Magic on the ARK?

Jaywall

Wonder if the devs would ever consider adding sorcery, even if only a small amount. Some spells and staves and such. I know, a lot of people will say "sounds good for a mod." But I am a console player. I'm sure some players may not like the changes it would bring to a pvp aspect of the game, maybe if maintaining magic was much more difficult than just eating and drinking. I think it would add a very interesting feel and dynamic to the game :) feel free to let me know what you guys think.

8 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Teleportation and lasers/plasma weapons are coming so maybe that'll quench your magic thirst. Plus energy shields as well I do believe..

8 hours ago, Jaywall said:

Yeah! Not the same thing really but I am excited for teh tier! Just thought a Mage tier would be kind of sick!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."Arthur C Clarke

TLDR:  Keep magic off my ARK.  I am deeply concerned that ARK will devolve into a world of whorecraft knock off.  While I can enjoy the sci fi feel of the mysterious surroundings and obelisks, the more fantasy elements they add the more I am turned off.  I signed up for guns and dinos, not magic and dragons.  The wyverns are already pushing my tolerance as it is.  ARK does not and should not become lord of the rings.

3 minutes ago, Sov said:

TLDR:  Keep magic off my ARK.  I am deeply concerned that ARK will devolve into a world of whorecraft knock off.  While I can enjoy the sci fi feel of the mysterious surroundings and obelisks, the more fantasy elements they add the more I am turned off.  I signed up for guns and dinos, not magic and dragons.  The wyverns are already pushing my tolerance as it is.  ARK does not and should not become lord of the rings.

Gullums have actually recently been discovered to be dinosaurs.  I am attaching a photo of the most recent discovery of a baby dinosaur gullum that was found in the Netherlands just last month.  So lord of the rings just might work for ark.

arkg.jpg

While I wouldn't want magic introduced into the main map or The Center, I think Ark's engine is flexible enough to allow the creation of a fun magic based ARK as an entirely separate DLC, much like Scorched Earth.

Honestly, I think Ark has so much potential with it's incredibly deep and flexible underlying mechanics that I'd hate to rule anything out, and I think they're particularly well suited to a magic based survival game that would be far more engaging and intricate than WoW and it's ilk.

6 hours ago, Eldrax said:

This seems something fun for a mod creator. Avada Kedavra a player. #HarryPotter.
But it doesn't fit really in the base game. But for fun purposes. :D

The ARK Harry Potter Mod. Defintly worth giving that a try if someone makes that.

I am calling the Ministry of Magic because you tried to use the Death Curse!

6 hours ago, mronemanmob said:

Gullums have actually recently been discovered to be dinosaurs.  I am attaching a photo of the most recent discovery of a baby dinosaur gullum that was found in the Netherlands just last month.  So lord of the rings just might work for ark.

arkg.jpg

You just bred a procoptodon and put a helmet skin on it.  Can't fool me!

Archived