Is it possible to play on an official server casually/alone

TheSnives

For the entire time I've had ark I've played single player. However, ive done all I wanted to do so I was wondering about joining a server. I've seen all the posts about official servers and all the problems with them so i know i dont want to play pvp or pve. However, i was wondering about the no tame servers. These are my questions.

1. If I join a no tame server and make no effort to join a tribe, will I be wiped or will I at least be able to play until I get in the way of an alpha tribe?

2. Are there any chill servers that I can join and not worry about my stuff 24/7?

3. If I join any server, can I not play for a couple of days and expect my stuff to still be there when I log on?

4. If I join any server, is there any way to progress other than grinding for hours every day (I don't care if I'm the top tribe or not I just wanna have some fun and possibly be a trader).

5. Should or should I not try to join a server if I don't plan on taking it seriously?

6. Are there pve no tame servers or just PvP no tame servers?

I have experienced most of the game already so i don't care about building a massive base or doing anything big. I just want to have a little shack in the woods and trade with other players, is that possible on any server at all?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, TheSnives said:

is that possible on any server at all?

any (well almost) Official PVE server would allow you to find your spot in the woods for a house and you could trade as much as you like. there are several successful solo players on the server i am on.

1. its pvp, expect to be wiped at anytime

2. if referring to the no tame servers i would say no, your stuff will not be safe.

3. the time you can stay logged out is dependent on the construction materials you use

4. probably not at first, as you will have to get a spot built. once you start trading, dependent on your product you could trade for most things you may need.

5. um...whatever you want to do. just dont leave stuff all over the server for the "serious" tribes to have to clean up lol

6. not sure, but i dont think PVE no tame is a thing.

1. You WILL be wiped if you play PVP. PVE you should be fine and won't have to worry as much about everything.

2. See #1

3. See #1

4. Not unless it's unofficial where the rates are boosted.

5. I heard no-tame is fun, but only if you like PVP.

6. Only PVP ones.

Sooo...from the sounds of things, no-tame isn't for you. If you want to keep your stuff and not worry so much about losing it or getting wiped, you definitely don't want to play PVP anything in this game. =\

I would recommend an unofficial PVE server with slightly boosted rates (maybe like x5 everything and boosted breeding/imprinting) and lite mods (meaning maybe only building ones and some QoL mods like Eco mods. that sounds like the mode for you, and frankily I've spent about 90% of my Ark life on unofficials. It's the best and most fun experience I've had so far when you find an active server with a fair admin who upholds fair rules =)

Join pve official on Xbox since we don't really have unofficial servers. It's fun.. you won't be talking to Wilson anymore and most of the negatives you hear about official are bs as Xbox has a really good community. You'll find many pve players also have "commando" characters  on pvp where there's not much upkeep and you don't care if your wiped.. you log off naked with a hidden cache

PvE? Yes.

Depends on what you want to shoot for. You can get up to easy bosses solo.

PvP? No. Forget it. You will get wipped, you'll be frustrated and probably going to make rants here in some weeks about how bad Alphas are and that we should wipe them because they understood the game.

Even on no-tame you can't have long-term fun playing solo and casually.

Some people are saying you will be wiped on a PvP server. This is not true. There are some where the alpha tribes maintain the rules of the land. Some of them do not allow raiding unless it is provoked (ex. you hurt a dino someone was taming so now it will be a lower level). I was invited to two such servers so far like this, one of which was Primitive+.

You just have to do your research. You can play by yourself. Make sure to befriend the strong tribes as they will most likely help you out if you helped them out. For example one tribe needed a Gallimimus kibble or two for a beaver. I gave them 35. When we recently got insided and lost all our stuff, that guy I helped out 2 months ago with the kibble hooked me up with some great gear and loaned me my choice of BPs.

I used to play on Eu pve 417 server alone for a year, because my tribemates got bored of repetitive gameplay and they were right in the end. Playing alone is very limiting. Mejority of time you will spend grinding resources to build basic base and its equipment and that grows old very fast. Taming Quetzal may be almost impossible unless you make it stuck on a rock. Taming dinosaurs will be also a pain in a butt, because no one could take a look at animal when you had to go away from pc for a moment. You can forget about getting Tek Tier playing alone as well. Bosses are unfair and they cannot be beaten alone with army of imprinted T-rexes without abusing glitches. 

If you plan to play alone on official servers, I recommand playing on PVE server and get to know other friendly players there. They could help you if were in trouble. You ought to get a few dinosaurs which will lower the extreme level of grindfest: an anky, a doedicurus, a beaver  and a dear. Then you will be able to build a base much faster. Without them you would get tired off the game really quickly if you didn't have a lot of time to play. Be friendly to other players. If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you. 

Yes, it's possible.

No, it's not going to be easy.

You'll need to plan ahead.  The best way to play as a solo player is to stay hidden. Small bases are good - make heavy use of ramps instead of walls (so your base doesn't 'look' like a base from a distance), and keep bases in heavily forested areas, and areas of low traffic.  I also like to use paint on bases to camouflage them (green and brown when building in forests, for example).  It's actually amazing how close you can get to a well disguised base before you see them, if they are well done.

You can build hidden caches which just look like random foundations.  Using some stone foundations and pillars, you can build a construct that has 2 foundations connected at different heights.  You can then place a cache box on the lower foundation, and place another foundation "on top" of it connected to the higher foundation.  To any observer, it just looks like a pair of stone foundations lying about in the wild, but you can destroy the hidden foundation and retrieve the kit from the cache.

Solo play invariably means scattering your belongings amongst multiple bases, as you don't have the manpower to defend a single base.  You *will* lose bases, but by sharing stuff amongst many the impact will be less.

You'll have a hard time keeping any large dinos, but you can build up a good set of smaller, multi-purpose dinos.  A beaver (albeit a pain in the arse to tame) makes a good mobile Smithy, can be fast across both land and water, and can be well tanked.   A pteranodon can fit through a standard human doorway, so you can store them in a really small base footprint.

For me, solo play is about being smarter than the larger tribes.  You'll never be able to take them head-on.

Play unofficial. They tend to have more rules against wiping and griefers in general.

I've been on the same unofficial since November last year and it's a pretty chill community with no wiping allowed and offline raid protection during the week meaning you won't wake up to a pile of rubble.

There is also a trader who has his own library stocked with BP's that people can use and pay a percentage of the mats to him for the privelege.

Shoot me a message if you want the details. They also have discord if you want to check out the community before diving in.

I only play on official PVP servers.

It basically boils down to

-do not waste time building any structures (especially iron) as the whole server will be wiped by the alpha usually on a cycle of 1-2 weeks (they will use duped c4 so doesnt matter what tier base you have, it will be reduced to the ground)

-do not bother taming animals as they will also be killed on the above cycle

this leaves

-only tame what you are going to use (usually an argi tameD with mutton gotten on raknarok server) and realise this is just a temp tame, it will be dead before too long

*hint with mutton gotten from rag its more efficient time wise to tame high hp carnivores for tanking turrets than taming turtles/doeds with berries

-try to build up to a fab and start making rockets/grenades c4

-have a bit of fun raiding noob bases

Realise that it doesnt matter how much you manage to steal you will lose it all before long so might as well go out and have some fun with it.

Rise and repeat on a two week cycle.

P.s. look up how to hide your steam names when swapping/raiding servers or the two week cycle will most likely end with you in a cage.

Pro tips,

-Hide your loot on an animal that doesn't have an oxygen stat in water

-place a few small storage boxs together and then place a foundation over the top of them (will hide them from view and most ppl will ignore a single foundation with nothing else around it unless they are literally wiping everything)

-not sure if this is possible anymore - place a small storage box on a raft, and then drive the raft into a wall preventing access to the storage box.(this could be considered a glitch - but with the skew of power favouring alphas to the point of destroying the game for solo players I feel justified in using everything I can as a solo player to guard the little I have) and im sure the devs have got other bugs way more deserving of their time!

Very possible to solo PVE, PVP not so much without having some sort of relationship with your neighbors.  I play mostly exclusively primitive PVE though I spent a month or so on PVE thecenter and iv tamed pretty much everything except for quatz and gigas but thats more as personal preference than ability, as I dont like large land dinos  only ever got a few of those (were talking a 2 rexes on prim, 3 on center, a 140 spino on center) with preperation and time you can do pretty much anything solo though to be fair when I did all my base building and major taming it was way before stuff like troodons were lurking around waiting to make trouble for me, most I had to deal with was ants and scorpions on land or the occasional shark or plesio in the ocean.  I also got along with most of my neighbors though almost all of those have quit at this point, traded a squid for a wvyern, traded color mutated thorny dragon eggs for high level bary/theri eggs, ect ect so while iv lived alone and tamed alone dosn't mean iv always been completely on my own.

It's possible, but you won't have access to some of the fancier dinos, and you always have to accept that you are playing a limited run scenario.  You WILL be wiped.  Most of the time, you won't even be able to build into metal, because you'll be so hopelessly outmatched by every beta tribe with more than handful of mediocre players.  That being said, it is rewarding and makes for some of the best ARK play stories, in my experience.  

I played as a bagel salesman on official 574 months ago amidst inter-server megatribe strife and had tons of fun doing it.  Have a gimmick, serve a legit purpose, and make sure you are seen as an asset by your neighbors and server-mates, and not an obstruction or annoyance.  Politics and diplo-macy are important on official.

But I'd wait a bit before you do official playthroughs, right now sounds like a bad time, judging by the forum chatter.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:38 AM, Lewiatan said:

I used to play on Eu pve 417 server alone for a year, because my tribemates got bored of repetitive gameplay and they were right in the end. Playing alone is very limiting. Mejority of time you will spend grinding resources to build basic base and its equipment and that grows old very fast. Taming Quetzal may be almost impossible unless you make it stuck on a rock. Taming dinosaurs will be also a pain in a butt, because no one could take a look at animal when you had to go away from pc for a moment. You can forget about getting Tek Tier playing alone as well. Bosses are unfair and they cannot be beaten alone with army of imprinted T-rexes without abusing glitches. 

If you plan to play alone on official servers, I recommand playing on PVE server and get to know other friendly players there. They could help you if were in trouble. You ought to get a few dinosaurs which will lower the extreme level of grindfest: an anky, a doedicurus, a beaver  and a dear. Then you will be able to build a base much faster. Without them you would get tired off the game really quickly if you didn't have a lot of time to play. Be friendly to other players. If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you. 

Use rare flowers and big trap for solo taming..

Archived