Best shoulder Dino?

LegenDairy

It really depends on which Map you are playing and which biome you are spending the most time in. Plus it depends on what you are doing.

SE - it is hard to beat a jerboa, to warn you about those nasty storms.

Other Maps - I prefer the Dimorph - but the Vulture is good too.  I think the MicroRaptor has its value too, but they are pain to bred/raise the little buggers.

I see a lot of people talking about the Otter, but since I am on PS4, the Otter isn't out yet. OR if it is, I cannot find one.

4 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Well damn!  I searched high and low for Ovis and Otters over the last 2 weeks, and have't seen either one! Curse my luck!

Haha lets be honest alot of this game requires alot of luck, normally I dont have that much luck. Otters are deffinatly rarer than ovis. You play ragnarok right ? I would suggest getting over to the ruins (where the artifact of the skylord is) in that small lake just SW of viking bay next to the snow biome bit. Murder all the fish in that lake and slighly down stream too as the otters share the spawns with the fishes. Tamed three there on the small dedicated server my brother and his friends have set up.

5 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Haha lets be honest alot of this game requires alot of luck, normally I dont have that much luck. Otters are deffinatly rarer than ovis. You play ragnarok right ? I would suggest getting over to the ruins (where the artifact of the skylord is) in that small lake just SW of viking bay next to the snow biome bit. Murder all the fish in that lake and slighly down stream too as the otters share the spawns with the fishes. Tamed three there on the small dedicated server my brother and his friends have set up.

I'll give that a try tonight. I tamed a 135 Female Rex last night, and as  I was walking her home, I saw a 135 male Rex in that same lake area. So I was planning on going back tonight. ( I ran out of tranq darts ... literally dropped the female with my 2nd to last dart! 

I'll take my Pelagornis out to clear the fishes. And hope an otter appears

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

there isnt a shoulder buddy that you can take underwater for extended periods right ? They all have oxygen stats right ?

didnt see a response to this, so....as far as i am aware as long as the pet is on your shoulder it will not drown regardless of oxygen bar.

oh, and i like Jerbies on SE but otherwise its an otter ftw

#otterpower

5 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Especially when hunting dragon eggs :P My tribe mate found this one out the hard way when hunting eggs in the scar. Wasnt carrying a Jerboa and got caught out by a sandstorm right after taking an egg from a nest. He lost his 100% imprinted fire wyvern because a lightning wyvern caught him. He was gutted. I never go anywhere on scorched with out a Jerboa. Like getting in a car without putting on a seatbelt lol.

For me I never usually bothered with shoulder buddys outside of scorched but have taken to the otter recently mainly for looks aswell as that added insulation.

Just had a thought, there isnt a shoulder buddy that you can take underwater for extended periods right ? They all have oxygen stats right ? Now theres an idea for a new niche for a dino lol

Dimorphadons wont drown whilst on your shoulder...weird right?

14 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

didnt see a response to this, so....as far as i am aware as long as the pet is on your shoulder it will not drown regardless of oxygen bar.

oh, and i like Jerbies on SE but otherwise its an otter ftw

#otterpower

Oh I need to try this out tonight ! Cheers for the info. Otter it is for insulation when deep sea diving I guess. 

#vivalaotterlución

3 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

Dimorphadons wont drown whilst on your shoulder...weird right?

I need to stop making assumptions like this, hadn't even thought to try lol. 

On 9/30/2017 at 7:23 AM, LegenDairy said:

I play pve and I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be the best, I'm mostly looking for versatility over looks

Your best bet will be a dimo. Keep it on your should and it will save your butt, especially when you're on smaller dinos and get attacked. If you pass out in a cave, it will protect your body. Pair that with their fast breeding times and you can crank out an army of them, and they're really good to keep in your base for defense. 

Outside the dimo and the vulture, most of the other shoulder pets are more like vanity pets with party tricks.

Just now, AngrySaltire said:

Oh I need to try this out tonight ! Cheers for the info. Otter it is for insulation when deep sea diving I guess. 

#vivalaotterlución

I need to stop making assumptions like this, hadn't even thought to try lol. 

Lol...i'm not sure it works for all shoulder mounts but this is definitly a thing?

IMO there are only really 2 choices, vulture or dimorphodon, preferably vulture. 

They are the easiest tames and breeds in game (if you hatch any meat eater a vulture can raise on the spoilage!). 

Good defence and offence, and can level speed so a pack can follow your argy and at 22 dmg base a fast dimorph/vulture deadly to the unsuspecting pvp player.

And dimorphs do not drown, which I need to test with vultures.

Jerboas are trash, even on SE. If you are out, sandstorm is only an issue when being chased by a poison wyvern/alpha, any other Wyvern should be easy if your on a bred one. Heat is heat, good ghillie/desert cloth, fortitude orcustom consumables are an extremely easy solution for all. Lightning storms won't bother you. Plus a lot of people give warning in global.

Micro-raptors to me are a weak dimorphodon with sparkles, archeopteryx is a good parachute, monkey why are you transporting large quantities of stuff without a defensive tame to carry it (argy, Rex etc) and I've never had a problem with carrying things and I keep my carry weight at 500.

Hesperornis are good for killing fish..........need I say more. 

Otters can be useful for the mid level player, but fort/gear/custom consumables makes them redundant. 

1 minute ago, Saupe said:

IMO there are only really 2 choices, vulture or dimorphodon, preferably vulture. 

They are the easiest tames and breeds in game (if you hatch any meat eater a vulture can raise on the spoilage!). 

Good defence and offence, and can level speed so a pack can follow your argy and at 22 dmg base a fast dimorph/vulture deadly to the unsuspecting pvp player.

And dimorphs do not drown, which I need to test with vultures.

Jerboas are trash, even on SE. If you are out, sandstorm is only an issue when being chased by a poison wyvern/alpha, any other Wyvern should be easy if your on a bred one. Heat is heat, good ghillie/desert cloth, fortitude orcustom consumables are an extremely easy solution for all. Lightning storms won't bother you. Plus a lot of people give warning in global.

Micro-raptors to me are a weak dimorphodon with sparkles, archeopteryx is a good parachute, monkey why are you transporting large quantities of stuff without a defensive tame to carry it (argy, Rex etc) and I've never had a problem with carrying things and I keep my carry weight at 500.

Hesperornis are good for killing fish..........need I say more. 

Otters can be useful for the mid level player, but fort/gear/custom consumables makes them redundant. 

Lvl melee on a microraptor and you can knock a player out with ease as their attack deals torpor...?

On 10/1/2017 at 11:23 AM, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

How much insulation do you get from an otter? Do you now if any stat increases it at all?

Edit:wiki says it's melee dictates it's insulation so increasing it should increase its value..

Melee does in fact increase it, on the one I was testing I was getting 2 hypo and 1 hyper per point in put into melee so they can actually be helpful on SE however they ONLY eat fish (and cooked fish) so feeding them there can be a real chore. Otters also eat more than standard dinos, with a apetite closer to a quatzel.

On 2.10.2017 at 6:26 PM, Saupe said:

Vultures sure are easy to raise, but the dimos can carry stuff for you, that's why I like dimos better. 

I've been clearing the cave on SE where you have to crouch to get in with my tribemate. We both are not the best at jumping over insta-kill holes. We used the dimos to safely carry our stuff (ammo, shield, spare armor) in case one of us would fall down and lose all gear. (we made it to the other side alive but it still was good to know that most of the equip wouldn't have been lost)

On 4 October 2017 at 5:15 AM, Weiss said:

Vultures sure are easy to raise, but the dimos can carry stuff for you, that's why I like dimos better. 

I've been clearing the cave on SE where you have to crouch to get in with my tribemate. We both are not the best at jumping over insta-kill holes. We used the dimos to safely carry our stuff (ammo, shield, spare armor) in case one of us would fall down and lose all gear. (we made it to the other side alive but it still was good to know that most of the equip wouldn't have been lost)

I fully agree, my 1st post stated I only use Dimos or vultures and stat wise they are in early identical, vultures have ever so slightly higher attack range I believe. 

But yeah, breeding is so easy. I have a flock of 150+ vultures left since I stopped raising them (only 1 colour mutation in over 300 hatches, but red wings are awesome) and at least 50+ floating around the map from forgetful transferring etc.

However, if vultures have enough weight, they can harvest your gear from your body. Unlikely unless your doing stripped down cave runs tho due to low weight. 

15 vultures with 4-5k Hp and 700ish melee took me through nearly every cave without dying on legacy just before release. And you can easily get 4k hp 700 melee breeds, took me about 3 days taming every 100+ vulture I found.

Rag swamp cave is interesting now tho, I spend half my time unconscious as good riot is too expensive and a shield is too heavy for solo runs. Artheopleuras are the only thing that slow me, and that's just a case of stop, whistle attack my target and shoot it due to the buggy attack target whistle with them.

On ScorchedEarth I have a good level  imprinted Vulture on my shoulder for protection. Only 1900hp but 6000% melee : - D
On the other maps I have good imprinted dimorphs for protection, but with way less melee%
They're also good for hauling additional equipment around, just wondering where the player sticks all the sniper rifles and ammunition into that animal...

Archived