Top ten favorite Dinos

RAYGUNcam

In order:

1.) Dimorphodon - my first love in Ark, and so will always be my #1. On top of being one of the cutest things ever, I have found that few problems can't be solved by a well bred flock. Three platforms, six private games and six hundred or so dimorphodons later they're still my favorite.

2.) Wyvern - honestly, WildCard could have sold me the wyverns alone for the $20 Scorched Earth expansion. The awesome map and other cool critters were a nice extra, but I'd have probably paid even more just to fulfill my childhood dream of being a dragon rider.

3.) Argentavis - even post-flier nerf, after "build Outpost," "obtain berry gatherer" and "craft tranq and narcotics," step four of a new game is almost always to get my hands on a good eagle. Of all the animals I habitually bring home, few have more utility and value than a good eagle.

4.) Giga - the giga is the hardest tame I ever did. Me, my friend, our hapless quetzal and a boatload of tranq darts, spare guns and narcotic...armed with a rough idea of strategy...still got eaten in the attempt. Twice. But after we successfully managed to tame the two that conveniently (inconveniently?) spawned together, Sekhmet and Ra represented one of my biggest accomplishments in the game. In every game I can since my original Xbox Island game, a female giga has been a staple goal. I was even just gifted a beautiful giga on the Ragnarok dedicated I played on. But on top of that fondness is a very, very healthy respect.

5.) Jerboa - As I hoard wyverns, I spent a lot of time getting good at World Scar runs for eggs...and the scariest thing to ever happen to me was being pursued by wyverns right as a sandstorm hit. Guess what I didn't have with me? After that the incredibly cute jerboa became something I didn't leave home without. I have a hoard because they're adorable, but it's my trusty SEWS that always comes with. America has the NWS (national weather service), and I have the Scorched Earth Weather Service.

6.) Anklyosaurus - my favorite dinosaur when I was a child makes the list as my ideal utility critter. It does metal and berries, so if I get to choose a berry critter, the more inefficient but better loved anklyo is my choice.

7.) Microraptor - the first time I got hit by a microraptor, it scared the living daylights out of me! But on closer inspection I found that they're pretty cute, and pretty lethal...and so an ideal ground force to accompany the airborne murder bird (dimorphodon) squad.

8.) Plesiosaur - honestly, I hate the ocean in Ark. It makes me really uncomfortable! About the only thing that could have driven me to the depths was the plesiosaur, to accomplish another childhood dream. One of the popular theories about the Loch Ness Monster was that she could be a plesiosaur. A love of that story from a young age meant I needed a Nessie of my own.

9.) Sabertooth - I travel by air as much as I can, but playing modded on PC enlightened me to the fact I needed reliable ground transportation too...and no one fit the bill better than the kitty.

10.) Carno - my very first major carnivore tame was an albino carno on Grand Peak. I've loved them ever since, and find an albino carno to bring home in every game I've played since.

There are so many others I could list! But I think those are my top ten.

From 10 to 1:

10: Therizinosaurus
9: Thylacoleo
8: Griffin
7: Wyvern
6: Yutyrannus
5: Terror Bird
4: Rex
3: Giganotosaurus
2: Quetzalcoatlus
1: Raptor

For land and airborne dinos that is, for sea dinos its a little different:
Basilosaurus, Tusotheutis, Mosasaurus, Plesiosaurus, Dunkleosteus, Megalodon, Plesiosaurus, Angler and the rest is useless for me ^^

20 hours ago, LadyCrescent said:

In order:

1.) Dimorphodon - my first love in Ark, and so will always be my #1. On top of being one of the cutest things ever, I have found that few problems can't be solved by a well bred flock. Three platforms, six private games and six hundred or so dimorphodons later they're still my favorite.

2.) Wyvern - honestly, WildCard could have sold me the wyverns alone for the $20 Scorched Earth expansion. The awesome map and other cool critters were a nice extra, but I'd have probably paid even more just to fulfill my childhood dream of being a dragon rider.

3.) Argentavis - even post-flier nerf, after "build Outpost," "obtain berry gatherer" and "craft tranq and narcotics," step four of a new game is almost always to get my hands on a good eagle. Of all the animals I habitually bring home, few have more utility and value than a good eagle.

4.) Giga - the giga is the hardest tame I ever did. Me, my friend, our hapless quetzal and a boatload of tranq darts, spare guns and narcotic...armed with a rough idea of strategy...still got eaten in the attempt. Twice. But after we successfully managed to tame the two that conveniently (inconveniently?) spawned together, Sekhmet and Ra represented one of my biggest accomplishments in the game. In every game I can since my original Xbox Island game, a female giga has been a staple goal. I was even just gifted a beautiful giga on the Ragnarok dedicated I played on. But on top of that fondness is a very, very healthy respect.

5.) Jerboa - As I hoard wyverns, I spent a lot of time getting good at World Scar runs for eggs...and the scariest thing to ever happen to me was being pursued by wyverns right as a sandstorm hit. Guess what I didn't have with me? After that the incredibly cute jerboa became something I didn't leave home without. I have a hoard because they're adorable, but it's my trusty SEWS that always comes with. America has the NWS (national weather service), and I have the Scorched Earth Weather Service.

6.) Anklyosaurus - my favorite dinosaur when I was a child makes the list as my ideal utility critter. It does metal and berries, so if I get to choose a berry critter, the more inefficient but better loved anklyo is my choice.

7.) Microraptor - the first time I got hit by a microraptor, it scared the living daylights out of me! But on closer inspection I found that they're pretty cute, and pretty lethal...and so an ideal ground force to accompany the airborne murder bird (dimorphodon) squad.

8.) Plesiosaur - honestly, I hate the ocean in Ark. It makes me really uncomfortable! About the only thing that could have driven me to the depths was the plesiosaur, to accomplish another childhood dream. One of the popular theories about the Loch Ness Monster was that she could be a plesiosaur. A love of that story from a young age meant I needed a Nessie of my own.

9.) Sabertooth - I travel by air as much as I can, but playing modded on PC enlightened me to the fact I needed reliable ground transportation too...and no one fit the bill better than the kitty.

10.) Carno - my very first major carnivore tame was an albino carno on Grand Peak. I've loved them ever since, and find an albino carno to bring home in every game I've played since.

There are so many others I could list! But I think those are my top ten.

I'll admit when I saw your post I said to my self "Wow... That's a lot of words..." but I did read it and I like that you did give reasons of why their your favorite, like I like the Tyrannosaurus because when you first saw Jurassic park, admit it you thought the Rex was cool. Now that Ark is a thing you get to control that power (sure there are more powerful dinos) and the T-Rex was always a favorite. The reason for the Jerboa is funny honestly I'd like to see someone make a short of the SEWS using the future Tek item camera. Argentavis was one of my first dinos TBH I joined a player dedicated PvP server and someone decided to help me out and give me one. Microraptors are very useful if you use them right especially in PvP toss them at an aggressor on a mount take them off and you know the rest... stab them a few times and hope their mount doesn't want your blood.

26 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Megatherium, Megalania (not very useful, I know, but fun), Griffin, Mantis, Phoenix, Arthropleura, Daeodon, Yutyrannus, Equus, Dunkleosteus

I've only tamed 2 of these things on this list which is the Yutyrannus, and Griffin. The Yuty is good especially during boss fights with 8 or so rexes with high stats the boss wont stand a chance, and the Griffin is useful for its speed crossing the map for something very quickly.

Just now, RAYGUNcam said:

I've only tamed 2 of these things on this list which is the Yutyrannus, and Griffin. The Yuty is good especially during boss fights with 8 or so rexes with high stats the boss wont stand a chance, and the Griffin is useful for its speed crossing the map for something very quickly.

Megathrium absolutely thrashes the Broodmother and beats any other tame for Chitin harvesting. Daeodon is good for boss fights, too, to help your creatures tank a little bit more damage. A lot of the rest of them, I just like because they're fun to use (or truthfully useful, as is the case for the Mantis, Equus, and Phoenix)

4 hours ago, RAYGUNcam said:

I'll admit when I saw your post I said to my self "Wow... That's a lot of words..." but I did read it and I like that you did give reasons of why their your favorite, like I like the Tyrannosaurus because when you first saw Jurassic park, admit it you thought the Rex was cool. Now that Ark is a thing you get to control that power (sure there are more powerful dinos) and the T-Rex was always a favorite. The reason for the Jerboa is funny honestly I'd like to see someone make a short of the SEWS using the future Tek item camera. Argentavis was one of my first dinos TBH I joined a player dedicated PvP server and someone decided to help me out and give me one. Microraptors are very useful if you use them right especially in PvP toss them at an aggressor on a mount take them off and you know the rest... stab them a few times and hope their mount doesn't want your blood.

Sorry for all those words, lol...if you went back through my post history you'd find I'm guilty of being a very wordy story-teller. All the memories and experiences I have from Ark, you know.

I too had a Jurassic Park inspired fondness. When I was first invited to check out Ark in a friend's non-dedicated, I showed up knowing basically nothing about the game beyond that I wanted a dilo because I liked the one in Jurassic Park. I named him Spike, and he has a history of stories I'll spare you. ?

I'm almost entirely a solo player these days...and you'd never catch me dead on a PvP server...you PvP folks are made of sterner stuff than me! So I've never used the menagerie on people. But I need to record the mass destruction of setting out with a group of dimorphodons and microraptors for what I'll call hands-on spawn clearing. It's absolute carnage. But I can see how microraptors would be a proper pain for PvP application.

Phoenix - Honestly, because it's our campfire if nothing more but there are plenty more reasons to love it.
Wyvern - Pretty quick travel and can hold quite a bit. Strong and looks cool.
Griffin - Basically the middle point between the wyvern and the phoenix. Doesn't look as cool as either but still pretty great.
Giga - Has always been my favorite dinosaur even growing up.
Megalosaurus - This would actually be higher on the list if it was a bit more useful. Adorable when they're sleeping and quite the brute during the night.
Mosa - The only reason I can run an aquatic game at all. The feeling that I can take almost anything in the ocean helps counterbalance the feeling of dread I get.
Therizino - Insanely useful and still cute.
Yutyrannus - Just plain adorable 
Spino - This would also be higher on the list if it were more useful. Has amazing color regions.
Jerboa - I've always liked these but since the introduction of the phoenix, these have moved up on the list. Now I really can't go anywhere without a jerboa.

10. Megatherium, crush those annoying ants, scorpions, spiders and even the broodmother when in a pack.

9. Beelzebufo, great transport, cementing paste machine, great for online pvp (knock them out) and look very cool and cute.

8. Therizinosaur, the king of farming, fighting and raiding. I love my tickle chicken terry! <3

7. Iguanodon, very fast, doesn't use stamina, gathers berries rather quickly. Will most likely be the first dino i will tame if i start on a new server.

6. Basilo, strong, good health regen effect, pretty ok speed, just nice for exploring the oceans with. Also immune to damn jellys, eels and tusos.

5. Thylacoleo, basically your very upgraded sabertooth.

4. Spino, very strong, less bulky than the rex, great in the water. I really like the sponos look, although for how hard they are to tame, they could use a little buff.

3. Sabertooth, they are very quick, easy to tame just at level 25 or so, and great for collecting prime. I think they are very cute too! Especcialy the juveniles <3

2. Direbear, these beasts are actually extremely overpowered. On our boosted rates server we are breeding direbears and its just insane how fast, strong and useful they are

1. Argentavis, extremely useful, have a lot of weight, great fighters and easy to tame and fly all over the map.

Dinos i dont like

Pleisio, just an alternate mosa, looks weird.

Pegomastax, tamed really useless, wild really annoying.

Dimetrodon, useless, just make aircos and in the wild they bring nothing.

Pteranodon, i like it a bit but i think its really overrated, they ALWAYS have to land.

Chalicotherium, ugly and in the wild weird, sometimes they aggro you on 10 meters range, sometimes you hug them and they dont care.

yea thats basically it.

16 hours ago, LadyCrescent said:

Sorry for all those words, lol...if you went back through my post history you'd find I'm guilty of being a very wordy story-teller. All the memories and experiences I have from Ark, you know.

I too had a Jurassic Park inspired fondness. When I was first invited to check out Ark in a friend's non-dedicated, I showed up knowing basically nothing about the game beyond that I wanted a dilo because I liked the one in Jurassic Park. I named him Spike, and he has a history of stories I'll spare you. ?

I'm almost entirely a solo player these days...and you'd never catch me dead on a PvP server...you PvP folks are made of sterner stuff than me! So I've never used the menagerie on people. But I need to record the mass destruction of setting out with a group of dimorphodons and microraptors for what I'll call hands-on spawn clearing. It's absolute carnage. But I can see how microraptors would be a proper pain for PvP application.

I am also a solo player, I try to go solo on PvP servers and well most of the time it doesn't go well.

My first experience was playing singleplayer and my first tame was a dilo who helped me tame a Raptor and well almost killed it too.

Ark is a fun game and your right about the fond memories it provides

Archived