Community Crunch 360: Community Creature Vote Reveal, ASA Comparison, and More!

StudioWildcard

10 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

We need to vote on abilities too. Or at least ONE of the abilities among several. Based on submissions once the creature is elected, ideally.
So that it forces any new community creature, even if it's yet another carnivore, to be more interesting than "it kills Gigas" or "it farms more meat than that other creature that farms meat" or "it does bossfights". We already have creatures that do that. Plenty.

Tell that to the people who keep asking for more carnivores. they claim its for "More variety in creatures", but no... we know their game, the just want yet another dumb toothy thing to beat down other big toothy things. If they wanted variety, not only would we likely never had gotten carcha but we would have had some herbivore winners in the past. So again I say, ban carnivore/omnivore submissions next vote... if it don't eat leaves, roots, vegies, or fruits, it can't participate.

Edited by TyranntX

2 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

Tell that to the people who keep asking for more carnivores. they claim its for "More variety in creatures", but not... we know their game, the just want yet another dumb toothy thing to beat down other big toothy things. If they wanted variety, not only would we likely never had gotten carcha but we would have had some herbivore winners in the past. So again I say, ban carnivore/omnivore submissions next vote... if it don't eat leaves, roots, vegies, or fruits, it can't participate.

Hey you don't have to tell me, the Moa was at the top of my list and I suggested a herbivore :P

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

Which Is why I suggest WC just flat out ban carnivore submissions for all remaining votes. because at this point it's the only way we'll get ANYTHING new and interesting.

Realistically it'd be infeasible given the sheer amount of people that would go cherry flavored ape sh!t over it. Speaking of apes, ironically we would've had less carnivorous creatures had wildcard not inexplicably made dinopithecus a carnivore rather than an omnivore. In that same vein (pardon the pun) had they made desmodus purely hematophagous rather than able to eat meat that's technically also trimming down the meat eater roster

Edited by CosmicSkeleton
  • Like 2

thought we were supposed to get a cheeta as per a prior vote from earlier this year? As for trees, Id Like to see some of ECOs nature mods etc get put into ascended as standard. TBH ASE has always been TOO BARE bones when it comes to allowing players to be more creative with our bases/homes and or allow for any kind of individuality. so really, wanna remaster? thats fine just ADD some stuff too. dont be like warcraft and just remodel existing and call it new in the next chapter. that why I quit WOW it never ever changed the basics. just altered the skin. Hoping for so much more from Ascended. Looking forward to the next peek. hoping its an addition not a reskin.

Fasolasuchus like a thorny dragon with feathers instead of thorns? mmkay

3 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Realistically it'd be infeasible given the sheer amount of people that would go cherry flavored ape sh!t over it. 

Tough love my guy, we had well over 100 carnivores even before the first creature vote, and hardly any herbivores since then. Hell all the new creatures of Fjordur were NOT hervivores! We have enough predators, we really don't need more.

4 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

In game? All mine ever seem to eat is meat.

besides given how easier it is for an animal to hunt instead of forage is there any really difference between Omnivore and Carnivore? maybe in ASA we could see some more subtle benefits to a balanced and mixed diet for all "omnivores" but at the moment, there really doesn't feel like there is any difference.

Edited by TyranntX

3 minutes ago, PeachSalad said:

TBH ASE has always been TOO BARE bones when it comes to allowing players to be more creative with our bases/homes and or allow for any kind of individuality. so really, wanna remaster? thats fine just ADD some stuff too.

See, that would be assets I'd be less mad at seeing in the upcoming Community Crunches. They already announced some additional building assets (although not a new building tier per se, but it's a start), seeing something NEW instead of just something we already know is in the game would at least feel a tiny bit better.

Builders have really gotten the short end of the stick in Ark so far. No new building tier since the initial release of ASE Scorched Earth, that stung, man. And some existing building tiers don't even have a full set (my kingdom for a greenhouse glass dino gate or column !) either. It's all practicality and the building community thrived DESPITE it, certainly not thanks to it. I sure would want ASA and its great new performance capabilities to expand things for us in that regard too. I'm with you on this.

1 minute ago, TyranntX said:

Tough love my guy, we had well over 100 carnivores even before the first creature vote, and hardly any herbivores since then. Hell all the new creatures of Fjordur were NOT hervivores! We have enough predators, we really don't need more.

Oh don't mistake my statement as me being happy about the constant carnivores, frankly its goofy how skewed the in game biodiversity is. With how many carnivores there are compared to herbivores and how little use most of the herbivores actually have the game desperately needs to change things up a bit. An idea I'd always had rattling around in my head was making harvestable vegetation in the sea and implementing something like protostega to feed on it (also maybe make it immune to Cnidaria/able to harvest their toxins since modern sea turtles will munch on jellies).

27 minutes ago, justinwtx said:

why wouldnt there be a EVO event? i swear these devs wear helments and are slow. THE GAME IS ENDING. smh.

Right, it's baffling. Morale is in the toilet, hardly anyone has motivation to play, servers closing soon so zero reason not to have evo weekends. Might as well just put rates on x3 permanently at this point, it will all be gone soon anyway and at least we can sort of enjoy the limited time we have left.

• Thanks 2

I think most people don't care so much about the updated foliage, and it might just be because I'm an artist/developer, but I'm pretty happy they're updating the old plants. There's a very noticeable difference in quality between old foliage and new foliage, especially on Lost Island and Gen2- going from those maps to The Island or The Center is like going back in time, graphically. It's irked me for a while so I'm actually glad they fixed it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maxolotl said:

I think most people don't care so much about the updated foliage, and it might just be because I'm an artist/developer, but I'm pretty happy they're updating the old plants. There's a very noticeable difference in quality between old foliage and new foliage, especially on Lost Island and Gen2- going from those maps to The Island or The Center is like going back in time, graphically. It's irked me for a while so I'm actually glad they fixed it.

I like the new tree too, it actually LOOKS like a tree! and not a lizard's foot growing out of some lettuce like the UE4 tree

• Like 3

While I am a bit annoyed that a carnivore won the vote (i mean can you really call Desmodus a carnivore when it drinks blood, and i don't count Deinopithecus as it's an omnivore), it'll be interesting to see what this early croc ancestor can do in the actual game, but maybe when a vote for Abberation happens, a herbivore can win this time cause it would be nice to see a herbivore like the Giant Moa, Shunosaurus, Hexaprotodon (an ancient hippo), Edmontosaurus, Dracorex or even Sauropelta win

Edited by Bulborb87

51 minutes ago, Helianthus said:

Great. Another big thing that bites. We could have had breeding / taming assistants, or something completely unique, but instead we get...this.

Oh well. Hopefully WildCard does something cool with it.

Almost feel discouraged for the next creature vote. What is the point if people are just going to vote for yet another end-game carnivore / meme that will be irrelevant a month or two after it releases? Do my ideas even matter on this site?

Not really 😬

It was announced that in ASA VERY much profound is changed.

I'm also curious how the new characters look and what you could then set everything so.

When I look at the loot drop and the tree so.
Hats off.
WC has really undertaken a lot.
If they change so much in the graphics, what will probably be changed in the game itself.
I hope that animals can also feed themselves, provided they stand at things that represent food for them.

Now most of the animals starve to death, even if they stand next to eatable corpses/bushes.

Also I hope that there would be another harvest source for straw than trees.
Here in Germany it is so that straw are the stalks of different cereals.

When you play slower, you also learn the benefits of herbivores.

24 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

besides given how easier it is for an animal to hunt instead of forage is there any really difference between Omnivore and Carnivore? maybe in ASA we could see some more subtle benefits to a balanced and mixed diet for all "omnivores" but at the moment, there really doesn't feel like there is any difference.

Well I assume initially it was supposed to ease burdens of feeding in game by allowing creatures multiple options for both feeding and harvesting. Say if you had a dire bear to feed along with, I dunno, a thyla and a stegosaurus. You could either meat run and berry harvest at different times OR use the bear for both. Why they didn't expand on that is beyond me.