Community Crunch 366: Introducing Fasolasuchus!

StudioWildcard

5 minutes ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

Was the vote posted somewhere before this community crunch? In the last community crunch it said "voting open immediately" and so all week I kept watching for a new community crunch with the vote within as that's the only place I've ever seen the votes listed. I just saw this (and am not sure my vote is going through, it just seems to be stalling out without any confirmation that it went through?) and thus, if it ends Monday that's only 3 days for me to make sure to get my vote in. Which, I'm trying to vote right away...so long as it's actually taking it. There's some animals I've been dying to vote for in this and so have been ready to pounce to vote...but never saw it anywhere until now. For future reference: IS there somewhere else they are posted besides the community crunch? Should I be checking/voting there first?

Underneath the vote it has a spot that says click here, try that, it should take you to the "rigged" thied party website to vote. Just saying ranked vote is kind of bad, and someone's last choice can take precedence over their second, so... just saying

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

So Faso's just going to be a bigger Concavenator from Garuga's ARK ADDITIONS mod... Okay there's taking inspiration from some one and then there's just being lazy

I dont think they are being lazy they are taking inspiration from the concave its kind of hard to come up with a unique taming method for a sand swimmer, and they put a fun spin on it where you grab on and hold on for dear life and you have to run it into rocks.

Tameable Land Apex predators like this should ALL be map exclusive.  With the associated 3rd party maps having them with better level distribution.  Would make them more special, and possibly revitalize unpopular maps.

The Island / The Center: Giganotosaurus
Scorched Earth / Ragnarok: Fasolasuchus
Aberration / Valguero:  Reaper
Extinction / Crystal Isles: Carcharodontosaurus
Genesis Pt 1 / Lost Island: ???
Genesis Pt 2 / Fjordur: ???

• Facepalm 2

Another animal that will have as idiotic taming as carha?  Or maybe it will be stronger than the concert xD?  Functionality In the case of PVP, it is rather unknown what statistics it will obtain.  In the case of PVE, it is not known whether it is necessary and useful, as in the case of its predecessor.  But even if 100 new dinosaurs were added, it doesn't change the fact that we're not really interested in that at the moment.  Forgive me, but personally the graphics are not responsible for the functioning of the game and have no impact on its mechanics (well, maybe they will add more quick patches, because after the first dino release it will turn out that it was killed by dodo (for xD) or other bugs. That's why they are always  patches that fix dino How many updates after ASA release are you planning First release and playability updates Because players can't log in. Cross platform project what if one of the platforms currently can't connect to the servers due to some bug? Will you stop the game for this period  or give an advantage to those who are logged in and can steal bases ASA's level of security against player hacking What about these important aspects of the game Nothing concrete has been presented so far, only the concepts of Paint 4D xD And that's not even 1% of what  which can be an incentive for ASA. Currently, graphical information is less important than mechanics and bugs. Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of buying something I've bought in the past, and I certainly won't decide to buy ASA based on idiotic photos, since such details have already been  taken out, what next?  For me, it's a barrel of laughs wc/sg shows pictures and like children we swallow his image marketing, hoping that UE5 will be flawless, just in the wrong direction.  It's nice that they want to, but the graphics are not in the foreground in ARK.  We already know the graphics and we know that even ASE could have been done better.  After all, how can they be trusted that ASA will be as great as they say?  While players no longer trust them?  Maybe not many, because those who buy it or plan to buy it want to trust them once again.  ARK For me, my wife and many of my friends, it will end up in ASE.  LIVE YOUR ARTWORK if that's such an important aspect beyond mechanics and bugs.  Every vote is to let them know that the players here are talking and doing something else, it drives them and they still have us....... I'd rather hear that the X bug appearing in ASE has been eliminated but WC  /SG prefers to test the game by players right after the release for only $60, where after that we will be ignored again as before.

Seriously, graphic candies already have min impact.  Players would rather have a bite of ASA cake and see REAL and not conceptual gameplay xD

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Wildcard :

How about improving the top 10 selection for the creature submission ?

I mean, as there will be a lot of incoming creature submission, it could be great to have a better vote system. I will not list all the problems of the current system but there are a lot of them.

The best I can find is to make the vote results not visible and also not allow to vote for the first 2 days of the creature submission.

When half the top 10 are 5 of the 6 first published submission and the top 10 itself is decided in the first hours of the creature submission opening, the creature submission is more a race than a vote 😑

Aside from that, any TLC update planned ?

It's good to add creatures but some current creatures need a rework (Galliminus, ...).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOU123 said:

1. you do not play ark and i pity you.

2. everything that players need for pve and QOL is already in place you silly uneducated goofball.

3. the baboon does not even disable tek and nobody uses the bat for "night raids". this is how i know that you don't play ark, you extremely loony chimpanzee.

4. go back to league of legends.

You could just summarize your post by saying "I don't actually know what I'm doing in game and want to bite things with big carnivores". It's a lot simpler than spilling that gruel in text form where my eyes can see it.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

To be fair, even if they aren't beat for beat the same there's several creatures in game that are at least reasonably similar to their real world counterparts. Utahs (if you ignore the broken wrists), dire wolves, thylas, rhinos, bears, megalodons, sarcs, the list goes on. They'd do about what you'd expect the real things to do. Then they go balls to the wall and make things like araneos who spit silk (yes I know there's a species of spider that does this but at araneo's size they'd realistically just over power their prey and like modern bird spiders the sheer force of the bite and fang size would kill it before the venom had a chance to), deinonychus scaling sheer cliffs, and tropeos with the jaw power to grind hard objects to their base components. Wildcard's jumping the shark so hard it's kissing the stratosphere with some of their creatures.

I do agree that many of Ark's creatures are at least fairly similar to their real life counterparts, and there are certainly many that go absolutely crazy, but I think that is definitely to Ark's benefit! I think many creatures would begin to feel a bit redundant if we didn't have the wacky stuff.  

14 minutes ago, Shrekasaurus said:

I do agree that many of Ark's creatures are at least fairly similar to their real life counterparts, and there are certainly many that go absolutely crazy, but I think that is definitely to Ark's benefit! I think many creatures would begin to feel a bit redundant if we didn't have the wacky stuff.  

Whacky stuff's fun an all, but a splash of something more grounded every now and then wouldn't hurt

I can't believe there are still children trying to bring up the old PvP VS PvE dispute. Enjoy what you enjoy, it doesn't lesser your experience of the game if someone else plays a different mode. This is an 8yo argument, grow up already.

7 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

To be fair, even if they aren't beat for beat the same there's several creatures in game that are at least reasonably similar to their real world counterparts. Utahs (if you ignore the broken wrists), dire wolves, thylas, rhinos, bears, megalodons, sarcs, the list goes on. They'd do about what you'd expect the real things to do. Then they go balls to the wall and make things like araneos who spit silk (yes I know there's a species of spider that does this but at araneo's size they'd realistically just over power their prey and like modern bird spiders the sheer force of the bite and fang size would kill it before the venom had a chance to), deinonychus scaling sheer cliffs, and tropeos with the jaw power to grind hard objects to their base components. Wildcard's jumping the shark so hard it's kissing the stratosphere with some of their creatures.

There's a difference between physical accuracy (which historically Ark has always taken a creative licence with), and ability accuracy. I don't think there has ever been a crystal-harvesting Ankylosaurus IRL ! But obviously it's a game, so creatures need to be doing a variety of things (and if they do what another one already does, people simply don't use it). If they were all realistic in their abilities, all the carnivores would be meat farmers and all the herbivores would be berry farmers and we'd do everything else by hand. We'd have fewer reasons to tame most of them.
That's where the balance is to be found, imho. You could have an accurate creature visually that does crazy things with a laser-like barrier, or reads another creature's health chart, or turns into a catapult, and I'd be happy with it :) 

My only issue with the design of the Fasola so far (we haven't seen a 3D model afterall, and there's always a few adjustements at that stage) is that it doesn't really look like the creature we voted for. WildCard tells us "vote for the species, not the abilities"... and two weeks later we find they changed the visual concept of the species. Doesn't fully make sense.
...which leads me to :

2 hours ago, FentScifer said:

I mean, as there will be a lot of incoming creature submission, it could be great to have a better vote system. I will not list all the problems of the current system but there are a lot of them.

The best I can find is to make the vote results not visible and also not allow to vote for the first 2 days of the creature submission.

When half the top 10 are 5 of the 6 first published submission and the top 10 itself is decided in the first hours of the creature submission opening, the creature submission is more a race than a vote 😑

All excellent points. +1 to everything.
I didn't submit anything for Rag, so I have no Equus in this race this time around. But it's clear to me that if you're not one of the very first submissions posted AND you're not someone known in the community, you may just as well submit a picture of your cat. There needs to be a way to work around these inherent biases, and you listed a few of them (and it's not the first time people bring it up).
On top of that, it might be nice to have a cutoff date for submissions that is set a few days before the end of the votes ; WildCard could then post a recap (just the picture and the link to the thread would be more than enough imho) of all the creatures submitted in the shorter time frame, to all give them equal visibility before ending the votes a few days later.
This time around I found amazing and/or original submissions that had zero chance of getting into the Top10 because noone knew they even existed...

Also I still think that WildCard should allow us to vote on one of the abilities/attacks that a creature ends up with. My proposed process : once a creature is "elected", WildCard would show us the concept art for it once it's ready, and go : "so this creature will do this for the main ability, that for the alternative ability, and you tell us what else it should do : A, B, C or D ?". That way they would keep their control over the balance and implementation, but we would have a say in abilities of "our" community creature.
It would make easier to separate the creature from the ability. So many submitters have great ability ideas to choose from, and it's hard not to be influenced by them when voting on a creature. Almost nobody exclusively looks at the picture provided, everyone has opinions about abilities.
...If only because we almost all have abilities we'd like to see in the game, regardless of which creature carries them (for instance I'm very pro-tracking preys that are awake ! and it doesn't matter to me if a Notho or a Majunga or a Miracino has that skill).

EDIT :

4 hours ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

Was the vote posted somewhere before this community crunch? 

Yes, on Twitter.

Edited by ladyteruki
  • Like 2

Creature voting is broken. 

Still have to use the saveworld command every time I want to log off or enter a cave on single player or non-dedicated on playstation because of the constant crashes.

Leaving your current product a mess like this doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the quality of upcoming projects.  What have all of the patches claiming to fix crashing issues actually been doing?  I haven't noticed a difference.  If anything the game is worse off now than a year ago.  (Tinfoil hat time: Intentional sabotage to get people to buy ASA???)

The PC-master-race-with-lots-of-free-time-and-disposable-income crowd is probably tired of hearing from me, a working class console peasant with a family, but fixing the crashing on ASE and allowing PS5 players to adjust the tether range on non-dedicated servers will be a huge factor in my decision to spend more money on ASE and future products.  

My wife and friends I play with all agree that we want to buy the paid dlc maps, but not if we are still dealing with crashing and playing on a short leash the way that otherwise works best for us.

P.S.

The dire otter is my favorite, with the ox being a close second.

Edited by RADAR4077

7 hours ago, ladyteruki said:

I can't believe there are still children trying to bring up the old PvP VS PvE dispute. Enjoy what you enjoy, it doesn't lesser your experience of the game if someone else plays a different mode. This is an 8yo argument, grow up already.

There's a difference between physical accuracy (which historically Ark has always taken a creative licence with), and ability accuracy. I don't think there has ever been a crystal-harvesting Ankylosaurus IRL ! But obviously it's a game, so creatures need to be doing a variety of things (and if they do what another one already does, people simply don't use it). If they were all realistic in their abilities, all the carnivores would be meat farmers and all the herbivores would be berry farmers and we'd do everything else by hand. We'd have fewer reasons to tame most of them.
That's where the balance is to be found, imho. You could have an accurate creature visually that does crazy things with a laser-like barrier, or reads another creature's health chart, or turns into a catapult, and I'd be happy with it :) 

My only issue with the design of the Fasola so far (we haven't seen a 3D model afterall, and there's always a few adjustements at that stage) is that it doesn't really look like the creature we voted for. WildCard tells us "vote for the species, not the abilities"... and two weeks later we find they changed the visual concept of the species. Doesn't fully make sense.
...which leads me to :

All excellent points. +1 to everything.
I didn't submit anything for Rag, so I have no Equus in this race this time around. But it's clear to me that if you're not one of the very first submissions posted AND you're not someone known in the community, you may just as well submit a picture of your cat. There needs to be a way to work around these inherent biases, and you listed a few of them (and it's not the first time people bring it up).
On top of that, it might be nice to have a cutoff date for submissions that is set a few days before the end of the votes ; WildCard could then post a recap (just the picture and the link to the thread would be more than enough imho) of all the creatures submitted in the shorter time frame, to all give them equal visibility before ending the votes a few days later.
This time around I found amazing and/or original submissions that had zero chance of getting into the Top10 because noone knew they even existed...

Also I still think that WildCard should allow us to vote on one of the abilities/attacks that a creature ends up with. My proposed process : once a creature is "elected", WildCard would show us the concept art for it once it's ready, and go : "so this creature will do this for the main ability, that for the alternative ability, and you tell us what else it should do : A, B, C or D ?". That way they would keep their control over the balance and implementation, but we would have a say in abilities of "our" community creature.
It would make easier to separate the creature from the ability. So many submitters have great ability ideas to choose from, and it's hard not to be influenced by them when voting on a creature. Almost nobody exclusively looks at the picture provided, everyone has opinions about abilities.
...If only because we almost all have abilities we'd like to see in the game, regardless of which creature carries them (for instance I'm very pro-tracking preys that are awake ! and it doesn't matter to me if a Notho or a Majunga or a Miracino has that skill).

EDIT :

Yes, on Twitter.

Even still it just gets a bit over the top for my tastes at some point. I could see an ankylosaurid being able to break open types of rock with a good thump of its tail. Maybe not anything containing a metal that isn't soft or brittle in composition, but it'd be feasible if they did it as a threat display, territory marker, or to show off fitness for mating rights. My primary gripe is more just how each time things get a little more crazy. Sorta sets a precedent where people will stop being wowed by just having a dinosaur and just want something crazy because everything new is some cracked super dinosaur that can do stuff like what rhynio can. Leaves the paleobiology crowd in an awkward position y'know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Even still it just gets a bit over the top for my tastes at some point. I could see an ankylosaurid being able to break open types of rock with a good thump of its tail. Maybe not anything containing a metal that isn't soft or brittle in composition, but it'd be feasible if they did it as a threat display, territory marker, or to show off fitness for mating rights. My primary gripe is more just how each time things get a little more crazy. Sorta sets a precedent where people will stop being wowed by just having a dinosaur and just want something crazy because everything new is some cracked super dinosaur that can do stuff like what rhynio can. Leaves the paleobiology crowd in an awkward position y'know?

I'll be honest, I'm not fully convinced the purist paleobiology crowd are ever gonna get that kind of fix from a sci-fi dinosaur game. If you want a dinosaur that behaves strictly like a dinosaur probably did, the ideal game for you is most likely The Isle (which I imagine you have tried :P ), not Ark. Doesn't mean you're not welcome in Ark ! But clearly the goal is to be "out there", these are dinosaurs in space...
The behaviors you describe... are not those found for the Anky at the moment in the game. I took the Anky as an example on purpose because it's a basegame creature ; and it's already too out there for you, it looks like. Even if it got a TLC for ASA, I don't think the Anky would get this TLC and behave that way in ASA. Creatures in Ark don't have threat display (they either attack or they don't), territory markers, or mating rituals. It's just not that game. It could be cool if some of these things were added... just not at the expense of the game it already is. And don't forget, creatures' abilities are to be used, not just looked at and collected ; if I have to mark my Anky's territory in order to farm a couple of nodes of obsidian, it makes grinding even more of a chore than it sometimes already is. At the end of the day, people need to farm their crystal, and metal, in order to build their bases, craft their turrets, and so on. That's the game Ark is... at least until ARK2 comes out sometime in 2045 and maybe shakes things up.

But I do understand part of the concern, don't get me wrong.
The by-product of people very often giving priority to carnivores in this community is that WildCard feels the need to up the ante. Carnivores, unless you decide (like the proposed Majunga or Miracino for instance) to make them relatively weak, and be more utility tames, are creatures that at this point will always try to overdo some of the existing ones. Hence why people have also been trying to promote herbivores and omnivores, who are expected to introduce different abilities and hopefully be less OP.
That said, I think some unrealistic abilities, though not biologically accurate, could be toned down for a future creature or two. As an example, I'd be more than game for a creature that harvests decent amounts of Organic polymer and turns Organic polymer into solid Polymer. Or a creature that's a living trough. Or a creature that acts as a portable bed without any timer. Would these be a realistic ability ? Likely not (...although I'm no paleobiologist :P ), but it would serve a purpose in gameplay, wouldn't be redundant with existing creatures (because at this point, why tame the new creature when I already have a dino at base that does the same thing...), and would avoid being some sort of flying-Giga-destroyer-that-can-carry-Rexes-and-kill-Deathworms ! :D ...with the most annoying taming method on top of it.

There is a middle ground to be found, for sure :) 

• Like 1