platform saddles joke?

Avaraxius

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, raaazboy said:

its not stupid to get annoyed when people who shouldnt even be playing the game complain the game is too hard 

And you decide who gets to play the game? Who are you again?

4 minutes ago, raaazboy said:

the game is made for pvp. im not opposed to people playing pve but complaining that pvp mechanics are making it to hard for you to play is stupid

I dont see any complaints about the game mechanics being too difficult. You originally replied to me and I dont see how anything I've mentioned could make you come to the conclusion that I find the PVP mechanics being too difficult. Read.

2 minutes ago, Isho said:

And you decide who gets to play the game? Who are you again?

I dont see any complaints about the game mechanics being too difficult. You originally replied to me and I dont see how anything I've mentioned could make you come to the conclusion that I find the PVP mechanics being too difficult. Read.

sorry i've realised my mistake and started a post to civilly discuss this topic 

14 hours ago, Toni said:

You wanna servers with good performance? Or you wanna laggy/rubberbanding/crashing servers like its now?

Some times it needs to restrict some things which are eating much performance. For ark the platforms/tamed dinos and rafts are eating the most performance. So it makes sense to limit this things.

No.

(*- All remarks herein in reference to Official Servers, particularly PvE -*)

The tribe tame limit didn't help performance, the best performance improvements we have seen are stability and efficiency improvements.  The flyer/ptera nerf and land-speed nerfs were likely a shot at SLOWING the game down to "improve" performance too.  It hasn't changed though, we just have slower flyers and slower land dinos, and tame limits, and every millisecond of lag, stuttering, rubberbanding, crashes, and 5-15 second lagspikes...

And speaking of that max 255 on the lag-meter...  What in blazes is up with that?  255 ms is slightly more than 1/4 of a second.  Uncap the reporting meter, WC, and let's see how the servers really perform.

If anyone, including the dudes at Studio WC and you Toni, actually believe this will help performance, I have some beautiful lakefront property on the border of the light/dark faces of the moon I'll sell you.

Platform saddles put a lot of extra strain on the server, meaning the maximum amount is capped. Making it rude to have armies of unused platform saddles while the rest of the server can't get any. So the limit is for the same reason as the tame limit. When server-wide caps can't be raised, the only thing left to do is try to make it so what is there is enough for everyone.

4 hours ago, Equinox713 said:

all I can suggest is make a new tribe with an alt. it sucks but you can transfer tames between the two tribes. be aware that the tame limit was there for a reason and you should expect a lot of lag

This is being part of the problem.

5 hours ago, Jamagh said:

Looks like I will have to change the quetzals saddles. Only use the one with the platform anyways. The other two sit in base and eat.

This is being part of the solution.

What bothers me is that, whether intentional or not, this change seems to also count (or possibly only count) toward the overall server cap. According to people on my main server, they were able to tame before the patch, but now I'm trying to tame a wolf, and no matter how many of my own dinos I kill, it doesn't change from "Too many tamed creatures on this ark"

And fyi, I'm nowhere near the tribe cap.

4 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

It doesn't matter if it's PvP or PvE, a platformed dinosaur with structures on it is taking objects meant to be static and making them dynamic. Each and every step your dino takes the server has to calculate each and every movement of each and every little hit box and every little flag of every single structure on the platform. The more calculations the server has to make the more the server chugs. Whilst not due to movement, this calculation chugging can easily be seen when you make use of the destroywilddinos command where the server can lag or outright stall as it does calculations to repopulate your server with dinosaurs.

Not sure why you quoted me there, I never mentioned the effect on performance platforms had in the past.  Was merely stating that this move is good somewhat in the fact it stops tribes from hording all of the platforms upto the cap in PvE and stopping other tribes having them, and it will make PvP tribes have to think about their uses as an army of platforms will seriously hit their dino cap if they place structures on to defend the riders.

I don't think they'll keep the hit at 19 for each platform built on tho, thats excessive at the least, but the idea is sound.  I only piped up because people blamed it on the PvP mode when reality is it was a good move for both.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Not sure why you quoted me there, I never mentioned the effect on performance platforms had in the past.  Was merely stating that this move is good somewhat in the fact it stops tribes from hording all of the platforms upto the cap in PvE and stopping other tribes having them, and it will make PvP tribes have to think about their uses as an army of platforms will seriously hit their dino cap if they place structures on to defend the riders.

I don't think they'll keep the hit at 19 for each platform built on tho, thats excessive at the least, but the idea is sound.  I only piped up because people blamed it on the PvP mode when reality is it was a good move for both.

I quoted you to dispel the notion that the changes made were done for the sake of pvp over pve or vice versa, but that it instead was done to help stabilize performance in either mode. That it "makes sense" in one game mode over the other has no bearing to the reasons for what was implemented, and if anything just comes as a side effect.

27 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I quoted you to dispel the notion that the changes made were done for the sake of pvp over pve or vice versa, but that it instead was done to help stabilize performance in either mode. That it "makes sense" in one game mode over the other has no bearing to the reasons for what was implemented, and if anything just comes as a side effect.

Will it really effect performance to that degree tho? Its abit of a mixed bag in that respect, before the change (im not sure what the platform cap was) a tribe could have a number of platforms with structures on without any hits to the cap bar the dino itself, and yeah it would cause performance issues but now they can have max 40 dinos (per tribe) with platforms without structures... wont the potential increase in just platforms alone hinder performance?

10 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Ya...is there any proof this works on PVE ? Currently, it doesn't seem like it (which honestly, I hope it stays unchanged).

I play on official pve island with several platform saddles for quetzals and brontos. I dont have much built on these platform saddles right now. One quetzal with a few ceiling, foundations, 2 smithys and wooden ramps for dinos. Another bronto has giant stone trap doors for when I moved a lot of dinos across the map. a couple others with just smithys on the back. I believe I jumped from 314 dinos to 344 dinos. This isn't accounting for the 5 wyverns, thyla, griffin, wolves and other dinos I claimed that day. I cannot be sure since this is my first encounter with it. I could remove some structures on some of these. I did inherit a bronto with a house on its back from another player prior to this patch as well.

I'm not sure what is considered adding toward the dino count with these, but so far the change if there was any was minimal on pve official.

On 16/08/2017 at 9:07 AM, Isho said:

Just like I've thought then, PVP reasons. Shame this has yet again absolutely nothing to do with PVE.

But the changes they makes to the game has to be valid for PvP and PvE. And for PvE you don't need tons of dino plateform anyway (in PvE), even though i did have tons of quetz with plateform saddle, i always took the same for farm, build and carry my rexes... Plus what i like of that, is that it gives a reason to ride not plateform saddle again which is not supposed to be a big deal on PvE

a work around on PvE would be using alliances though, thats what i would probably do to store excessive saddles or dinos. 

To keep track of quetz you can use sleeping bag on the ground

12 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

This is why, as I may have said before, I'm still vehemently opposed to open betas/open early access. Too many people place unrealistic expectations on developers, then lash out in various irrational ways when those expectations aren't met. There are benefits to paid early-access...indie developers actually stand a chance of making a game for one, but there are thousands of complaints about Ark's current state that would have NEVER been made if the same people complaining saw Ark for the first time at release.

I will agree but will also add that if Ark was released to public with any public-beta / early access, there would have been only 5-10% of sales they realized so far. 

I for one would most likely haven't paid attention at this $60 game. At $20 (price I bought it for), I got attracted and got entertained. 

3 hours ago, ArkCreation said:

I play on official pve island with several platform saddles for quetzals and brontos. I dont have much built on these platform saddles right now. One quetzal with a few ceiling, foundations, 2 smithys and wooden ramps for dinos. Another bronto has giant stone trap doors for when I moved a lot of dinos across the map. a couple others with just smithys on the back. I believe I jumped from 314 dinos to 344 dinos. This isn't accounting for the 5 wyverns, thyla, griffin, wolves and other dinos I claimed that day. I cannot be sure since this is my first encounter with it. I could remove some structures on some of these. I did inherit a bronto with a house on its back from another player prior to this patch as well.

I'm not sure what is considered adding toward the dino count with these, but so far the change if there was any was minimal on pve official.

I was asking the question because the day before patch I tamed two sheeps which put us at 402/500 tamed dinos.

When the patch went live, we already had 3 brontos with platforms (and a bed on each of them) and 3 Q with built on platforms (one is a transport Q with ramps, one is a primemeat farmer with fridge/generator/grill on it and one is a Q catcher). 

Our dino count stayed at 402/500. 

I've also put a platform saddle on another Q, dino count stayed 402. Built on that newly place platform, dino count stayed at 402. Even tested with an ally to claim/unclaim a dino (thinking it might need a ''reset'' of the internal counter). Dino count stayed at 402. 

So ya...not sure it's fully implemented/working as intended. 

I can see how moving structures puts a strain on servers, as Xbox plats have always been buggy around structure limits, so maybe they just need to ditch the creativity side and make pre-fab saddles that cannot be modified. They can have different versions for farming, war, transport etc. seems to me it would be a much better solution than trying to deter players from using them with the 'compromise your tame slots'  tactics. What does ye readers think? And from someone with experience with the u4 engine.. would this work?

10 minutes ago, BigRed1227 said:

So let me get this straight, a platform saddle that is NOT on the dino counts towards 19 tame spots?

Or

The platform saddle that IS on said dino is 19 tame spots?

If the first is true, then I gotta build more grinders

A platform Saddle that is on a Dino "AND HAS STRUCTURES" built on it will count as 19 dino spots. 

It has to have structures on it to count as 19.

No structures it does not count as anything.

Archived