Ark pvp is dumb. It's just offline wiping all the time.

Zoopshab

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have added ways to defend against this.

So while I agree if you are currently in thatch,wood, or stone this can be a problem.. once you hit metal and start building some turrets and other basic defenses you will see this much less. You might have someone break in and take some BP's, but getting wiped rarely happens unless you have gone out of your way to bring someones wrath on you.

Your chance of being wiped are directly proportional to what tier you are at.. the more they have to invest to raid you, the lower the chances you will be wiped. Even some basic defenses will deter most smaller tribes. So focus on staying hidden until you can start to stock pile the materials to build up a decent metal base with defenses.. then find a remote spot out of common travel points and build it up. Also there is a certain dino in this game that can burrow and hold items... he is almost impossible to locate in that state unless someone gets REALLY lucky. So take advantage of it for hiding your most valuable items.

Anyone with enough time and diligence can pick apart your base over a couple hours on Monday when you're at work. Or are in a different time zone or whatever. The point is; it's not PVP if you aren't online at the time.  

I look at the tribe logs for the last couple times we've been wiped and its all at the same time: Monday during work hours, over several hours, slowly and methodically picking away at the turrets and walls.

Server 181 got wiped 2 weeks ago that way. Russian mega tribe came on on Monday when no one else was online to clear all the bases. I found out about it after but hear they just stacked the server with so many players no one else could log on to even try to defend their bases.

How is it PVP? Its completely not PVP. Its PVE against poop other players have built.

Server 181 got wiped 2 weeks ago that way. Russian mega tribe came on on Monday when no one else was online to clear all the bases. I found out about it after but hear they just stacked the server with so many players no one else could log on to even try to defend their bases.
How is it PVP? Its completely not PVP. Its PVE against poop other players have built.

Thats what bobs burgers from 195 did today... Wiped out every one because they can't log in

32 minutes ago, reidmarc said:

Many people have lives you know. Sometimes they have something more important to do than logging onto ARK. Like going to their job, or taking care of a demanding baby, family obligations, doing stuff that a normal person of society needs to do to LIVE in the real world.

Ark's PVP isn't PVP. I agree with the OP. Offline raiding shouldn't be a thing, and yet WC thinks giving the bullies who like to kick down sandcastles their ego trip through this game is 'fun'...if I was online to defend myself it maybe would actually be legit PVP AND dare I say, fun! But it isn't...hence why I don't touch PVP mode with a 10 foot pole on officials.

If ARK didn't have a PVE mode or a modding community, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be as well liked or played as much as it is now.

I agree. When I first started playing, I built with the intention to be able to fight while being raided. I built a ton of balista turrets and not near enough auto and plant. However after 2 years I realize that if someone wipes one of my bases, it will be within a few hours at about 6am my time when not even the Australians in our tribe are online. At the end of the day most people will use whatever method possible to get the best edge against you and try to make sure that you won't be back around to retaliate. At least that is the way it is with big tribes and bases. Unfortunately there is no fix against it since every solution that anyone can think of will just create a butterfly effect that will lead to unexpected consequences. Only thing you can do is just build with the thought that you won't be around when an attack goes down. 

1 minute ago, Ulta said:

Ark's PVP isn't PVP. I agree with the OP. Offline raiding shouldn't be a thing, and yet WC thinks giving the bullies who like to kick down sandcastles their ego trip through this game is 'fun'...if I was online to defend myself it maybe would actually be legit PVP AND dare I say, fun! But it isn't...hence why I don't touch PVP mode with a 10 foot pole on officials.

The solution is much harder to come to than complaining about a problem. Complain all your want about offline raiding, the solution is not easy. ORP has huge abuse potential. Server reserved slotting can be abused as well. Even lower pop caps on tribes/alliances can easily be circumvented via teamspeak/vent/mumble ect...

The only true defense that still exists against offline raids is to have a tribe that actively recruits players from many different time zones. OR Be in an alliance of tribes that are from different time zones. An enemy can't fill up the server slots leaving you defenseless if your own defenders are already on. (aside from DDoS which is a separate issue and WC needs to work on)

45 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

The solution is much harder to come to than complaining about a problem. Complain all your want about offline raiding, the solution is not easy. ORP has huge abuse potential. Server reserved slotting can be abused as well. Even lower pop caps on tribes/alliances can easily be circumvented via teamspeak/vent/mumble ect...

The only true defense that still exists against offline raids is to have a tribe that actively recruits players from many different time zones. OR Be in an alliance of tribes that are from different time zones. An enemy can't fill up the server slots leaving you defenseless if your own defenders are already on. (aside from DDoS which is a separate issue and WC needs to work on)

The way they do ORP was terrible though. There's a mod that does it 10x better. ORP shouldn't be a server wide thing...it should be something you place down that puts a protective bubble in a surrounding area around the object placed, and anything inside the bubble is what's immune when you are offline. That way players don't feel they can just drop their dino's wherever and have no repercussions. And THAT ORP should be on PVP...the fact they thought it was needed more on PVE is just silly.

Either way, abuse POTENTIAL is just potential. As much of a solution as having tribe members in different time zones is, not everyone can or is willing to do it, since ARK seems to attract jerks who'd rather inside you than be trustful. It's not the most appealing of solutions. Fixing ORP to be better than it is now and putting it on PVP servers is a more favorable solution.

2 hours ago, Deathwaits said:

...getting wiped rarely happens unless you have gone out of your way to bring someones wrath on you.

100% disagree with this. absolutely untrue. metal tier does NOT stop an alpha tribe from wiping you for no reason. 

and i'm talking foundation wiped. i've build in several discreet locations around all the maps, the most memorable being on the center. had an air lock, buffer chamber, and layered walls. was not blocking any resource spawn and was not in the way of any important pathways, also did not ever communicate or interact with the alpha. log on and we are foundation wiped besides one or two foundations with one wall left. even after being set up with turrets and plant x, it happened again in a different location.

so no, metal tier absolutely does not dissuade someone with the spare resources from wiping you, regardless of your interaction with them. you forget how toxic the official PVP community is. in fact, i would argue that you have a greater chance of being wiped when you build with higher tier structures due to the visual cue that you have enough resources to build in that particular tier. a lot of people won't wipe a thatch hut, they will break the door and steal the stuff and leave because there would be more resources wasted in blowing it up than they could gain back from it. but metal? everyone with c4 is absolutely itching to take a bite and see what's inside your metal home.

a quote that made my PVP time a lot less stressful: "look weak when you are strong, but look strong when you are weak"

2 hours ago, Deathwaits said:

They have added ways to defend against this.

So while I agree if you are currently in thatch,wood, or stone this can be a problem.. once you hit metal and start building some turrets and other basic defenses you will see this much less. You might have someone break in and take some BP's, but getting wiped rarely happens unless you have gone out of your way to bring someones wrath on you.

Your chance of being wiped are directly proportional to what tier you are at.. the more they have to invest to raid you, the lower the chances you will be wiped. Even some basic defenses will deter most smaller tribes. So focus on staying hidden until you can start to stock pile the materials to build up a decent metal base with defenses.. then find a remote spot out of common travel points and build it up. Also there is a certain dino in this game that can burrow and hold items... he is almost impossible to locate in that state unless someone gets REALLY lucky. So take advantage of it for hiding your most valuable items.

I scour the map with Troodons.  Purlovias cannot hide from the Troodon.

47 minutes ago, Ulta said:

The way they do ORP was terrible though. There's a mod that does it 10x better. ORP shouldn't be a server wide thing...it should be something you place down that puts a protective bubble in a surrounding area around the object placed, and anything inside the bubble is what's immune when you are offline. That way players don't feel they can just drop their dino's wherever and have no repercussions. And THAT ORP should be on PVP...the fact they thought it was needed more on PVE is just silly.

If you are referring to the system where you place down an object and it protects structures/tames inside the bubble if all tribe members are logged off then that is just as bad an implementation of ORP as they have now. The abuse of it is whenever a tribe is attacked then everyone logs off. Another way is Dark and Lights bubble works and the attacker makes known their intent to attack by showing the banner. That's terrible as well because instead of fighting targets just load up all their goodies and dump it or hide it away on another base.

Again, ORP at its very core is flawed thus the vast majority of its implementation forms are terrible and riddled with abuse.

52 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Either way, abuse POTENTIAL is just potential. As much of a solution as having tribe members in different time zones is, not everyone can or is willing to do it, since ARK seems to attract jerks who'd rather inside you than be trustful. It's not the most appealing of solutions. Fixing ORP to be better than it is now and putting it on PVP servers is a more favorable solution.

If people would take time to learn the tribe system in ARK with its privilege system they would find out that you can invite people and have their access to the tribe loot/tames extremely limited as well as their ability to demo structures... until they earn trust.

3 hours ago, Zoopshab said:

WHAT? Lol. How do you get better at not being online when tribes attack you??

You need to learn how to defend your base. It's part of the game. You can either do nothing and keep getting wrecked, or you can try something different. Build in a different location. Build out of different materials. Tribe up with someone. Start using turrets. Get a few dimos and dilos inside your building. Anything.

Everyone in the game logs off at some point. Everyone can raid just as everyone can be raided. You need to put some thought into your base...especially if you're still building out of thatch or wood. If you don't want to do that then you don't want to play official PvP in Ark, and you should start looking for either an official PvE server, or a private PvP server with rules against offline raiding. (MANY exist)

What you've experienced is part of the game. You either give up because it's not easy, or you learn to play the game better. There are plenty of people willing to help you with tricks and tips all over this forum.

The first 2 months I played this game I only did PvP. Each day I would grind at least 8 hours just for the next morning to wake up to have gotten raided. Maybe two times out of those 2 months I played it was actually an online raid. Even so, what much good is thatch and wood going to do for lvl 60+ guys with metal everything. Since then I've stuck to pve.

We had a metal base with Behmouth gates, 8 turrets and 50+ plant x.  Came on to find out 6 guys all on dragons took it all out. We were in middle of nowhere, no one around, no resources near us that everyone needed. They just did it to do it i suppose. 

Now getting raided has happened many times for me, and I usually dont care about it, but this time, they took out the only 3 dinos I have ever taken the time to tame on officials. Ptera level 52, Diplo level 37 and a pair of Dodo's . Tell me how is that fun, those should give you a sign that we arent very developed. 

Oh well, time to move to PVE server i think, too many trolls and AssHats out here these days. 

2 hours ago, Ulta said:

Many people have lives you know. Sometimes they have something more important to do than logging onto ARK. Like going to their job, or taking care of a demanding baby, family obligations, doing stuff that a normal person of society needs to do to LIVE in the real world.

If ARK didn't have a PVE mode or a modding community, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be as well liked or played as much as it is now.

If you have other stuff too do other then ark..

1. Dont complain about being offline raided.

2. Join a tribe or get some freinds

3. Play dedicated,

4. Play PVE

5. Cry in your bed

9 minutes ago, MaHaBe said:

We had a metal base with Behmouth gates, 8 turrets and 50+ plant x.  Came on to find out 6 guys all on dragons took it all out. We were in middle of nowhere, no one around, no resources near us that everyone needed. They just did it to do it i suppose. 

Now getting raided has happened many times for me, and I usually dont care about it, but this time, they took out the only 3 dinos I have ever taken the time to tame on officials. Ptera level 52, Diplo level 37 and a pair of Dodo's . Tell me how is that fun, those should give you a sign that we arent very developed. 

Oh well, time to move to PVE server i think, too many trolls and AssHats out here these days. 

Lul, If thats all you tamed you need to just quit pvp its not for you. 

You should have had dodos, dilos, and maybe a lystro. You clearly dont know how to devote your time in ark. Its a learning process. Dont waste your time taming things if you dont have a base to protect them. 

I see so many peope cry they got wiped out and there 40 tames died when they had 4 plants up. I litterally walk up to plants and pull the fert out. 

Tame worker dinos first, get kibble for worker dinos and focus on base defense before you go tame something which is worthless to you for the time being. 

Lets see takes Dodo eggs to get Ptera Kibble, sooo that would seem to be the first place to start so you can move around. Because no matter where you first log in, you most likly wont be able to survive in that spot. 

Diplo was just cause it was there.

And sure I might not be a expert at PVP, but have been playing this game since it first launched and no the basics and yes workers should be the first, but in Officals, it just takes way too long for those of us with a life outside of the gaming world. 

The point is, there was no need to destroy us, we didnt pose a threat, we didnt block anything, and if we had been online, we might not have stopped them, but it sure would have been a hell of a lot more fun than logging in to a dead body and a destroyed base.

Archived