Community Crunch 394: Custom Cosmetic System, Bonus Rates, and More!

StudioWildcard

Well, this week we're diving deep into how you will be able to unleash your inner architect and fashionista to transform your ARK experience!

The new "Custom Cosmetic" system allows players to dynamically apply player-generated costumes to players and dinos, end-user-created skins to armors and weapons, and end-user-created skins to all the game's structures. These can have endless client-side functionality, including network messaging and limited persistent replicated data storage. For structures, this effectively enables infinite visual variety and functional enhancement through player-created cosmetics, which do not require any server-updating or loading onto the server.

• Phase 1, launching Feb 1, will require clients to manually install such Custom Cosmetic Mods in order to see and use them on Official Servers.
  • Phase 2, launching April 1, will automatically download them in the background when encountered during gameplay. Note: Clients can disable usage of these globally or per-Mod-ID. Servers can disable globally or use a whitelist (we suggest servers use our official whitelist, which will be the default). The cosmetics allowed on official servers will be dynamically-white-listed on a daily basis by Overwolf and Studio Wildcard to avoid any exploity or issue-causing cosmetics.

Ok, is there some kind soul out there who could rewrite the above in plain english for this ( and no doubt other) old and maybe not so coding wise players? I read the ;last part as these will get wiped clean everyday.. not good if part of a building, will other players on the same server not be able to see what you're wearing/part of your base if they don't have that particular mod thing installed? And how are dinos actually going to work ingame in practice if say only you have one? do you receive it in a pod or do you have to catch the invisible to others one in the wild? Confused muchly after the deep dive!

i wonder how the save data ptb singleplayer gang is doing? with working on this issue.... and im also wondering if soon will we have more then surposely i guess 5Gb of mod storrage on console?cause im sure i ain't the only one getting the "not enough memory message" there is alot of mods that i like and wanna use but because of this i can't use and i can't even update the existing mods i already have thus... i can't play the game inless i delete some also its funny because u guys know how big maps can be and its just not feasible to download a map mod that is worth 2/3's of how much data u can use for mod storrage anyways i hope to hear about the save data issue soon and hopefully the game will actualy become playable :/ at this rate will it take The center to come out for the game to be finally playable? i doubt it but perhaps beyond that im glad more content is being pushed for the game but can't even use the content if the game isn't even playable or if it lacks storrage to have fun with anyways thanks for the chrunch wildcard u guys take care and stay safe.

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that WC wants mods to develop the game because they can't? the mods on the official servers are clear proof of this, with this they will no longer have to make updates on the creatures and structures on the aesthetic side since the players will take care of it. Is this just my thought or do you also have this doubt? 

• Confused 1

We don't need these mods to change the appearance of Ark. We need Ark to run well, a console update would be nice every now and then. We need servers to run well; not constantly lagging,etc.  People are leaving for other games because your focus isn't on ASA the way it should be. Players want content and maps, not lies and the run around. The overpopulation of some servers won't matter for long, it's quickly getting too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Hello!

I am loving the game so far over this pas week but I would like to ask something. Will you guys ever consider adding a save option to single player games, as every time I log into my map I am anxious that it won't save or start a new map. It would be greatly appreciated and would make mine and so many others lives easier when playing single player ark!

Additionally, will you guys ever consider allowing us to make multiple single player saves on one map? As I would like to play non-dedicated with my friend but will not be able to do so until a second map comes, or if I delete my prior save.

It would be much appreciated if these were added, thank you!

20 minutes ago, Romuluas said:

Hello!

I am loving the game so far over this pas week but I would like to ask something. Will you guys ever consider adding a save option to single player games, as every time I log into my map I am anxious that it won't save or start a new map. It would be greatly appreciated and would make mine and so many others lives easier when playing single player ark!

Additionally, will you guys ever consider allowing us to make multiple single player saves on one map? As I would like to play non-dedicated with my friend but will not be able to do so until a second map comes, or if I delete my prior save.

It would be much appreciated if these were added, thank you!

This is from what I heard about single-player saves,

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

10 ore fa, Ivynor ha detto:

Il sistema cosmetico risolverà l'impossibilità di salvare costantemente in modalità giocatore singolo? 

NO! ma consentirà a WC di lasciare che il moderatore sviluppi il proprio gioco, mentre WC continuerà a non gestire il single player, a non rendere stabili i server ea non aggiungere modalità di gioco come pvp hardcore e orp. Al giorno d'oggi questo gioco si basa solo sulle mod (anche se sono molto belle, elaborate e apprezzate) e non più sul gioco stesso  

Edited by aikkam
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jayvir said:

Still waiting for someone to address the save issue in single player. Been an issue since November and every week it gets ignored. Ignored here. Ignored on the bug report forums. Ignored on every patch.

Fix. Your. Game.

totaly agreeable i've had these issues aswell so im not playing intill its fixed its funny cause Ase is more playable then Asa is and Ase has never had this kind of save data issue before 

Are you gonna make some Tek Greenhouse Walls that can function the same way (transparency on/off and one-way) for the folks who still like to play vanilla-only?

I've personally never been a fan of mods, that's why I choose to play on console in the first place. Having to rely on them for everything is bogus and largely time/space consuming.

• Thanks 3