What is your first tame?

DurangoJuice

for me it depends on the map and what resources are available.  

if it's a map where i have ready access to rockarrots (like Ragnarok) then my first tame is always an Equus.  In the early game Equus are extremely useful.  with a decent level one you can tame all sorts of dinos, and you've got a decent ground mount for travel and carrying stuff.  you don't even need a saddle to ride them, but once you do have one it's also a morter/pestle.

if Rockarrots aren't readily available then it's generally not viable to wait until i have crops to grow them to tame an Equus.  so i just skip them.  taming something early is not really needed.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:45 PM, DurangoJuice said:

What's the dinosaur that everyone tames first when starting new? I think mine is either a parasaur or raptor

I tame the first useful dino that is in front of my eyes.

Typically my first priority is finding the location I want to start, run to that location, build a starter hut with a bed. Then I start taming anything and everything that's useful, don't ever make a point of focusing on something specific to start with.

• Like 1

My very very first tame was a dodo, I named him Dopey and I dont know HOW he died because I had no tribe log and I didnt see it, but he died after I died. At that time (July, 10, 2015) tames stood up aggressive and I didnt know that so he definitely died lol

My first DINO (tamed after Dopey) is a parasaur I tamed Beautiful Temptress cause her colors were so pretty. I still have her! 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

My very very first tame was a dodo, I named him Dopey and I dont know HOW he died because I had no tribe log and I didnt see it, but he died after I died. At that time (July, 10, 2015) tames stood up aggressive and I didnt know that so he definitely died lol

My first DINO (tamed after Dopey) is a parasaur I tamed Beautiful Temptress cause her colors were so pretty. I still have her! 

Parasaur for me. Named it "Already Dead".

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

When I played this game a lot, the 1st tame would generally be a Petra. Yeah that's slanted towards PVP, but it would be the answer for me. In PVE I am with @Cowgirl - What ever presents itself! 

Days gone by you HAD to have a berry harvester dino to tame almost anything. Right now I am willing to bet I can keep a Giga asleep just by picking berries by hand .......... (OK thtats an exaggeration - but no by much)

Edited by DirkInSA

When I start a new game, my first tame is always a Troodon...
Checking screenshots, first tame ever: A raft.
Then at lvl 70, I tamed a Dodo, soon to be followed by another Dodo, then a Baby Dodo came and then a Troodon... RIP
Later a Pteranodon I called Justice. I tamed it in front of hungry raptors but they couldnt reach it on the rock in the water it was laying on. Called it Justice because of something that had to do with a previous Ptera I tried to tame which got eaten by those same Raptors. I deserved a Pteranodon after all those struggles!

Edited by SunsetErosion

On ragnarok i have a nice starting routine, it starts with spawning at blue oby and leveling up a bit like to start getting a base going there where there is easy metal and upload download capacity, and the golden crates get me some nice tools. After that routine I'm high enough level to get my first tame which requires a certain amount of leveling you cant start and go get him at lvl one... so die respawn highlands, run up to my fav carrot patch, ....AND TAME MA HORSIE!!!