Do you consider the Island to be dead weight?

Rahthos

Is anyone else (especially those who host unofficial servers) upset about how the Island is the only map that lets you ascend? Since it's the oldest most people shy away from it, at least in the community I helped form. Our Center and SE servers are much more active and now there's quite a bit of interest in Ragnarok. I feel the Island suits the dinosaurs greatly, but the appeal is dying since so many have cleared through it by now. It kind of sucks to be pulling it around, simply because of ascension and one boss that lies on the horizon.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Would absolutely love if it was possible to ascend and effectively get tek on the Center or Ragnarok.

I share in the hopes that the Center and Ragnarok at the very least should be updated at some point to allow ALL of ARK's game mechanic's to be experienced. The Island isn't a bad map, but really the only reason I even moved from our Center server back to the Island is to experience all the content...not for the map itself. It's actually quite small and doesn't have many 'good' build spots (flat areas mostly since building with pillars is so flippin annoying for me). The Center map I found oddly delightful despite me thinking it was too hilly (the snow parts have some lovely building spots and then some). Ragnarok shows the most promise and I will move our server to that maybe upon the game's release...but I want all the content to be accessible there though =(

Really it should be a GIVEN that all of their maps should have official content...but sadly with how very behind the Center has been as far as all the content goes...it's STILL behind and I fear maybe WC will either never, or take forever in making sure all maps have the same 'endgame' content.

Well... my experience is different... I play on an Unofficial server cluster for 6 months, having all the three "old" official maps - Island, Center and SE.

It seems, the population of the Island is always the highest, then comes The Center (where I live) and SE is VERY sparesly populated, there used to be only small outposts, mostly for getting the Wyverns. So it looks like people in my country still prefer to play on Island.

We will soon introduce Ragnarok, but due hardware limitations we  had to dump one map - and the natural choice became the SE....

Indeed in and ideal world, all maps should have all the features, but realisticly, Center will never have proper possing, not to mention TEK caves as WC does not support it, and I think Ragnarok will be the same story...

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Rahthos said:

Is anyone else (especially those who host unofficial servers) upset about how the Island is the only map that lets you ascend? Since it's the oldest most people shy away from it, at least in the community I helped form. Our Center and SE servers are much more active and now there's quite a bit of interest in Ragnarok. I feel the Island suits the dinosaurs greatly, but the appeal is dying since so many have cleared through it by now. It kind of sucks to be pulling it around, simply because of ascension and one boss that lies on the horizon.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Would absolutely love if it was possible to ascend and effectively get tek on the Center or Ragnarok.

As Ragnarok and the center are not complete I would expect that you will get all those things eventually, but calling the map dead weight is just plain out of line. 

On 6/13/2017 at 7:39 PM, Rahthos said:

Dead weight? No.

In need of some more flat space to build? Yes.

Oh, and maybe some attempts to diversify some of the areas, add some neat "Havens" for specific dinos. Remember how there's Bear caves on the Center and Griffin Peaks on Ragnarok?

Just having biomes predominated by specific creatures would be great, especially for 150 searching. 

The Island sucks. The Center has so many better building spots, better resources, looks a lot nicer and is a lot bigger. I tried going back to the island but I just can't.
The Center just needs more support so it gets things the same day as The Island. This is totally unfair that it doesnt and is an official server that Island players can transfer too.

I like the idea of having to travel between maps to experience everything. Yes, it's less convenient, but lore-wise, I find it makes sense to be able to overcome multiple harsh environments to reach different rewards, wyverns on se, griffins on ragnarok, and finally ascension on the island. It's like an odyssey. Center needs some unique reward of its own though. 

Surprised to see so much support for the Island. It just goes to show that each community greatly varies. I find it very hard to get people interested in the Island, but I assume it's because most of us have explored it quite a bit. For me the Center is more scenic, has more resources and better spots to build. With that said, after seeing Ragnarok I have to say that it blows both of them completely out of the water.

I started on The Island years ago, it's still a great map and the best way to get the hang of Ark. The newbie zones are easy to build up in, everything is land-accessible, easy to raid the lowbie caves in the south and build up that way.

Came back a few weeks ago and my friend's private server was running The Center. Hated it. Troodons on the beaches where you start, have to cross water to do anything meaningful, and the only way to do that at lower level is with a no-stam Ptera, or build a raft that gets wrecked by a whale in minutes. Finally after a week of grind was able to build a tame cage on Half-Scorched to get an Argent/Rex and start exploring the map proper. Just an anti-fun map all around. 

Just started Ragnarok and it's much better overall. Less of the cancer dinos like Troodons, Theras and Pegos running around the beaches. Very pretty, doesn't require a flyer or a water mount to start exploring, immediate plus. 

On 6/13/2017 at 7:39 PM, Rahthos said:

Doesn't matter one bit to me if Ragnarok has ascension. If I wanted to do the challenge of that boss fight, I would play on the Island. Other than the challenge, it just provides a small reward plus more levels, right? Lots of admins already give players many more levels, so don't need that. I don't like to play in large tribes, so just don't do the boss fights at all anyway.

Archived