The lag, rubberbanding, and ping on officials is nuts

5 hours ago, udo said:

its like it with low player count , 36 /70 and rubberbanding and laggy , its not all down to player count , the servers are screwey along with the game code

You have 36 online, but hundreds offline where they, their structures, and their tames, are still loaded into the world.

Edited by Scheneighnay
  • Facepalm 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:16 PM, Scheneighnay said:

You have 36 online, but hundreds offline where they, their structures, and their tames, are still loaded into the world.

The structures are only there if they are rendered.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:16 PM, Scheneighnay said:

3q

14 hours ago, Hurebhsdyrgsg said:

The structures are only there if they are rendered.

That's sort of true, but not entirely.

The server has to keep track of everything on the map regardless of whether it's rendered or not, so every single object on the map adds a tiny bit to the overall workload of the server. Having said that, what hits the server much harder is the work it has to do  when players are logged in and moving around, causing objects to render and out in all over the map.

A server with 500,000 structure items will run slower than a server with 10,000 structure items, even if only 1 person is logged in to the server at a time. How much slower? It's hard to say because there are other causes of lag (internet communications, whether other people in your house are using the internet while you're playing, the tech specs on your machine, you get the idea). And, once a server has accumulated lots and lots of structure items, like they do when a bunch of tribes have all built big bases, that server is going to run a bit slower (and have more lag spikes) that a server would that wasn't heavily built up.

So you're party right, servers have to do a lot more work when there are more people logged in and moving around, but this doesn't mean that "structures are only there if they are rendered", the server still has to keep track of every single structure at all times, no matter what.

For what it's worth, players who are moving around the map cause a lot more work for the server than people who are staying in a small area. So if there are 10 people running/flying around the world looking for things to tame, they cause a lot more work for the server than 30 people who are all just in their base doing base maintenance. This is why you can sometimes have a larger number of people logged in but things seem ok but other times there can be only a few people logged in and the server has a bunch of lag. The activity, or lack of activity, of the players who are logged in makes noticeable difference for server performance.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:26 PM, JetJaguar said:

I dont understand how folks can even play without punching their monitors. Running into your house 2-3x, spending 5 mins trying to pick a dino up because you rubberband past it, staring at the screen like an idiot because the game is lagging and your character is doing nothing. Its like its 2015 Ark all over again.

I almost die whenever I rubberband. For a split second I think I'm being pulled off my bird 😨 but iirc, we had rubberbanding issues with the original that was eventually fixed.

Edited by MissAscended