Let's talk about the Griffin

Ulta

On June 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM, BroJob said:

All i can say is f'ing typical!

First they nerf all flyers as it was a game breaking mechanic.....

Then the very next flyer they bring out....... is able to fly faster than all the others........ We really learn't nothing the first time round then.

Its also weaker than an argent and can only pick up small things and people. The momentum boost is nice and makes it unique 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2017 at 4:47 PM, Ulta said:

So far it looks liek a typical tranq and feed kind of tame. It eats meat. But this one I'm taming only got 69%. It could have gotten bit though, some dilo's attacked while trying to tame it. It took like...10 darts to knock out a lvl 4. A high level one would probably need a LOT more. 4 Raw prime tamed it in about 10-15 minutes, maybe less.

I also discovered a new meta...you can WIELD guns on it's back...the first flyer to allow you to fire AND drive it. Gasp. This is how you down Quetzal now xD

A level 4... isn't it hard to test the ones at the lowest settings because you'll use up most of the stam on just the lift off? :P 

9 hours ago, Yig said:

Biggest game changer on a Griff is the ability to use a weapon on the back. Personally, I kinda feel the Griffin getting a passenger slot feels very odd to me. Without that, it wouldn't seem to similar at all to a Tapj.

I actually like that u can shoot from the back of a griff though, you can finally tame a Quetz solo without luck or weird gimmicks. Oddly enough though, the tap was the previous method of taming a quetz though short a argent carrying someone.

Hopefully I'll never have to grappling hook myself to a pteranodon or whistle command a tappy again! xD 

Lets be honest, solo-taming a quetz prior to Griffin wasn't fun, enjoyable, or even something that you felt good about after (on a console anyways see below). It was awkward and over complicated and prone to things going wrong. I tried numerous times and eventually just traded for one. I was so happy I did. Not that I couldn't as much as I didn't have time since I only ever get to play for maybe two or three hours max at a time. It would take that long just to down it (including base maintenance, prepping for tame, finding quetz, knocking it out with nothing going wrong, etc.) I tried a few times with grapple hook then another time with tape. The grapple probably would have been fine but the lag on the server at that time was so bad that none of my hits were registering and I kept running out of my tranq darts. I was very close and was not missing. I believe whistle commands work better on PC as I watch youtube videos of them using them and on PS4 it doesn't work that well. I use them A LOT. Example being (may have changed I haven't tried in three/four weeks) if I am sitting on front seat of tape and tape is on ground and I whistle to move into air it just walks, doesn't take off. So that's as far as my attempt got and I decided I was going to buy a quetz haha.

17 hours ago, SirPeter said:

Lets be honest, solo-taming a quetz prior to Griffin wasn't fun, enjoyable, or even something that you felt good about after (on a console anyways see below). It was awkward and over complicated and prone to things going wrong. I tried numerous times and eventually just traded for one. I was so happy I did. Not that I couldn't as much as I didn't have time since I only ever get to play for maybe two or three hours max at a time. It would take that long just to down it (including base maintenance, prepping for tame, finding quetz, knocking it out with nothing going wrong, etc.) I tried a few times with grapple hook then another time with tape. The grapple probably would have been fine but the lag on the server at that time was so bad that none of my hits were registering and I kept running out of my tranq darts. I was very close and was not missing. I believe whistle commands work better on PC as I watch youtube videos of them using them and on PS4 it doesn't work that well. I use them A LOT. Example being (may have changed I haven't tried in three/four weeks) if I am sitting on front seat of tape and tape is on ground and I whistle to move into air it just walks, doesn't take off. So that's as far as my attempt got and I decided I was going to buy a quetz haha.

Yea but getting that first quetzal is supposed to be a challenge.

I have fond memories of my first. Flying a ptera from hill to hill and making incredible shots till it dropped.

That was a nerve wracking yet exciting and rewarding moment in my ark history.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:34 AM, Shayne1973 said:

Yea but getting that first quetzal is supposed to be a challenge.

I have fond memories of my first. Flying a ptera from hill to hill and making incredible shots till it dropped.

That was a nerve wracking yet exciting and rewarding moment in my ark history.

Completely agree. But it wasn't developer intended challenges. It was unregistered shots wasting all my tranq darts, Quetz would disappear after a 45 sec - 5 min lag stall, or a number of other problems directly or indirectly related to the performance issues of the server. That's why I said it wasn't because I couldn't do it but I didn't have that much time to spend trying to. Not being able to accomplish something due to the lag isn't what I would consider a challenge. Its a waste of time. So that's why I traded for one. I would roll up with hundreds of tranq darts trying to be prepared for many of the shots not to register, follow the quetz around until I ran out of darts or it would "teleport" away after a long pause. After doing this several times I got tired of wasting time to end up with nothing. If everything worked I honestly don't think it would be that hard. I don't think it would be easy but it wouldn't be hard at all. The hardest part would be downing it somewhere safe and protecting it before something happened. Everything else would have been easy. I can say this because I tried it on single player and succeeded my first try.

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Does anyone know how their stamina fairs? If they are going to be used to tame quetzals I would like to know if it can be downed in 1 go or if you need to land a couple of times.

Depends on what you use. You could do it with high dmg longneck and shock darts, but with arrows it might take a few landings. Stamina drains kinda fast

Griffins are amazing, i want to get some backup ones, since i cant breed them. The damage they do on the divebomb is amazing, the regular attack is kind of lack luster. But the ability to use them to tame is also great, got out of some sticky situations. My biggest gripe, is their massive healthpool and lack of saddle, because of this they can take a lot of damage because of the health, but their dependence on meat to heal is a huge downer, we play on a max 480 pretame server, so its several hours to heal it up after a fight, which isnt so much a problem with the Griffin itself, but the mechanics of healing a meat eater so its pretty brutal. Saddles would be great for these.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 5:51 PM, BobRoss said:

Does anyone know how their stamina fairs? If they are going to be used to tame quetzals I would like to know if it can be downed in 1 go or if you need to land a couple of times.

they are compareable to Wyverns staminawise, so you might wanna spent somewhere between 10 and 30 points depending on your preferences, since its not much of a fighter anyways might aswell go decent stamina,  

Archived