Top 3 Dinosaur Debunks

Top 5 Dinosaur Debunks

Number One -  Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus     Although some Jurassic Park fans would kill me for this, Spinosaurus Aegypticus And Tyrannosaurus Rex never could have battled. Tyrannosaurus Rex lived in what is now North America and Spinosaurus Aegypticus lived in North - East Africa, further more saying that Spinosaurus And Tyrannosaurus never fought. Although Spinosaurus's sometimes-competitor, Charcarodontosaurus, could have put up a good fight to Spinosaurus.

Number Two - Spi-NO-saurus     Spinosaurus recreations from long ago are quite different from modern-day recreations. The first bone representation was published in 1912. It was basically a Tyrannosaurus of that time, with an upright posture and a half-circle sail. The new, more accurate specimen (Bailey) was discovered in 1997 and was proven wrong in 2014. With a quadrupedal stance and a more rectangular sail, Spinosaurus Aegypticus (is still now) one of the most confusing specimens to date.

Number Three - Feathered dinosaurs     For over 150 years, people have been studying dinosaurs and their ways. For most of that time, paleontologists have thought that dinosaurs were more of reptiles than anything else. It was only until the 1980's and the 1990's when we discovered a feathered dinosaur named Microraptor Gui. After that discovery, it changed the world of dinosaurs forever.

Thank you for the support! With help from Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page I was able to make this happen! Thank you for reading this, and to you all good night!  

2 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

But this is ark.... it's not meant to be factual just fun... even the devs have said they don't rely fully on what is known about a species.  Or guessed upon sorry had to put that out there since everything is speculation.

I didn't mean it for Ark I meant it for you guys

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, AlbinoArchaeopteryx2008 said:

I didn't mean it for Ark I meant it for you guys

Lol then I salute you good sir or madam... if u like checking on new species of Dino's there have been several the last couple months. I keep seeing them pop up on news sites... interesting times 

Some points of response (two additions to your points, and one correction).

1) In addition to their geographical separation, S. aegypticus and T. rex lived millions of years apart. Hard to fight when one species is already bones in the ground

2) The quadrupedal Spinosaurus has actually been rejected because paleontologists have determined that Spinosaurids could not pronate their upper appendages (they couldn't turn their hands flat to rest on the ground). Spinosaurus likely was bipedal but ungainly on land, since it would basically depend on its tail for balance. It probably spent most of its time in the water, only coming onto shore with very good reason (like aggression from other spinosaurids or crocodilomorphs). Think hippopotamus, but bigger and more deadly

3) They're still arguing about it :o We know feathers were likely unique to theropods, but even within that, their presence in various clades is questionable. There's significant evidence to suggest that all Maniraptorans had feathers (including birds, raptors, turkeydorkasaurus, etc), but as you move further back, the evidence becomes fuzzier. Even Tyrannousaurus exhibits conflicting evidence, leading researchers to believe it possibly had feathers early in life but subsequent lost them as it aged. A lot of the evidence comes from specific species exhibiting feathers, which researchers use to infer that other species in that phylogenetic bracket also had them

3 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

2) The quadrupedal Spinosaurus has actually been rejected because paleontologists have determined that Spinosaurids could not pronate their upper appendages (they couldn't turn their hands flat to rest on the ground).

There are some rumours that the Spino walked on its knuckles, like a gorilla.

1 hour ago, DomiDarko said:

There are some rumours that the Spino walked on its knuckles, like a gorilla.

I've read that as well. I think there was some criticism that the Spinosaurus's forearms probably lacked the strength to knuckle walk regularly, but it could switch to it or temporarily support itself in such a way if needed. As I recall, Ibrahim et al. suggested the knuckle walking, but their analysis relied on hind limb data that was like 27% too short or something like that. Also, other scientists pointed out that most theropods lacked the structural integrity in their forelimbs to support their bulk for any extended period of time. I'm not sure that an occasionally-quadrupedal Spino has been rejected, but the popular theory seems to be that it was just a low-slung, slow-moving biped on land, with the ability to switch to a quadrupedal stance when needed. I've heard the Pangolin is a good comparison

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, Captnmorgan said:

Lol then I salute you good sir or madam... if u like checking on new species of Dino's there have been several the last couple months. I keep seeing them pop up on news sites... interesting times 

I'm a sir, and thank you. *bows*

Archived