Fix some of the obvious bugs and glitches before starting anything new

AstraRune

Fix some of the obvious bugs and glitches before starting anything new

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets frustrated when they encounter a very obvious, which may or may not have been there for years.

Your left wondering why it hasn't been fixed yet or why no one seems to know about it.

Well, my suggestion is before Wildcard starts adding new features to the game, can they please spend something focusing on fixing some of these simple glitches withing the game.

A few examples I can think of would be:

The force max level (which is a single player feature which force dinos to spawn at level 150 no matter which map) not working.

The unicorn skin not appearing when placing a dermis in the taxidermy station. 

The imprint on Rock Drakes saying it wants a walk when it really wants a cuddle.

Wyvern eggs not disappearing when they completely decay. 

Trying to transfer items and dinos to another map in single player and the game crashing causing you to loose all that stuff.

(There maybe other bugs or glitches which I haven't encountered or listed. If you tell me about them I'd be happy to add some of them to the list. These are just a few things I have encountered which have caused problems for me in the past.)

I know a lot of players want new features, like new dinos, or more maps, but I think that adding these things now might only lead to more bugs and glitches being added to an ever growing pile of problems. 

So please Wildcard, before you undertake your next big project please clean up the messes left by your previous ones.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Please don’t submit bug-fix requests to the game suggestions. 

Thank you. 

Somebody suggesting bug fix priorities over new game content. But, I thought we already had the final release of expansions, and thus anything from here is bug fixes and events. Anyways, doubtful any game is going to be 100% complete. More like acceptable levels of fixes. But yeah, General is fine, as it could be a good open discussion about bug priorities.

?

On 5/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, SMP said:

All game companies have to balance making their game as reliable as possible with generating revenue. 

So years later and people just accept the fact that they have to duck to get in some doors, depending on how the doorway is snapped. We have all gotten used to it and accept it as part of the gameplay, so this will never be fixed. Why fix it? The players accept that bug, so they work on new stuff instead.

^^^ x 100 = Why old bugs don't get fixed.

If the player accepts the bug as part of the gameplay and it does not prevent their progression, the bug does not get any priority whatsoever. Fact of life, sucks..... but true.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 5/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, SMP said:

Bug fixes don't sell new copies of the game, unfortunately.  All game companies have to balance making their game as reliable as possible with generating revenue.  Also, some fixes would require more effort than they're worth, relegating them to low-priority status.

Pretty much this.

Here is a good read on software bugs for the non-programmer:

https://m.signalvnoise.com/software-has-bugs-this-is-normal/

21 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Pretty much this.

Here is a good read on software bugs for the non-programmer:

https://m.signalvnoise.com/software-has-bugs-this-is-normal/

On 5/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, SMP said:

Bug fixes don't sell new copies of the game, unfortunately.  All game companies have to balance making their game as reliable as possible with generating revenue.  Also, some fixes would require more effort than they're worth, relegating them to low-priority status. 

Software bugs are normal (not always for example in critical environments they can even cause death). What is not normal is not fixing known bugs.

And its not normal for two main reasons:

- It makes the product lose value and quality.

- It decreases the reputation of the company that created the product.

As a developer (and I can consider one even though im much more in the devops world) is a must for me to fix what I broke when I intruduce new functionalities (unless im clear unprepared to do the task im doing, but if I am considered a senior in the matter I cannot say excuses, I just need to keep thinking in how to fix and why it got buged). If Im working for a customer and I introduce a lot of bugs, if I cannot fix that bugs im fired. This has always worked like that.

Look what is happening to atlas. Lot of ppl bough it in the hope of the company would have learned from the past errors and not gonna introduce so much bugs since the beggining. It was not the case. Ppl, that knew this could happen because former experience still buyed, but got tilted fast and leaved the game to not come back. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, arkark said:

What is not normal is not fixing known bugs.

That goes entirely against everything written in the article.

I've worked in software companies (sys admin/DevOps/QA) . The article is spot on. It's very common to not fix known bugs. Most pieces of software have hundreds if not thousands of bugs (if they have a good QA team). In fact, most known bugs do not and never get fixed.

Whether or not a bug gets fixed is always a matter of time/cost vs ROI.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, AstraRune said:

(There maybe other bugs or glitches which I haven't encountered or listed. If you tell me about them I'd be happy to add some of them to the list. These are just a few things I have encountered which have caused problems for me in the past.)

A significant one to add would be the Artifact of the Skylord not respawning on the Island in Singleplayer.

5 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That goes entirely against everything written in the article.

I've worked in software companies (sys admin/DevOps/QA) . The article is spot on. It's very common to not fix known bugs. Most pieces of software have hundreds if not thousands of bugs (if they have a good QA team). In fact, most known bugs do not and never get fixed.

Whether or not a bug gets fixed is always a matter of time/cost vs ROI.

Check the github of the main product of the guy who wrote the article. 370 bugs opened, 12.262 fixed. Most of the known bugs are fixed, and if you check the older ones, it is more the devs not accepting this is a bug, leading to discrepancy between if it really needs to be fixed or not. He may say a thing, but he is doing another with his most loved creature.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, arkark said:

He may say a thing, but he is doing another with his most loved creature.

Running a little side gig off GitHub is very different than in a large organization where you have tens or hundreds of developers/QA/Project Managers.

Night and day.

While annoying, run these commands to wipe dragon eggs out of the nest. It only affects the nests and not an egg that has since been in a players inventory so is great for getting rid of potential spoiled eggs.

Destroy Wyvern Eggs:

cheat destroyall DroppedItemGeneric_FertilizedEgg_NoPhysicsWyvern_C

Destroy Rock Drake Eggs:

cheat destroyall DroppedItemGeneric_FertilizedEgg_RockDrake_NoPhysics_C

If it doesn't make money, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, if you guys can figure out a way to pay a software engineer a living wage to go fix bugs beyond the products lifecycle, go right ahead. Typically these things only occur if there is a way for the community to modify the game via player installed mods. But for a multiplayer game with Battleye, uh, I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Destroy Wyvern Eggs:

cheat destroyall DroppedItemGeneric_FertilizedEgg_NoPhysicsWyvern_C 

Destroy Rock Drake Eggs:

cheat destroyall DroppedItemGeneric_FertilizedEgg_RockDrake_NoPhysics_C 

I tried these commands in RCON with and without cheat, and it replied with "command returned no data". Does that mean it worked or not?

Also at fault is Ark's purchase model.  A one-time fee to purchase the game doesn't bring in the dollars that monthly sub fees do.  Would those of you complaining about a lack of fixes be willing to pay $10-20 a month to play Ark if it meant those issues were addressed?  Would you be willing to continue paying those fees for months or years after the problems got fixed?

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

With over 3,818 people writing code for David, I would expect some bugs to get fixed. :D

Well, 3818 developers would have introduced really a lot of bugs. Much more than 12k, if they dont care about doing good code (and probably bugs are there, but I guess they have the metodology to detect most of them during test and dont bring them to production release).

Also, the guy says in the article not to blame developers, but read what he said some months ago:

"Worth noting here is that the 3rd generation membrane keyboard did nothing to fix the issues. Six out of thirteen – nearly half!! – of the 2018+ MacBooks we have at the company have a failed keyboard.I backed up those figures with a Twitter poll that has over 7,000 respondents already. That’s a 63% failure rate!! But Apple is only seeing 11% of those, as the vast majority of customers are simply just living with their broken computer:

image-1.png?w=640&ssl=1

This is a disaster. A complete unmitigated disaster."

He did not not only blame engineers, he also made poll on twitter to sustain his arguments and spread the bugs. I dont see him predicting with what he says. Starting to doubt if he made the article you posted as a justification after someone blamed at some of his products.

10 minutes ago, SMP said:

Also at fault is Ark's purchase model.  A one-time fee to purchase the game doesn't bring in the dollars that monthly sub fees do.  Would those of you complaining about a lack of fixes be willing to pay $10-20 a month to play Ark if it meant those issues were addressed?  Would you be willing to continue paying those fees for months or years after the problems got fixed?

I've already said several times in other posts that I wouldn't have any problem paying about $15 a month for immediate and in-game GM support. Like I've done with wow during several years.

Just to remove the headaches of losing chars/dinos and wait for months for compensation, or reporting a lagged server to be moved to a server with better resources, it would be totally worth.

4 hours ago, arkark said:

I've already said several times in other posts that I wouldn't have any problem paying about $15 a month for immediate and in-game GM support. Like I've done with wow during several years.

Just to remove the headaches of losing chars/dinos and wait for months for compensation, or reporting a lagged server to be moved to a server with better resources, it would be totally worth.

Damn, sounds like you've had some tough luck.  I've been playing for years and never had a reason to submit a ticket.   I definitely wouldn't pay a sub fee to improve the response time in the event that I ever do need something fixed.

1 hour ago, SMP said:

Damn, sounds like you've had some tough luck.  I've been playing for years and never had a reason to submit a ticket.   I definitely wouldn't pay a sub fee to improve the response time in the event that I ever do need something fixed.

I have more than 9k hours in game. I've experienced character and dino lost several times, also my body after dieing has dissapeared or was visible but in unreachable places. I've experienced some time framed weird bugs like the one that insta killed players and tames because of a lava volume when they released tek cave. Also some dinos and my whole base was destroyed by a meteorite while in extinction release... In extinction also I've been hit by a OSD that fell 30 seconds after harvesting a vein in the same place. A tuso put my mosa under the map. A reaper queen glitched half of the body of my drake under the terrain. Some day I disconnected while farming metal in karkinos + anky, and when I came back the anky that was being grabbed by the karkinos dissapeared.

I've wasted 200 element to kill a titan, just to see how the body went under the world. I've reported it as a bug with video evidence. Nothing been done. I would have appreciated a dev responding my bug report saying thank you for report and here is your loot.

Probably the only bug I've not experienced by myself is that one that kills the player while using the climbing pick, and thats because I know this bug exists and Im not using the climbing pick to prevent that.

Just some weeks ago, in the last eggcellence event, I had the very bad luck my scorched server was in the same physical machine as a very crowded ragna server. Every time I found a phoenix I could not tame it because the server was rebooting every few hours, resulting in the phoenix spawn dissapearing and appearing in another place. I tried during the first event days, I reported the server, I keep trying, I got tilted, I keep trying more times, I reported again. Nothing was done. I ended giving up.

Yes, I would pay to have a support that comes in minutes and solves *all* of that (maybe the issues with servers very laggy or repeteadly crashing not inmediate, but in the next work hours, without the need of lot of people reporting the outage).

Has anyone considered that money isn’t the issue? The only benefit I can see at this point would be hiring more people to exclusively fix bugs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it would speed up the process if it’s a complex issue. Also, what people are forgetting is not only may Wildcard need to hire more people, those people have to want to work for them. This issue was addressed in legacy; they may have the money but why would someone choose Wildcard if they have a better opportunity somewhere else? 

People say they would be happy to pay a subscription but what happens if there are still the same problems, but now you are just paying for it?

2 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

People say they would be happy to pay a subscription but what happens if there are still the same problems, but now you are just paying for it?

I would pay for a subscription with immediate in-game support.

Lets focus on the bug that cause players to lost the char during transfers. We know it is hard to fix, otherwise they would have already fixed it. Let say now there is a workaround that involves having to reply you ticket but may take weeks, plus getting an appoinment date, that would be one more month. For me it would be worth to pay if I get triggered by that bug, just press escape and click on request assitance, and have the char restored exactly like it was, in about 10 minutes.

Archived