Are Cryopods the answer to PvE tame cap?

Midnight_

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Lets remove dinos from the game too then, since that is clearly the root of cap problems. 

They did that. --> No Tame servers. And you can see for yourself if that is a reasonable solution. though I am pretty sure that the motivation for that game type had little to do with making a solution for tame cap issues.

@Demerus Do you not have anymore to add to the discussion? Or are you just making wacky posts to increase post count?

I do no think cryopods will have the effect the devs say they think it will. If anything cryopods will hurt tame cap issues.

One of the many possible ways it can cause more issues for tame cap than help:

EXAMPLE: One player (Lets call him Bob) with 11 survivors created on 11 different servers. Bob has 1000 dinos on each server.  500 tames placing Bob at tribe limit on each server plus an additional 500 in cryopods on each server. Nothing wrong so far. Bob is using the game mechanics and the tribe limits are working as they should. 

WC creates a NEW server. Bob brings his survivors one at a time to the new server and instantly puts out 500 dinos using the cryopods from each of his survivors. That is 5500 dinos. Tame cap! Bob in essence owns an official server. No other players can have dinos on that server.

Now I know my example has many flaws in it for actual game play. For example I might be off on the exact number for tame cap ( it is what I think it is base on old information), other players will be able to tame a few dinos before bob can release all 5500 dinos, also I am pretty sure that most new servers do not allow survivor or dino transfers for a month or two. It is the concept that I am concerned about. Whether it is being use on a new server or old server. Also the same thing is happening now without the cryopods. My point is - I do not think cryopods are an answer in to the tame cap issue. There is a concept there on how they CAN help with the tame cap. It just wont - in my opinion. It requires players to go along with the idea and self regulate dinos they have out. Players already can do that but have not.

8 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

@Demerus Do you not have anymore to add to the discussion? Or are you just making wacky posts to increase post count?

I do no think cryopods will have the effect the devs say they think it will. If anything cryopods will hurt tame cap issues.

One of the many possible ways it can cause more issues for tame cap than help:

EXAMPLE: One player (Lets call him Bob) with 11 survivors created on 11 different servers. Bob has 1000 dinos on each server.  500 tames placing Bob at tribe limit on each server plus an additional 500 in cryopods on each server. Nothing wrong so far. Bob is using the game mechanics and the tribe limits are working as they should. 

WC creates a NEW server. Bob brings his survivors one at a time to the new server and instantly puts out 500 dinos using the cryopods from each of his survivors. That is 5500 dinos. Tame cap! Bob in essence owns an official server. No other players can have dinos on that server.

Now I know my example has many flaws in it for actual game play. For example I might be off on the exact number for tame cap ( it is what I think it is base on old information), other players will be able to tame a few dinos before bob can release all 5500 dinos, also I am pretty sure that most new servers do not allow survivor or dino transfers for a month or two. It is the concept that I am concerned about. Whether it is being use on a new server or old server. Also the same thing is happening now without the cryopods. My point is - I do not think cryopods are an answer in to the tame cap issue. There is a concept there on how they CAN help with the tame cap. It just wont - in my opinion. It requires players to go along with the idea and self regulate dinos they have out. Players already can do that but have not.

You keep bringing up the same points over and over again. We get it, you don't want cryopods to be claimable. 

What is your solution to tame cap? Is it different compared to 100's of player over the last 2+ years constantly complaining/suggesting about tame cap problems and fixes for it?

As far as I'm concerned cryopods are the answer, sure they will be abused but that is easy to report and WC will deal with it like everything else in time. The point is, it is a solution so lets be happy it will remove tames from global cap and reduce maintenance because that is what me and a lot of players want.

It will be good for the game it will be good QOL for the community, no matter what or how you feel. Cryo is the best WC can do right now.

1 minute ago, Demerus said:

What is your solution to tame cap?

More servers. 

Trying to limit how many dinos has not worked. Tribes just make another survivor and ally with the new survivors tribe so they can feed them with troughs so they can have 1000 dinos on the server...or more. 

There is an actual limit to how many dinos that a survivor can have. And that limit is how much time they want to spend gathering food to feed them. 

For example a new solo player might be happy with 60 dinos. That is all they want to spend time feeding/caring for. Another mega tribe that has say 10 members might be comfortable taking the time to feed and care for 8000 dinos spread out across 16 servers. That is thier limits. That is when they stop taming/breeding. And if they want more they sell or kill or now with cryopods can reduce what they have to keep that status quo.

Only when there are enough servers to handle what the current population of players calls their own personal limit will there then be enough room to comfortably accommodate new players and allow tame capped servers to be more consistently off tame cap. Right now the number of dinos players want on PvE is much higher than the space available on current list of official servers. And the players are find ways around tribe limits and other artificial limits to have what they want.

19 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

More servers. 

Trying to limit how many dinos has not worked. Tribes just make another survivor and ally with the new survivors tribe so they can feed them with troughs so they can have 1000 dinos on the server...or more. 

There is an actual limit to how many dinos that a survivor can have. And that limit is how much time they want to spend gathering food to feed them. 

For example a new solo player might be happy with 60 dinos. That is all they want to spend time feeding/caring for. Another mega tribe that has say 10 members might be comfortable taking the time to feed and care for 8000 dinos spread out across 16 servers. That is thier limits. That is when they stop taming/breeding. And if they want more they sell or kill or now with cryopods can reduce what they have to keep that status quo.

Only when there are enough servers to handle what the current population of players calls their own personal limit will there then be enough room to comfortably accommodate new players and allow tame capped servers to be more consistently off tame cap. Right now the number of dinos players want on PvE is much higher than the space available on current list of official servers. And the players are find ways around tribe limits and other artificial limits to have what they want.

Already been done. All have been capped. I know because I know many people who moved to the new servers and all ended up capped eventually. I used to have the same philosophy as you of the new server mentality, I learned quickly that it wasn't a long term solution.

Look deeper. Do you know what the actual problems are which need to fix everything to do with tame cap?

Problem: breeding is broken. The need to have 100's of the same dino in hopes to stack mutations quicker. Mute chance is way too low.

Problem: kibble is broken. The need to have hundreds of AFK dinos laying eggs slowly to make kibble to tame more dinos.

Problem: Multiple color events promote player's desire to collect and breed more color dinos

Problem: each tribe needing boss teams of 20 dinos plus another 20 for backup due to wipe bugs, plus another 20 for egg production to replace said boss team, etc, etc.

New servers will be for extinction and whatever other PVP specialty servers WC cooks up next. Going past that, it is not financially viable as there will be no revenue being generated to keep all the servers running. Unless they do another season pass or micro transactions I doubt any major expanding on the game itself outside of modders will be done.

8 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Already been done. All have been capped.

It has not been done. They have yet to open up enough servers to accommodate all the players. The fact that as soon as they open up a new server it gets capped in a month or two is the case and point as to why more servers are needed. My personal guess (I don't really have data to make an accurate guess...WC has the data though) is that they need to double....tripple....maybe even quadruple the current number of PvE servers to make any kinda of dent and to have any real progress on the tame cap issue. I can say for a certainty that if that added 100 new PvE servers the players would spread out. Current servers would thin out enough for the tame cap to go down and stay down and the new server would likely never cap. Because there would be enough space to accommodate all the players.

The problem with that of course is cost. Server cost money. They want to earn money not spend it on improving the game. This cryopod idea is a zero cost solution....and I think it will have an equally zero effect on the tame issue. 

If anything in the new DLC has a chance of effecting tame cap it would be that many will be on the new maps (more servers) and for a few months the tame cap on old servers will have a chance to go down. ....until a few months when players send all the new dinos back to the old servers to show off once transfers become allowed.. But only the fact that new PvE servers will be created for the new DLC will we see a positive effect on tame cap, and even that will be offset by the number of new players joining the game due to advertising.

Hopefully wildcard thought of some obvious loop holes that I thought of right off the bat.. just think , infinite amount of dinos can be stored.. this is giving jerks the oppurtnity to on purposely tame cap a server in a matter of momments just by spamming out his inventory of infinite dinos out in the ark till its capped. 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:35 PM, ishootpaint said:

Are you the same greenroc from the Center server I play on?

Yes! Hi there!

On 10/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, Demerus said:

All i know is the cryo will be a godsend for heavy traders such as myself. I no longer have to feel guilty for having a few extra tames sitting around waiting to be sold. I can breed what i want ahead of time and freeze everything so on a weekend i want to relax and do my own personal breeding projects i will be able to focus on those instead of breeding for other people. 

An order comes in for some mammals, pop open the cryo grab a couple pokeballs and im off to the obi to trade. Done deal and i honestly cant wait for less chores/upkeep omg it will be glorious. Ill actually be able to play other games now.

YES!!! GLorious!!! Cant Wait! More games, less upkeep! We have many tames from other tribemembers who havent played in a few months and we have been keeping their tames alive. Would be so nice to pack them away into a cryo chamber so we dont have to keep feeding them while they are playing other games, or dealing with life... whatever the case may be.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:32 AM, Demerus said:

even if these cryopods cause folks to freeze thousands of dinos they don't need other tribes will capitalize on that and re cap the server within a month.

That'll be my prediction as well. Many existing servers that are at cap have more than 10 active tribes. 10 tribes x 500 dinos = 5000 Dinos. Cryo would make room for the tribes that dont have 500 dinos to have 500 dinos.

Frozen Children, I would like that. I hope they make it a thing.

I could finally raise a Giga. Last one I "tried" to raise, I had hatched rightwhen I woke up, but it died the next day while it was adolescent with 6 troughs full of meat... but I also had a spino being raised, that died too. That death was the last straw for me, and I completely quit legacy from that... but got pulled back into official a few weeks or months later. This purple giga, several generations worth, a gift from a breeder friend who quit Legacy ... this giga dying in adolescent stage while I slept for no more than 5 hours... was a game killer for me.

Gigas are my favorite meat harvesters. They are one of the essential working dinos for me... And I cannot raise them, because I need sleep.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:08 PM, Midnight_ said:

My point is - I do not think cryopods are an answer in to the tame cap issue. There is a concept there on how they CAN help with the tame cap. It just wont - in my opinion. It requires players to go along with the idea and self regulate dinos they have out. Players already can do that but have not.

Agreed. Back in Legacy when my tribe had 1500 dinos with a no-kill policy, we had to give away 500 dinos, and split into two tribes. Your example with Bob's 11 tribes, I can predict that would be a possibility. For someone who is introvert and sick of pillar spam and just wants to tame every single dino he sees, and breed every single color combination for every single species, I can imagine there are Ark players who would do just that. Why he would not go to singleplayer, because he would want a static server, one where he can log out, and the server is still going... and Bob unable to afford his own server would also be a reason Bob would do this on an Official.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:16 PM, Demerus said:

As far as I'm concerned cryopods are the answer

I disagree. Doesnt "fix", not a solution, not an answer. Cryo-Pods are a band-aid, a temp solution.

I am a player who wants to tame every single dino in sight, because they are there, and every wild is essentially tamable... I know I am not the only one. Tame caps only make me think twice about taming something. If there was no limit on tames, I'd easily tame over 1500 dinos.... because my Legacy Tribemate did just that (before caps were added), and I am a lot like her. She quit legacy to move to Unofficial, because she hated the limit, and server saves for LIVE legacy servers became available. Her old server is still around. I'm predicting I wont get Extinction for the fact that it is "harder" Current maps are hard enough, I want them easier, not harder. I hate dying, hate losing tames. I just want to build and tame and breed and collect and play with friends. Singleplayer can only do so much.

By the way, you didn't do the colors right. Gotta have a different color for each paragraph. Different colors help separate each paragraph, so all the white text doesn't look like a dull parathud that people would often complain by replying with "TL;DR". I find Midnight's posts interesting, easier to read since I need bigger text due to my eyes getting older. I like that they use colors that have good contrast against the background imo.

Would you please stop teasing midnight just because they post differently? If you don't like how they post, you can just stop reading. Please be nice :)

On 10/31/2018 at 1:12 PM, Midnight_ said:

They have yet to open up enough servers to accommodate all the players. The fact that as soon as they open up a new server it gets capped in a month or two is the case and point as to why more servers are needed.

Agreed 100%. Been there. I get on a new server, and it is capped in a few months. I wish they would open new servers of the popular maps. They dont need more aberration or SE, but they do need more Center and Raganrok imo. I am not sure about Island yet, but I plan to go hunt for one that is not tame capped, because I struggle to get enough boss dinos with two of my three servers tame capped, and I want access to the Dragon (Tek Transmitter WANT!!!). The one server that isnt capped is aberration, where I cannot move Theriz or Rexes, which are my boss dinos I am trying to raise.

Supply and Demand.

There is more demand than supply here... but it seems they dont have enough employees to handle the existing servers. As far as I am aware, only one or two ppl who are on the job to kick start PC servers when there's server issues. But that is only on what I remember, I could be mistaken. I know that I do not know with 100% certainty how many ppl are on that job.

More servers of the popular maps, enough to keep up with the demand, is what is needed to fix tame cap imo. That, or better servers (to increase how many tames a server can handle), but those solutions probably aren't a practical solution, financially. That stuff isnt cheap.

-----

All my posts are subject to my own personal opinion. 'imo' is not always stated with every sentence that is my own opinion. Any quote I post is not my own opinion, which may or may not agree with my own opinions, imo.

I dont look at forums everyday, so much has gone by that I have thoughts on!

On 10/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, Demerus said:

Problem: breeding is broken. The need to have 100's of the same dino in hopes to stack mutations quicker. Mute chance is way too low.

Problem: kibble is broken. The need to have hundreds of AFK dinos laying eggs slowly to make kibble to tame more dinos.

Problem: Multiple color events promote player's desire to collect and breed more color dinos

Problem: each tribe needing boss teams of 20 dinos plus another 20 for backup due to wipe bugs, plus another 20 for egg production to replace said boss team, etc, etc.

All of the above is why I have what I have, and I want more because of 'problem' 3 and 4. I cannot get all that I want/need because of tame cap.

The last problem alone is why I want to branch out onto another server, as currently I cannot get the boss dinos I "need". Current Boss Dino count: 3 (two Theriz, one Rex) I need at minimum 40 of each, for a total of 80 (20 theriz for team one against Dragon, 20 more theriz for team two in case team one gets wiped from bugs or my inexperience). That 80 isnt counting parents, and these will not be the best, because I do not have several generations worth of them to get the best stats. Higher base stats will be needed if I want to defeat the bosses.

Problem: Bosses require dinos that are bred with better than wild stats, in order to defeat the boss, to get all the Tek unlocked.

Up to 6 clean females at minimum, with one stat being the best it can be in the wild (40+ points in one stat is an acceptable stat imo). I'm still learning new things with breeding even with over 10k hours under my belt. I want a Transmitter, and I am hindered in obtaining this by the tame cap. I have been offered trips into boss fights with others on the server, but I don't feel good about using someone else's efforts to get something I want for myself. I want my boss dinos, my boss wins, to be 100% my own effort, but I cant get that anytime soon,  because I have to wait for an opening in the tame cap. Rexes for farming element (broodmother), Theriz to take down the Dragon, since Dragon is the one that gives the transmitter unlock. Also need Veggie Cakes for all the Theriz so they can heal, which means I need to get some honey from beehives, which means I need some bears. All this not counting all the kibble needed to get 100% imprints on all the babies. We dont have Dimetrodons, and only one Gallimimus. Of my three babies, two had to not get 100% due to lack of Gallimimus kibble, and how I sometimes sleep more than 8 hours.

I agree that a player is limited on their tames based on how many they can keep fed. From my experience in Legacy in a tribe by myself, I alone can keep 1000 dinos fed. That's 500 on two different servers. I did this over a year, probably only lost less than 20 dinos in that time from starvation. A Cryo Chamber would make time for me to have far more than that. With numerous servers, I may never know how many I can collect. Gotta catch em all. At least two of each. This is ARK. They come two by two.

For my 2 cents, Cryopods are not a solution.   They could potentially be part of a solution.

Here's what needs to happen:

1) Cryopods - First of all they -need to be easy-.    If these suckers take too much raw/rare material, especially if they take extinction exclusive rare mats (think red gems from aberration), they will fail.    These need to be accessible to everyone, I'd like it to be  a universal engram but at max they should just take a visit to an extinction map and use common materials like metal, oil and sparkpowder or such.   It'd be a super facepalm moment if the cryo storage needed to be powered by a tek generator.

2) There needs to be a cap on transfers in a given day.    Our NA Island server has several [][][] tribes who transferred over with pre-built walls and pillars and ceilings, creating instant giant boxes out of stone.   They then transferred in as many dinos as they can till the server was capped (IE using our server for storage).    Once they have  a ton of dinos, they log in once a week or so to feed them and then done.   No contribution to the server community, our server is literally just a storage unit to them.     I would say cap transfers per character to 10 a day per character, at least it'd take more effort to do the above and it'd be harder for them to "instant cap".    

3) Been said a million times, but the kibble situation needs fixing.   A tek item that can store genetic material and create eggs (say 25 per element) on demand would be a great solution.   So much server space is taken by the necessity of working up the kibble tree and keeping imprint layers going indefinitely, with no other use or purpose than to randomly get eggs.   And the more afk dinos you have, the more eggs you get.

57 minutes ago, Migol said:

For my 2 cents, Cryopods are not a solution.   They could potentially be part of a solution.

Here's what needs to happen:

1) Cryopods - First of all they -need to be easy-.    If these suckers take too much raw/rare material, especially if they take extinction exclusive rare mats (think red gems from aberration), they will fail.    These need to be accessible to everyone, I'd like it to be  a universal engram but at max they should just take a visit to an extinction map and use common materials like metal, oil and sparkpowder or such.   It'd be a super facepalm moment if the cryo storage needed to be powered by a tek generator.

2) There needs to be a cap on transfers in a given day.    Our NA Island server has several [][][] tribes who transferred over with pre-built walls and pillars and ceilings, creating instant giant boxes out of stone.   They then transferred in as many dinos as they can till the server was capped (IE using our server for storage).    Once they have  a ton of dinos, they log in once a week or so to feed them and then done.   No contribution to the server community, our server is literally just a storage unit to them.     I would say cap transfers per character to 10 a day per character, at least it'd take more effort to do the above and it'd be harder for them to "instant cap".    

3) Been said a million times, but the kibble situation needs fixing.   A tek item that can store genetic material and create eggs (say 25 per element) on demand would be a great solution.   So much server space is taken by the necessity of working up the kibble tree and keeping imprint layers going indefinitely, with no other use or purpose than to randomly get eggs.   And the more afk dinos you have, the more eggs you get.

Lot's of great points. I do not agree with all of it like the " I would say cap transfers per character to 10 a day per character, at least it'd take more effort to do the above and it'd be harder for them to "instant cap".    I do see issues with that at least. 

#3 is what I think we should capitalize on. Kibble system = bad for tame cap. And this could have (and still can) be a solution to that. --> Freeze all egg layers and they still lay eggs in storage (like honey is made in a hive) and the egg are already collected in the cryofridge. I can totally see ALL survivors striving to get the troublesome egg layers in fridges so they don't have to feed them. THAT would most definitely help with the tame cap. Not a solution but definitely a direct help.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:31 PM, RageQuitter said:

It's way too op though in it's current state, give it the current egg laying mechanics so you need mate & ovi boost and only have a chance of an egg not guaranteed 2 eggs per hour from each female, make it lower tier & run on electricity and it will sort a lot of the problems, player's attitudes would still need to change though so make a low tribe tame cap of 50, should be enough slots for harvesting dinos, a team of boss dinos, transport & some slots for raising babies

To show how op it is at the moment, I spotted a 150 thyla so went back to base and mated all my dinos just for eggs and tamed 3 low level snakes and put them in vivariums, needed 8 eggs on 2x so it probably took me 3 hours max from spotting the thyla to having it in my base, it's a great idea and saves a hell of a lot of space but makes things way too easy

You think spending 3 hours of your time makes it way too easy? I can accomplish much more in just about any other game. One of the biggest problems Ark has for some is how long everything takes in this game. 

6 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

You think spending 3 hours of your time makes it way too easy? I can accomplish much more in just about any other game. One of the biggest problems Ark has for some is how long everything takes in this game. 

The thread is about official PvE and a solution to the tame cap, if you don't like the tame times then go on an unofficial with boosted rates, usually no tame cap to worry about and not as many kibble dinos needed anyway, nothing is forcing anybody to play on official rates, if they were boosted then the tame cap problem would be even worse

Just saw the cryopod teaser on the charity stream.

Pods require a tek replicator to make.

Cryofridges require a tek generator.

So, in short. This is a very bad decision, 80% of the people are not at the tek tier?

Meaning, tame caps will not go away.

I was really looking forward to these items, but not anymore.

Too bad, good idea, very poorly executed... shame.

Should have been accesible for everyone, fridges being run by gasoline.

Pods created in the fabricator, instead of replicator.

Do hope this will be changed. 

Archived