How to more efficiently gather stuff

strongtoothpik

So I play on SP, with some amps to collection of materials, but still have trouble collecting enough materials for stuff like behemoth dino gates. The gathering is not the hard part, just getting the 3000 wood back to my base. My goal on this SP map is just to build a huge base like nothing I could ever get on PvP cuz I have a life to live lol. But still even though I'm the only one in my tribe, I feel like their is an easier solution to hauling materials. I was thinking of just taming a punch of easy pack mules like parasaurs, but that would be confusing on who has what on them etc. If anybody has  any answers or tips it would awesome. TIA.

I too play single player. I have a couple of strategies but two most popular methods:

1. AIR travel method: Use a quetzal for transporting to save time/avoid certain trouble areas/get to hard to reach areas.

2. GROUND travel method: If I don't have a quetz (like on current map left back on island just started Ragnarok). I ride a rex, wolf, or some type of damage dealer with solid health (just got a wyvern so now I am using it and love it) and set each of the specified (stone, wood, metal) pack mules to follow me. Then I set 1-3 wolves/raptors/etc to follow each of the mules. Aggression usually on neutral sometimes I'll keep mules on passive. Works great. Right now I have 6 wolves in total following my Doed, Mammoth, Direbear, and Anky. Two each for the Doed and Anky and one each for the Mammoth and Bear since they more tanky and do more dmg. I don't often take the bear but currently I am low on fiber, so he's tagging along.

*Note: WOOD: mammoth if not available then beaver. STONE: Doedicurus. Metal: Ankylosaurs. You get the idea use the DODODEX app to show gathering efficiencies. Those three/four if you count beaver get awesome deductions on their respected resource. By Air I load everyone on the quetz and don't bring any real damage dealer unless I know area I going is tough. 

Even more efficient is to take the beaver, mammoth, doedic, and a good deer for thatch together and craft the behemoths on the go in the Beaver, which acts as a smithy. you'll have so many behemoth's you won't know what to do. 

beaver reduces weight of wood/stone/thatch by 50% 

Mammoth reduces weight of wood by 75%

Doedic reduces weight of stone by 75%

Male deer gets a lot of thatch. Mammoth and Beaver get some thatch.

Additional; Anky reduces weight on raw metal by 75%. They are also the best obsidian, crystal, and flint gatherer on the island. 

If you can ever get a couple of Theri's make one a power harvester and take with mammoth for quick wood gathering. Make the other a delicate harvester and you'll get a ton of fiber and rare flowers, by using the secondary attack. 

Definitely read up on gathering rates in ark wiki and using the dododex app. 

Also be mindful of what flyers can carry what, I love the Argent and will love it even more after the TLC pass. My main issue with it currently is it can't carry a Doed or Anky... not sure if it should be able to or not but I wouldn't be upset if it did haha. But the quetz can have massive stuff like a rex on the platform saddle and can even carry an Anky or Doed in its talons. The wyvern can't use platform saddle but can carry the Doed or Anky. Makes big deal for quick escapes.

I have a metal mining outpost on herbivore island; I have a beaver follow my Ankylo as I harvest metal, and each "lap" I end up making 2-3 sets of stone behemoth gateways and their gates (using beaver's smithy saddle).  The only change from a just metal harvest lap is that I switch to the beaver occasionally so I have enough wood to use up the stone fast enough; and tend to hit stone nodes I might ignore (an amped up anky still gets some metal so I don't ignore that many normally anyway).

(Note: I also have other Ankylo's in the train to keep the main harvester from getting overloaded... and could probably use a supplementary wood-thatch-stone carrier for when the materials don't balance out and the beaver gets overloaded).

19 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

beaver reduces weight of wood/stone/thatch by 50% 

Mammoth reduces weight of wood by 75%

Doedic reduces weight of stone by 75%

Additional; Anky reduces weight on raw metal by 75%

Thanks for all of your guys' help. Really appreciate it. on crucifixion's note though, I discovered the casteroid reduced the stone way more than 50% at least for me (I may have some buff for reduced resource weight but I don't think so) the weight of a 100 pile of stone was 12.5. Same kind of thing with wood. Weird numbers if you ask me. But I think the rest of the numbers are right.

9 minutes ago, strongtoothpik said:

Thanks for all of your guys' help. Really appreciate it. on crucifixion's note though, I discovered the casteroid reduced the stone way more than 50% at least for me (I may have some buff for reduced resource weight but I don't think so) the weight of a 100 pile of stone was 12.5. Same kind of thing with wood. Weird numbers if you ask me. But I think the rest of the numbers are right.

Interesting. That would be a 75% reduction which is the same as a Mammoth and Doedic. You'll still need a Doedic to harvest the stone but it cuts down on needing the Mammoth since it harvest's wood better (outside of the fact that a Mammoth can get higher weight). 

I have heard the Castoroide may have received the same weight reduction as the Mammoth but haven't really checked. i usually just throw materials in and keep on crafting.  

3 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

My understanding was the beaver had the same at one time but it was nerfed to be be 50%. Now I'll have to check too as I would prefer to have the beaver around rather than the mammoth. 

Ya the smithy saddle is so convenient to to make the big items on the spot and reduce weight.

@strongtoothpik Naw that's why I said if developers made an engram for an aquarium. So you would learn said engram, build it, place wherever you want it. Would make cool decoration in base also. Then you would go tame eel, or maybe you don't have to tame it? Idk if there was a way to just "catch" the eel that would be cool. Then place in aquarium. Connect your wires as normal. Only caveat would be it wouldn't eat from trough so you would have to put food in it directly. Knowing the devs they'd make it like the beehive where if you didn't use something special to subdue it then you would get shocked haha. Like bees with ghillie suit or bug repellent.  

This is not as effective as what others have mentioned about using specific mounts to transport resources, but it's a lot simpler and works pretty well. Tame an army of argies (3-8+), level weight, and use them to do all of your hauling. They can't take doeds or ankies to the nodes, so you either need to have them based near rich resources (mining outposts) or do the mining by hand (not the worst with decent level tools and hoping place to place on a flier).

Another reason I like this method is that I don't have to be that careful, i.e. it's about as fool proof as Ark is going to get. Argies are decently strong, and if you're riding one with good battle stats, pretty much the only thing that can ruin your day is a giga or MAYBE alpha rex sneaking up on you. Just be careful you don't overload one and leave it behind somewhere.

With the TLC pass, evidently they'll be even better.

• Volunteer Moderator

The method I usually use is to not to haul raw resources around the map, but to make as close to the final product as I can, near the hardest to get/move resources.  Why move metal when you can move ingots?  Why move ingots, when you can just move the walls/ceilings/foundations/gates.  Easier to bring CP to a metal mining base than to bring metal or ingots to another location.

For metal, I build a base near metal resources, where I keep my Anky, forges, smithy, and fabricator, plus a few mortars.  You may also want to keep a faster transport at such a base, such as a few Argys, so that as you get farther from the base, you can use them to take metal back to the base and getting it processing, then return to the Anky.   Also make spark powder in the same base as you should collect plenty of flint and stone just from harvesting other rocks along the way.

You may consider building a CP manufacturing base near one of the caves, where you keep your mount(unless you keep in the cave; raised from a baby) and mortars, plus a doed.  Harvest chitin, harvest stone, and make the CP, and take it back to your base for making metal.  Later, as you advance, you could put a chem bench at that base (and also put one at your metal mining base).

Then make your metal building supplies at the metal mining base, and then that is the only thing you really need to move.

If you are making stone items, do similar, by making a base near rock and wood resources, keep the appropriate items in that base, and make everything there.

For oil, anky on a raft, and trip around the island.  Or, just keep an anky near a good spot for oil and harvest their on a regular basis; you can even use the cave pearl trick below(just keep fur on hand).  Thank take the oil to your metal mining base and make gas as needed.

Pearls, if you want to meta it a bit, put beds in the underwater caves, along with a storage box, and use the beds to go between caves, collect the pearls, put in the box, and then every so often, get a a good ocean mount and make the rounds between all of the caves.  You can also increase production by taming anglers and keeping them in the caves.  Just keep some tanks and suits at each base, do a quick run for nearby pearl patches, and add to your stash.  Take pearls back to the metal mining base, and make what you need there, like electronics, since that is where you have your metal ingots being made.

Similar can be done for making other things like charcoal, gun powder, polymer, and narcotics.

Lastly, don't forget about building on the go.   You can take the animals you need in one trip, to gather wood, thatch, and stone, and make your stone pieces as you go.   And, you could always making a mining quetz/pacarer/bronto(use to keep one on herbi island), with stone forges, smith, and such, to gather and manufacture on the go.  

I also find it a bit fun to build these mini-support bases, from finding the right spot, then designing and planning, building, and stocking with equipment and dinos, and then later upgrading.   Also, they give you more respawn spots around the map, if you add beds(and you should).   And, you spend less time traveling back and forth, just moving resources; your day(s) can be more of moving from base to base, gathering and making what you need, until you have what you need to start/expand your main base.

On 01/02/2018 at 5:37 PM, strongtoothpik said:

So I play on SP, with some amps to collection of materials, but still have trouble collecting enough materials for stuff like behemoth dino gates. The gathering is not the hard part, just getting the 3000 wood back to my base. My goal on this SP map is just to build a huge base like nothing I could ever get on PvP cuz I have a life to live lol. But still even though I'm the only one in my tribe, I feel like their is an easier solution to hauling materials. I was thinking of just taming a punch of easy pack mules like parasaurs, but that would be confusing on who has what on them etc. If anybody has  any answers or tips it would awesome. TIA.

If you have abberation tame a karkinos.. dont even need to level weight (but should get 3.5-4k pretty easily if you did) can carry resource gathering tames in its claws who can be slot capped and jump to move whilst encumbered. Can also throw encumbered tames.

If you are in need of wood. Fear no more.

Tame a high level mammoth and level it in weight. All points go to weight, you can reach about 2k weight pretty easy. (1 stack wood = 10 weight. - That's 20k wood you can carry on the mammoth) Or maybe it's 1 stack = 12,5 weight, can't remember exactly, but anyway, the mammoth is the way to go. Forget about the stupid beaver.

What you do now, is craft youself a chainsaw, (if you have a blueprint with more damage, use that). 

Now walk out with your mammoth to a three, if you live near redwood, go to the big threes for more wood. 
- Stand on top of your mammoths head, facing the three and start cutting with your chainsaw. You can over encomber youself with wood as long as you are harvesting, then you can load it it straight into your mammoths flat head, which makes a perfect stool for you to stand on. 
The mammoth has weight reduction in wood, so you can easily carry a lot of wood back. If you have a quetzel you can lift up your full mammoth and fly back to base if you live far away from the woods. Just make sure that the quetz have a bit more weight than your mammoth for optimal travel time.

Using this method you can easily get 2k-3k wood PER THREE, using the chainsaw and cutting down a single three takes seconds.. It's the fastest way to get wood. (Standard rates)

Second tip: 

If you live near a river or just any water with rocks in it. 
Tame youself a doedicures, it's perfect for harvesting stone and it can do it much faster in the water than on land. Not many players knows about this. 

And again, use a Quetzel to fly it back to base or simply just roll with it, since it has a descent rolling speed itself. Unless there is a lot of obstacles. 

- In general, if your main problem is getting your materials back to base, you should set up a small crafting area where you are farming and craft your stuff there. Crafted items doesn't weigh as much.

Archived