Thoughts on changing swamp size

EchoingTime

58ec2e19cda5a_arkmap.thumb.jpg.ff48ea1d4c5e852dc7b6a24546e2f25e.jpg

The white lining is what I think should be changed into a river. It will go along the weathertop up to the R in redwood forests. (connecting to the ocean too) With the nerfing of the flyers it may be a good idea to have a river in this location. (will open up a great spot for beavers and spinos+a route to the other rivers)

For starters they'll be able to go from the footpaw and travel their raft up to the other parts of the map. It will provide a better transport for land dinos (instead of getting stuck in the swamps and thousands of leeches jumping on you) I tried to travel with 12 dinos and I had to find 5 of my lost dinos within the swamps. You will be able to travel faster with land/sea dino in the new lake/river so your dinos will not get stuck that often.

Maybe have the rivers/lake be deep and wide for larger sea dinos to travel in it too.

Thoughts? I am also wondering if the map size should be increased or more land changes like the redwood (will not be the redwood though)

+Edit: Also with the neft players will have trouble with land dinos and sea dinos going.. New dinos can easily take you off your tamed mount. 

2 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

I'd personally prefer that lagoon to the west of the Redwoods be cleared out partially. The swamp could taper off around where the "e" in "The" or the "W" in "Writhing" is, and the rest could be water. It'd be a good place to have a lot of Sabertooth Salmon spawns, and some Spinos.

Like extending the swamp near the footpaw area and have the white area of the swamp still removed or more around it? 

2 minutes ago, EchoingTime said:

Like near the footpaw area and have the white area of the swamp still removed or more?

Yeah near the Footpaw, but not along the highlighted area. That'd provide a southwest-northeast travel route via boat, which would be ideal since there's no short route along that path currently. It also wouldn't "split" the Swamp

3 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Yeah near the Footpaw, but not along the highlighted area. That'd provide a southwest-northeast travel route via boat, which would be ideal since there's no short route along that path currently. It also wouldn't "split" the Swamp

Ah I see. I think that could work too with the swamps and clearing that out would be a great spot for spinos and more beavers. Also like you said, there'll be a route to the grand hills.

Just a FYI but the area used to be rivers doing a big circuit around the area currently know as the Redwoods, so the sea exit was exactly where you are talking about in the South. However that was lost when the swamp was implemented.  Incidentally it is possible to raft from the South sea side all the way to the end, which is to the east of the redwoods by the Eastern Plains area.

5 hours ago, Oldkane said:

Just a FYI but the area used to be rivers doing a big circuit around the area currently know as the Redwoods, so the sea exit was exactly where you are talking about in the South. However that was lost when the swamp was implemented.  Incidentally it is possible to raft from the South sea side all the way to the end, which is to the east of the redwoods by the Eastern Plains area.

Yes it use to, and I think the highlighted area should probably return back to being rivers/lakes. The swamp will still cover a lot of the map but right now it seems to cover to much of the rivers. That kind of makes it impossible to get a nice clear access from the footpaw up and around to the volcano and out along the eastern plains. I believe what you are talking about is sailing all the around and going into the eastern plains? That could work too but having more then one clear exit would be nice. +it will be a great spot for more spinos/beavers. Since the flyer nerf occurred or is occurring for xbox/ps4 players, it may be a good way for sea dinos and land dinos to move about instead of getting lost in the swamps

5 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

Yes it use to, and I think the highlighted area should probably return back to being rivers/lakes. The swamp will still cover a lot of the map but right now it seems to cover to much of the rivers. That kind of makes it impossible to get a nice clear access from the footpaw up and around to the volcano and out along the eastern plains. I believe what you are talking about is sailing all the around and going into the eastern plains? That could work too but having more then one clear exit would be nice. +it will be a great spot for more spinos/beavers. Since the flyer nerf occurred or is occurring for xbox/ps4 players, it may be a good way for sea dinos and land dinos to move about instead of getting lost in the swamps

Yes!!

On 4/11/2017 at 10:31 AM, fewcm said:

I like this idea. I'd gladly relocate my snake farm for being able to take my raft north from footpaw around redwood island.

The snake farm maybe a great spot near Gulch for relocating it? Since one of the other updates are coming out(the whales) people may want to move their rafts in so it'll be safe from danger haha.

2 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yes please. I'm tempted to foundation that area off to make a route on my server. 

Also, I can't be the only one who finds it funny that the eastern plains are woods right? 

Lol, that's a good point. I don't know if this is the actually the names of each place (I didn't make the map)

I'd be ok with them reducing the swamp size since it is mostly dead space that I just avoid.  There's almost no reason to go there so I just fly over or go around.  I doubt the devs will revert the specific area you mentioned though - lots of work was put into making it look like it does so you'd probably only see minor changes at best.  Personally I'd also like more actual plains areas.  With the number of creatures they have in the game now the map could do with a bit of an expansion all around.  If the devs never get around to doing that I'm sure a mod map or PGM will become my preferred map eventually.

1 hour ago, bloddstar said:

I'd be ok with them reducing the swamp size since it is mostly dead space that I just avoid.  There's almost no reason to go there so I just fly over or go around.  I doubt the devs will revert the specific area you mentioned though - lots of work was put into making it look like it does so you'd probably only see minor changes at best.  Personally I'd also like more actual plains areas.  With the number of creatures they have in the game now the map could do with a bit of an expansion all around.  If the devs never get around to doing that I'm sure a mod map or PGM will become my preferred map eventually.

I hope mods are avaible for console players since I go on the xbox one. I don't know though, the area would be great as a lake/river area again since it was as swamp for some time.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

I don't know, I remember the river and it was cool and all but the swamp is a rich resource, all the best sources of raw meat are in the swamp, it's great for breeding if you live near there.

also, I agree. i had a great base in the swamps months back. There is a ton of food and wood, and numerous frogs to choose from. My only complaint is that there's no way to have water dino in the swamp area.

19 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

also, I agree. i had a great base in the swamps months back. There is a ton of food and wood, and numerous frogs to choose from. My only complaint is that there's no way to have water dino in the swamp area.

20 hours ago, DeningWei said:

I don't know, I remember the river and it was cool and all but the swamp is a rich resource, all the best sources of raw meat are in the swamp, it's great for breeding if you live near there.

19 hours ago, Rancor said:

They already cut the swamp in half from its original size, I don't think it needs another reduction :/ 

On the right side of the marked location is a massive swamp area too. I understand the best resource for meat too but I feel like the swamp takes to much land up+with the flyer nerf this would make transport better for land/sea dinos. I just think it's over the top to have the swamp almost connect from one side to the other side. They did cut the swamp size before however it's been sometime since that occurred. If you want to walk you land dinos from the lower point of the island to the topper areas.. You'll have problems since new dinos can easily take you off your dino now. 

20 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

My thoughts are that you should play on ragnarok or wait for the new valhalla to come out. I'm pretty damn sure they probably aren't going to expand the island or change any location in it at this point. Unless maybe the sea, it still feels a little dull down at the bottom of the ocean at times.

I sadly can't play ragnarok or valhalla since I am an xbox player.. However if they add mod support one of these months then it may be a possibility. 

Archived