Baryonx mass taming tips.

wizdawizard66

Hi. Me and my brother run a split screen world on valguero. Right now, we are at the stage when we need lots of black and silica pearls, so we need baryonx to dive down. However, the swamp is the best place to do this, and there is chaos in the swamp. Any tips for getting them out of there??? I need a lot because I want to get mutations at some point. 

Should be pretty simple:

1) Build a taming pen in a safe place nearby with an open top.

2) Get on your Argy and pluck the Baryonyx out of the swamp.

3) Drop it in the taming pen and knock it out.

If that's not an option, you could always try to aggro it with a few arrows and draw it out of the melee, then bola it. Could be dangerous if you're not prepared for swamp creatures though. Have a good shotgun and good armor.

I like using a raft with a taming pen up front and a secure platform in back (if I don't have an argy).  The taming pen works well if the ramp to the pen extends off the front of the raft.  You can build a small tower behind the rudder with a ladder to the top.  Simply find a bary and drive close to it.  climb up the tower and shoot it from there.  It should aggro and run up the ramp and into the pen.  You can then drive the raft to a safer location to knock out and tame. Just make sure your tower is tall enough to keep those stupid jumping gators from getting you. lol.

The raft does not need to be elaborate for this if you need one quickly.  But having said that, zero064 had the simpler idea with the argy.

Oh yeah. About the argy method, for some reason, I can't pickup any creatures with my argy. I dont know what did this. When was the last time you tamed a bary? Because I suspect they nerfed the argy. Put like what penguin said, should I get multiple rafts and sail them into the swamp and have a bunch of baryonx in a bunch of ramp traps? Because I understand what you are talking about, penguin. I used that method to tame a theri once. If you read this before, I meant "can't pickup anything"

Leave the swamp and find the main river in the aberration biome. You'll get your baryo breeders in no time there. It's probably the best place to find baryo breeders in all ark.

And if you want to be very efficient, tame a karkinos first, this way you can do "double baryonyx taming" without a single pen and without a single spike wall.

The only "difficulty" here is to grab the baryos before they get engaged by the spinos.

You'll see, this river is a taming paradise...Have fun !

I'm not roro, but there's multiple entrances to the aberration cave on Valguero. My favorite entrance is the one at 38 57. Be careful, you can't use bolas down there, and there's nasty ravagers! The crabs can also pull you off your tame in the water area, so make sure you do your research before going down there! 

As for taming baryonyx, you can either make sure your world is set to pvp so you can pick up wild dinos or build a 2x2 stone taming pen and lure them in with your meaty body hah

Those are the safest ways the get the bary. 

You may want to actually look into taming an angler for the silica pearls too! A good one is tanky enough and with some points into movement speed you can dash around using him to harvest the silica, and you can jump off and grab the black pearls yourself

Hope this helps! 

22 hours ago, wizdawizard66 said:

Hi. Me and my brother run a split screen world on valguero. Right now, we are at the stage when we need lots of black and silica pearls, so we need baryonx to dive down. However, the swamp is the best place to do this, and there is chaos in the swamp. Any tips for getting them out of there??? I need a lot because I want to get mutations at some point.

In general terms, taming pens are the solution to (most) taming problems, this is especially true with carnivores.

It's really easy to kite (almost all) carnivores into taming pens by using a flyer and carrying a small herbivore in your claws. Then just fly over the carnivore's head, just high enough that it can't reach your cargo, and it will follow you anywhere you want to go. As you travel towards your taming pen they will sometimes get distracted by nearby prey, they are carnivores after all, but if you're even a little patient you can get them to start following you again as soon as they kill whatever they're fighting.

With most herbivores (and a couple of carnivores, like yutyrannus) you have to aggro them and then get them to chase you into the pen. A taming pen with ramps is great because they run up the ramp and then fall into the pen. The size and height of the taming pen will depend on the size of the animal you're trying to tame, so either adjust the size and height of your pen based on the species you're trying to tame, or just make it big enough that you can lure anything that you want in to it. Of course a bigger pen can make it hard to tame smaller animals because they run around so much, a pen that's good for a bronto might not be good for a bary. :)

Taming pens on rafts give you the ability to take your show on the road and tame animals over a wide are of the map, but if you find a good location on the map you can build a full taming complex with different size pens connected via hallways and rooms, even a room for your flyers high enough off the ground to keep them safe. Taming rafts give you flexibility about your location, but taming pens give you more dependability and less risk of losing things (including the raft).

15 hours ago, wizdawizard66 said:

Oh yeah. About the argy method, for some reason, I can't pickup any creatures with my argy.

Either you're no a PvE server or you accidentally set your game to PvE settings. This is one of the differences between PvP and PvE, you can't carry wild animals in PvE.

When was the last time you tamed a bary? Because I suspect they nerfed the argy.

For me, personally, I did it less than two months ago.

Also, Dododex still says that argy's can carry bary's, so they didn't change that in the last patch.

https://www.dododex.com/taming/baryonyx

Put like what penguin said, should I get multiple rafts and sail them into the swamp and have a bunch of baryonx in a bunch of ramp traps? Because I understand what you are talking about, penguin. I used that method to tame a theri once. If you read this before, I meant "can't pickup anything"

How many traps you make is up to you. But... if you have even 1 pteranodon you should have the ability to farm the materials you need for cryopods, which means that you can tame one bary, put it in the pod and fly it back to your base for maximum security and to reduce the possibility of losing your tames. Then just rinse and repeat until you have the bary's you want.

Or... if for some reason you have difficulty getting the materials to make cryopods, you definitely want to build a safe building somewhere close to where you're going to do the taming, then build the taming pen, and then as you tame each bary you take it into the building. Then when you have tamed a herd of baryonyx you can ride one of them and lead the rest of the pack back to your base. Let's say you tame 6 bary's with a range of levels,  20, 25, 30, 45, 60, 70, you don't even need them to be very high level, a herd of bary's like that can kill most things that you would run into while riding back to your base. Even one high level (120-150) would mean that you'll be able to get home with very little risk.

An easy taming pen I use on almost all creatures is eight stone(or metal if I want it to be permanent) foundations in a 3x3 square(Don't fill middle to save on resources, but it really doesn't matter). Depending on the size of the creature I'm taming, I place stone doorframes on the outer part of the foundations, for a Bary I wouldn't use more than one doorframe on each foundation, as the Bary isn't tall enough to get out. I place a set of stone stairs on one side of the trap which I will kite the carnivore up. I run up the stairs, into the trap, and out one of the numerous doors. BOOM, it's trapped. Kill everything in the area, begin taming. Works for anything that can't jump(Ravagers) or fly as long as you can get them to fit in. For taller traps you'll need foundation support for the stairs by extending some foundations underneath them, but that's only necessary for creatures like Gigas and Brontos who can't be held by 2-wall tall traps. 

There are better traps, but this one is easy to set up and can be upgraded through different means, like adding a dinogate to one of the sides or a roof for certain creatures. 

Right now I have 3 argys, one of which is my brothers and the other which had high oxeygen, so I can afford to lose the oxeygen one. My current argy was a level 140 and has 10k health, 3k stam, and 200 damage. I dont know the percentage in terms of melee damage, but I know the amount. Will that work??? It also have 720 weight. 

18 hours ago, wizdawizard66 said:

Oh yeah. About the argy method, for some reason, I can't pickup any creatures with my argy. I dont know what did this. When was the last time you tamed a bary? Because I suspect they nerfed the argy. Put like what penguin said, should I get multiple rafts and sail them into the swamp and have a bunch of baryonx in a bunch of ramp traps? Because I understand what you are talking about, penguin. I used that method to tame a theri once. If you read this before, I meant "can't pickup anything"

Ah, right. Sorry, I completely forgot that official PVE doesn't allow flyer carry.

Lots of good suggestions on how to get it into a pen here though. Once note of caution if you head into the swamp on a raft -- they get stuck on rocks and trees often, and usually at the worst possible time. 

2 hours ago, wizdawizard66 said:

Thanks guys! So if I want to carry creatures I should change the world to PVP? Also, does that let me kill baby dinos? Because that will make it easy for breeding!

Yes exactly :) You can level your tames that way too, brother sits on tame he wants leveled, you kill a whack load of babies. Voila!

2 hours ago, zero064 said:

Ah, right. Sorry, I completely forgot that official PVE doesn't allow flyer carry.

Lots of good suggestions on how to get it into a pen here though. Once note of caution if you head into the swamp on a raft -- they get stuck on rocks and trees often, and usually at the worst possible time. 

Dont worry. I dont play on official. Personnaly, I am more into breeding and boss fights than PVP and hours of grinding. Official rates just dont work for me. 

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Yes exactly :) You can level your tames that way too, brother sits on tame he wants leveled, you kill a whack load of babies. Voila!

Btw, when I open my settings on xbox, by scrolling down in I think advanced settings, it shows something that says "max xp for dinos" or something. Should I crank this up super high so my dinos have no limits???

This person has a pretty good video showing where to find the entrances to the aberration zone. 

And yes, I'm pretty sure as long as your world is set to pvp with friendly fire off you can tribe up with your bro you can kill unclaimed dinos and pick up wild dinos. It does give you the cryo cool down though! 

Valguero is one of my favorite maps for all of its fun places to explore! 

Aberration zone, underground water ocean, spider cave, ice and fire wyvern trenches, all the neat ruins... A+

Archived