Troodons dying while taming

8xInfinity

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try taming a troodon that I picked up today. I dropped the troodon into a taming pen on a motorboat parked in shallow water and dropped some cryosick carnos in, one at a time. Nothing happened. I made sure none were on passive and the troodon definitely got the kills, but there was nothing to indicate taming at all. Then it stopped taking my sacrifices. Then it just died. Like, it started to look really bloodied up for no reason and then keeled over. It happened within a really short period of time and the troodon never acted like it was distressed or being attacked. I was annoyed by this and spawned in a new troodon to experiment with. Exact same results -- troodon took one or two sacrificial dinos, then ignored my offerings, then started to look battered before dying.

I thought the first time had to be a fluke, but I watched carefully as the second one died and there were no glitches or problems. The troodon was just pacing around the pen and then was dead. I'm pretty mystified.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

2 hours ago, 8xInfinity said:

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try taming a troodon that I picked up today. I dropped the troodon into a taming pen on a motorboat parked in shallow water and dropped some cryosick carnos in, one at a time. Nothing happened. I made sure none were on passive and the troodon definitely got the kills, but there was nothing to indicate taming at all. Then it stopped taking my sacrifices. Then it just died. Like, it started to look really bloodied up for no reason and then keeled over. It happened within a really short period of time and the troodon never acted like it was distressed or being attacked. I was annoyed by this and spawned in a new troodon to experiment with. Exact same results -- troodon took one or two sacrificial dinos, then ignored my offerings, then started to look battered before dying. I thought the first time had to be a fluke, but I watched carefully as the second one died and there were no glitches or problems. The troodon was just pacing around the pen and then was dead. I'm pretty mystified. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

troodons are a bit of a pain.....did you try doing it out in the open instead of in a pen? Maybe its got to be out and free range like a titano.....also, maybe make the dino's eat rare flowers to entice it?

2 hours ago, 8xInfinity said:

and dropped some cryosick carnos in, one at a time.

The last time I tamed a troodon was before cryopods existed so... are you sure that cryosick dinos are safe for troodon taming? It seems to me that using cryosick animals would make troodon taming way too easy and that WildCard would have included a game mechanic to prevent that from working. I'm just speculating, of course, so I could be off target, but have you confirmed that it's a safe method?

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

are you sure that cryosick dinos are safe for troodon taming?

I used cryosick baby wyverns to tame troodons before they removed the cryosickness on official pve, it was an extremely easy way to tame them and completely viable. So I don't think the cryosickness is causing the issue

Does it show up on the taming hud at all after you dropped in a carno? It sounds like you are on singleplayer or a private server, so I’m wondering if you have food consumption rates adjusted at all? Troodon will bug out sometimes and aggro onto you instead of your sacrifices and perhaps it starved once it stopped attacking?

23 hours ago, carbonark said:

Does it show up on the taming hud at all after you dropped in a carno? It sounds like you are on singleplayer or a private server, so I’m wondering if you have food consumption rates adjusted at all? Troodon will bug out sometimes and aggro onto you instead of your sacrifices and perhaps it starved once it stopped attacking?

That would be my guess. We had a similar bug when the Mesopithecus was introduced to the game. Once it got spooked and ran away, its food drained super quick and it just died within seconds. Nobody could explain for quite a while back in these days. "Did it die to a heart-attack?" was a very common question... 😄 

trodon taming
take trodon, put trodon in pen 
chose any fresh baby for sacriface. gigas is best(biger level= more xp for trodon). your dino must be set attack target !!!. (if your dino is passive trodon dont obtain taming.) 
now wait to Night after trodon eyes start lighting put you baby dino in pen and wait after trodon kill him. repeat this until trodon is tamed.
if trodon start fleeing and dont attack your baby dino

1 you have small pen or,

2 take trodon fly away with him  after pen unrender and go back and put trodon in pen

I tame 4 trodons 1 month+ back withouth any problem  as dino i use fresh baby gigas near lvl 300.

Archived