The new sounds effect feedback

Lewiatan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am disgusted by what they did to the rex. The foot steps sound like a toddler playing with a toy drum. The chomping and biting sounds may as well be me crunching on crisps. And the roar? That sound that once used to be frightening and impressive? Well now thats just the sound of someone using a vacuum cleaner. It's NOT scary or impressive in any way. It's just pathetic for a rex.

The female survivor sounds? You have got to be kidding me with these. Am I running, chopping wood, and getting hungry... or am I engaging in sexual acts? Seriously. Because it honestly sounds like my survivor is getting it on with an invisible partner. Who moans sensually when they are hungry?! These sounds are just, to be quite blunt, gross.

Mammoth. Ok, I kind of like the mammoth. The deep rumbling is a nice ambient sound when he's just chilling around the base, and I admit the softer footfall sound are more befitting an animal with large padded feet... although I miss knowing my big buddy is still following behind me since I can no longer hear him coming. 

Not even sure which sound is coming from my quetzals and which are coming from the pteras. Do the tapejara even make sounds now? I can't tell. The flyer barn is just one massive cacophony of screeches that all sound the same to me. I miss the definite distinction of the sounds. At least before you KNEW who/what was being attacked. Heard a squawk, knew it was the quetzal. Now it's a guessing game as to whose butt is being nibbled on by something. 

11 hours ago, Scotty8319 said:

I am disgusted by what they did to the rex. The foot steps sound like a toddler playing with a toy drum. The chomping and biting sounds may as well be me crunching on crisps. And the roar? That sound that once used to be frightening and impressive? Well now thats just the sound of someone using a vacuum cleaner. It's NOT scary or impressive in any way. It's just pathetic for a rex.

The female survivor sounds? You have got to be kidding me with these. Am I running, chopping wood, and getting hungry... or am I engaging in sexual acts? Seriously. Because it honestly sounds like my survivor is getting it on with an invisible partner. Who moans sensually when they are hungry?! These sounds are just, to be quite blunt, gross.

Mammoth. Ok, I kind of like the mammoth. The deep rumbling is a nice ambient sound when he's just chilling around the base, and I admit the softer footfall sound are more befitting an animal with large padded feet... although I miss knowing my big buddy is still following behind me since I can no longer hear him coming. 

Not even sure which sound is coming from my quetzals and which are coming from the pteras. Do the tapejara even make sounds now? I can't tell. The flyer barn is just one massive cacophony of screeches that all sound the same to me. I miss the definite distinction of the sounds. At least before you KNEW who/what was being attacked. Heard a squawk, knew it was the quetzal. Now it's a guessing game as to whose butt is being nibbled on by something. 

I didn't get a chance to try these until last night, and I agree with all the negative comments on the rex sounds for sure. The foot stomps are pathetic, and the roar needs to have more bass and be louder. 

It seems like there are more random sounds each dino makes? Which isn't a bad thing, but some of the sounds just don't make sense. They sound like they're in battle or getting hurt.

Let me start by saying that the new wolf sounds are much better. Only thing that could be improved is making the howl Last longer. 

Improvements to be made IMO:

Rexes - The changes on this one are mixed.. For one, the bite sounds are decent, though they could have some more punch. Walking I'm indifferent. But the roar... You killed the Rex roar. My tribemate renamed one of my Rexes "roars like a pussycat" before the patch. I let his name stay like that because well.. It's true. 

Ptera: I like the creature sound, sounds more realistic. But I think the flapping sounds are off, when I hear them it feels like I'm riding a huge, cumbersome flyer. Pteras are more lightweight and fragile, sounds should be changed to match that. 

Quetzal - please for the love of god bring back the old sounds, especially the ockockock... The new sounds are awful. And I loved the ockockock. Sometimes I even got near my quetzals just to hear it. Especially the babies. Baby ockockock made me feel fuzzy inside. And I'm a man, not many things can make me feel fuzzy inside. 

• Wildcard Staff

Hey everyone! My name is Stephen Baker. I am the Audio Director for Studio Wildcard.  I have been reading all of the feedback from these forums, reddit and twitch. It's a pleasure to listen to the community speak so much about audio. This patch was a big patch for sound, eh? Well the next few patches are going to be big as well! Many more creatures are going to have new sounds along with weapons, tools, items, structures, etc. I look forward to seeing more discussion as new content continues to roll out.

Thank you Lewiatan for detailing your thoughts so thoroughly. And thanks to all who gave critique. I am in the process of revising sounds based on your feedback.

i dont particularly care for the new ptera sounds it sounds too big personally i think it should make clicking noises kind of like a dolphin.

also the argentavis should sound more raspy and harsh than shrill as despite how it appears in ark it still is technically a giant vulture it should sound like one.

So I decided to give some time to each of the critters that got new sounds to get a more thorough opinion of each.  Here goes:

Dodo: I'd say I slightly prefer the old sounds, if only because they were a bit cuter.  The new ones aren't bad though.

Raptor: Not a fan of any of the new sounds, honestly.  The old screeches and growls had way more character.  All the new ones sound like it's trying to cough up a hairball or something.

Quetzal: I think this is the worst of the bunch.  I absolutely adored the old "awkawkawkawk" idle sound, and the old attack, grab, takeoff, hurt, and alarm sounds were all so perfectly fitting.  The new sounds are all just so... monstrous sounding and really don't fit in the slightest.

Parasaur: The hippo sounds for the attack seem a bit awkward, but it's not bad.  I do very much miss the old honks for their idle and alarm sounds, though.  Those were two of the most iconic sounds in the game, IMO.

Rex: The roar is seriously lacking in power and pretty much inferior to the old one in every way.  I realize the new one is more realistic, but Ark has always run on Rule of Cool, and the new roar is a great deal less cool than the old.  The new attack sound feels very lacking as well, like it's just half-heartedly taking a bite of food instead of actually attacking.

Trike: They're fine now, though the walking sounds sound like they're from a creature a third its size.

Pteranodon: I kinda preferred the old wheezy screech sound they made, but the new sounds overall aren't bad.  I think they sound a bit too similar to the Pelagornis now, though.

Dilo: They're... really quiet now, so it's hard to say what I think of them, really.  I will say that I enjoyed the old sounds a lot, though.  The warbling idle sound was cute.

Direwolf: Definite improvement.  The attack sound is appropriately vicious, as opposed to the old one which just sounded like the neighbor's dog barking at me.  Good job on this one.

Compy: They sound super cute now.  The only thing that sounds a bit off is the hurt sound, which reminds me a bit too much of a seagull or something and doesn't sound very distressed.  But yeah, another good job overall on this one.

Dung Beetle: I think their old sounds were just recycled from some of the other bugs anyway, right?  So yeah, this is pretty much an improvement by default.

Argent: Eh.  Some of the sounds are okay, many aren't.  I think the one that bugs me the most is the eating sound.  It's just way out of place for a bird.  I think the biggest problem is that most of them just seem mixed very awkwardly.  Overall I much prefer the old sounds.

Pachy: Like Dilos, they seem super quiet now so it's hard to really judge.  I did like the old sounds, since I'm pretty sure they were just modified goat sounds which was fitting for a creature that goes around headbutting things.

Mammoth: I'm the most pleased with this one out of all of them.  It's pretty much perfect now, what with the very appropriate use of actual elephant sounds.  10/10 here.

4 hours ago, SBaker said:

Hey everyone! My name is Stephen Baker. I am the Audio Director for Studio Wildcard.  I have been reading all of the feedback from these forums, reddit and twitch. It's a pleasure to listen to the community speak so much about audio. This patch was a big patch for sound, eh? Well the next few patches are going to be big as well! Many more creatures are going to have new sounds along with weapons, tools, items, structures, etc. I look forward to seeing more discussion as new content continues to roll out.

Thank you Lewiatan for detailing your thoughts so thoroughly. And thanks to all who gave critique. I am in the process of revising sounds based on your feedback.

You're welcome. :)

You may also rethink how often the human character makes grunt noises while hitting rocks and harvesting materials in general. Sometimes it feels unatural. 

Also, when you fly on any bird you can hear growls does not belong to them. It is believed that's a sound of another land creature that it is within your render distance. You may look at this. 

Oh, one more thing about argentavis. When they eat you hear the sound twice, but the bird does eating animation once. A bit of tweaking is needed there.

Regarding raptors and Trexes, it's hard to make something different that pleases ears, because we all have Jurassic Park sounds coded in our memory ;) That JP Trex roar...

Overall, you have very responsible task, because you're the one who makes ARK animals believable and immersive. If I had more thoughts about these new sounds, I would update opening post. In the future I'll create another thread about new sounds effects if the further patches have some.

Good luck!

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, theronin said:

Since you play PVE and raise dodos all day on an ORP protected private server where everyone sings koombaya and gloats over how much cooked fish meat they can bring, sure, allow me to educate you.

After so many hours in Ark, the sounds are a tactical advantage.  In official PVP, running around like a PVE noob with your torch is a sure sign of getting killed, or worse, captured.  Yes, we play without torches or any light source at night - PVP has gotten to that.  So by knowing every bit of sound by memory, you already know what dinos are nearby and whether you ought to be worried.  The last thing I need are for dodos to be making what sounds like human whistling to throw me off - especially since my ptera can barely fly three feet without being more of a giant hinderance with wings than a useful dino.

If you need me to school you on anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

are you really bragging over light discipline? stop being such a try hard and turn the gamma up :Jerblove:

On 5.4.2017 at 0:55 AM, Lewiatan said:

Also, when you fly on any bird you can hear growls does not belong to them. It is believed that's a sound of another land creature that it is within your render distance. You may look at this. 

Most people assume it's a dying Chalicotherium. I have to kill one later to confirm if they're the same sounds.

I have some thoughts to put out on some of the new dino sounds.

Ptera- I find the sounds good, the flying throws me off a bit however. Its sounds a bit too rubbery and heavy sounding, making it sound a bit flappier and light would be good.

Dodo- Sounds a little too much like a monkey in my opinion and I think it could use more of a little higher pitched chirp or something...more bird like. Otherwise it's pretty good and cute.

Quetz- I like the taking off sound but the attacking and grabbing sounds sound weird.  The bite has a slight metalic clang at the end. Not my favorite sounds so far.

Parasaur- I like it a lot!

Pachy- Not sure, sounds fine to me. The attacking sound is a little weird with the almost coughing/choking like sound but its alright otherwise.

Trike- The walking/running is too light and floppy sounding, I feel it should be more heavy and stompish like.

Mammoth- Pretty great!

Raptor- The attacking sound is a bit soft and sounds likes a chair being scooted against the floor...I feel it needss more of a gnashing/slashing of teeth and or hiss/growl to it. Idle sounds good.

Direwolf- This is the most pleasing update of the creature sounds. The attack is better without the barking. And that howl is great but sounds cut off too short, could it be a bit longer? Though the sounds are great, the attack still does have a slight problem, it's muffled sounding and should have a little bit more of the snarl/growl in there I feel. I'm not sure, the attack sound is off somewhere but otherwise absolutely great!

Compy- It's good but something feels off and seems like the sound isn't coming from it. I'm not really sure, can't put my finger on it. Its cute though and I like it.

Argentavis- I like the sounds but they are a little wimpy sounding, too soft and not as I'd expect to come from a big bird like an Argent. It could use more intense shrieking/squawking maybe.

Rex- Pretty good but that roar could really use a more deep, throaty, ferocious roar and amping up, its pretty quiet and not as big or intense. The chomp/crunch sounds a little silly and feels like it needs to be like the old bite a bit with a slight growl/hiss mixed in it sound more like a giant meat eating machine than someone snacking on some chips or crackers. The walking is little quiet and muffled...I would like a more heavy and ground shaking/trembling sound like before. Not like the old one exactly, some of them but obciously newer and stuff.

If and when you get to the Giga..please oh please make it epic and ferocius and bigger sounding than the rex, that roar right now is funny actually. Not like mean funny but its funny hearing a little noise like that coming from a Giga you know, I feel that it should be even bigger sounding than the rex and in some of the ways I mentioned haha.

Great job overall!  Looking forward to all the new sounds creatures will make. :D

Yeah the growl sound that the op is mentioning is I think the sound of Chalicoterium. Some of the bird sounds are like recording from random nature area and quickly put together they are not clear as in there is backround stuff in some of them. 

New rex sound is okish. 

I like the idea of animal walking on different material causing sounds. 

Archived