Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ForzaProiettile

Upcoming Tribe Size Limit?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

There seems to be a lot of buzz lately on here and on the internet that in a future patch the tribe size limit will be changed from the current infinite limit to possibly a max of 10. I have noticed that one the developers (@Jen) recently asked for opinions on twitter about what tribe size most people prefer. From reading through the replies given it seems an extreme majority think that 5-10 should be the max tribe size with very few saying that mega tribes should remain. Even people in mega tribes that have replied are admitting they would prefer to play in a smaller tribe but feel forced into mega tribes in order to compete with the other mega tribes ie the vicious cycle.

The link to the poll can be found here:

I think if this happens it really revamp the game and in particular make PVP a lot better for the majority of players. Sure a few players in this 100+ tribes will chuck a fit but they have always been the minority anyways. This would be the single largest change to ARK gameplay since release. 

Edited by ForzaProiettile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corrigan said:

Yea I seen this. I too voted for 5-10. I truly think this would have a positive, long term effect on PvP

Agreed. The first few months were great for PVP in ARK. Everyone was in small tribes and everyone was fighting each other. Good fun, good times. Hopefully it returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the cut will be relatively easy. hardcore megas have several alt accounts, mostly crafters who they'll have to cut down to 1, UNTIL wc admits they screwed up again and open up mindwipe with a different penalty (like exp cut). well over half the mega tribes are occupied by casuals who come when needed, be that for a raid or defense. they are not dependable and since they don't "farm" (advance the tribe), they're also worthless. coupled with alliance restrictions this will definitely break some backbones. offline raiding will be even easier as wc haven't given us anything that can hold a base for over an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, eESTlane said:

the cut will be relatively easy. hardcore megas have several alt accounts, mostly crafters who they'll have to cut down to 1, UNTIL wc admits they screwed up again and open up mindwipe with a different penalty (like exp cut). well over half the mega tribes are occupied by casuals who come when needed, be that for a raid or defense. they are not dependable and since they don't "farm" (advance the tribe), they're also worthless. coupled with alliance restrictions this will definitely break some backbones. offline raiding will be even easier as wc haven't given us anything that can hold a base for over an hour.

The thing is it has been my experience that most players in mega tribes at heart are PVE players (no offense). Most of the reason they all banded together was because they got smashed in PVP and sought out strength through numbers. I've noticed this effect several times on the servers where I have done PVP on. You wipe out a small to medium tribe and come back the next week and they are talking smack in global now as part of the mega tribe.

There are some good PVP players in megas I can vouch for this. I have been in several but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. Most of the players are pure grinders/farmers/breeders/slaves who don't really like PVP and would rather base build then fight.

What will sting the mega tribe players the most is the lack of server domination. Currently things are very cosy for most megas. They always have someone online and with their numbers and resources they can constantly eliminate every other tribe on the server thus keeping it safe. With far reduced numbers and little or no alliances that kind of thing is no longer realistic. 

Edited by ForzaProiettile
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^do some degree i agree with you. true pvpers are a rare sight. of course it depends how you define them but if you can't win over another "pvper" without an advantage (ini mods, uber gear, mutated dinos, offline raiding etc), then you're just a wannabe. most streamers/youtubers just pray on the foot soldiers. majority of their "content" isn't really 1 vs 1 or confirm their skill. using plant y traps and running back to your battery powered heavy turrets hidden in the grass doesn't make you a god, @hod gaming and others. you're just avoiding contact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

There seems to be a lot of buzz lately on here and on the internet that in a future patch the tribe size limit will be changed from the current infinite limit to possibly a max of 10. I have noticed that one the developers (@Jen) recently asked for opinions on twitter about what tribe size most people prefer. From reading through the replies given it seems an extreme majority think that 5-10 should be the max tribe size with very few saying that mega tribes should remain. Even people in mega tribes that have replied are admitting they would prefer to play in a smaller tribe but feel forced into mega tribes in order to compete with the other mega tribes ie the vicious cycle.

The link to the poll can be found here:

I think if this happens it really revamp the game and in particular make PVP a lot better for the majority of players. Sure a few players in this 100+ tribes will chuck a fit but they have always been the minority anyways. This would be the single largest change to ARK gameplay since release. 

Oh, too bad they dont ask such things here and i dont have twitter... But thats actually awesome news. Im sceptical if they think about limiting tribe size on the main official cluster, but even if it is just for a new cluster, it is the right step to take!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eESTlane said:

^^do some degree i agree with you. true pvpers are a rare sight. of course it depends how you define them but if you can't win over another "pvper" without an advantage (ini mods, uber gear, mutated dinos, offline raiding etc), then you're just a wannabe. most streamers/youtubers just pray on the foot soldiers. majority of their "content" isn't really 1 vs 1 or confirm their skill. using plant y traps and running back to your battery powered heavy turrets hidden in the grass doesn't make you a god, @hod gaming and others. you're just avoiding contact. 

A good definition for me is someone that can fight with basic/primitive weapons and armor on foot and consistently beat players that are either on dinos or have higher grade weapons through skill or outsmarting them. Players that know how to raid turreted bases without using dinos also get my attention. 

Most servers will have at least one of these players. Often he is the so called solo 'griefer' that you'll see regularly being complained about in global by a lot of tribes. That is the kind of player I normally try to recruit. Someone that is self reliant, skilled and knows the mechanics of the game. He is accustomed to having to make do with very little in the way of resources and dinos and yet gets results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, inats said:

even this is getting patched it wont change much bec there will be at the end 1 tribe who is main the others just there for farmslaves 

How so? The smaller the tribe the easier it is for others to take them on. And i do play in a small tribe at the moment, and we are from different time zones and it works out well on our official server.

Edited by natman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, inats said:

this game is not made for 10 man tribes since there are different time zones if they would disable transfer option then it could work out

This game is made for small tribes. I highly doubt the developers ever intended for mega tribes to control several servers effectively preventing other players from using them. That is indeed a broken and unintended mechanic that hopefully will be fixed very shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a tribe of about 12, but really only 5-6 of us play regularly.  It would be a bummer to have to just kick the occasionals just because they don't play much.  I think 20 people would be ideal, but 10 is kinda small for how most people play the game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its not made for small tribes :) for example the tek cave it would make it more stress full for small size tribes bec there would be needet ppl who nightshifting this would make their life more broken it is rly stressfull to keep up there is a reason also ppl are alpha or mega it will not make you bether being in smaller tribes 10 beachbobs who are in a tribe makes them not stronger bec they missing 2 years experience and also other game mechanics it will litterly only change that you have more bases on one map and its getting more laggy ppl can still be in a alliance even they are not in alliance they just cant defend them but resource wise they can trade up and doing still their proggress there will be also still being slotcapped servers since you can tell your allies just to join and the other 10 ppl in the main tribe they just gonna make a roll over a 10 man tribe base if its like that it will break the game more it will only change that one tribe have 10 ppl but it wont take off the lead of them or of the servers it will basicly change nothing but bringing ppl in stressfull situation + it takes evrything longer for sure for 10 man tribes ppl gonna loose more time in that game and when they get finally wiped off they will most likely quit ppl getting rly fast demotivated and since they cant join somewhere else bec there are capped tribes they basicly have to quit bec there is not rly a come back maybe they go to unofficial or what ever tribe or they holding the benches also it can be abused you if you have the owner there he can still swap out the players so ppl who are offline they dont need to be in the tribe they gonna get benched out and wait until they came back online and mightby can be invited back other wise there will be no surviveability for the most of all 10man tribes and the timezones+transfer makes it easier to raid other ppl since they cant rly protect themself when they are sleeping

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BertNoobians said:

10 man tribe is going to get steam rolled by 5 tribes that band together for grieving events.

it doesnt make sense at all.

Okay, so lets stick to how it is now and have the 10 man tribe be wiped by a mega tribe claiming the server for themselves. Once the big tribes/alliances are taken apart (or, if they would introduce small tribe limit on a new cluster, dont even come up) everyone will mind their own business with their small tribes and even if they find the time to band together and go for a grieving event, it would be much harder for them in terms of logisitcs than it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, natman said:

Okay, so lets stick to how it is now and have the 10 man tribe be wiped by a mega tribe claiming the server for themselves. Once the big tribes/alliances are taken apart (or, if they would introduce small tribe limit on a new cluster, dont even come up) everyone will mind their own business with their small tribes and even if they find the time to band together and go for a grieving event, it would be much harder for them in terms of logisitcs than it is now.

thats not how mega tribes opperate, they dont take out the little 10 man tribes right now, they coexist in piece, if a mega tribe is smart. only if that 10 man tribe offends or griefs the mega tribe they going to get wiped.
even if a mega tribe attacks the mega tribe on another server, they dont take on the little tribes, they go for the megatribe vs megatribe war.
this is what i so far experienced. there is no need to limit the tribe size so that the little tribes have it better. its nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

off-lining is not a tribe size problem, ffs. get a grip. point fingers at wc for that. and bosses can be balanced for less people, which they should after a considerable mutation nerf. the current cold war setting will remain as people would still be afraid of "losers" ganging up, like what happened to TEA. all i know is that the environment now is not attractive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eESTlane said:

off-lining is not a tribe size problem, ffs. get a grip. point fingers at wc for that. and bosses can be balanced for less people, which they should after a considerable mutation nerf. the current cold war setting will remain as people would still be afraid of "losers" ganging up, like what happened to TEA. all i know is that the environment now is not attractive. 

Exactly. And @BertNoobians i guess our experiences differ there... small tribes are often attacked by the big ones, be it just for fun, because big tribes want the whole server for themselves or that it is collateral damage during a war between the big tribes. As it stands now, small tribes have no perspective whatsoever, they wont reach endgame content, they dont play a role in politics and they are at the mercy of the large tribes. Although the playerbase seems to enjoy small tribe gameplay the most, it is not what the official version of the game supports atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play PVE so I don't know much about PVP but wouldn't people just do something like have 15 small tribes all allied together with community codes on stuff and it kind of makes them one large tribe? The only difference is you can't ride an allies dino or refresh their timers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy to hear them asking for votes and things. Hope this is implemented. But they'd also have to restrict alliances, too.. or it would be moot. If no alliance nerf comes with it, 70 people can still join a server, make 7 different 10 man tribes and still rule.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×