Spelunking! How NOT To get super rabies!

Supasuno

Hallo all!

I play solo on the island (online, just not interested in tribing right now as I'm still learning a lot!) And lately, I've been eyeing my ramshackle crossbow and wondering 'What can I do to get better items" besides killing alphas and getting the odd jm pick and the losing it to a death noodle or tickle chicken!

Blueprints are the answer, obviously!

I've been looking at the caves, watching unhelpful tutorials, stocking up on bugspray, stimulant and ammo...

... I can get a little way in, then a lizard gives me super rabies. A scorpion Unicorned me mercilessly the second time as I ran back to get my stuff, only for the third try to get super rabies again AND carried off by a bat!

So... What helpful hints can you people offer?

53 minutes ago, Supasuno said:

Hallo all!

I play solo on the island (online, just not interested in tribing right now as I'm still learning a lot!) And lately, I've been eyeing my ramshackle crossbow and wondering 'What can I do to get better items" besides killing alphas and getting the odd jm pick and the losing it to a death noodle or tickle chicken!

I've been looking at the caves, watching unhelpful tutorials, stocking up on bugspray, stimulant and ammo...

... I can get a little way in, then a lizard gives me super rabies. A scorpion Unicorned me mercilessly the second time as I ran back to get my stuff, only for the third try to get super rabies again AND carried off by a bat!

depending on what caves you do, id suggest taming a high lvl wolf/saber/ and a frog for swamp cave

Best BPs are in the hardest caves.... except the West Water Cave on Island.  You can tame a Basil and just go through.  3 drops in there with 1 respawning every 30 minutes.  Once you clear it the dinos never respawn unless the server restarts.  You could also go 600 oxygen and flippers to get through it.  You'll have a full set of JM/MC flak BPs within a few days.

Otherwise, for bats, use a mount and carry antidote.  If you have over 350 HP you can get through at least 1 mega rabies without dying.

17 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Best BPs are in the hardest caves.... except the West Water Cave on Island.  You can tame a Basil and just go through.  3 drops in there with 1 respawning every 30 minutes.  Once you clear it the dinos never respawn unless the server restarts.  You could also go 600 oxygen and flippers to get through it.  You'll have a full set of JM/MC flak BPs within a few days.

Otherwise, for bats, use a mount and carry antidote.  If you have over 350 HP you can get through at least 1 mega rabies without dying.

I thought that cave was easy, but i took a level 250 Basil into the Western water cave two days ago and got wrecked by 3 Alpha Sharks over level 200.  That cave is hard.

There's a few tings you can do:

• Boost your fortitude to increase your resistance to the disease. It's small, but every bit helps.
  • Craft healing potions, you can easily survive the disease when using healing potions.
  • According the wiki you can use a Lesser Andidote, not tested this myself, but they should survive a trip in the cave long enough in case you get infected.
  • Use mounts, makes a huge difference.
  • Lazarus Chowder increases health recovery, increasing your chances of survival.

My suggestion is to master the naked cave runs, you will die a few time to kite things from your escape path but always works, and at 26 fortitude no issues with rabies. here is an example of a naked run i recorded, it is in SE but the method aplies to every single cave, i have done even the hard snow cave at island fully this way.  In this run i got mc desert gloves bp.  **edit: this is official server.

Everyones advice is great, Like you I play solo and caves always cause me trouble. I have been able to complete the center cave with a Carno , Saber and a Direwolf. One of the funnest things that I have done is tame a bunch of Dimorphadons and had them on aggressive. You pretty much just follow them and don't have to fight anything. 

Megaloceros are amazing as a mount vs onycs. Their antlers provide protection against flying enemies. They are also tough and have decent melee.

The lesser antidote recipe is an unnecessary pain in the arse as some of its ingredients are difficult to farm and decay way to fast. 

400hp for you, megaloceros, and a couple health pots and you can do any onyc, megalania cave safely save swamp and ice. 

My suggestion is to master the naked cave runs, you will die a few time to kite things from your escape path but always works, and at 26 fortitude no issues with rabies. here is an example of a naked run i recorded, it is in SE but the method aplies to every single cave, i have done even the hard snow cave at island fully this way.  In this run i got mc desert gloves bp.  **edit: this is official server.

That is an awesome idea! Thank you :)

Personally I use medbrews to counter the mega-rabies, taking tames into caves is a good option, some nice wolves or sabers will fit in most caves, but going on foot is much more hectic/fun i usually take 2 vultures (one levelled only in melee on my shoulder and its more tanks mate following) to make the bats less of a pain.

As said previously, use Stims for the scorpions/snakes.

You can always grapple the ceiling to give you a good firing position over anything but bats.

Take a decent ranged weapon for any artheopleura.

Slow and steady, learn the routes before you start going for speedy runs and don't over invest resource/gear wise. My standard kit out for most caves is 2 sets of gear (my preference is ghillie if possible), longneck, prim cbow for grapples, a pump action shotgun, pike or sword, a couple chutes food and water plus 20-30 medbrews ammo, 10 grappling hooks and 2 vultures. You can replace everything but the shotgun within an hour, stews to deal with the cold are cheaper than fur and medbrews are so cheap that you can ignore most environmental hazards and just chow down the red pots (for island swamp cave you need a scuba tank).

Once you get used to the caves you can actually avoid a lot of the mobs or sprint through areas knowing they Cant get past the next pitfall etc. just be aware, they do spawn inside the walls, but you can always whistle the flying vulture forward to 'scout'.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:40 PM, Supasuno said:

Hallo all!

Easiest (most cost efficient way) would to be equipped with a shield/sword combo and have a vulture army follow you in. 

As long as you remain aware of your surroundings and shield the first attack from any enemy, the vultures destroy anything you will come across in a cave. For example: I solo the Lava Golem cave on Ragnarok (up to the boss) and back out with the drops, taking only two metal shields, 10 grappling hooks and 6 vultures. I successfully run this cave 4-5 times a week and other than the lag causing me to fall into the lava once or twice, I have yet to need bug spray, cactus brews or antidotes. 

Practice this method once or twice outside the caves first to get method down (whistling orders etc) and you will find that it makes it very easy. Also just as an FYI vultures are very quick to tame and breed. 

P.S. This method does not work in the Ice queen cave :D   

Archived