The Great Migration

Moozoo

On 21/08/2017 at 7:58 AM, wallaby said:

alot of us on pve have been hoping for a more decent obilisk storage time or a permanent upload storage system would  be better! dont mind losing all my base and stuff but being able to store my tames for more than a week would be so good! 

+1

Who cares if I go on holiday and my base gets wiped if I can log back in 2 weeks later and rebuild it again? It'd be myself putting the effort into building and finding a new spot if the old one is taken.
I'd be incredibly happy with dino storage for 2+ weeks!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, Moozoo said:

" This coming Tuesday (August 22nd) we will be posting the list of servers that will be taken down on our launch day and re-purposed for the new servers, while all other existing servers become Legacy servers. For those who decide not to migrate, the saves for these servers will be uploaded and provided, which you can then download and use to host your own unofficial servers with all of your stuff intact. "

where is this list then?

@Jat @Jen @GP ???

On 8/21/2017 at 6:45 AM, X111 said:

is this fair to an extent?

most of the SE servers on PVE are used but not as a base of operations, mainly for obtaining tames and eggs, the animals are then moved to island or centre.

how is this going to be monitored? I feel, personally, that I am having something taken away from me after I have purchased the content all because I am a "legacy player". most of our island server use SE as a resource map hence not many people on it at any given time, only for desert drops and resources. this will also mean we wont be able to do the boss fight as well as any caves.

and has there been a confirmed announcement for how many Rag servers on legacy?

I would assume when they do the bottom 10% that it will be the bottom 10% from each game type and then the bottom 10% for each map.  If not there will only be a handful of scorch servers because a tribe can't really have their main base on scorch.  Not with the limitation on building plant X where there is decent wind and with electric generator taking damage while they run.  

6 hours ago, Beatties said:

Kinda feel Wildcard have missed a trick here.  They have a chance to get rid of the current crop of duped dinos and materials etc, but they decided not to.

I for one will be moving to Ragnarok Official, so I decided to sell, destroy all my items.  Played on three maps (TI, CE, SE).

Looking forward to a new start on a fantastic looking map.

May I ask you sold them for what ? 

Selling for real hard CASH is illegal. Selling for something in game...given you will not be able to move that thing with you...is pointless.

Some people need to be careful what they say on forums.

7 hours ago, X111 said:

I was talking about repurposed, low pop servers, read it again please, our server has 30+ average, I'm talking about access to SE, if they're wiping low pop servers, well there's probably a hand full of SE servers that fit the required criteria for no wipe. So being a legacy player our options, and indeed paid DLC for SE will be stripped? I don't want to start from scratch for something I've already got. As I said, SE servers are used for resources and specific tames include materials for Phoenix taming.

So effectively, even though the majority of the time we are on island, we do go to SE twice a week for resources, but where are we to get those resources if SE maps are repurposed?

think about it now, how am I supposed to get resources from a paid server to an official server? You know what they say about assuming right?

I am not sure you understand what I am saying... My scorched earth server is hoping... over 40 players every time I logged in this weekend. Many of us that is our main server. You expect wild card to spend the money to keep your low population server going even though no one really plays on it? By lowering the number of SE servers they will have more available for Ragnarok while, at the same time, encouraging higher populations on the ones where people actually play. Sucks if you are on a server no one uses... I get that... but it is not unfair to expect them to continue to pay for a server no one really uses.

3 hours ago, DinoMinions said:

We have all been paying our own way on scorched, we BOUGHT IT. And the only reason so many scorched servers are ghost towns is because they have yet to fix the problem with the electrical storms. You get a storm and your turrets go down and you have no way to defend what you paid to play. In other words SE is a troll heaven. 

If this is a concern for anyone, now is the time to be off the forums and transferring your stuff to your other server if you have one and dismantling your base. If you dont then you need to start looking for one. Its been coming for a while and you still have time to farm for the pieces you will need for a new base on a new map. Try asking around to see what decent servers are willing to take some refugees. 

You paid for the game, yes, but you are not paying for the server. It seems to me people do not really understand the difference. You get to keep the game that you paid for. If you are wiped Wild Card is giving you the option to pay for your server as well. The never promised to pay $200,000 per month forever to keep servers going that no one really plays on.

10 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

I am not sure you understand what I am saying... My scorched earth server is hoping... over 40 players every time I logged in this weekend. Many of us that is our main server. You expect wild card to spend the money to keep your low population server going even though no one really plays on it? By lowering the number of SE servers they will have more available for Ragnarok while, at the same time, encouraging higher populations on the ones where people actually play. Sucks if you are on a server no one uses... I get that... but it is not unfair to expect them to continue to pay for a server no one really uses.

and I'm not entirely sure you understand what I am saying.

imagine all those 706 SE servers, both PVE and PVP servers, now say that only 100 are over 10% requirements and the rest have 3-5 players.  that's on average about 1818 to 2300 players who play on under populated servers, now if those, lets say 1999 players who decide they still want to play on SE but have too move all dinos, they will fill 28-29 servers with 0 players, that's if they can find a server that has no abandoned buildings or parking lots. would you want your server filled to the point that if you threw a spear you would hit your neighbours gates? and will you want your server dino cap destroyed by migration on such a vast scale?

also, what about the migration? say 1 tribe has 200 creatures and another has 100, they both join a server where creature cap is just about reached, yet they do not know it as we have no way of telling, they then starting downloading dinos but one only manages 60 and the other 98? what then?

too late to try another server as the lists are published and theres no other server as they've all been flooded with refugees. what then?

So, by your math that is an average of 20 new players per server that is left... not so bad. Many will choose not to migrate, but will either leave their stuff to be wiped or choose to rent their own server and download the data. They could also transfer dinos to their island server. There is also the tiny detail of many of the remaining servers being under populated in the short term because the players are moving to Ragnarok or getting a fresh start in the new cluster.

Even with your dooms day numbers, the math still makes sense and the numbers are workable. If they have to do this so they can continue to afford to offer the legacy cluster then that is the reality we have to deal with. The alternative was a complete wipe of all official servers. I much prefer your scenario to that.

5 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

So, by your math that is an average of 20 new players per server that is left... not so bad. Many will choose not to migrate, but will either leave their stuff to be wiped or choose to rent their own server and download the data. They could also transfer dinos to their island server. There is also the tiny detail of many of the remaining servers being under populated in the short term because the players are moving to Ragnarok or getting a fresh start in the new cluster.

Even with your dooms day numbers, the math still makes sense and the numbers are workable. If they have to do this so they can continue to afford to offer the legacy cluster then that is the reality we have to deal with. The alternative was a complete wipe of all official servers. I much prefer your scenario to that.

so in the 3 months to follow when a further server test is carried out and find that the servers not assigned to wipe are then under populated, they will then rotate and release another list of servers to be repurposed, we then have the same issue. forcing those players who were moved originally to move again, now I don't know how stable your server is but when we reach 30 players on our server we start getting pings of 90+, rubber banding, dash boarding etc etc.

and you still think that a player can move to a server but having to leave 80% of their stock due to server limits and loosing all their work, which WC don't want to happen, that they should just rent their own server being cut off from the rest of gamer community through no fault of their own?

the so called Alpha French tribes on our island server are already taking to reach server cap with tames and pillaring the land so not even other server users can build and tame to claim the server as theirs in PVE.

my scenario may look good on paper but its starting to look like WC's method to speed the process up on forcing players out. even after they have said there will be enough new servers. I usually support WC on most decisions but they're now taking advantage.

and what about when it comes to doing caves? or bosses? are going to be penalised for not leaving a server?

I would of thought a better solution would be to make clusters of the 4 new maps on legacy, wait a month with open gate access to the 4 maps so people can migrate, then close those transfers to only those 4 maps.

I guess nobody thought about the consequences of the "No Wipe" scenario.

Well here it is folks! Refugees joining the remaining laggy and unstable servers with all their dinos.

Pack in nice and tight everyone! Say goodbye to taming and raising babies!

Dino cap was an issue prior to the platform changes, now it will be even worse.

13 minutes ago, X111 said:

so in the 3 months to follow when a further server test is carried out and find that the servers not assigned to wipe are then under populated, they will then rotate and release another list of servers to be repurposed, we then have the same issue. forcing those players who were moved originally to move again, now I don't know how stable your server is but when we reach 30 players on our server we start getting pings of 90+, rubber banding, dash boarding etc etc.

and you still think that a player can move to a server but having to leave 80% of their stock due to server limits and loosing all their work, which WC don't want to happen, that they should just rent their own server being cut off from the rest of gamer community through no fault of their own?

the so called Alpha French tribes on our island server are already taking to reach server cap with tames and pillaring the land so not even other server users can build and tame to claim the server as theirs in PVE.

my scenario may look good on paper but its starting to look like WC's method to speed the process up on forcing players out. even after they have said there will be enough new servers. I usually support WC on most decisions but they're now taking advantage.

and what about when it comes to doing caves? or bosses? are going to be penalised for not leaving a server?

I would of thought a better solution would be to make clusters of the 4 new maps on legacy, wait a month with open gate access to the 4 maps so people can migrate, then close those transfers to only those 4 maps.

I do agree that a week is not really enough notice. I was hoping for a month as well. We have an average of about 20 to 30, this weekend I saw up to 50 people on at a time. Really no lag issues to speak of. This latest update really fixed a lot of those issues for me. If you have 30 players on at a time I doubt they would consider that a server with near 0 population, though.

As far as forcing people out, they could have done that with a full server wipe. They chose to let you keep your stuff and paid an extra $100,000 per month to keep these legacy servers going. I really doubt they would be spending that kind of money if they were planning on giving the finger to the legacy players in the future.

4 minutes ago, Demerus said:

I guess nobody thought about the consequences of the "No Wipe" scenario.

Well here it is folks! Refugees joining the remaining laggy and unstable servers with all their dinos.

Pack in nice and tight everyone! Say goodbye to taming and raising babies!

Dino cap was an issue prior to the platform changes, now it will be even worse.

There is always the option on going with the server wipe scenario and starting over on the new cluster.

On 21/08/2017 at 3:56 PM, Demerus said:

The migration will be a disaster,

All or most of the remaining servers will hit dino cap and most people migrating with all their stuff will probably only be able to effectively transfer just a portion of their dinos.

That is if you don't lose your character transferring multiple times in the process.

This will probably happen, we dont even know where to go since the dino cap limit on servers dont exist, its a lottery.

I can see already a chaos on obelisks on remaining servers and pillars, again, everywhere. GG.

And not to mention all the tek people have placed on there servers are they going to replace it and who knows if people have been pillaring off everything so you can't build I do not like this at all they should just purchase new servers and leave us alone or how about all the servers that are always at dino cap wipe them

Beginning to wonder how late they're gonna leave this list.. I normally never complain about WCs awful timekeeping but as we only have a week to begin with if they're as late as usual we're gonna end up in a huge last minute scramble to move our stuff. 

Guys, cmon now this isn't the sort of thing you can approach with your usual attitude towards deadlines..

Archived