PVP Home damage, C'mon...

Badunkadunk76

Started a few days ago and have had my homes blown through and cleaned out 3 times now.

The game is cool, and PvP dangers out in the world add to the world's threat, but this allowing players to just knock down a wall and clean out countless hours or days of work is just unnecessary grief.

Killed the game for me.

I hear that unofficial servers have the ability to change things of the game, are there servers that someone protect the homes?
Alternatively, in the PVE worlds, is home looting still a thing?

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Badunkadunk76 said:

Started a few days ago and have had my homes blown through and cleaned out 3 times now.

The game is cool, and PvP dangers out in the world add to the world's threat, but this allowing players to just knock down a wall and clean out countless hours or days of work is just unnecessary grief.

This is the very definition of Ark PvP.

9 minutes ago, Badunkadunk76 said:

are there servers that someone protect the homes?

There are servers that do all manner of things. Might even be a few like this but, the point of the PvP in Ark is to raid other peoples stuff.

10 minutes ago, Badunkadunk76 said:

Nope. You can't hurt or touch other people or thier stuff. With a few caveats.

3 hours ago, Badunkadunk76 said:

Killed the game for me.

I hear that unofficial servers have the ability to change things of the game, are there servers that someone protect the homes?

Yes, currently on extinction THere are tribes freezing corrupted gigas, then flying them to other tribes bases to wreak havoc on them and steal all their hard work.  There is only PVP and PVP at this point on that particular map.

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

In a way it is. 

PvP constant loss

PvE no real challenge

PVE - challenge on extinction is trying to figure out if you grab the bags from your storages that were being looted in front of your face, or get out a giga to defend against the corrupted giga the other tribes froze then brought over to your base with a skiff... and then realizing you have no idea how to record video of the said encounter and WC acting ignorant that it's a problem.

4 hours ago, Badunkadunk76 said:

Wow pretty much all of that is over my head GrumpyBear as I am new.

But are you saying that PVP is particularly "bad" on Evolution and not on other modes?

Hes saying on the extinction map there are a different set of problems as compared to other maps as there are whats called corrupted dinos on extinction which cant be tamed and are very aggressive towards structures in particular and take heavily reduced damage from base defenses such as turrets. So people like to get wild corrupted dinos to destroy peoples bases and steal their stuff. On PVP people generally need to tame or breed their own dinos or make c4/grenades/rockets to break into peoples bases.

So what he is getting at is that on extinction even on a PVE server, with these corrupted dinos people have ways of destroying your base and getting your stuff without it actually being a PVP server so essentially that map has issues being a true PVE experience. There have been multiple patches to try to fix that issue on that map but it seems to continue to be a problem for some pver's.

I dont know what map you are on but I dont get the idea that your on extinction any way so this stuff probably doesnt apply to you. In general if you are going to play PVP you kinda need to have the mentality that nothing lasts forever, its all replaceable and it will all be destroyed or stolen eventually. Its just a matter of time. If you are going to log out you either need to have your base in a very hidden location or you need many turrets and lots of ammo in them to keep people from easily getting into your base. Even then, with enough time they will get in anyway. Best thing I could recommend is to watch some pvp youtubers to get a feel for the tactics that people use for defense and offense.

Way more options on ark pc but if on xbox you can search for non dedicated servers. Cheers, hope you find one. 

Trust me there are plenty of us out there that cant stay on 24/7 but love the pvp aspect. They honestly just need to go the old uo route and have a safe zone with a bank so you can keep x amount of items safe and everything else is fair game. They'd have a way bigger player base on pvp if it wasnt for that. 

Pve is the worst becaus those noobs build every 2 feet, good luck finding a spot to build lol. I just like pvp more because the servers are way less cluttered with unnecessary structure.

I would also recommend crossark. That is just one of each map in a cluster and they tend to be way more chill.  All you have to do is normally troll proof your base and if the alphas are fine with you, you'll be good to go

20 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

In a way it is. 

PvP constant loss

PvE no real challenge

This sums it up pretty nicely.

In PvP, there seems like two experiences: you are either in a big tribe or you are living in between two rocks with a smithy and a petra, hoping that a tribe doesn't find you.  Spoiler alert: 123 on his mana will find you, clean you out and you start again.

In PvE, there is fun and challenge when you are just starting out, working your way surviving, setting up a base and getting mid level tames.  Once you get to a certain point, the risk disappears for the most part and the game becomes whatever you want to make of it: breeding, trading, boss fights, etc.

I hear that non-official servers can offer some really great experiences, but I have yet to take the leap.  I would like for Ark to be a game with challenge, risk and reward, but be able to play it for a reasonable number of hours per week so that I can also make a living and have a family in real life and still be competitive in the game.  I have felt far too many times the crushing defeat of grinding, building and taming to have it all gone when I log in and everything has been wiped out.  I learned that I was playing the game all wrong, and wasn't interested in living in between two rocks hiding.

PvE is easy and PvP is unforgiving.  Imagine if ark played like the many of the nicely made official trailers that WC released to show off upcoming content:  I never saw a trailer where 123 on his mana throttles through the walls of some sleeping player's base, cleans them out and slaughters their tames just for kicks.  I don't fault WC for not delivering a game that plays like the trailers: I just think that gameplay evolved (devolved) to the state that it is in because a lot of people are opportunists.  The people that play with class and honor get overshadowed by the people that will use every exploit possible to crush you.

So to sum it all up: Either divorce your mind from the idea of owning land in pvp. Or accept that your base will periodically get foundation wiped. Or join an alpha tribe, which means being subjected to certain expectations like mining a certain amount of resources. Or become a nomad constantly trying to build small bases that are well hidden, but also accept that that will be destroyed eventually. There's one more possibility... If you can get a few people together and start a mediocre sub alpha tribe, and try to defend a cave or something, that can be kinda fun for a while. But even medium tribes and alpha tribes eventually get wiped no matter how good they are because of cheaters.

Regrettably there is no way WC can patch it to make newbie bases safe without some players finding a way to exploit it. This was better before cryo pods were a thing, where people had to download their dinos onto a server, and they were stuck there for (I think it was) 24 hours. It made people be very careful about when / where they griefed, 'cause they would most likely lose a dino and if it got killed they would have their home address discovered. Giving the same treatment to filled cryo pods (where they can't be re-uploaded in a certain time frame) would help solve the problem

On 2/4/2021 at 8:02 PM, Badunkadunk76 said:

Boy coming into the game blind it sure doesn't read like that.

With the breadth of content (architecture, farming, breeding, lore etc.) the way you describe it makes it sound very one-dimensional. Seems like a shame.

This is pretty much how all "Survival Games" work. If you see a game that calls itself a survival game then be prepared for PvP to be based on losing things completely, very different from PvP in standard RPG's.

Having said that, there are many ways to play ARK - Official, Unofficial, PvP, PvE, local/host, a large variety of mods for Unofficial servers and local games. There is pretty much a game mode for almost every taste and preference. You may have to play it on a few different types of servers to find the game mode that suits you.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Pipinghot said:

This is pretty much how all "Survival Games" work. If you see a game that calls itself a survival game then be prepared for PvP to be based on losing things completely, very different from PvP in standard RPG's.

Having said that, there are many ways to play ARK - Official, Unofficial, PvP, PvE, local/host, a large variety of mods for Unofficial servers and local games. There is pretty much a game mode for almost every taste and preference. You may have to play it on a few different types of servers to find the game mode that suits you.

While this is true, we all share the same bugs. Close knit family.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

In a way it is. 

PvP constant loss

PvE no real challenge

no real challenge? man how did I not realise it was no real challenge when an alpha raptor, an alpha carno, another alpha raptor and and an alpha rex spawned near my base. What a noob I am not realising I can easily take them all out with my journeyman crossbow and no tames, with no real challenge. PVE is sooooo easy it's insane, like one minute you lose all your gear in a travel up the mountains and then the next minute you get spawn camped by pack animals that are all high level.

Come on JoeBl0w13 there are challenges in PVE, it's just that the constant threat of alpha tribes in PVP makes the threats look so small when in reality they aren't, it's just that they're not the type of threat that completely controls the whole server.

sorry about this, this isn't even relevant to the main topic but as a PVE player dealing with constant loss of gear due to high level creatures (maybe I'm just a noob who doesn't play the game right)I don't like when people call it "no real challenge" you know?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, thedrongoofark said:

an alpha carno, another alpha raptor and and an alpha rex spawned near my base

This happens all the time. You just kite them away from your base while you're a young'un. Then wipe them up once you have a decent dino. Easy.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, thedrongoofark said:

also do you realise how fast alphas are? as soon as they detect me I make it about 3 meters before they eat me 

That's what they do. If you can't kill them, you kite them away from you or towards something/someone that can kill them.

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There's only a few challengers in PvE until you have a few good tames (takes a week at best). Then it's Hello Kittie Breeding Simulator.

fair enough but I'm apparently not good at the game so that'll take a while. Also having good tames sounds really boring if you can just destroy like everything, I personally like the challenge of dying like every 30 min randomly

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

That's what they do. If you can't kill them, you kite them away from you or towards something/someone that can kill them.

I thought nothing attacks the alphas so when you mean something you mean...?

I play on an unofficial server with a few friends who are all as meh as me at the game so not much firepower

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, thedrongoofark said:

I thought nothing attacks the alphas so when you mean something you mean...?

Nothing will attack them but the will follow you anywhere you lead them. Into the river, the ocean, between two rocks.... a place you can lay into them while they sit there like morons and you attack them.

Archived