No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

The process right now is:
• Create a new steam account for your server
• Buy a second copy of the game on that account (the 1st copy is the one you want to play on)

The future:
• Create a new steam account for every single map expansion they release for ASA
• For each of these accounts, buy a copy of ASA

So based on their current design, ultimately we are looking at 12 additional steam accounts and 13 total purchases of the game (your main steam account + 12 servers)

The Island, Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, Genesis Part 1, Genesis Part 2, The Center, Ragnarok, Valguero, Crystal Isles, Lost Island, Fjordur

OR

Pay Nitrado an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money per server because they have a global monopoly on commercial server hosting.

This is just... wierd?

• Like 2

Just now, GrumpyBear said:

It seems more like a boa constrictor around the neck of this game franchise.  I can't see this ending well.

It's a business model I guess, but, noway anything good is coming out of this, unless they are willing to keep forking over tons of money to streamers, but that will kill the profit anyway.

Not having high hopes on Ark 2 anymore, nor the continued existance of the franchise. There is wanting to make money, and then there is just pure stupidity.

49 minutes ago, Maelmir said:

The ram requirements alone are ridiculous to run a single server, is this really just an Unreal 5 engine problem or is it a Wildcard problem?

Lmao the steam reviews are referring to AsA as a powerpoint slideshow right now

Edited by UnethicalOctopus

Petition: Stop hosting exclusivity for ARK: Survival Ascended
Unofficial server hosting will not be possible! Either server teams are not allowed to host servers, or they are forbidden to make money with the server license. As a result, servers can no longer be paid for, and server teams will work hours to end up financing the servers themselves. We have to stop this, sign the petition now.
https://www.change.org/p/stop-hosting-exclusivity-for-ark-survival-ascended

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ArkHeavy said:

Unofficial server hosting will not be possible! Either server teams are not allowed to host servers, or they are forbidden to make money with the server license. As a result, servers can no longer be paid for, and server teams will work hours to end up financing the servers themselves. We have to stop this, sign the petition now.

it's not about financial status. you can, in fact, ask for tips, using esclusive join AND ask money to cover server hosting. it's in eula. we cannot however running more than 1 server per machine and per account. and this also doesn't allow admins to tests stuffs quickly without having 2 machines and 2 licenses in 2 different steam accounts.

another bad point is asa server api is forbidden, which means less tools for admin, less deep integration of mods on server side.

beside an unofficial cluster we are running, I also used to play with a friend a small server as a better alternative than non-dedicated session: more settings, more freedom, better performance, this is also no longer possible.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ArkHeavy said:

Signed!

Definitely looking for some sort of self-hosted same-machine server get up. While I'm not totally opposed to paying for a server, I would prefer to run my own, easier to manage if I want to make special changes. I will likely pay for a server for a month and see what comes up about self-hosting on the same machine. I see people doing SteamCMD stuff, though I don't have much experience there. If someone here is experienced, could you link or post a guide on the ASA set up? Assuming it is working in such a short timeframe from the release.

45 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

It seems more like a boa constrictor around the neck of this game franchise.  I can't see this ending well.

Perhaps somebody has done the math and has figured out Snail can survive without the unofficial crowd, or maybe they're hoping enough of us will pay up anyway.

In any event, the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to buy ASA until we get something clear from WC on what private servers and clusters will look like. I can live with all sorts of game glitches (my kids and I have played Ark for years), but this is a deal-breaker for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just making sure I have this right:  I cannot run a dedicated ASA server on machine #2 and play on it from machine #1 without buying the game twice.  Can someone verify this for sure? 

Also, if that's true:  Can I run a server on machine #1 and play from machine #1 without buying a 2nd license?

Edited by MrGlass

This is why i have not bought ASA and will not buy it until they let more hosters host besides nitrido, They are way over priced and their customer service really is very bad. I have no idea why they are also not letting be host their own servers, other then to toss more money at nitrido for some stupid reason that i will not and can not be a part of at all. Why in the world would you only let one company host your game is beyond me and quite made tbh. Maybe all the other hosting companies should ban together and do something about wildcard/snail, what ever that might be. For that matter all the people that run privet servers as well. I say no one should buy the game until they give more answers to this stupid stun that they have pulled

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zero064 said:

Perhaps somebody has done the math and has figured out Snail can survive without the unofficial crowd, or maybe they're hoping enough of us will pay up anyway.

In any event, the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to buy ASA until we get something clear from WC on what private servers and clusters will look like. I can live with all sorts of game glitches (my kids and I have played Ark for years), but this is a deal-breaker for me.

unofficial servers are where the majority of the playerbase plays.  Screwing unofficial players and making them quit is very unwise. 

5 hours ago, zero064 said:

No, I completely get that I'll have to buy a copy for each map if I do this. Not happy about that at all, especially given all the money I've spent buying Ark for me and my kids over the years.

I'm not sure about the clusters. Again, some clarity from WC would go a long way here. If clusters are out, I'll be leaning heavily toward skipping ASA.

Vote with your dollars. There are a bunch of other survival games on the market now, it's not like things were when ARK was new. Support a company that doesn't screw its players over and over.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?