A Survivors Thoughts on the Raptor TLC Pass

TheDonn

18 minutes ago, Otterun said:

Exactly.  Just like finding random snails and elk on the SW beaches on Ragnarok :P They're not they're on purpose, they just wander down from their redwood biome.

They’re rare tho, but their are plenty of places that are raptor free. And I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to you pounce off ur mount.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/19/2018 at 9:58 PM, TheDonn said:

BUT:  It feels like too many creatures are getting homogenized abilities.  Keep 'em unique!  Pack buffs aren't necessary for every pack-roaming dino, the terror birds don't need them, and neither do the raptors. 

This is precisely why I roll my eyes and facepalm any time I see people demand that the devs "Listen to the community!" Don't trip out...I'm not suggesting you're wrong. I'm saying that there are tons of people who have been requesting raptors get a pack buff for YEARS now. 

Personally, I'm glad to see Raptors be more than a lightly upgraded Parasaur. 

I really like the Raptor TLC pass:Jerblove:, but it could be better:

1. longer, larger, plentiful feathers! make this the yuti in the sense it is a puff-ball! (k maybe pushing it)

make the arms wings with talons and fix the tail + bigger head crest. Just base this thing on the microraptor and fix it similarly!!

1. Pin-down mechanic, cool! latch-on mechanic, awesome! Pin-down + Latch-on = BEAST MODE!!! (+ cool down effect)
  2. Why a low tame only?:Jerbmad: make it useful as a mid-tame too while you're at it!
  3. give them night buff! (plus scared of fire (wild))
  4. retractable head crest like the rock-drake, puffs up when enemies near!

I don't like the changes. I have a friend who is in geology and has taken paleontology already. The new rex model is completely fake. Tail too short, spikes above the eyes, head to neck ratio way off, and so on and so on. I hate the new argie look, and I dislike the raptor look. I am OK with adding unique abilities to dinos to maybe breathe life back into the game where some people only used gigas or other high-end dinos, but I dislike the look changes greatly.

I pray they leave gigas and thylacoleos the heck alone.

I really think raptors should be much stronger. Would be nice to have a climbing on target ability that works only for medium to large dinos. For example they can get on top of a Bronto platform and attack riders on it or they can climb a REX back and bite from behind without being hit. Also being known as pack hunters with clever tactics would be interesting to be able to grab / steal or affect durability of saddles but the process to have a chance to be countered and where the number of raptors would determine the success rate of the saddle assault. 

11 hours ago, Xenithar said:

I don't like the changes. I have a friend who is in geology and has taken paleontology already. The new rex model is completely fake. Tail too short, spikes above the eyes, head to neck ratio way off, and so on and so on. I hate the new argie look, and I dislike the raptor look. I am OK with adding unique abilities to dinos to maybe breathe life back into the game where some people only used gigas or other high-end dinos, but I dislike the look changes greatly.

As the devs have stated MULTIPLE TIMES, the dinosaurs in ark are not “real” dinosaurs. Also I personally love the new models. The argent looks 100x more condor like (argentavis is a condor). The Rex and raptor have been highly stylized, which makes ark different from other games. If you want realistic dinosaurs, I’d try out Saurian or The isle

12 hours ago, Xenithar said:

News flash rex isnt even a rex, completely different species..... It is a tyrannosaur but not a rex. Of course the model doesnt look right. Dont know why people aswell as the devs continue to insist calling it a rex to add to the confusion.

And I love the new argent model :D

1 hour ago, TheRealSnek said:

As the devs have stated MULTIPLE TIMES, the dinosaurs in ark are not “real” dinosaurs. Also I personally love the new models. The argent looks 100x more condor like (argentavis is a condor). The Rex and raptor have been highly stylized, which makes ark different from other games. If you want realistic dinosaurs, I’d try out Saurian or The isle

I think at this point it doesnt matter how many times the devs say it, people will still continue to complain about inaccuracies lol.

46 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

News flash rex isnt even a rex, completely different species..... It is a tyrannosaur but not a rex. Of course the model doesnt look right. Dont know why people aswell as the devs continue to insist calling it a rex to add to the confusion.

And I love the new argent model :D

I think at this point it doesnt matter how many times the devs say it, people will still continue to complain about inaccuracies lol.

I never said it was. I know exactly what it is. It is t.Dominus, not t.Rex. This means it is roughly three times larger than a rex. I was using the in-game name so people are not confused. Calling it a dominus would have resulted in hundreds of questions about where to find this new dino from players who do not get it. The older model was in fact more factually accurate while it has inaccuracies.

Also, we've been using these models for over two years and now suddenly, instead of fixing bugs or finishing Ragnarok we get new models which do no make sense and you propose that they are doing this to "stand out"? Sorry, but I don't buy it. I personally believe it's to please the more simple-minded kids out there. Make this dino look scarier so it must be cooler. Along with that, if they wanted to be less accurate then why are they adding feathers to raptors (the species stated in game is supposed to have many more feathers than either model) while making the rex look like an abomination? It seems to me they're out of ideas so they're just doodling around and messing with tames some of us have had for eons.

The simple fix would have been to simply include an option for which model you prefer to see. Your client either renders the classic model or the new one. Would have taken a minute or less to code in and only affected the client. You have yours set to new, you see my rexes and such as new model. I have it set to old and I see the classic version. Simple as that.

Oh and as to the "highly stylized" comment, that's retarded. You're obviously new, speaking to a veteran about something you picked up on and thought in ten minutes. Nobody is complaining about the few inaccuracies before, but now the thing is just fake. I suppose that means my BMW is now denoted "tank" instead of luxury sedan. It's OK because words don't matter! That pickup is now called a potato! Who cares because it is clear that the definition of a word no longer needs to attach to any physical resemblance of the object for which it describes. This is also why I believe the devs are going for pleasing the PS4/XBox players with new designs. Most of these players are kids that struggle to turn on a PC, but if that dino looks cool it'll result in more console players. Word of mouth and all. Or text, whatever.

21 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

I never said it was. I know exactly what it is. It is t.Dominus, not t.Rex. This means it is roughly three times larger than a rex. I was using the in-game name so people are not confused. Calling it a dominus would have resulted in hundreds of questions about where to find this new dino from players who do not get it. The older model was in fact more factually accurate while it has inaccuracies.

Also, we've been using these models for over two years and now suddenly, instead of fixing bugs or finishing Ragnarok we get new models which do no make sense and you propose that they are doing this to "stand out"? Sorry, but I don't buy it. I personally believe it's to please the more simple-minded kids out there. Make this dino look scarier so it must be cooler. Along with that, if they wanted to be less accurate then why are they adding feathers to raptors (the species stated in game is supposed to have many more feathers than either model) while making the rex look like an abomination? It seems to me they're out of ideas so they're just doodling around and messing with tames some of us have had for eons.

The simple fix would have been to simply include an option for which model you prefer to see. Your client either renders the classic model or the new one. Would have taken a minute or less to code in and only affected the client. You have yours set to new, you see my rexes and such as new model. I have it set to old and I see the classic version. Simple as that.

Oh and as to the "highly stylized" comment, that's retarded. You're obviously new, speaking to a veteran about something you picked up on and thought in ten minutes. Nobody is complaining about the few inaccuracies before, but now the thing is just fake. I suppose that means my BMW is now denoted "tank" instead of luxury sedan. It's OK because words don't matter! That pickup is now called a potato! Who cares because it is clear that the definition of a word no longer needs to attach to any physical resemblance of the object for which it describes. This is also why I believe the devs are going for pleasing the PS4/XBox players with new designs. Most of these players are kids that struggle to turn on a PC, but if that dino looks cool it'll result in more console players. Word of mouth and all. Or text, whatever.

or the devs just want to update the dino models and do something new to the game... no need to be so offended. personally i think the new models look pretty good. it isn’t an “all of the sudden” change either, devs have been talking about the TLC for quite some time so this shouldn’t come as a surprise to you, since you’re a veteran and all. :) 

I think they should push it even further and make it useful for actual pvp and hunting down players.
Imagine your typical pvp chase. Someone stole your loot, and is now booking it in the forest to escape. The raptor, as a pack, could sense sprinting targets (Like the direwolf senses injured targets with an icon) to track the player down. He would have to stop moving and hide to be unseen. Then, if he gets caught, it would have to be more punishing than just being bitten (as soon as you have flak, that damage would be pitiful). Maybe that's what theyre suggesting by the "pin" part of the pounce attack, but the player should have his options limited to at maximum one-handed melee attacks or a small sidearm to defend himself when pinned down, to prevent him lazily pulling out his shotgun or some long rifle (which realistically would be hard to do when you have a dinosaur holding you to the ground) and destroying the raptor no matter its level.
I feel like this would make the raptor a useful mount in competitive pvp.
Love the Sprint hunt idea! Cool and makes you scared to run...... Very raptor like! Your idea is great!

2 hours ago, Xenithar said:

I never said it was. I know exactly what it is. It is t.Dominus, not t.Rex. This means it is roughly three times larger than a rex. I was using the in-game name so people are not confused. 

How does it mean that  ? T. Rex was a real life species and to my knowledge the rex is currently the only known species within the genus Tyrannosaurus. T. dominum (the 'rex' in Ark) is a completely made up species placed within the genus Tyrannosaurus, it never existed so the devs can make it however they like. This goes for all species in ark, all are made up species placed in the same genus as their real life counterparts (apart from the kentro I beleive, which shares the same latin name as its realife counterpart). And as a result any complaint about inaccuracies is completly and utterly void. And as for the old rex model being more accurate, again it is a void statement. As the animal ingame never existed it can not be accurate or inaccurate, it never existed and so it is entirely up to the devs how it looks. We can only voice our opinion on how it should look like, not that it is inaccurate. 

Oh and as to the "highly stylized" comment, that's retarded. You're obviously new, speaking to a veteran about something you picked up on and thought in ten minutes. 

Certainly not new here,  started playing the game at about christmas 2015 and created an account here March 2016. Been playing ever since. I took great interest in the taxonomy of all the ark species right away and spent alot of time reading over all the dossiers.

And when it comes to talking about taxonomy I know exactly what I am talking about as I have a Masters degree in Ecology.

Edit: Did I mention that this is a computer game, why does it matter is something is accurate or not ?

5 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

How does it mean that  ? T. Rex was a real life species and to my knowledge the rex is currently the only known species within the genus Tyrannosaurus. T. dominum (the 'rex' in Ark) is a completely made up species placed within the genus Tyrannosaurus, it never existed so the devs can make it however they like. This goes for all species in ark, all are made up species placed in the same genus as their real life counterparts (apart from the kentro I beleive, which shares the same latin name as its realife counterpart). And as a result any complaint about inaccuracies is completly and utterly void. And as for the old rex model being more accurate, again it is a void statement. As the animal ingame never existed it can not be accurate or inaccurate, it never existed and so it is entirely up to the devs how it looks. We can only voice our opinion on how it should look like, not that it is inaccurate. 

Certainly not new here,  started playing the game at about christmas 2015 and created an account here March 2016. Been playing ever since. I took great interest in the taxonomy of all the ark species right away and spent alot of time reading over all the dossiers.

And when it comes to talking about taxonomy I know exactly what I am talking about as I have a Masters degree in Ecology.

He's trolling you. If he actually thinks the rex version of the game is real then GG save your breath as you will find a better debate with a rock. @Xenithar Ha Ha real funny you got us we thought you were serious now take this opportunity to play along and we can all forget about the time you confused real life with a video game.

16 hours ago, Xenithar said:

The new rex model in this game is completely fake - FIXED

You already said it so I know you know the truth deep down. Just let it go.

You do realise theyre updating the models so that they look better, since those are the earliest dinos added to the game.

Look at dinos like the spino. Currently the textures are awful. They've learned, and the newer creatures look WAY better, have better made animations, less blocky textures and the tlc is making them more in line like the quality thats being put out in the more recent dinos.

It has nothing to do with historical accuracy. And people have been complaining about the rexs gigantic head for ages now, before that thing could realistically topple over from it's weight. They change it and theres ALWAYS someone thats grumpy. I think the new rex looks great.

And here's a thought about the rex. This is me DIRECTLY quoting the explorer note about it: Despite being a different sub-species of Tyrannosaurus, everyone I've met still refers to them as a "Rex" or a "T-Rex". I've long since stopped trying to convince anyone, especially the few who I've encountered wearing Tyrannosaurus teeth as necklaces.

This is why it's called rex in-game. Not because the devs were trying to make it a rex but lore-wise to any uneducated person any large theropod is a t-rex.

30 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

And here's a thought about the rex. This is me DIRECTLY quoting the explorer note about it: Despite being a different sub-species of Tyrannosaurus, everyone I've met still refers to them as a "Rex" or a "T-Rex". I've long since stopped trying to convince anyone, especially the few who I've encountered wearing Tyrannosaurus teeth as necklaces.

This is why it's called rex in-game. Not because the devs were trying to make it a rex but lore-wise to any uneducated person any large theropod is a t-rex.

Funny thing is, is that is the flaw in the dossier, it contradicts itself. If it is indeed a subspecies of a rex, then its indeed a rex, just a different subspecies, but its listed as T dominum so its a completly different species not a subspecies. It should read 'despite being a different species'. 

For completeness if its a sub species of a rex the scientific name should be Tyrannosaurus rex dominum, with the real life rex being Tyrannosaurus rex rex. 

29 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Funny thing is, is that is the flaw in the dossier, it contradicts itself. If it is indeed a subspecies of a rex, then its indeed a rex, just a different subspecies, but its listed as T dominum so its a completly different species not a subspecies. It should read 'despite being a different species'. 

For completeness if its a sub species of a rex the scientific name should be Tyrannosaurus rex dominum, with the real life rex being Tyrannosaurus rex rex. 

it is NOT a subspecies of a rex. Its the subspecies of a TYRANNOSAURUS, as mentioned above, lol

Meaning, you would have Tyrannosaurus-->rex OR dominum.

3 hours ago, Xenithar said:

.1) it’s not a real tyrannosaurian species, so it doesn’t matter. Someone mentioned the reason in the dossier so just look at their  explanation

2) that comment about the devs needing to finish ragnarok instead of working on remodeling dinosaurs is rediculous. They have different teams working on different things. Please do ur research before spewing out incorrect information.

3) I didn’t know dinosaurs had to be 100% accurate. Also, the raptor has had feathers on it since day one, and aren’t getting new areas that have feathers. You would know the raptor had feathers if you played the game. The Rex isn’t supposed to be accurate, and is just supposed to be terrorizing and to be on the same tier as wyverns and basilisks

4) I’m also working on a mod that gives the option of applying a skin of the old dinosaurs onto your current Dino’s. Keep ur eyes open for that

5) insulting your opponents by calling them kids is not a good debating skill. People don’t take u seriously if u do that ;)

6) I’ve made this account recently, but I’m a PC player who has aprox 2,000 hours on Ark. I’ve started playing this game year one during the Christmas update.

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

it is NOT a subspecies of a rex. Its the subspecies of a TYRANNOSAURUS, as mentioned above, lol

Meaning, you would have Tyrannosaurus-->rex OR dominum.

Ah good point and your are correct, thanks for pointing my error out. Still I think it should say species rather than a subspecies but that might just me being pernickety.

On 2/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, EssentialFrenzy said:

Personally, I think that if one creature gets a pack buff then all pack creatures should receive a pack buff.  If only one pack got a buff then all the other pack creatures wouldn't stand a chance.  This at least helps a bit to allow raptors to burst down a target.  And I would say these abilities are fairly unique.  The pack buff isn't the exact same as others and the pin is a great new addition.  Also I would say that if anything this pack buff definitely extends the time that raptors are relevant to players.  This doesn't really make them any harder to tame.  Bola + sling shot/club = easily knocked out raptor.  If people go about it properly then this will only prolong the use of raptors rather than only making them harder tames.  These changes will likely promote the use of raptors in more stages of the game now.  Some people enjoy using high level raptor packs later in the game, which will be slightly more impactful now.  I can also see the pin and speed buff being somewhat useful in certain pvp situations.  My hope is that they won't be outclassed as easily anymore and maybe instead of people trading their raptors in for carnos they will trade them in for better raptors.  Also I'm sure the carno will be receiving a tlc pass at sometime (at least I hope) which will likely move it up from its current position in the game.  The same goes for trikes as well.  If this all happens then the raptor will be needing these changes, especially when the trike receives the ability to impale smaller creatures like raptors.  

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Direwolf

Howl that increases dmg.  They are calling the raptor thing a "vocalization", so basically 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.  And I honestly wonder who will use raptors MORE after this...  The people who occasionally tool around on them will be happy, sure.  But most people will probably get on a raptor and run out, pounce a few things, say "neat," and stash it back in base.  And if we wonder if it will extend the usefulness of raptors, we will just have to wait and see what TLC the other carnivores are getting.  I personally don't believe the relevance of raptors will be shifted anywhere but on the bottom-end (further away from low level players).

19 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Ah good point and your are correct, thanks for pointing my error out. Still I think it should say species rather than a subspecies but that might just me being pernickety.

Heh yea you're probably right on that one. :) I forget the classification order for species naming.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, TheRealSnek said:

I really like the pack buff, as it makes the raptor more viable later game, and it doesn’t get out classed by other creatures. When this update launches, I’m definitely gonna tame some raptors.

and for those who think it’s gonna be a problem for early game players, it’s actually gonna be a buff. Raptors can be found easily on the beaches or in the forests alone. Bola it and tranq it and you got yourself a strong, fast mount 

It does get outclassed.  Even by argies!  Raptors are too squishy, unless the TLC pass is buffing their HP.  Unsaddled raptors will still get destroyed by mid+ game tames.

18 hours ago, Xenithar said:

I don't like the changes. I have a friend who is in geology and has taken paleontology already. The new rex model is completely fake. Tail too short, spikes above the eyes, head to neck ratio way off, and so on and so on. I hate the new argie look, and I dislike the raptor look.

What I find the funniest about you is that you claim to be a veteran Ark player, yet seem to be entirely oblivious to the lore of the game...which has on multiple occasions demonstrated that the creatures on Ark are highly genetically modified so their looks and behavior have little relationship with their "real" counterparts/ancestors from Earth. This is stuff I've picked up over 5500 hours plus into the game...am I "veteran" enough that you won't dismiss me as a noob, or did you already plan to dismiss anyone who recognizes that Ark is not a simulator??

...and now you're requesting that the devs implement a feature into the game that allows you to switch back and forth between skins so you can set your game to the skin that seems the most realistic to you? Yeah...good luck with that. The only chance you have of realizing that absurd suggestion is if you wrote a realism mod that includes skin swaps...but considering you don't even seem to be aware of the lore in the game you're a self-described veteran of, I don't have a lot of faith in your ability to learn that game's devkit.

"...but my immersion!!!!!" 

14 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

It does get outclassed.  Even by argies!  Raptors are too squishy, unless the TLC pass is buffing their HP.  Unsaddled raptors will still get destroyed by mid+ game tames.

They are making them less squishy. In packs. Like the wolf, hyena, or ravagers, they aren't exactly something you'll want to take alone to a fight with a mid-game tame.

23 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

This is precisely why I roll my eyes and facepalm any time I see people demand that the devs "Listen to the community!" Don't trip out...I'm not suggesting you're wrong. I'm saying that there are tons of people who have been requesting raptors get a pack buff for YEARS now. 

Personally, I'm glad to see Raptors be more than a lightly upgraded Parasaur

And I am not saying to take the pack buff away, or the pounce.  They are cool ideas.  Just make it movespeed only!  Also about the bolded, Parasaurs have the same HP and less base melee than a Raptor, but move much much slower than Raptors, and also carry much more.  So HP is really where their similarities end, with Raptor attack speed and mobility what it is.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:00 PM, ArkRage said:

Out of everything in this game, the first thing I'd expect to have a pack buff would be raptors haha.

I would expect the wolves to be the first thing to have a pack buff due to the pervasiveness of the idea of a "wolf pack."  It's still a good idea.  I just wish it was a little different.

5 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

What I find the funniest about you is that you claim to be a veteran Ark player, yet seem to be entirely oblivious to the lore of the game...which has on multiple occasions demonstrated that the creatures on Ark are highly genetically modified so their looks and behavior have little relationship with their "real" counterparts/ancestors from Earth. This is stuff I've picked up over 5500 hours plus into the game...am I "veteran" enough that you won't dismiss me as a noob, or did you already plan to dismiss anyone who recognizes that Ark is not a simulator??

...and now you're requesting that the devs implement a feature into the game that allows you to switch back and forth between skins so you can set your game to the skin that seems the most realistic to you? Yeah...good luck with that. The only chance you have of realizing that absurd suggestion is if you wrote a realism mod that includes skin swaps...but considering you don't even seem to be aware of the lore in the game you're a self-described veteran of, I don't have a lot of faith in your ability to learn that game's devkit.

"...but my immersion!!!!!" 

I must agree.  It is a fantasy-dino game, these weren't real.  They are creative-license-altered takes on real dinos.

7 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

They are making them less squishy. In packs. Like the wolf, hyena, or ravagers, they aren't exactly something you'll want to take alone to a fight with a mid-game tame.

But with anything, they will be outgunned.  Pretty easily, even decent-level herbis like stegos, trikes, ankys, doeds, or megatherium will be able to trash them even with a dmg/resist vocalization.  The knockback the bulky herbis have...  Yeah.  So -IF- it remains true, where then lies the Raptor's use?  Shifted a few levels up from where it is currently, with no expansion of the upper limit of usefulness.  You'll always have people who have cavin' lines of Raptors that are totally BA, mutated colors and really sick stats...  We ain't gonna change those sickos.

I could be wrong...  but ya know what Lou??  It's not as if this will make a difference in what is added, or get a response.  It's just my thoughts on it!  :)

Archived