Remove or Increase Tether on Xbox

Detrik

Suggestion

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

82 replies to this server topic

When I first started playing ARK on my XBOX ONE S, single player split screen with my kids, there was a tether distance adjustment bar in the set up.  we played with it at its max (which was pretty far, I can't remember the distance) and we had NOT ONE issue with the game.  EVER.  So when they removed the option to make the distance locked citing problems, I didn't understand why.  We never had any problem on our console.

19 hours ago, Detrik said:

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

You can remain unhappy because they will never get rid of the tether. They added the distance slider by mistake but that option is only available for PC’s because of the many different specifications, and a low spec PC is still better than a console. Consoles do not have the hardware capability to support the increase.

Assuming console and unfortunately console hardware could not handle that. It could actually damage the hardware trying to process that much information. 

I believe PC does not have a tether or it can be extended or turned off. 

Your other options are to rent a server or join a server. Check some of the unofficials. You'll probably find some that fit your play style and time.

44 minutes ago, Dragonlady305 said:

If you can run without a tether on seven days ....then why can't they do it on ark? 

Because 7 days to die isn’t running any where near the same calculations.

I also heard they won't increase it because it's to much of a money making profit for them to rent out dedicated servers to increase the non dedicated teather. So more or less its rent one or join one ....or get another console, pc f,ect get the game again n run it 24/7 to have no teather. 

PC has a tether too except they get a slider because there are different specifications of PC but only 1 spec on console. Even the pro versions were unable to increase the tether range.

St least its what I heard from the Facebook groups .

Facebook is full of lies.

So, I play ark on console, and am not a big pvp guy. I also don't like PvE, as there are pillars everywhere and nowhere to build. I would just like for non dedicated servers that I host to not have tether, as tether distance makes the game harder, and your constantly being pulled to the host. It makes the game a lot less fun than it could be. If you even just lengthened it, I would be ok with that. Because 250 Meyers is way too short, especially if you want to do 2 different things.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

Then my argument should at least stand to allow us to increase the tether by a slider.  I think my system could handle it.

1 hour ago, HappyChappy said:

Yop I bought the game a week ago, and I already regret it. The tether is too short and the text is awfully small. If you're making a local split-screen option for a game, then make it right. I believe changing this wouldn't be such an issue, since these are just minor problems.. 

Just add an optional tether slider with a "warning" if you must, and make the text bigger... 

Please don't think we are some fools Wild Card, don't forget that we are the ones that pay your bills. At lease you can do is listen to us and do something. We're not asking for much.

Never gunna happen. The tether distance was already increased once and the devs have no intention of increasing it again. You’re beating a dead horse at this point.

Hi, why cant xbox have any tether distance at ALL whatsoever?????! I cannot LIVE without it because my friend doesnt give a poop about me when I'm trying to tame something like a griffin, and she doesnt care about when I'm trying to make a house. I mean, come on now! I hate this and I'm just about to delete ark myself.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Detrik said:

I agree I have it on PS4 and I get super annoyed that my friends and family can't do thier own thing while in the same sever

9 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Never gunna happen. The tether distance was already increased once and the devs have no intention of increasing it again. You’re beating a dead horse at this point.

I have no doubt that your right.  I think its purely because they dont want to over a lack of system power tho.

Quick question, if it tethers and renders from our save data, couldnt we theoretically have 2 save files loaded to render to separate areas?  I know there could be confliction maybe between the files if 1 players without the other for a while but couldnt we load p1's save and allow p2 to render separately even?  I know, kinda 2 questions, sorry.  Im also not a programmer, but it does seem like this could realistically be done better.

Tether distance

I have been playing ark since the first couple months it was available on xbox. I love the game and can deal with some of the small bugs in the game but one thing that ruins the game is the tether distance. 250m? Way too short. Please remove this, or at least bring back the option to increase. Just add a warning that changing this setting could affect performance and we can find what our xbox's can handle. I guarantee this bothers way more than me and makes the experience of ark way better. Pvp and Pve are almost impossible due to people building pillars so can't build and pvp is only fun for the strong toxic tribes. Please give us the option to increase or get rid of the barrier. Help them see this and show that it is way more than me that would love to have this in non dedicated servers

I have a PC that is pretty beefy (ryzen 5 with gtx1080ti and 16gb ram) and i have the windows 10 xbox play anywhere version of ark. Me and my friends are limited with a tether distance even though i could easily run it with a much higher distance (i am host on my pc) since i have a pc. I cant do this because i have the play anywhere version from the windows 10 store and not the steam version. At least add the tether distance slider to PC for the windows 10 store since i dont and wont have any problem running it.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:22 AM, Onimusha759 said:

I know the tethers there to keep the system from overloading.  But is 2 separate renders areas  really that much to handle?  Most people who want the removed tether want to play co op with 2 ppl.  I dont see my system crashing from 2 rendered areas.  If im rendering at 50+ solo i think it could handle 2 players rendering.  Especially when i play center and theres literally 500+ insects in a cave...No exaggeration in total its probably close to 1000, suddenly moving and attacking, and my game, tho slow as heck because of this idiot oversight, still isnt crashing.  I think in most cases 2 players individually rendering wouldnt 'blow up' my system.  I think it could handle it.  Maybe mark certain high demand areas as ever1 needs 2 b here and force a tether wen it does get to be to much, otherwise let us play without tether.

A non-dedicated server only functions because it’s rendering the host using their single player saved data.

Drag Tether in nondedicated multiplayer

recently i was looking for a way to turn the nondeicated multiplayer drag tether off in the options and saw a video on how to do this.....on the computer. but i dont have3 a gaming computer, i have an xbox one. i cant find the same option that is available for pc in the xbox options menu. that seems a bit odd. could you please add an option to the xbox one options menu to turn the tether dragging off?

my reasoning is simple. i play this game mostly with my nephew. e4specially right now with everything going on with the crisis. i have been babysitting my nephew through the xbox an entire state away (he is old enough to be home alone for short periods now but it makes my sister feel better to now he has contact with someone). as such we have been playing a lot of ark together online. this has overall been very helpful for both of us. it kept him calm and gave him enjoyment while home alone and it kept me distracted from the troubles going on right now. but we keep getting frustrated with the game too. lets be honest ... its kinda a buggy mess. dinos able to shove their faces several block lengths through walls..... plant species x not firing like it should... setting slider values being confusing.... unable to stop certain wild dinos and resources from spawning inside my bases despite having pillars and foundations everywhere and the settings for spawn radius set.... and of course the drag tether that wont quit.

often we get draggted for being out of range even when we are standing right next to each other.its very confusing to get caught in a dragloop when you onlyu want to take 5 steps away from host. thats of course the worst part. but it is still also annoying when you reach the default max tether distance and get yanked back to host. it means we have to be holding hands with everywhewre we want to go and everything we want to do. we cant split up and save time by doing our tasks seperately. also we often end up accidently dying together and losing all inventory because host dragged one of us off cliff. its very disruptive to gameplay.

that being said it is not a total curse. i must givecredit where credit is due. it is actually a two edged sword because we have also saved each others lives using the drag tether too. mostly by drgging one another away from a trex or by dragging each other away from the radiation zone in aberration etc. we also manage to helpget lost dinos or other dinos stuck on cliffs to safety and back to base by riding said dino and having host drag us to base.... but honestly its definitely more annoying than it is helpful.

i dont want to play on a real time public server either. especially not with a young child due to contact with strangers. but also because its a lot of constant work tomaintain the dinos and bases from raiders. not to mention the giga draggers (players that delight in dragging gigas to other groups bases for fun). so please add an option to turn host tethers off

It is so annoying when I want to do a cave run or go get wyvern eggs and my friends get tethered to me and end up dying. They always have to be in range of me no matter where I am going so I can't go get some wood without dragging them with me just to get some wood so I can craft a saddle. Why does it disturb you to let people decide if they want to change it? Where is the problem here because I never saw anyone complaining when you had the setting so you could change it but now no one on console wants to play the game because you wont let us change a stupid setting or just remove it altogether. 

Archived