Let's talk about Yutyrannus DPS

YellowJacket

When they were announced I was pretty excited about these guys, and after they made it into the game I went to find some and I got even more excited when I saw that these guys were almost the size of a Rex, I was kind of hoping for something performing similar to a Rex but having better maneuverability (which it sure has over the Rex).

When I finally tamed a decently high lvl one I went to test it, only to be quite shocked by it's bad attack speed and it seemed to me that it has a very low dps.

After some testing in singleplayer and comparing it to a Rex it was pretty obvious that the damage output is massively worse than that of a Rex.

Don't get me wrong, I see that this dino's main role is to bufgf allies in big fights/ boss arenas but in my opinion the damage is extremely underwhelming, not so much because of the damage per hit, which is pretty decent at 55, as it surely should't do as much per hit as a Rex, but more because of the absolutely horrible attack speed.

I'd like to see a buff to the attack speed to make it at least similary fast as the attack speed of a Rex, at least when ridden by a player.

What do you people think? Should it stay as it is or do you agree with me that a attack speed buff would be something nice to have? Because I myself can't really see myself to do much with them except just pumping hp on one and taking it to boss fights.

This is sad news. I am on PS4 so I don't have access to the Yutyrannus yet. I have been looking forward it it, basically drooling to tame one since announced. I really hope this gets addressed either before, by or soon after update to PS4! Are you able to remote/whistle it to roar so if you're by yourself with a group you don't have to be riding it to use its buff? I assume no because that would be too cool for school and we aren't that lucky.. I am sure I'll need friends to take full advantage of this new dinosaur haha (I'm actually sad and the haha is the only thing keeping the tears away :S).

Well the base stats and stat gain per lvl are exactly the same as on a Rex I figured, so it would make sense to me if the damage output would also be somewhat close to that of a Rex.

And i'm not exaggerating, the attack speed is so slow it's painful to even watch your screen while using that thing, a Allo with the same melee does more dps (without alpha boost!), a Rex does like 1.75-ish the dps.

Also I think the AI will use the roars so you dont necessarily need someone to sit on it, but would have to try it.

Not to beat the obvious dead horse here, but the Yuty is a powerhouse dino in support. Support is its main role. The carno taming and the dps that the Yuty provides is sub par when compared to other powerhouse dinos that specialize in damage, of course. But combining the two would create extreme imbalance. But in a boss arena where the only dino's that would normally have a damage bonus are the ones that are being ridden? 25% extra damage to every friendly dino in the area, including allied tribes? That's incredibly powerful.

16 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Anyone tested how they perform in boss fights yet? are they worth sacrificing a rex for? Do they need to be ridden to buff friendly dinos? Or can i just leave it on passive in the back of the arena, jump on a rex and let it buff us while we fight the boss?

I have 3 in my dino pen and they've never roared on their own so I doubt they would in a boss fight. Would most likely need a rider

22 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Anyone tested how they perform in boss fights yet? are they worth sacrificing a rex for? Do they need to be ridden to buff friendly dinos? Or can i just leave it on passive in the back of the arena, jump on a rex and let it buff us while we fight the boss?

Absolutely use one, buff 19 Rexes by 25% each. That's about equal to the power of five other Rexes. 

You could also give up on another one and bring a Daeodon if you're unsure about survivability. 

9 minutes ago, maze said:

Absolutely use one, buff 19 Rexes by 25% each. That's about equal to the power of five other Rexes. 

You could also give up on another one and bring a Daeodon if you're unsure about survivability. 

Would you have a player riding it? How long does the buff last? Or do i back up the rex, jump off and onto the Yut and roar and afterwards get back on the rex and continue fighting?

33 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Would you have a player riding it? How long does the buff last? Or do i back up the rex, jump off and onto the Yut and roar and afterwards get back on the rex and continue fighting?

Yuty's can go into 'turret' mode where they will stand still in one spot and roar at the nearest enemy. I don't know if it works in the boss arena's though, but I don't see why they wouldn't. you do not need a rider for turret mode either, they will roar on their own.

21 minutes ago, maze said:

Don't know if they decide on their own what roar to use. If they only fear-roar they will only scare the Araneos off, no DPS increase at all.

I'd suggest having the Yuty in the back at turret mode anyways and hop off your Rex to courage-roar every once in a while (no idea how long the buff lasts, but it's very visible). 

Or to have one Yuty in turret mode roaring fear to fend off adds during the boss fight and player riding another one for boost. 2 Yutys are for mate boost for better survivability. Benefit they provide is still better than 2 rexes that will be swapped.

Basically if we take 20 rexes as base, then 16 Rexes with Yuty boost will do same DPS as those without one (Actually more because Yuty will attack and do dps as well) freeing 3 extra slots for other utility dinos (2 boars and another Yuty).

I have other ideas:

- Yuty in TEK cave, roaring cave denizens into the lava pits and frolicking through the cave to the end. No need to bring full herd of dinos.

- Pachyrhino + Yuty combo, gathers all the dinos around you but keeps them away at same time

- Oxygen Yuty in turret mode on platform of Mosa/Plesi to fend off all the scary eels. If roars in turret mode work underwater.

- If consequent roar overwrites effect of previous one, then it is possible to navigate smaller dinos into taming traps without an ability to grab them with flyers in PvE... Or organize a soccer match with roaring Yutys as players and Raptor as a "ball".

Archived