Dire bears lost their role?

SmokeyB

So since that big ant eater thing came out I find that Dire bears don't get much use anymore.

The anteater is better for a berry and fibre run,  it even gets mad thatch and chitin too while your out without even trying. That was the bears main use 

The anteater has better weight than the bear so is a better transport Dino too,  it's even small enough to use in your Base and fits through a small Dino gate.

Easier tame than the bear,  they have slower torpor more health and are way more common to find.

Better cave runner than the bear,  they are similar size so the anteater fits most caves the bear does and with the bug buff and extra health it is far more deadly in a cave.

Plus the anteater has other uses like killing death worms and fighting brood mother and collecting chitin. Plus it's a beast on scorched as most things are bugs,  it collects mad organic poly.

The anteater is not op,  it sort of fits it's role well,  it's just I love bears and no one wants to bother with them anymore,  better to breed anteaters now. Buff the bear,  give it a unique role again and make it a vital tame like it was before. Maybe give it a special ability or something.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Bear gives insulation, and can sprint for miles very quickly using very little stamina, also has a much better turning circle than sloths.

DItto that, and MOST importantly Dire Bears are much more of a damage dealer against NON-bugs, which is pretty much everything outside of caves and SE.

Heck, they even out damage T-Rexes. 

On Legacy I have a pair of bears that kill Gigas easily, can a pair of sloths do that? Doubt it.

2 hours ago, Palenor said:

DItto that, and MOST importantly Dire Bears are much more of a damage dealer against NON-bugs, which is pretty much everything outside of caves and SE.

On Legacy I have a pair of bears that kill Gigas easily, can a pair of sloths do that? Doubt it.

Mate boosted imprinted sloths with asc saddles and a bug boost will kill anything a bear can just the same.

47 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

The sloth is pretty weak when it doesn't have a bug boost.

Sloth without bug boost is about as strong as bear per hit, just a little bit slower attacks, but sloth's rightclick attack has better AoE.

As a combat mount Sloth is better - it is counted as Large animal and pretty much ignored by everything smaller than rexes.

Bear's only redeeming factor is speed if only sprint didnt reset on each and every bump. Also i wish for bears' sprint to be affected by improvements to speed stat (currently it is not). Oh and baby bears are the cutest things ever.

Ever been attacked from behind while riding a Dire Bear? Well... good luck if you're in the forest or a tight place. I abandoned bears after several Terrorbirds and Direwolves stuck in my bear's butt and I wasn't able to hit them or turn around until I went off the bear and let the AI do the job. Megatherium by fare has a better AoE, especially with right-click. The only thing the Direbear is better is faster attacks, as far as I remember.

15 hours ago, Palenor said:

lol a pair of bears that can kill gigas easily

6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Sloth without bug boost is about as strong as bear per hit, just a little bit slower attacks, but sloth's rightclick attack has better AoE.

From the Wiki under "Damage"

Base Damage for each:

Megatherium.png Megatherium 32

Since the WIKI does not show the Left Trigger Attack - which is called  SLAM and is Base Damage of 49

That second number is the Dire Bear Left Trigger attack/Swipe in place. 

Direbear.png Direbear 50 65

See that difference? Not even close. And when you figure in the time for attack swing, DIRE bear is over Double the Sloth.

Now check this next one out

Rex.png Rex 62

Now, who does more damage?

For more information concerning damage, see the following:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/228285-the-definitive-dino-dps-guide/&do=findComment&comment=1327638

12 minutes ago, Palenor said:

From the Wiki under "Damage"

Base Damage for each:

Megatherium.png Megatherium 32

Since the WIKI does not show the Left Trigger Attack - which is called  SLAM and is Base Damage of 49

That second number is the Dire Bear Left Trigger attack/Swipe in place. 

Direbear.png Direbear 50 65

See that difference? Not even close. And when you figure in the time for attack swing, DIRE bear is over Double the Sloth.

Now check this next one out

Rex.png Rex 62

Now, who does more damage?

the theri, who is a better fiber and bery collector then both sloth and bear
it gathers better meat then both rex and giga
has better damage then rex, bear and sloth
has more health then sloth and bear

can gather wood, fiber, meat, berries, organic polymer and all the hides
theri also best mutton gatherer 

need more?

10 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

has better damage then rex, bear and sloth

Not exactly true. See the following.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/228285-the-definitive-dino-dps-guide/&do=findComment&comment=1327638

Lots of people mistake Base Damage numbers mean better DPS, not always true. It all depends on time for each hit Or (RPS) Repetitions per Second for the attack.

NAME RPS DPH DPS

Direbear- Secondary Attack 1.2 65.0 78.0 

Rex - Primary 1.2 62.0 74.4

Therizinosaurus - Both Primary/Sec 1.2 52.0 62.4

Megatherium - Secondary Attack 0.8 49.0 39.2

Megatherium - Primary Attack 1.2 32.0 38.4

Dire bear is the CLEAR winner of DPS

Just now, Palenor said:

Not exactly true. See the following.

Lots of people mistake Base Damage numbers mean better DPS, not always true. It all depends on time for each hit Or (RPS) Repetitions per Second for the attack.

NAME RPS DPH DPS

Direbear- Secondary Attack 1.2 65.0 78.0 

Rex - Primary 1.2 62.0 74.4

Therizinosaurus - Both Primary/Sec 1.2 52.0 62.4

Megatherium - Secondary Attack 0.8 49.0 39.2

Megatherium - Primary Attack 1.2 32.0 38.4

Dire bear is the CLEAR winner of DPS

you forget one tiny IMPORTANT factor

using the "swipe" makes the direbear immobile

being immobile is a major disadvantage

Just now, raptorjesus666 said:

not to forget, a megalosaurus during night time outdps a direbear by a mile

True, but only for like 20 game minutes per day.

All of these other special bonuses for Megalosaurus and Megatherium are situational at best.

As far a the swipe attack, it can be a slight issue, until you get used to it, then it is no problem at all, just takes a little practice. Point is Direbear is King of DPS for ridable land dinos, that are usable everyday/all day.

Archived