Resources Not Respawning Now Due to Pillar Spam

HighDBoom

The pillar patch needs to be undone.

As a member of multiple alpha tribes and many alliances there are a handful of ways the different tribes are handling this.

One is building ceiling tiles, they figure, if they can't protect the resources for themselves and for their allies NO ONE gets to have the resources.

One tribe is charging to have the pillars removed. They figure the low level tribes are suffering from the lack of resource spawns. So they will pay to have areas unpillared 

Another nicer one is doing the same thing, but they are charging 450 stone, thatch and wood per pillar. (they build behemoth gates when ever they demo a pillar)

One alpha tribe is taking an agressive stance where they give newer tribes one chance to demo and move. Then they just level them.

Another is pre-emptively getting discouraged and quiting. They know the devs don't have gms and hackers are almost never dealt with. So they know griefers are jumping servers and foundationing the prime resource nodes nodes, metal, dams, organic polymer. 

^^^ "Whats the point its now a loosing battle against griefers, the pillars protected us against things much worse"

The latest argument I hear was a call for griefing as a protest. Some people are trying to band a group together to purposefully server hop and foundation resource spawns. The thought process is, it will happen anyway, the pillars were the only way to keep resource nodes safe. If it happens faster across all servers then maybe the devs will remove this fix 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Mentaleak said:

As a member of multiple alpha tribes and many alliances there are a handful of ways the different tribes are handling this.

One is building ceiling tiles, they figure, if they can't protect the resources for themselves and for their allies NO ONE gets to have the resources.

One tribe is charging to have the pillars removed. They figure the low level tribes are suffering from the lack of resource spawns. So they will pay to have areas unpillared 

Another nicer one is doing the same thing, but they are charging 450 stone, thatch and wood per pillar. (they build behemoth gates when ever they demo a pillar)

One alpha tribe is taking an agressive stance where they give newer tribes one chance to demo and move. Then they just level them.

Another is pre-emptively getting discouraged and quiting. They know the devs don't have gms and hackers are almost never dealt with. So they know griefers are jumping servers and foundationing the prime resource nodes nodes, metal, dams, organic polymer. 

^^^ "Whats the point its now a loosing battle against griefers, the pillars protected us against things much worse"

The latest argument I hear was a call for griefing as a protest. Some people are trying to band a group together to purposefully server hop and foundation resource spawns. The thought process is, it will happen anyway, the pillars were the only way to keep resource nodes safe. If it happens faster across all servers then maybe the devs will remove this fix 

Never even thought of half these points.. jesus 

1 hour ago, Cataclisto said:

* Pillars now extend resource/respawn prevention radius as far out as foundations.Requires Server Update.
Ok my first question regarding this part of the patch, if the pillars act like foundations are they now preventing wildlife from re appearing in the same areas too?

* On August 22nd, we will be enabling Auto Destruction of any decayed (demolishable) PvE structures on all Official Servers. They will at that time be auto-destroyed if they are publicly demolishable. Also, at that time, all old lone (unsnapped) pillars & foundations will be cleared from Official PvP servers
Now about this, I love the first half of that, finally no more floating pipes... do it sooner and make it a monthly thing!, but for the second half will anything happen on pve too where pillars were a issue?

I think it was a bit too soon for this patch as there was no community poll or consensus or warning, a lot of people are going to rage as it doesn't deal with the issue of players being unable to build due to pillar spam on pve servers and instead does the exact opposite of what people actually liked using them for (preventing players from building by resources we wanted to farm, now they cant farm them), Hopefully we see a tribe limited structure soon that will have a bigger range then the original pillars for blocking players without blocking resources...

Edit - Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm supporter in changing the way pillars work as I've been forcibly pillared off of a official server and had to find a different server... its a much needed change, but makes the current problem worse.

That sucks you got pushed out of your old server however most official pve servers are not like that and this patch would be a breaker for many of them. On the three servers I have played on tribes pillar resource nodes for all to harvest not just themselves hence the patch notes saying pvp only. Granted, there is not much room to build on official pve but any new tribe coming in has been given not only land but Dinos and resources that would have taken them weeks to acquire. I would encourage anyone put off by pillar spam to spend a week or two on a raft, get to know the community- you would be surprised the support you might have in the end. After all on pve were not trying to kill eachother (mostly) I have seen tribes come full circle join a server complain there's no land had land given to them and now they're big enough where they are the ones giving land. So yeah this pillar patch doesn't ever need to apply to pve.

1 hour ago, CTMalum said:

Does this mean pillars right around bases will be destroyed?  I'm not talking about pillar spam land grab, in the case I'm talking about the strategic base defense pillars  I know a lot of people put pillars right around their gates to stop access from ground tames during a raid.  If their just have four or five pillars stacked up, will they be demolished? 

By the looks of it .. if they're snapped they won't be.. Maybe try going through your base protection pillars and making sure they're snapped even off a foundation that's not part of your base

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Mentaleak said:

So, some tribes are trying to drive the server into a low usage mode.  If so, everything might just get cleared off when Ark is ready for release.  

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

So let me get this straight, the devs have just replaced "pillar spam" with "gateway spam"? 

If so, well done devs, well done indeed! Another inept "fix" in a long line of recent inept "fixes"!

Devs did not replace anything.  Just like a spoon does not make you fat, having resources in a game to make and place something does not make you do it.  That is a player's choice and they could that without this change.  This is a massive straw man arguement wrapped in a lack of player responsibility.

Plus, building a gate does not mean placing a gate.   Maybe that was in the intent of the statement, but, if so, it was not constructed in a way that one would logically infer that meaning.  I personally know the difference between the verbs 'build' and 'place'.

To those at Wildcard, Who thought it would be a brilliant Idea to make pillars stop spawns. I have one thing to say to you.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAMN MINDS?!

Like Ok. The pillars can be abit excessive on some servers, But when its our only way to stop freaking trolls from coming onto the server, building ontop of the only resource spawns we can get, and then just log on just to keep the timers up, You basically just told your whole PvE player base, oh hey we don't give a crap about you, go raptor yourself. Its already bad enough that we don't get hardly any response from support when we report harassment it seems, you basically just stripped PvE Players of their only defense against trolls. Whoever though this was a good idea needs to have the taste smacked out of their mouths for being so pants on head retarded. Its already bad enough that there are are players who come onto server and like to grief people, But when the games own creators are freaking ENABLING THAT they are hurting themselves because AHAHA whos gonna want to play a game or buy a game that promotes people being greifing trolls. So. If you have any sense in the neurons of your brains, You will remove pillars from blocking resource spawns.

43 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

Yet another poorly thought out "fix" from the devs. There was 0 reason to suddenly make pillars block resource spawns.

There was probably zero intentions for pillars to be used the way they have been, they're obviously not part of the game plan. Why attack the devs for something the player base created.

2 hours ago, BigRed1227 said:

We have several pillars in the volcano because of such abuse so no one can build a base there.

I am worried about the same thing, and similar.

How can we prevent some new player, or some jerk, from blocking rare spawns?

How can we protect Beaver Spawns, or metal spawns now?

This change to pillars is not the best solution to handle maliciously placed pillars imo. This change negatively affects pillars meant to protect and do good.

A while back I suggested adding an option on the "wheel" (that thing that shows up when you hold down "E") on pillars where it would be "Report" so you can have digital data sent to Wildcard so they can have that information, like it would send Coordinates and Tribe owner and player owner data as well. IMO, my suggestion would be a far better solution than making us unable to protect rare spawns.

Sure, there are a few bad eggs that cause trouble with pillars, but this change is not the answer to that!!!

I have/had my own pillars set up to protect metal spawns, and now I have to take them down, but at what cost? The jerks could just put down their own foundations/pillars now and cut off the spawns and they won't be nice about it, because they are jerks! We currently are dealing with some jerks on my main server (PvE), waiting for Wildcard to ban them.... but if I take down those pillars, the jerks have a mind to go and place stuff of their own over there to cut off our resources...

Please Wildcard, think of another way! Remember there are JERKS on these PvE servers, and us good ppl need to protect ourselves and our resources from them evildoers!

I am honestly reconsidering continuing playing this game. After getting harassed to the point of leaving a primitive plus server last night, to this new unneeded change, I am getting disgusted with how it is being handled.

Some people would suggest going to an unofficial server. I have no idea how long the server would be up, as well as, when will they wipe the server destroying all that i have done. I don't see the point of spending hours doing something only to have it removed because someone wanted to start fresh. Switching servers is one thing.

I have hopes for this game, and I hope that the devs can see that what they have done is hurting more than helping. At this point I am not sure anymore. I will continue to play, and maybe things will get better. But I see new players joining and going oh look, metal right here, I will build here and I can always have metal. Then crying because it is not respawning.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

You and your unwavering support for the WC devs. This change is going to fix nothing, and you know it. Go ahead and continue to defend these horrible game design decisions though, I know the mod gig is super important to you. 

Again, strawman.

No where do you see me defending this, nor do you see me against it.

I simply pointed out the errors you made in your statement.

And, you can find many times where I have not agreed with a change:  Winterwonder Land, Valentines Day, Industrial Cooker and Bear Barrel implementations, for example.

I just try to look at things logically, understand this is the nature of an interative design process, and make suggestions and report bugs as appropriate.

And, some people approach these things more constructively.  Like with ORP, with the one player who did a great job in organizing possible issues, exploits, and bugs, and the offered up constructive ideas and critisisms, instead of appearing to be drowning in a pool of their own vitriol.

Look, I'm not excited about it as much as the next guy but once the wipe happens, go and place more down, it's simple.

Seems like the wipe is a 1 time thing for us pve players.  Once that happens,  then we can place more down to stop a holes.

And think about all those pesky electric lines finally gone.....

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

I have read no less than 15 posts by 15 different players explaining why this is a terrible idea and why it won't work. We do not need to "see how this works". We know how it will work: poorly. 

Telling them they are about to make a mistake is about as proactively constructive as we can be.

Then do so constructively, accurately, and try not to over extroplate to absurd points just so you can cast more insults.

I have seen it done on these forums, with some positive results.  Especially if you drop the irrelevant noise, which only drowns out any valid point you might have.

13 minutes ago, BigRed1227 said:

Look, I'm not excited about it as much as the next guy but once the wipe happens, go and place more down, it's simple.

Seems like the wipe is a 1 time thing for us pve players.  Once that happens,  then we can place more down to stop ahols

The bigger issue isn't the wipe, its that the pillars block spawns. The reason alpha tribes pillar is usually spawn protection.

We could just as easily foundation the entire map if we were simply trying to prevent people from building. 

(Yes I know foundations require more resources)
The truth is some of us have an abundance of the resources. The mining facility my tribe used to have keyword "mining" not even a real secure and enforced base had over 1500 ceiling tiles in it (I built it with one other person, we were the mining crew we harvested 30,000 ingots a day.

Worse case it could easily demo it and cap 750 pillars and permanently block spawns.

The more I read and think about the demolish I may like it. My reasoning is this:

I play pve, so the demolishing pillars that are demolishable, meaning you can physically walk up and demolish yourself, bc no one has reset the timers is a good thing. 1. It takes away the time you have to spend on doing it yourself and 2. It frees up alot of building space. 

Now you can replace them with your own after as long as you go by and refresh them every couple of days. Those of us who are on every or every other day will not have to worry. 

But, if they screw up the code somehow and say demolish all pillars, then I'm in alot of trouble with my volcano cliff platform since the whole thing is pillars and ceilings 

• Volunteer Moderator

So let me get this straight.

There are pillars filling the bowl of the volcano to keep morons from building in it and blocking all the metal.

So now the pillars will block the metal from spawning. So logical conclusion is you remove the pillars to bring the metal spawns back.

Now some moron moves in and builds in the bowl and blocks the metal spawns.

This is on PVE, so you can't get the moron to move.

Great move. Brilliant. 

Great job with the pillar changes WC. Now people are forced to remove pillars to allow resources to respawn again thereby opening HUGE areas of the map up to griefers. Griefers in the past were stopped by pillars around but now they will be free to block people from building AND block people from gathering resources. Let me reiterate these things in simpler terms with bullet points.

• Pillars now block the same resources as foundations.
    Wonderful(sarcasm) change, so now everyone who has pillared to stop griefers will be FORCED to remove their pillars or penalise everyone on the entire server. The aforementioned pillar removal will open up large areas of the map to anyone who wants to pillar to grief other people.

• All non snapped pillars will be removed on PvP and decayed pillars on PvE.
    Ok, so all someone needs to do now is go around and snap other objects to their pillars; be it another pillar or something as simple as a thatch ceiling. Don't assume that people wont do this or do not have the resources to do so. A griefer was recently banned from our server and I claimed a few of his Rexs; They were FULL of hundreds of wooden walls specifically to grief others or fence them into their own base(i know this for a fact because he did it to me). The above mentioned pillar removal will do the same as i explained in my previous point.

Why was none of this thought through? Did you not consider that you are further penalising entire servers even more? Opening up entire servers to even more grief? Giving griefers even more power to abuse the system?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Engraverwilliam said:

I welcome this change. I like playing on official servers but when I cannot find a place to build I am forced to leave to empty private servers because of the spam... resouce blocking trolls will do what they do....but this is with any game.

How is this going to help you? The pillars in PVE will all still be there as long as the tribe is active.

31 minutes ago, Jamagh said:

I am honestly reconsidering continuing playing this game. After getting harassed to the point of leaving a primitive plus server last night, to this new unneeded change, I am getting disgusted with how it is being handled.

Some people would suggest going to an unofficial server. I have no idea how long the server would be up, as well as, when will they wipe the server destroying all that i have done. I don't see the point of spending hours doing something only to have it removed because someone wanted to start fresh. Switching servers is one thing.

I have hopes for this game, and I hope that the devs can see that what they have done is hurting more than helping. At this point I am not sure anymore. I will continue to play, and maybe things will get better. But I see new players joining and going oh look, metal right here, I will build here and I can always have metal. Then crying because it is not respawning.

Unofficial servers are many times better than official ones, you just need to find one with a good and active admin then you don't have to worry about things like pillar spamming. Officials have these kind of issues cause there is no admin on the server to prevent it.

• Volunteer Moderator

There are pillars filling the bowl of the volcano to keep morons from building in it and blocking all the metal.

So now the pillars will block the metal from spawning. So logical conclusion is you remove the pillars to bring the metal spawns back.

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

Yup, If this is their idea of allowing new players to build they really should go back to the whiteboard and have longer meetings about such things.

Archived