PeachSalad

On 6/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, Pipinghot said:

True, because that's not the page for dinos or resources.

you literally just directed me to the exact same place I started and results in the exact same page I screen shot. nothing to do with where players are on a map. it IS A CREATURE spawn map for THE ISLAND. and as the photo shows the MENU is broken

On 6/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, Pipinghot said:

True, because that's not the page for dinos or resources.

actually literally says spawn map and literally was clicked on from a page where the header says CREATURE spawn maps. choose the island.  or any other from the list. no data on resulting page. data meaning the menu for selecting dino locations on the map is missing. not sure how a creature spawn map isnt a creature spawn map.

image.png

On 6/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, AlbertoFlores said:

It is better to use the doddex since it is more updated, although it would be very good if the Ark wiki updated all its information 

dodo dex uses the old fandom maps. ark.wiki.gg is the newer and only official maps. just frustrating that whenever there is an update some of these data maps, including the creature spawn maps get broken. I thought it was me because Id refused cookies. was hoping anyone here was actually seeing the data, in which case Ive got some setting wrong still in my browser or the firewall. IDK. for me its been two months and Ive reported it 4 times. its done it before and miraculously will suddenly be fixed. I think what happens is these maps are maintained by NON employees and it only takes one mistaken buit of code for things to blow up. used to happen a lot with fandom as well. this I know, well having worked with, and coded my own stuff back in the day. literally can be just one little bitty thing out of whack.

• Volunteer Moderator
26 minutes ago, PeachSalad said:

dodo dex uses the old fandom maps. ark.wiki.gg is the newer and only official maps. just frustrating that whenever there is an update some of these data maps, including the creature spawn maps get broken. I thought it was me because Id refused cookies. was hoping anyone here was actually seeing the data, in which case Ive got some setting wrong still in my browser or the firewall. IDK. for me its been two months and Ive reported it 4 times. its done it before and miraculously will suddenly be fixed. I think what happens is these maps are maintained by NON employees and it only takes one mistaken buit of code for things to blow up. used to happen a lot with fandom as well. this I know, well having worked with, and coded my own stuff back in the day. literally can be just one little bitty thing out of whack.

Works fine here.

image.png

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:27 AM, PeachSalad said:

As arks official wiki no longer works, or at least doesnt work unless you give .gg and all their associates access to your habits and personal data, Im looking for alternatives. I know, run on long sentence.

and WC, either fix the wiki.gg or take the wiki to a website host that doesnt want to abuse your users privacy. PLEASE.

incognito/private mode, no cookie allowed, no login, map working. So please stop spreading food about wiki.gg spying to use the website.

wiki.gg.jpg

IF there was a platform ABUSING website visitors privacy was actually FANDOM and that's the reason the official wiki was moved to wiki.gg, as long with 99% of editors.

As for Dododex, the developer is working on an app update which will include also correct links etc. This update will also solve issues on last android versions where the greedy google that doesn't care at all about your privacy forces devs to update and target last bloated SDK even on fully working and solid apps.

PS: the only element blocked in that browser screenshot by ublock is actually google tag script that embeds in the website the website project id for analytics, without that allowed website owner doesn't even get the website usage stats.

PPS: using last version of firefox ESR with chrome.css to re-enable old gui, nothing more.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:27 AM, PeachSalad said:

As arks official wiki no longer works, or at least doesnt work unless you give .gg and all their associates access to your habits and personal data, Im looking for alternatives. I know, run on long sentence.

I use doddex, doesnt have everything
I use fandom, woefully outdated
and randomly google and see lots of other options. however, no idea where they get their data or if its up to date. so hopeing other players have recommends. please and thanks.

and WC, either fix the wiki.gg or take the wiki to a website host that doesnt want to abuse your users privacy. PLEASE.

BTW I, with an alternate account, tried giving gg the access it craves but the wiki still did not show spawn locations for dinos or resources.

wiki broken.jpg

that image tells me you did not click on the spawn map for island but rather assumed that the player spawn map on the island page

the creature spawn map can be found here: https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Spawn_Map/The_Island as pointerd out by joe pointed out above

also you were already told on this post

what exactly wiki.gg is accessing and its far less then any other wiki platform out there

feel free to continue using fandom and get your data and much more sold to everyone out there

you can see that fandom uses your info to serve you ads by google and other providers just by checking the ads displayed there

wiki gg only display generic ads for their own publisher (named freedom games)  and sometimes for games that have wikis on them (terraria had a ad campaign about their shop one time) but those ads are served for everyone logged out and not tailored to you like on other platforms 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, genie45 said:

that image tells me you did not click on the spawn map for island but rather assumed that the player spawn map on the island page

the creature spawn map can be found here: https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Spawn_Map/The_Island as pointerd out by joe pointed out above

also you were already told on this post

what exactly wiki.gg is accessing and its far less then any other wiki platform out there

feel free to continue using fandom and get your data and much more sold to everyone out there

you can see that fandom uses your info to serve you ads by google and other providers just by checking the ads displayed there

wiki gg only display generic ads for their own publisher (named freedom games)  and sometimes for games that have wikis on them (terraria had a ad campaign about their shop one time) but those ads are served for everyone logged out and not tailored to you like on other platforms 

Given the fact be brought this irritating topic means he is choosing to ignore most of the people here on the last thread.

Goes to show how much wood he gives a care about people proving him wrong.

Depressing.

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2023 at 4:49 PM, PeachSalad said:

you literally just directed me to the exact same place I started and results in the exact same page I screen shot. nothing to do with where players are on a map. it IS A CREATURE spawn map for THE ISLAND. and as the photo shows the MENU is broken

If there's a problem it only exists on your computer - on both of my my computers, and on the computers of other people in this thread, plus members of my tribe that I've asked, every link & menu works exactly how it's supposed to. This looks unique to you.

"Spawn_Locations" and "Spawn_Map" are two different things. Spawn_Locations is for characters, Spawn_Map is for creatures.

If you are going to "Creature Spawn Maps" > "The Island" and it's taking you to the "Spawn_Locations" page, that's not happening to other people, there's something wrong on your end.

1) The first page you showed in your original post is titled, "The Island/Spawn Locations"

https:// ark. wiki. gg / wiki / The_Island / Spawn_Locations

As already communicate to you by more than one person - That is the map for character spawn locations.

When I click on the down-arrow next to "Content" it shows a list of all the character spawn zones, which is exactly what it's supposed to show.

2) The second page you showed in your original post is titled, "Data Maps"

https:// ark. wiki. gg / wiki / Data_maps

This page contains multiple sections including:

a) Resource Maps

When I click on The Island it takes me to "Resource Map/The Island" just like it's supposed to.

https:// ark. wiki. gg / wiki / Resource_Map / The_Island

b) Explorer Maps

When I click on The Island it takes me to "Explorer Map/The Island", just like it's supposed to.

https:// ark. wiki. gg / wiki / Explorer_Map / The_Island

c) Creature Spawn Maps

When I click on The Island it takes me to "Spawn Map/The Island", just like it's supposed to.

https:// ark. wiki. gg / wiki / Spawn_Map / The_Island

If you click on "Creatures" you can type the name into the search box

image.png.f62ed8acb289cdcf904956d262595f21.png

image.png

Edited by Pipinghot

On 6/25/2023 at 6:27 PM, PeachSalad said:

As arks official wiki no longer works, or at least doesnt work unless you give .gg and all their associates access to your habits and personal data

As darkradeon has proved, that's not true.

On 6/25/2023 at 6:27 PM, PeachSalad said:

Im looking for alternatives

I use doddex, doesnt have everything
I use fandom, woefully outdated
and randomly google and see lots of other options. however, no idea where they get their data or if its up to date. so hopeing other players have recommends. please and thanks.

Now returning to your question:

Dododex is beautiful for some things, but it's not a wiki, it isn't supposed to be a wiki and was never intended to be a wiki. But for the information that Dododex intends to provide, it does a wonderful job.

Fandom was, and still is, much MUCH worse than wiki.gg regarding data collection and privacy. Even if they were current and up to date it would still be a horrible site. Fandom is a horror show unless you use script blocking and ad blocking. These are among the multiple reasons that the wiki left Fandom and migrated to wiki.gg.

Just about everything else on the web is out of date. There were lots of fan pages, calculators and other tools for ARK when it was new but people stopped maintaining them over time.

In summary: If you want a true wiki, there is no good alternative to wiki.gg.

23 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Works fine here.

image.png

THank you Joe. I see what the problem is (for me). See where the screen shot says "Drawn" that is where on Fandom it says "creature". and I did not realize the layout of the menu was different. and before anyone makes fun of me, yes I am sight impaired. and also I swear to all the dead gods that used to say "creature" as well when the wiki first came out. so YES I was crazy. lol but you just saved my sanity. thank you JOE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1