Ark Ascended Questions

Justin990406

"Unreal Engine 5 (UE5) is designed to allow developers to create games that can run on multiple platforms, including consoles and PCs, using the same codebase. This is achieved through UE5's cross-platform capabilities and optimizations. Developers can write their game logic and features once and then target different platforms without having to rewrite significant portions of the code."

based on that would say only one version of code

On 8/21/2023 at 5:50 PM, ancojo said:

so my question is simply does this mean that console versions will not be released at the same time as the PC version?

That's what we should assume. WildCard is going to be pretty desperate to get ASA published to PC as fast as possible, so it only seems logical that they're going to put consoles on the back burner until they are able to roll it out to PC.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

One can't help but wonder which part of that post confused you so much, maybe all the big words or possibly the math was too complicated for you.

Maybe the part where I don't read even half of your bull poop. You replied to me and I didn't read it. Does anyone read it?

Yet you will probably even respond to this with pages of crap. I guess whatever floats your boat and gets your post count up.

• Facepalm 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:30 PM, invincibleqc said:

From the original announcement:

Not like Wildcard hasn't gone back on their "word" before, as other devs have.

If they are short on money then I can see them doing further stupid things like making it an exclusive epic store game or such...

The whole overwolf for mods is borderline deal breaker for us. Won't be buying it until we have more information, and hopefully we can still load mods on pc outside of overwolf for our own servers. We don't need more bloated spyware crap on our systems.

6 hours ago, wildbill said:

Maybe the part where I don't read even half of your bull poop. You replied to me and I didn't read it. Does anyone read it?

Yet you will probably even respond to this with pages of crap. I guess whatever floats your boat and gets your post count up.

Translation: You're afraid of an honest discussion.

8 minutes ago, GP said:

Rumours by people that don't know what they are reading. Just because financial agreements stipulate PC doesn't mean console is getting delayed.

Hopefully this is the case and all versions are released at the same time in a playable state but with everything else thats happened over the history of Ark I wouldn't be surprised if console versions are delayed. Also to finish your point, it also doesn't state console isn't getting delayed which is obviously going to lead to people wondering if this will be the case?

Just to add I understand your point which is probably in regards to my post, I could have worded it better.

Edited by ancojo
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 3:26 PM, GP said:

Rumours by people that don't know what they are reading. Just because financial agreements stipulate PC doesn't mean console is getting delayed.

However, basic logic says that it's a real possibility that can't be ignored.

The two companies had plenty of opportunity to negotiate, it's pretty darned reasonable to assume that WildCard negotiated the deadline to be only PC in order to give themselves wiggle room on the console schedule. And for a change, I'm not saying that to criticize WildCard. Lots of companies have a staged rollout doing different platforms on separate schedules.

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension and everything to do with drawing reasonable conclusions based on WildCard's stated difficulties making UE5 work combined with the fact that consoles are conspicuously omitted from the schedule in the contractual agreement. It's not like either company just forgot that consoles exist, they're not dummies, it's pretty obvious that contractually agreeing only on the PC release was a deliberate choice by both parties.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ancojo said:

Hopefully this is the case and all versions are released at the same time in a playable state but with everything else thats happened over the history of Ark I wouldn't be surprised if console versions are delayed. Also to finish your point, it also doesn't state console isn't getting delayed which is obviously going to lead to people wondering if this will be the case?

Just to add I understand your point which is probably in regards to my post, I could have worded it better.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

However, basic logic says that it's a real possibility that can't be ignored.

The two companies had plenty of opportunity to negotiate, it's pretty darned reasonable to assume that WildCard negotiated the deadline to be only PC in order to give themselves wiggle room on the console schedule. And for a change, I'm not saying that to criticize WildCard. Lots of companies have a staged rollout doing different platforms on separate schedules.

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension and everything to do with drawing reasonable conclusions based on WildCard's stated difficulties making UE5 work combined with the fact that consoles are conspicuously omitted from the schedule in the contractual agreement. It's not like either company just forgot that consoles exist, they'renot dummies, it's pretty obvious that contractually agreeing only on the PC release was a deliberate choice by both parties.

and to these objective reasonings, it is instinctive to add (given the situation that has arisen, and given their need to recover money) also some malicious thoughts: 

Would Rentals be incentivized given that ASE will still be shut down for PC/XBox/PS in September even though ASA would initially only be available on PC and not for Console users?

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

It's not like either company just forgot that consoles exist, they'renot dummies, it's pretty obvious that contractually agreeing only on the PC release was a deliberate choice by both parties.

5 hours ago, Donastator said:

so I heard we have to pay for asa now, so is it true that they will shut down ark? I just bought my friend a copy and dont want it to be a waste of money.

ARK isn't being shut down, but the official servers are very soon. Lots of other ways to play ARK, but it all depends if you are a PC or console player and how you like to play the game (like single player, online, etc.).

BTW, you are asking this in the ASA thread, which is the new version coming out soon, but no need to upgrade immediately after it comes out. Keep playing the version you bought as long as you can. 

• Volunteer Moderator
On 8/24/2023 at 2:34 PM, ancojo said:

I suspect consoles will be very delayed. 

On 7/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Justin990406 said:

Can anyone actually in full detail explain to me what is happening with Ark Ascended because I cannot find anything detailed or in depth about how it will work. Do we get to transfer everything from Ark to Ark Ascended or is it a new fresh start? Are the old servers being shut down as we speak or will they be shut down after the release of Ark Ascended? Why bring out Ark Ascended when Ark 2 is on the way? Are all the original dinos from Ark going to Ark Ascended and if so can we get a few changes with certain dinosaurs such as for example the Spinosaurus? Are the same maps going to be on Ark Ascended as they are on Ark? Are we getting any new maps? When is the official release date for Ark Ascended?

No details but two things you need to have before all.

1. PC able to run 5.2 UE engine with all its functions.

2. A lot of patience.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I suspect consoles will be very delayed. 

Depends on Sony/Microsoft certification, since UE5 has multiplatform access,  then there is the question, since there is multiplatform access will there be console servers and PC servers, or just PC servers, if just PC servers that would mean less certs from Sony/Microsoft

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Frack said:

Depends on Sony/Microsoft certification, since UE5 has multiplatform access,  then there is the question, since there is multiplatform access will there be console servers and PC servers, or just PC servers, if just PC servers that would mean less certs from Sony/Microsoft

Won't have anything to do with certification. 

The ports won't be ready. They are probably crunching just to get the PC version out in time. 

16 hours ago, Frack said:

since UE5 is multiplatform why are they doing just PC?

Even with UE5 being multiplatform there is still at least a little bit of work that is needed to run a game on each platform, especially a larger game like ARK. It's possible that they might be able to roll out on consoles at the same time, but I wouldn't count on it. The contract they signed with Nitrado only specifies PC, so obviously they're going to focus on PC first so they can meet that deadline without paying any extra money if they can help it.

In theory it's not that hard to publish a game to multiple platforms, but when you look at WildCard's history there is usually a surprisingly large amount of time between their PC releases and the other platforms. WildCard might surprise us and do consoles at the same time, or even very soon after PC, but based on their history I wouldn't count on that happening, there will probably be a time delay.