So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Hello again,

my recent episode of Ark started out pretty bad. I set out to tame another Iguana, which wasn't much of a problem. However I was forced to quit the game for a while and leave the team out at the taming grounds. Thus I decided to shutdown the server to prevent anything bad from happening. When I logged back on, my character was insta-killed. It had happened before, but I never understood why. So I respawned and walked out to the taming group. Then I realized what had happened. My character (the dead body) was below the surface. That's the reason I died instantly. Now what about all the stuff I was carrying? I mentioned I had much improved gear since I hit those two alphas in the last episode. No way I'd loose that. So it was admin-commands again. So bad, really. I seriously don't want to use the cheat-commands, but how should I go about these technical problems the game is throwing at me?
Even with half a dozen admin commands it was still a hell of a trip to get the equipment back. And then deactivating all the cheats again is another trip around the barn. Well... cutting a long story short, I eventually got everything and moved my taming-group back to base.

While doing so, I noticed a Therezino around the area. Not a good one, but I had always wanted to tame one of these and this was almost the first I could lay my hands on. So I returned with my Ptera after delivering the taming-group to the base and kited the Theri to my taming pen. Took a bit of practice (hadn't done that before) but eventually I got it done. Rest was a piece of cake. Switched to a primitive crossbow (no use for additional damage when taming) and was able to tame without any additional narcotics. So that's one long time goal achieved. Hooray!!! Just as the Carno, it doesn't have any reasonable stats, yet, but I'll get him somewhere and it'll be awesome.

Did a fair bit of scouting after that. Had heard of metal-rich stones not too far from my base and actually did find them. Unfortunately all I have right now is my Ptera, since I can't get a ground-team to that area. There's a Spino patrolling the waters I have to cross and those guys are quite tough. Maybe some other time. So I scouted a little further and was flying over two water based sarcos, when the game disconnected. That didn't bide well for the next login. As expected I was dismounted and fell to the water. It took only seconds until I was attacked. Fighting a sarco head to head in the water is more than a tough challenge to me. Also I didn't have any serious armor, since I was saving weight for the Ptera. Just some fiber, which is close to nothing. As you might have guessed, I couldn't put up much resistance. At least I managed to climb a large rock before I eventually died. I was upset. Second time the game kicked my butt for technical reasons. Didn't hesitate much - I wanted my gear back and I wasn't guilty of loosing it. So I went for the admin-commands again. That way it wasn't much of a hassle to get everything back. Luckily my Ptera was still around the area and had actually taken to fighting the sarcos AND succeeded. Good thing I had leveled some health when leveling.

Next I chose to scout in the other direction. No, I wasn't finished, yet. And again, I went out with my Ptera, only. A long time ago I had tamed a Tapejara in that direction (and almost immediately lost it to my inexperience) and I was curious if I'd see another and maybe lay my hands on it. I passed the area where I had tamed the last one without seeing anything worth noting. So I took it a little further. On a river bank I found a sarco and a Parasaur in close proximity without anything happening. Now that was weird and I decided to investigate. It turned out they both were stuck in some trees. So that was an easy tame and since the sarco was actually above lvl 100 (that's pretty decent for my area) I went straight for the task. The sarco went down really easy - I was surprised how little it took to render it unconscious. So I dumped some serious meat into it's inventory and scouted the area for any possible disturbances. The few threats were easily disposed and gave me back some of the meat I had dumped on the sarco. All I had to do was sit and wait, but that seemed a little too dull and I went out a little further. Good thing - because I found my "next level Ptera" there. The one I'm using now has leveled up nicely and is quite usable, but it could be much better still. Taming was easy (as expected) and once I had it down and fed I collected the sarco. The stats weren't as good as I had hoped for, but hey... my very first sarco and it was already above level 100. Could have been much worse. Only worry was that it had to travel home mostly land- and water based and not in the safety of a flying creature. So our little trio set out homewards. There was an interruption when the sarco came across a Theri, but it was very low level and with some air-support the Theri was easily taken out. The rest of the trip was even smoother than that and this time all my worries were for naught. Biggest problem was that the sarco had much trouble passing through trees (like the place it got stuck in the first place), but with a few extra circles that could be handled as well.

So now I have a few new toys to play with. Sweet. I'll keep you posted as to how they evolve.

BTW - you remember the high-level trike I mentioned in one of the earlier posts? It hits really hard doing 400 damage one hit. Amazing.

Now I'm tired and need to rest just as well as my buddies (I suppose).

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Eleusius.

P.S.: I forgot to tell you a whole chapter of this episode. I had for a long timed eyed a swampy area near my base that typically has a bunch of beavers and dams in it. I had been curious to raid one of them, despite the fact that I knew it was a dangerous task. But with a flyer, I might as well have a chance to get away before things got too hot. Well, at least I would try it. So I set out for that swamp and positioned myself in a watch-spot to survey the area. To my disappointment I didn't spot any beavers or dams this time. Nor much of the other stuff I had encountered in the area before. No sarcos, no kapros. Just a snake - they are pretty common here. Well, I took my time. Night fell. I watched. When the next morning dawned I finally spotted a beaver, most of the time under water. It was pretty low-level, too, so I might be able to tank a hit or two before taking off. Another survey of the area didn't show any other dangers. Surprising. But I hadn't spotted any beaver-dam, yet, either. Finally I found it, completely under water. Now ... where was that beaver again? This was tedious. I searched. And then there it was, under water again... and unconscious? I verified. Yes, it was completely unconscious with no reason anywhere around. All the better. So I took the shortest route to the dam and dived. There it was, all the little treasures. Took the paste, dropped the wood and off I went, straight to my flyer and up up and away. It worked!!! Hooray! Now I've got some supply of paste :) Can't believe how lucky I was.

Edited by Eleusius
  • Like 4

Today I decided that I'm tired of having my stone cliff platform with its "wooden" decay timer, so I logged onto my CI character and went to the Eldritch Isle to get blue gems. It was relatively uneventful: I mined gems, threw out everything other than blue ones, killed a carno to get a new pick, got electrocuted a bunch of times. Then I finally got my 200 gems, and uploaded them, along with a 200-something flak pants BP I found.

Plans for the rest of my day: get the gems with my Valguero character, gather mats for and make: a new indy forge, a new chem bench, a new fabricator (the grinder can wait), so that I'll have everything ready for when I install the new platform and build my new workshop on it.

Grinder doesn't wait. Grinder will be made as soon, as I get final 20 ingots. Everything else is already made. Every resource, item, or BP placed into the inventories on my high-weight dinos, waiting until I'll have boxes for it all again. Every crafting station taken down, except for the fabricator which I need for the grinder. Very productive day.

I don't remember how I placed the platform the first time, but I don't seem to be able to do that with the means available to me (flyers and deinons) this time. Back to CI, then. This time for green gems, to make some climbing picks.

Got gems. Made picks. Climbing is fun, but I still can't place my platform. Which is weird because the cliff is definitely appropriate - I already had a platform on it before, just a stone one.

The problem was another tribe's pillar just a tiny bit in the range of that one small portion of the cliff where the platform can be placed. Fortunately, my base location is good, with not one, not two, but THREE cliffs, so I just hat to pick another one. Sure, I'll have to build a new elevator, but at least now it'll lead to a shiny new metal cliff platform!

Started building the workshop. Right now it's just some triangle foundations with indy forge roughly in the center. I'll build the rest tomorrow. Or some other time when I feel like doing it.

Decided not to wait until tomorrow. Finished the foundations and illumination (1 omnidirectional lamppost in each corner or near corner), started walls, placed all crafting stations and boxes (gonna replace some with vaults later).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

it's been a loooooooooooooong journey...

Today I decided that I absolutely needed a Cryopod. Imagining I'd eventually find and even tame a Doedi or other very useful non-flying creature and then being unable to bring it back home was too much of a burden. So... what would I have to do to get a pod? Well.... not so easy (at my stage). Among other things I needed some Polymer and that meant I had to travel all the way to the other side of the world... er pardon... the island... The Island!... and try to harvest some Polymer from the Kairuku. After the little experience I had had so far, that was a serious task.I had never been anywhere like that and I didn't have any protection against the cold and whatever else I might encounter along the way. But what the heck... others have done it and so would I. Or at least give it a shot. I picked up whatever supplies I would need for the pod (as far as I had them) and things I considered useful along the journey, mounted my Ptera (still the old one. The new one isn't usable, yet. The default stat-distribution was simply too bad to use it straight away. So despite being of higher level than the one I'm using right now, it's much worse. But it'll improve much faster than the one I'm using now and thus become better eventually). Just me and my Ptera on a big expedition. I was curious how that would turn out.

To make sure I was doing the right thing I flew to the Obelisk first, since that's the place these things can be crafted. There are no supply-drops on my server, so that's not an option and the third possibility is way out of reach for my humble little self. When I got there, I couldn't find the right crafting menu. All I saw was the portal-fabrication and the upload-options, but I failed to see any other production possibilities. Took me a little time to find the right place or rather procedure to do this, but eventually I made it. I verified the requirments and was satisfied that polymer was indeed the only supply I was missing from the list. So I turned north towards the snow biome (which - of course - was way out of sight). It would be a long journey for sure.

Occasionally I checked what creatures I came along. Most of them I had seen before, most frequent probably trikes. They've been frequent everywhere I've been so far -  it seems to be quite a versatile or at least adaptable creature. Almost as common as trikes were Pteras, pretty much all of them below level 50, not worth a second inspection. Thus I was even more surprised when I eventually came across a level 200 Ptera. That was promising - I wouldn't pass by this creature without at least attempting to tame it. But to use a bola, first of all I'd have to meet the creature on ground and not in the air. From there on, things should be pretty easy. But yeah - sometimes the game seems to be mind-reading. The Ptera was flying straight up, then straight down again. This behaviour repeated for a few minutes and all I could do is follow suit and wait for a chance. And it came. The Ptera landed and so did I, equipped the bolas and hit it straight from a short distance. The crossbow with Everything easy. So I robbed some meat from my own flyer and tamed the buddy up. Amazing 270+ levels! And yeah - it did have some stats. This one was definitely usable right away, although some improvements would certainly benefit the overall experience. So from here on, we were a team of two flyers. Nice. Only drawback was that my two buddies had to share the rations. Thus I raided a few herbivores along the way to fill up my supplies and offer decent amounts to both. After all, especially the new one needed to heal up after the taming. It was somewhat surprising to see how few creatures live on the west coast. But I got my supplies and we had traveled some distance while gathering them.

Eventually I arrived at the last spot of land without snow. I had already watched some videos about that area characterizing it as the "mosh-pit", because it had so many spawns right there and creatures were continually fighting each other. I picked a safe spot, rested and watched the scene. It wasn't as remarkable as in the video, but I had a bunch of "first sights". A couple of Argys among them, a pack of Hyenas that was one after another consumed by an impressive Rex and a pack of Allos - well, the Rex and the Allos no longer a first sight, but still a very rare sight for me. And finally I was in spotting range of the snow-biome. It had taken my little party some serious time to get here.

Then I started off for my first trip over. I immediately started freezing. Well I knew it would cause increased food consumption, so I had brought some. That didn't worry me. I was worried for other effects it might have. Then I arrived on the first snow-island and to my disappointment didn't spot any Kairuku. But there was a lot of oil to be had, so I took some and put it on my spare Ptera and went back to the mosh-pit to warm up. I had noticed some health-reduction, but for short trips like this one it wasn't too bad. So I rested some and took a little extra-tour of the area to finally (!!!) spotted my first Doedi. I had no means to tame it right there and no pod, yet, to transport it. So I left it be. It was sort of low-level, too, but I was so happy to finally see one. To me, strangely, they are so far among the rarest creatures on my Ark. I had even spotted a Titanosaurus before, but no Doedi. I also spotted some silica perls and took them with me. Nice. Resources were definitely going up this time.

Then I made my next trip to the snow-biome and finally spotted some Kairuku next to the "oil-island" of my last visit. They're just too small to be seen from some distance, so I had to bring up the courage to move near the next larger floe to be successful. I happily gathered some Polymer, while feeling pity for the poor little Kairuku who hadn't behaved ill towards me. But well... I needed their stuff, so to say. Surviving has other rules than society. Unfortunately.

So with all my new resources I finally embarked on the way back, routing over the next obelisk. Crafting the pod wasn't a problem anymore and so I went home with "mission accomplished". Yay!

There are a few small  intermezzi I want to share with you, too, since this time also, things didn't go without problems and the above report is a little too shiny to be true.

First I happened to find an explorer note on a small ridge at the west end of the island. Quite a small spot, but you could either drop to it from above (not too high) or land on it. I unfortunately decided to land on it - which wasn't the problem, but then erroneously decided to get off my mount to read it. That was a bad idea, since it made me fall from the ridge. there should be a way to get off your mount without jumping 2 meters to the side... Not too bad, because I landed in the water and fortunately the area was clear of predators. So I was able to climb out and with some clairvoyance or maybe just foresight had set my Ptera to "follow" me, so it came down to pick me up. Phuh... so, up again, this time drop from the ridge and read. It wasn't an easy read, since the background kept switching colours and it was a strange font and I had to adjust the size to even see it all. And then, when I was almost finished reading, I fell off the ridge again. WHY? The display said I had killed myself. I don't get it. I was just reading! So I respawned at my base and cheated my way back to the ridge, picked up my gear and went on without taking another peek at the note.

The other intermezzo is just about me being stupid. I sometimes hit the wrong keys. Normally there's nothing bad about that, but if you're flying high and hit that dismount-key, you're certainly not in the best situation. I was lucky to be flying above the ocean at the time when it happened, so I didn't die at the spot. I even made it to the next floe without being attacked. So far, so good. So I checked on my party. The following Ptera (the one without a saddle) was hovering near by, but the one I was flying still hovered high above me with no intent to leave that position. This time, unfortunately, I had removed the "following" option (at some point the buddy had simply gotten on my nerves flying above me all the time) so there was no change to be expected. I tried to whistle. Nothing. Change groups and whistle again. Nothing. Aim better and whistle again. Nothing. There was nothing I could do to make it move. That struck me as a disappointment and serious danger. I was stranded on an ice-floe with an unmountable flyer (no saddle) and no means to change my situation. Well, I had cheated before, but this time it was my own stupidity and not the games fault to make me do it. I reconsidered my options. I didn't want to cheat. But the next non-freezing island in range was the mosh-pit and I certainly didn't want to go there on foot. Also I expected the waters around this area to be more dangerous than in my homelands - despite the fact that I have found danger to be more evenly distributed in the waters around the island. What should I do? I had no solution. I decided to craft up saddles for all my flyers to be able to use them in situations like this. But I couldn't do that right now. I couldn't construct a work-bench, either, which in turn would have enabled me to create a saddle. Well, it wouldn't, since I didn't have the metal on me to do it. So, still no way out. And I was freezing. Messed this one up. Seriously :(
No point in denying - this time I was cheating for my own good. I used "fly" to get back to my Ptera and mount it and also corrected the settings to follow me again. No matter how much it sucked, I wouldn't change that. Bad hearing it has, if it couldn't hear me whistle. Note: Improve ears of Ptera. Important.

Another time I tried to dismount my Ptera to attack a Trilobyte at the beach. The other Ptera came to hover right above me (following distance is set to high!!!) and when I dismounted, I glitched into the other Ptera and got stuck there. Nothing I could do made me move in any direction. Jump, open inventory... nothing helped. So I logged out and logged back in and the situation was solved. The Trilobyte, however, was gone.

So that's my share today. What have you been up to?

Regards,
Eleusius.

• Like 3

Didn't play on server today. Was in singleplayer instead. Hit level 38, so the dragon is now moved into my base instead of living in the snows. Tamed an embersteed, low level but best colors out of the herd. Got a lot of resources. Tamed a featherlight. Killed two alpha carnos. Discovered that ranged dino attacks, such as wyvern breath, work perfectly well for killing piranhas and other stuff in the water bubbles on Eldritch Isle, that's something to remember - would be useful in multiplayer as well.

• Like 1

I have done nothing in game the past two days.  Picked up a couple extra shifts at work and have been reading the forums while it is slow.  Now that I have completed the island, I am reading up on other game modes.  Primarily PVE and Hardcore. … Absorbing all the info I can find, and will look for a server to call home in a couple days and start a new adventure.  And if nothing really progresses in community play, I plan on working my way forward with my single player character and advance to SE.  I am really looking forward to seeing a new world.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Penguin73 said:

@AllOfTheAllos

Thanks for your posts. I enjoy reading them.  You are much further along in the game and talk about worlds and dinos I have not seen yet.  So, I just wanted to say thanks.

The singleplayer ones are all dinos from various mods, that's why you haven't seen them. My posts about playing on either of the servers probably don't contain anything unfamiliar to you (I mean, my pets on official are just dodos, argents, rexes, gigas, quetzals, equus, crystal wyverns, plus a few more species. All perfectly normal)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

The singleplayer ones are all dinos from various mods, that's why you haven't seen them. My posts about playing on either of the servers probably don't contain anything unfamiliar to you (I mean, my pets on official are just dodos, argents, rexes, gigas, quetzals, equus, crystal wyverns, plus a few more species. All perfectly normal)

Ahhh! that explains some things. ?

(on official, Valguero) Finished hatching the tek rex eggs from a while ago. No new mutations. Incubated the giga eggs a bit more. Bred tek rexes again. Raised Deimos some more. While all that was being done, I worked some more on the new workshop (functional part of the "bridge" that'll lead from the elevator to the workshop itself is done), took down the old elevator, and finished putting all my resources, BPs and items into my brand new boxes. Now I'll have to build the elevator, build the workshop's walls and ceiling, and it'll all be done.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Hey all,

for a change, this one will be quite short, since I don't have much to tell. I'll be farming some resources in the near future, and so I did this time. Except that I had to travel some, since I had found some mineral-rich metal deposits on a mountain nearby and right now I can't take a land-based expedition over there. So I had to fly over and my carrying capacity so far is seriously limited when flying. Don't have an argy, so I had to do with my now 3 Ptera. Now, if it was just for the farming, I probably wouldn't write anything about it, since it's just grinding and nothing else. The reason I opted to write another albeit short episode is that this game once again showed me how stupid I can be - especially when it comes to handling flyers.
well well... so out we were, my 3 Ptera and me. Well, if you're out grinding / farming, you have to entertain yourself somehow or you'll get bored. Besides, my little trio had to eat something and those Ptera develop quite an appetite. So I was hunting some easy prey along the route, hopefully gaining some levels on the side. Especially since my two higher level Ptera joined me only recently and certainly needed some stats adjusted. Oh... and by the way... the recent episode taught me to always have at least two of your party equipped with saddles. So I had fixed that.

So I was happily hunting along my route to the mountain. I had some fun with that, especially since things went really smooth and I got some meat stacked to take home, too. After all, there's a Carno and a Sarco to be fed there. My staff has changed quite a bit recently. So, since everything went easy, I eventually got a little too happy and thought an aerial fight would be fun, too. That was, where stupidity kicked in. I only realized after I attacked the next best Ptera (well, almost next bests. Took a low-level one). The victim took off at high speed and my two Ptera (the ones following me) took on after him. Soon those other three were out of sight and I was alone. I couldn't keep up with them. So I was alone again. Just why did I think attacking a flyer would be fun? I can't remember. Pure stupidity. Well... cutting a long story short it took me almost an hour to gather my party again and I was lucky that none of them met a serious fate. Another lesson learned - and I feel there are so many more to come.

The rest of the trip was just grinding the metal and stuff and returning to camp. There'll be some more resource grinds in the near future, so unless I'll be stupid again, there won't be any exciting posts from me for the next few days. When I'm done with that, I hope I can finally set out for an argy. I'll let you know.

'til then!
Have fun.

Eleusius.

• Like 2

(on official, Valguero): Started on the elevator. Tried three timed to put it neatly aligned with the walls that'll contain it, it's still just a bit askew but I don't care anymore. Needs about 3-4 more tracks before it can be used, but already powered. Bred tek rexes, incubated new and old eggs and raised Deimos until the notification about the update appeared. Picked everything up, podded Deimos, logged off. That's it for today.

• Like 1

I was curious about Primitive +, so I joined the only xbox PVE prim + server listed on my console... I thought there would be more but I only saw the one.  Anyway, I don't know if it will be long-term or not, but I will give it a chance.  

Island map... I spawned in the far SW corner on the little island... and woke up inside someone's base.  Luckily The walls were not yet complete and I was able to get out.  This is my first multi-player experience in ARK as I have only played single player up to this point.  Wow!  Such a different feeling to have other people and structures around.

So I headed out to the wide open world.  Actually it was not so wide open.  Large, mostly circular fences of behemoth gates hiding the contents of peoples possessions seemed to dominate the countryside.  In between the fence lines were pillars.  It felt like I was walking through the back alleys of a city compared to what I was used to. Regardless, I did all the little things like pick berries and punch trees to gain XP and levels.  I tried to put down a foundation for a sleeping bag or even a campfire to cook some meat, but I always seemed to be too close to another structure and was not able to do so.  I died a couple times to the random raptor, but kept pushing forward.  

Eventually, after I died for the third time, I respawned further up the west coast and found a small area to call home for now.  I have access to water, wood, rock, and all the early game stuff.  It will work.  I put down a few foundations and made some early game necessities.  I noticed many cool looking things in the engrams to build in Prim + that I have not seen or used before.  I look forward to playing with all the new toys and materials.  Got myself to level 28 and stopped for now.

• Like 2

Crystal Isles, private server, four of us.

Although there are four of us now, only Flont and I are on together on a regular basis.  Goober is on a lot (he is now the highest level of us) and Delta is only on occasionally.  Anyway since Flont and I work as a team, I now present to you the following special edition:

Stretch and Flont's Guide to Crystal Wyvern Surfing!!!

On Crystal Isles, the Crystal Wyverns are passive (unless you attack them) and may be tamed by feeding them crystals (up to 48 crystals for a level 150 wild).  The problem comes in that the Wyverns do not stay in one place, they go flying off and you have to chase them down until they get hungry again and you can feed them their next snack of crystal.

We had been trying to follow one for a while with our Pteranodons when the Wyvern walked close enough to me to scoot its wing under me and suddenly I was on its wing and moving with it.  I immediately jumped off while it was still on the ground so that I would not take falling damage from high in the air.  Flont decided to use that idea to jump on the back of the Wyvern.  The Wyverns are fairly tall, so he tried again and again by jumping from the back of his Pteranodon when the Wyvern was on the ground.  Eventually he got between its shoulders and laid down.  The Wyvern took off and he hung on.  From my point of view he was standing on the back of the Wyvern "surfing",  but from his point of view he was laying down trying to cling onto the back of the Wyvern sliding around a bit.

The Wyvern got hungry and Flont was able to give it its next feeding.  He managed to stay on until it was tamed!  This is essentially like taming an Equus by riding it and feeding it until it is tame except that you are not really "riding" the Wyvern, you are "balancing" on its back.  This is a great taming method for getting a very powerful and fast mount without any danger (as long as you do not try to jump off before it is tamed).  I did this myself although I had an easier time getting on its back since I had watched Flont during his trials.  I ended up on its neck and I felt a lot less secure when it was flying, but it must have a patch of gecko-skin up there because I clung there until it was tamed.

NOTE:  Stay away from Wyvern Heirs.  They look like Crystal Wyverns, but they are aggressive and are not tameable.  They usually stay near the Wyvern trench, but they will chase you to the edge of the map if you get them riled up (like by trying to steal a Wyvern egg).

• Like 2

I wish I had something exciting to report, but I haven't been able to play much due to work. I'm still leveling up my megatherium, with eleven still to go. I also started breeding Therazino's for the dragon eventually. It's easier with them since I can just drop eggs in the fridge until I have time to mess with them.

I did get a great saddle for my Yuty though. I was hoping for a blueprint, but I will take just the saddle for now. She is all set for the Broodmother once I finish leveling up my sloths.

• Like 1

Technically it's another day already, so here's what I did so far (on official, Valguero): finished the elevator! Yes, it's all done functionally, taking me and my ankylo to- and from- the workshop! Just gotta do the "casing" now, and even that's largely done. Planned where the windows (greenhouse walls) will be in the workshop, because I'm not making it a boring round-ish stone box. It'll be a boring round-ish stone and glass box instead. Hatched 5 tek rex eggs, no new mutations again. Imprinted Deimos again, can't wait until he's 100% imprinted and 100% grown... Can't, but have to, as he haven't even reached 20% maturity yet! Did two metal runs and a crystal one, did a thatch run with Wildfire, can't believe I haven't gone to the jungle for thatch before, it's much better than getting thatch from the small trees near my base or even the tall ones near the Beaver lake!

Planning to just fly around the map looking for supply crates at some point later today, my new grinder is ready for some saddles and oil pumps, and as of now I have nothing to put in it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stretch11 said:

Crystal Isles, private server, four of us.

Although there are four of us now, only Flont and I are on together on a regular basis.  Goober is on a lot (he is now the highest level of us) and Delta is only on occasionally.  Anyway since Flont and I work as a team, I now present to you the following special edition:

Stretch and Flont's Guide to Crystal Wyvern Surfing!!!

On Crystal Isles, the Crystal Wyverns are passive (unless you attack them) and may be tamed by feeding them crystals (up to 48 crystals for a level 150 wild).  The problem comes in that the Wyverns do not stay in one place, they go flying off and you have to chase them down until they get hungry again and you can feed them their next snack of crystal.

We had been trying to follow one for a while with our Pteranodons when the Wyvern walked close enough to me to scoot its wing under me and suddenly I was on its wing and moving with it.  I immediately jumped off while it was still on the ground so that I would not take falling damage from high in the air.  Flont decided to use that idea to jump on the back of the Wyvern.  The Wyverns are fairly tall, so he tried again and again by jumping from the back of his Pteranodon when the Wyvern was on the ground.  Eventually he got between its shoulders and laid down.  The Wyvern took off and he hung on.  From my point of view he was standing on the back of the Wyvern "surfing",  but from his point of view he was laying down trying to cling onto the back of the Wyvern sliding around a bit.

The Wyvern got hungry and Flont was able to give it its next feeding.  He managed to stay on until it was tamed!  This is essentially like taming an Equus by riding it and feeding it until it is tame except that you are not really "riding" the Wyvern, you are "balancing" on its back.  This is a great taming method for getting a very powerful and fast mount without any danger (as long as you do not try to jump off before it is tamed).  I did this myself although I had an easier time getting on its back since I had watched Flont during his trials.  I ended up on its neck and I felt a lot less secure when it was flying, but it must have a patch of gecko-skin up there because I clung there until it was tamed.

NOTE:  Stay away from Wyvern Heirs.  They look like Crystal Wyverns, but they are aggressive and are not tameable.  They usually stay near the Wyvern trench, but they will chase you to the edge of the map if you get them riled up (like by trying to steal a Wyvern egg).

I didn't know people still didn't know about the riding thing. I'd never have tamed one without it.

Edited by DodoRaptor

(official, Valguero) Flew around the map, collecting loot crates. Didn't get much: two wind turbines (installed immediately on a pillar-free patch of land and demolished for materials), 1 oil pump, 1 metal pick, 1 green mammoth saddle. Plus a daeodon saddle BP, sorta okay one. Saw a wild giga, female, level 55, unpleasantly green. Like a big angry cucumber. After returning to the base and grinding the few things I dot, finished hatching my oldest giga egg, the baby was all wrong: wrong colors, wrong stats, wrong gender. Bred my gigas and put the new egg in the hatchery.

• Like 1

Spent a while sorting through dinos, picked out two megatherium, one thylocole, and a deinonychus. Got some other gear, including a few gas masks. Went hunting for the swamp cave. It took me a minute wandering randomly through that end of the redwoods on my deinon, but eventually I got in there and unpodded my three cavers. They seemed to be doing well at first, but I didn't like it for some reason and switched to riding one of the megatherium... oh that's right I remember thinking deinon is over weight so I threw everything in my inv and jumped over. Shortly after that my deinon got way out front and died. Then it went down hill, massive lag and rubber banding and I couldn't tell what was going on. Got so bad I tried to back track out to surface. Then the server crashed right near the entrance. Last thing I was doing was transfering my equipment to a mounts inventory, but I doubt that stuck, been checking battle metrics ever since, but last time my server crashed that hard it was down for a week, been over 2h. Rip deinon, and probably all the rest of it.

• Sad 1

(official, Crystal Isles) Logged on to check on my wyverns, Summerwind was missing. Hopped onto Lilac Wind, went to search for her. Looked all over the islands, and in the desert, in the mountains as well,  gave up, returned to the base, she was actually sitting near a cliff pretty close to it.

(singleplayer, Crystal Isles) Replaced the save with an older one again because I cheated a bit and felt guilty. Tamed a new Embersteed, again, best colors, low level, female this time. Tamed a rhea. Named her Persephone. Now when my Embersteed gives Barren ash I'll be ready. Also tamed an obsidian slag. Apparently, they produce not only obsidian, cementing paste, and organic poly, but cakes as well. Cool, no need to bother with feeding it then.

(official, Valguero) Did a big berry run with my diplo. Fed the herbivores. Bred tek rexes, put the eggs into the hatchery. Put the older giga egg there, too. And the lystro egg I had in the fridge. Bred the lystros and put the second egg in there as well. Went on a nice meatrun with Elisabeth, killed a lot of dinos and two elementals (levels 20 and 95), unpodded Deimos to raise him more, maybe even to his next imprint.

Bred gigas again, put the egg in the hatchery. Oldest egg hatched, colors almost right (belly is wrong, reddish instead of brown), gender is right, stats are wrong. Yet another disappointment. Picked up tek rex eggs, podded Deimos and the new failure of a giga, logged off.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

Since this somewhat recent update that allows DLC dinos to be transferred between maps on official pve servers, I felt the need to stock up on metal ingots so that I could afford to buy myself a nice dino like a griffin or a lightning wyvern. So I take my argy and two anky's out metal mining and in two trips I'm able to bring back a little over 10k metal to refine so now I'm at over 16k metal ingots which is more than I've ever had which is nice, but the fact that I've seen one person selling a wyvern for for 15k ingots seems a little absurd to me as that seems overpriced just for some random wyvern. I don't know what wyverns go for today in ingots, but at one time I heard you could buy them for anywhere from 4k ingots to 15k at the highest for a top of the line wyvern with perfect stats.

Hello all,

since I said I was grinding recently, there's almost nothing to tell. Once I came back to my base and found an almost decent Therezino trying desperately to be spiked on my defences. I hopped on a flyer and tried almost as desperately to lure it away from my defences and towards my taming-pen. Alas... he returned several times to my defences until he eventually fell dead. Obviously his priority was terraforming and my defences weren't on his list. Such a shame this magnificent creature had to kill itself.
Other than that I got a Tek-Stego, which is pretty shiny and nice and has decent levels. Stats are a bit lacking for it's levels, but that'll grow. Don't really need it, though.

Hope something more serious is coming soon.

Have a nice weekend everybody,

Eleusius.

(Official, Valguero) Fed the dinos. Built a breeding platform-thing for my tek rexes because I saw the idea on Reddit and it seemed much neater than running among the tangled dinos, trying to take eggs without getting stuck, which was how I used to do it before. Bred the rexes. Put the eggs in the fridge. Picked the giga egg and put that in the fridge too. Logged off.

Also, breeding platform will be probably rebuilt later to be broader/longer, maybe with railings separating the rexes. Right now it's a bit awkward-looking.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1