Cryopod Changes in ASA

iDash

File a ticket. Wildcard used to wipe people who blocked obelisks, pillared/foundation spammed obscene amounts of land, blocked major waterways like the central river on Island, etc. Here is the list of rules:

PvE Specific Griefing

> Game Blocking - you are not allowed to block other tribes from playing the game on PvE servers. This can include but is not limited to:

• Building at their base

• Blocking in other tribes dinos

• Blocking access in/out of a tribes base

• Blocking access to important resources (ie. charge nodes, Extinction City Terminals, Orbital supply crates on Extinction, Teleporters, Dispatchers, or Mission Terminals and etc)

• Intentionally filling the server tame limit via spamming tames (such as Dodo, Jerboa, or easy to ‘tame and maintain’ dinos) and/or rafts

• Leaving tames inside of artifact caves or on obelisk teleportation platforms

• Leaving tames in mission areas or blocking mission areas with tames

> Structure Spamming - placing structures down such as pipes or wires for the purpose of disrupting others gameplay is against our code of conduct.

> Intentionally using wild creatures to destroy a player's base.

GM intervention may be necessary if your structure or creature is negatively impacting a server (ie. you block off a large portion of the map so that other members of that server cannot access it).

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 10:11 PM, CervantesMor said:

Showcase structure? Would it be the Chibi display stand? I don't think it's the base for Taxidermy or the pedestal for Artifacts.

Ok, later the first test will be to try to place the Cryofridge on the Paracer, immediately after I will try the exposure mode, finally I will go to tame 300 Dodos which will guarantee me space for breeding/taming when the Server  reaches the Server limit in a couple of days...

Taming 300 dodos will get you wiped by a GM. There are rules in this game. It's best to avoid doing things that not only break the rules, but could potentially get you in trouble due to misunderstanding. And yes, i know this from experience.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 12:21 AM, raxus said:

They shouldn't roll out this cryopod changes until they fix foundation spamming in PVE. It is annoying that even the obelisks areas have foundations all around. One of the servers I was in walled off one of the obelisks. 

I don't know if this also applies in PVP but I'm in an Official PVE Server and it's not allowed to build around the Obelisks in a much wider radius than ARK:SE (which was right outside the teleportation radius, you could literally surround the platform ), practically up to the gigantic rock columns that surround them, a change that I personally appreciated.

PS:

Similarly welcome now in ASA (PVE yes, in PVP I don't know but they would still be destructible) it is not allowed to build on the peak of the mountains for a large radius, to protect rare Resources.

Just as it is not possible to build in a small radius around the Sky Drops.

I'm surprised they decided NOT to do this for Explore Notes though...

...the rest is appreciated.

10 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

Taming 300 dodos will get you wiped by a GM. There are rules in this game. It's best to avoid doing things that not only break the rules, but could potentially get you in trouble due to misunderstanding. And yes, i know this from experience.

if I have to be honest, that would be the last of the resources if there were no alternatives (300 Dodo is more of a symbolic way of saying, but it explains the concept well) and in fact I still don't know if WC intends to limit this problem by putting a "block releasing Cryopods when Tribe Limit is reached" [[which in my opinion is an obvious implementation to do]]..

Honestly my first approach yesterday was:

- understand how the Fridge radius works

- discover that it doesn't it is possible to place them on Platform Saddle and on Raft

- fly immediately to see if the other Tribes of the Server are reorganizing their Dinos well or if instead they are using the "last resort: 300 Dodos" tactic (fortunately the situation seems good)

- use the Server chat to find common ground and maintain the best mutual collaboration.

Obviously this is in PVE where luckily we haven't reached the Server Limit yet, let's hope we can all work with a common cause :)

Edited by CervantesMor

Wildcard simply never listen to community
We never asked for such bad update

That new cryopod feature is a joke, you can't save a dino being murdered by cryopoding it, you can't unpod dino if too far away from a fridge.
That's ridiculous, and that's putting even more pressure on servers cause your client asking server if you can pod/unpod

Stop being sausages seriously and start listening !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The problems:

• PVE and PVP are two different styles of gameplay and need to be catered to as such. Blanket "fixes" or "changes" are not always good for one style of gameplay.
  • These changes coupled with the: YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 3 GENERATORS NEARBY are dumb.
  • If you dont want folks on PVE to bring cryoed dinos into caves, great. but then revert the stupid generator crap or expand the range on generators to cover more area.
  • The 5 min timer after setting  up a cryofridge: why is this in PVE? What is the purpose?
  • Like 2

I think it's fair to say the Cryopod feature has been limited to just being a dino storage for the base. From a PvE perspective, once again it's a feature unnecessarily nerfed to the ground also compounded by the Rhynio transport nerf.  

It's a shame that we need to keep relying on modders to undo the unpopular changes Wildcard make. I mean surely the popularity of certain mods like that should be a clear indicators of what players want 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2023 at 6:04 AM, CervantesMor said:

I don't know if this also applies in PVP but I'm in an Official PVE Server and it's not allowed to build around the Obelisks in a much wider radius than ARK:SE (which was right outside the teleportation radius, you could literally surround the platform ), practically up to the gigantic rock columns that surround them, a change that I personally appreciated.

PS:

Similarly welcome now in ASA (PVE yes, in PVP I don't know but they would still be destructible) it is not allowed to build on the peak of the mountains for a large radius, to protect rare Resources.

Just as it is not possible to build in a small radius around the Sky Drops.

I'm surprised they decided NOT to do this for Explore Notes though...

...the rest is appreciated.

new server I'm in is a bit better, but still people doing foundation and pillar spam. I know they removed the pillar+ladder build but people just went 2 pillars + ladder.

I wish WC just do it like starcraft pylon style or at least like how the zergs build. 

Tribes start with something like tribal idol that allows the tribe to build structures near it, every structure added increases the range. only a few idols will be given to a tribe etc.

As of the moment, my server has small 2x1 buildings with generators and fridges all over the map.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, raxus said:

new server I'm in is a bit better, but still people doing foundation and pillar spam. I know they removed the pillar+ladder build but people just went 2 pillars + ladder.

I wish WC just do it like starcraft pylon style or at least like how the zergs build. 

Tribes start with something like tribal idol that allows the tribe to build structures near it, every structure added increases the range. only a few idols will be given to a tribe etc.

As of the moment, my server has small 2x1 buildings with generators and fridges all over the map.

I like the tribal idol idea, especially if it stops pillar spam all over the map.

2 hours ago, raxus said:

Also @Noricha

Question: How exactly is that different from pillars?

In ARK you can build an object on the ground that claims a zone of terrain around it for your tribe. Or... in Starcraft you can build an object on the ground that claims a zone of terrain around it for your tribe.

If there's something different between those two things please explain.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Also @Noricha

Question: How exactly is that different from pillars?

In ARK you can build an object on the ground that claims a zone of terrain around it for your tribe. Or... in Starcraft you can build an object on the ground that claims a zone of terrain around it for your tribe.

If there's something different between those two things please explain.

If a tribe has a limited number of pylons, then it can only build in so many areas. In theory, it'd solve the problem. In practice, I'm sure somebody would find a way to break the system.

• Thanks 1

If everyone is only given one or two of these tribal poles to build around, then they would be forced to only build near their pole location which would have a range similar maybe to a feeding trough.  But of course it’s doubtful that this would work.  The cryofridges will become the new pillar spam anyway.  Cryos should have been left alone.

5 hours ago, zero064 said:

If a tribe has a limited number of pylons, then it can only build in so many areas. In theory, it'd solve the problem. In practice, I'm sure somebody would find a way to break the system.

That's still not different from ARK, not in a way that really matters, WildCard could already do that with pillars. WC already has the option to limit how many structures a tribe could put down, or the size of the land a tribe can build on, or any other way of limiting their ability to claim.

The problems with any alternative system that's ever been proposed is that they all lack flexibility and/or they ignore the fact that ARK is a sandbox game.

Example: Is a tribe of 3 people who are really active less deserving of claiming 10,000 tiles of territory than a tribe of 6 people who are barely active? Why should 3 players who are highly active get fewer pylons than 6 players who barely log in often enough to keep their base alive?

Example: What if a tribe has 10 people, and they get pylons based on their tribe size, but then 6 of the people leave the tribe. Should the people who are still playing have some of their buildings destroyed because some people left their tribe? Why should they be punished for losing tribe members if they're still able to maintain their base?

Example: What if a tribe wants to allow their neighbors to expand a building by 5 tiles? A system that uses a large amount of land per pylon would prevent people from engaging in this kind of cooperation, and a system that uses a small amount of per pylon would be identical to the current system of pillars.

There are many examples and scenarios that we could discuss, but the fundamental flaw of any alternatives are that they lack the flexible, dynamic characteristics that the current system offers. Even if you believe that the current system has problems the alternative solutions like your pylons example all introduce new, different problems if they are used instead of pillars.

The whole point of using a different system should be that it fixes any problems with the current system and does not introduce any new problems. Getting rid of the current problems only to introduce new problems doesn't actually fix anything, it just creates different problems.