Sound Pass

BigDally

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, opl said:

I think this is how the giga should sound.

The idle sounds don't fit in that video, because idle animations don't support/fit to sounds Giga makes in that mod.

We have to pay attention to what we hear and what we see. If you hear deep long growl, but an animal don't do anything visually then your suspenion of disbelief is broken.

Rex needs more bass, and I would love for Megalosaurus to have a really unique roar that lets anyone know that their not safe during the night (their current roar is sort of a growl). If you are going for a higher pitched giga roar please add some base and let it resonate (almost like a Godzilla roar :p). Lastly, if spino could stand bipedally and give out a massive roar (then go back to all fours) that would be awesome! Thank you for hearing us!

The updated sound when Pteras fly is a very odd choice.. It doesn't sound at all like large, leathery wings flapping. It more like an impact sound. To me, it sounds like marching, like boots.

The other odd one is the male voice. It doesn't seem like he got any new sounds, just lowered pitch. It sounds very unnatural, like someone saying, "HYAH!" through a pitch shifter.

Also, like some others are saying, a few of the flyers make too much noise while flying. The Argentavis and the Tapejara come to mind. I love Tapejara's voice, personally, but he doesn't need to be so vocal while we're out exploring.. haha

Outside of making dino roars "scarier" or adding more bass, my biggest wish is that a rex roar or even wolf howl should be heard from render distance.  I get why the case might not be right now would be because of a fear of "noise pollution" but I think just changing how often wild animals use their roars (not every time they agro on a wild dodo) would be a better and more immersive solution than making the audio range be like ten feet away.

Guns for sure regardless need to have louder audio range within render distance unless using a silencer.

1 hour ago, Silk said:

Thunder should make me piss myself when it goes off at random.

Really, people want this?

Some of us have hearing problems where loud noises cause our ears to ring (tinnitus). After playing ARK for a few hours, I can get some ringing in the ears and this is with the current only occasional loud noises. We do not need more loud noises.

I really don't have the option of turning the volume down, I need to hear some of the quieter noises that indicate various things in the game. 

Carnos don't sound nearly as threatening now. Before they sounded angry and hungry!.....now they just sound bland, generic, and weird. 

Also, roars of different creatures (Rex, Giga, Allo, etc.) need to have more "boom" in their roars. It'd be awesome of sounds like those carried over distances like the new Yutyrannous roar! :D

2 hours ago, vaintfb said:

I think the gigas roars need to be more low pitched. they are slightly to high for something the size of the in game giga imo

I like the gigas current roar... It reminds me of the indominus from Jurassic world especially if you tame an albino one... I think it should be louder and a little longer but other than that I like it as it is

Creatures that I think need new sounds are

The diplodocus: would love it to sound like the walking with dinosaurs one with noises ranging from gutteral growls to higher pitched moans

The rex: I know it's been said before but it's current roar is the most generic t rex roar I've heard. Sounds like it came from one of those light up + sound toys you'd get as a kid

Raptor: this has been said before but I really don't like it's new sounds... 

Iguanodon: although it's a relatively new creature its roar just doesn't suit it in my opinion... I'd rather it have a "honk" noise.. less like a parasaurolophus but still kind of honky

Most aquatic animals: the mosasaur, plesiosaur ichthyosaurus etc just don't sound quite as good. The ichthyosaurus is probably the least concern but the mosa should sound intimidating... Also for tlc pass please let it be able to jump out of the water to grab flyers ;) would be cool.

Also as far as tlc and sounds go I hope that one day all creatures both old and new have a triggerable "emote" roar. Would be really cool to see the unique animations and roars they could implement

There are more but for me these are the ones I dislike the most

49 minutes ago, fillidill said:

You should seriously take a look at below link if you haven't. I think this guy has nailed a lot of the sounds I would like with the exception of the allo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jeuklecks/videos

He also took sounds directly from movies and other copyrighted sources. Can't do that :P
I disagree with more than half of what he's done so we're not using his mod, which just goes to show you can never please everyone. I love his wolf howl in the distance. I love his ocean sounds but then more than half of the animals sound extremely odd or dull to me. And the sound on the Giga roar. While parts of it is nice, the overall roar is way too loud and makes little sense.

Anyways, the thing that annoys me the most right now with the current ARK sound is the animals with only half the sounds. Like the anky attack, you can hear the feet moving, setting up for the attack, but only half the footsteps have sound. The rest are silent. Either have all footsteps or none. It doesn't look or sound good when half of it is missing :) 

Time of the day sounds for the Islands more tropical areas. Mornings can have bird calls and maybe a parasaur hoot here and there echoing in the distance. Evenings can have the sound of cicadas calling out. During the night cricket and katydid sounds would fit the night time perfectly. 

For the rain before it comes in the sound of wind rushing would be perfect. Just like how a front moves in and the wind goes crazy something like that followed by the sound of thunder. The further out the storm the thunder is not heard as well but it picks up in sound the more the storm draw closer and the wind sounds pick up. 

The Mosa needs a pass. It needs a good deep sound to go along with it's swimming and a good jaw clamping noise would be perfect way to emphasis it's power.

Archived