Unintended mechanics: Where do you draw the line?

SaltyMonkey

Whilst trying to keep this issue as broad and general as possible, what needs to be done by both player and developer once an issue has been discovered?

Should the rules be modified to include blanket statements or is it more complicated than that?

Should the player take some personal responsibility and report it, or wait it out?

someone always reports, that's how wc finds out. they then evaluate the situation until their fidget spinner stop. it's like a stopwatch to them. they can't waste more time on a problem than that. so when they found out the cliff platforms were used to block off enemy bases, they just wrote a new rule. took them a month to fix the issue, by cutting the plat build radius by half. bodybags are a running joke. i assume you rose this subject because of the latest abbomination wipes due to building on the surface. looking at the wiki, abb with cliff platforms is 10 months old. don't tell me noone noticed. flying in singleplayer on god mode and... 

A bit of both I would imagine. Although I would guess it would help if we knew what an unintended mechanic actually is, I would imagine this is more obvious for some mechanics than others. Players should take some responsibility for these things and report stuff (especially if its obviuos) but stuff like this could certainly be stated or made clearer by the devs. 

12 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I draw my own line by choosing to play either private solo LAN server or properly vetted unofficial servers.

Pretty much me too. Not stepping on official again for multiple reasons.

Building outside of a six by six on rafts was an unintended mechanic that has basically became a necessary and acknowledged "Feature", so even the Devs clearly draw a line at some point.  Every once in a blue moon they make a patch to raft building which infuriates everybody and then remove it next patch.  Non-exploit raft building is very boring and uninspired.

Given the current situation, as I understand it, I would say the actions, and response to them, both leave a little to be desired. I think it IF the game developers are going to have such a hands on approach to managing their servers, then have clearly defined expectations is a must. If you notice something that is becoming an issue, as an example buildings in places they should not be, then it is the developers responsibility to make it known that this is an unintended mechanic. That being said, it is important for players, who have a very clear rule set, to use some judgement and restraint when making questionable decisions. When, for instance, you choose to build in an area that does not appear favorable to building, and has mechanics in place specifically to eliminate building there, then maybe you should not choose to build there. 

I guess I think that, if WildCard the game developer hasn't released a public statement on the issue yet, they are obligated to warn players before issuing any sort of punishment. However players need to be able to use their critical thinking skills and identify, report, and not exploit game mechanics that don't appear to be functioning as intended. 

1 hour ago, Glerian said:

Given the current situation, as I understand it, I would say the actions, and response to them, both leave a little to be desired. I think it IF the game developers are going to have such a hands on approach to managing their servers, then have clearly defined expectations is a must. If you notice something that is becoming an issue, as an example buildings in places they should not be, then it is the developers responsibility to make it known that this is an unintended mechanic. That being said, it is important for players, who have a very clear rule set, to use some judgement and restraint when making questionable decisions. When, for instance, you choose to build in an area that does not appear favorable to building, and has mechanics in place specifically to eliminate building there, then maybe you should not choose to build there. 

I guess I think that, if WildCard the game developer hasn't released a public statement on the issue yet, they are obligated to warn players before issuing any sort of punishment. However players need to be able to use their critical thinking skills and identify, report, and not exploit game mechanics that don't appear to be functioning as intended. 

Good luck using that logic towards the people who are defending the latest controversy. Defenders speak with emotion, not critical thinking.

”I wouldn’t normally be able to build here but can in this instance. What’s the worst that can happen?” ... “Why am I getting wiped when I’m the victim here.”

11 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

I was actually going to write a pet peev post about server vetting but went with the current topic.

Wouldn't a vetting criteria be fair application of the server rules by the admins. Also, clear rules and consequence for those rules.

So if the admin let's something slide for 10 months to a year and then changes their mind without warning, not a good way to handle things.

9 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Whilst trying to keep this issue as broad and general as possible, what needs to be done by both player and developer once an issue has been discovered?

Should the rules be modified to include blanket statements or is it more complicated than that?

Should the player take some personal responsibility and report it, or wait it out?

Developer responsibility is to act when information that could be potentially game breaking is reported by the player base I.E meshing

Player responsibility is to not invest in to a product anything if nothing is done about w/e is they reported I.E meshing.

The issue is if the whole player base is not affected by X or Y unintended mechanic.

Lets use a hypothetical here. If today WC put out a patch that broken dino's so they could not eat and did not fix it for months so everyone's dinos died would you invest $ in to the new expansion knowing that w/e you tame will be dead hours after you tame it? I get that we get this expansion for getting the season pass already but i am making a hypothetical for say future expansions.

You would be hard pressed to see people invest in future expansions if their 4 hour tames died with in 24 hours of taming it because it can not eat.

The reason is this affects both PvPers and PvErs alike. Issues that do not affect the entire player base leave the developers at an advantage to let the community abuse each other and defuse the situation by them selves majority of the time as you see MMORPG developers do this all the time. Sure some players will quit but when you love a game so much you always come back eventually to see what is new.

How many times have you seen the arguments Play unofficial or this is why i play PvE or PvE sucks because of (insert reason) and my personal favorite unofficial sucks because of admin abuse. These arguments put smiles on the developers face because they know its less work for them.

In a perfect scenario, players would report bugs to WC, and WC would fix those issues. However, this does not happen because WC does not care to fix the game, and would rather stick a bandage on it rather than spending some time to fix the issue.

Example?

- Meshers. The game is filled with people meshing to cheat in PVP servers. Climbing picks are a great example (credit to HOD / Jacked).

- Otters. You can stash as many artifacts as you want in them, making artifact farming a breeze.

- Tuso sometimes gets "bugged" and does not release you/your dino when it should have.

- Titans glitch through behemoth gates when they shouldn't be able to.

- Lag on Aberration is horrible, sometimes to the point where Rock Drake's can't even glide.

- Body bags. This is probably one of the most well-known exploits in the game, yet nothing is done about it.

- Insane amount of mesh issues on Aberration that can make you lose your dinos as they go under/through the map and are gone forever.

- Many people avoid filing tickets because they know it takes a lengthy amount of time to receive a response. Whether it is about stuck dinos, being pillared in, getting meshed, it doesn't matter, expect at least 14-21 days to receive a response from staff.

- Hatching eggs in your base (on foundations) can sometimes bug out and the dino hatches either under the foundation or goes through the floor and you lose it forever.

- Unlimited electrical power without a generator. You can set up electrical pipes and have them stay powered even when your generator is either off or completely removed. This is a bug known that people use in bases and on platform structures like quetz, paracer, bronto, etc..

- Ambiguous language. "Can't build in unintended areas." Why make it possible to build past a certain height in surface if you do not intend people to build there? A lot of people know that on Aberration, you can build structures to avoid being burned by the sun on the surface. Does that mean its an "unintended area?" Sure, it could. However, if you as a developer allow people to build there, does it not make sense that people will do it? Why not make more specific language? All it takes is a few minutes to research what your company considers "unintended areas to build," and a few minutes more to edit/write those areas in the rule page. There is a tribe on PVP - Jacked, who's base got dev wiped because of this language. No warning was given, just a straight wipe. Is this fair? It could be looked at both ways. On one hand Jacked and his tribe most likely knew that where they built was supposed to be burned to a crisp, yet they chose to  continue. However, in their defense, why not disable building in those areas? Or perhaps give the tribe a warning, make a server wide message, or include that area in the rules. There are many other ways to resolve an issue without deterring people from playing. If you spend thousands of hours on a base, and have it wiped within a few seconds, are you likely to continue playing? Probably not.

This type of conduct is wrong because if devs have the attitude of "I'd rather just dev wipe vs explain why it's wrong and inform players," the game is going to get a backlash of people who have less of a tendency to play because it seems that the devs don't care. The same goes for issues. There are many issues on every map, some of which I listed above. If months/years go by and WC does nothing to fix it, what type of mindset do you see in players? Law-abiding players who know others' conduct will be reprimanded, or players that know they can get away with breaking the rules?

5 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Wouldn't a vetting criteria be fair application of the server rules by the admins. Also, clear rules and consequence for those rules.

So if the admin let's something slide for 10 months to a year and then changes their mind without warning, not a good way to handle things.

That’s not what I’m saying, a pet peev list of things you’ve found whilst vetting. Anyway I guess I’ll actually make the post now seeing as this one is going way off topic.

Archived