Way too much vegetation

Zapha

There are so many areas which are so crammed with trees and bushes, causing bad lag and making it impossible to play there. Maybe the reason was that the devs wanted impress us with the new engine by making ultradense djungles.
It looks really way better, but if my framerate goes below 20 fps then I simply avoid this areas and play only in biomes with normal vegetation.

When I played ASA first on my old GTX card I knew I have to buy something better, and spent 300 bucks for a RTX3 card. I usually play on low resolution like 1366x768, this gives a huge performance boost compared to those who play on high resolutions.
But inspite I have ALL settings turned down to lowest values, I have only fluid gameplay outside of this ultradense vegetation packed areas.

So my suggestion to the devs is:
OK, we have seen now what the new engine is able to, so just remove half of the trees and bushes from the djungle areas to make them playable.

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, zero064 said:

the Island always had thick vegetation.

True, but they made significant changes. They e.g. removed many metal nodes or made them to oil nodes. I played a lot on the old "The Island" and as I remember there were not that much vegetation like now.

It's not only the lag, it's now a kind of totaly blindness what 's going on around you because of the wall of plants.

25 minutes ago, Zapha said:

True, but they made significant changes. They e.g. removed many metal nodes or made them to oil nodes. I played a lot on the old "The Island" and as I remember there were not that much vegetation like now.

It's not only the lag, it's now a kind of totaly blindness what 's going on around you because of the wall of plants.

The biggest annoyance I find is the tall grass making it hard to see anything. I suspect the grass along with the new vegetation animations aren't helping the framerates. Turning off the clouds helped my framerate enormously though.

Now if they could just fix that annoying rubberbanding that appeared with one of the patches a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

There are so many areas which are so crammed with trees and bushes, causing bad lag and making it impossible to play there. Maybe the reason was that the devs wanted impress us with the new engine by making ultradense djungles.
It looks really way better, but if my framerate goes below 20 fps then I simply avoid this areas and play only in biomes with normal vegetation.

When I played ASA first on my old GTX card I knew I have to buy something better, and spent 300 bucks for a RTX3 card. I usually play on low resolution like 1366x768, this gives a huge performance boost compared to those who play on high resolutions.
But inspite I have ALL settings turned down to lowest values, I have only fluid gameplay outside of this ultradense vegetation packed areas.

OK, we have seen now what the new engine is able to, so just remove half of the trees and bushes from the djungle areas to make them playable.

Your playing on Unreal 5.0 it requires more video ram so i would suggest updating your video card to at least 12 Gig. Also you can turn off grasses.

Hit ` Tilde type Enable.grass 0 hit enter

Shut off shadows totally: Hit tilde and do R.ShadowQuality 0 hit enter.,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

Wait this map has trees? I swear the whole map only has foundations and pillars spammed everywhere and almost no trees...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

I can't believe we are actually now complaining about the grass

I can't believe you think this is about grass rather than the real issue that is bothering the OP, game performance. It's not rocket science to figure out why the OP was talking about grass, it isn't really about the grass. I guess reading between the lines is less fun than looking for excuses for snark.

I want to add some critics regarding the fade-in behaviour of forest chunks:

There is a significant difference in the rendering of forest and all other stuff. While the other stuff appears only inside our render-bubble, the forest appears in large chunks when touched from the render-bubble. That's the reason why so many vegetation is displayed outside of my normal render-bubble. And the reason for the lag.

I guess it was a kind of design decision to say that first large parts of the vegetation should be displayed, so that the far parts of the landscape don't look so empty. But if the price for this is crazy lag when viewing forest, it would be better to remove this chunk-popin at least for low settings.

They wrote Geforce RTX3080 is recommended, and minimum would be a GTX1080.

I have bought a RTX 3060 with 12GB RAM only for ARK, I play on low resolution of 1366x768, I have ALL settings down to off/zero/minimum. And I have crazy lag because we now have three render-bubbles: A small one for the dinos, a medium one for rocks and stuff, and a big one for the plants. If they would be honest they should say you need a RTX4.

Would be cool if we get different view distance sliders for plants, rocks and dinos. So that we can adjust the performance.

14 hours ago, jaye63 said:

Console command
grass.enable 0

change the 0 to 1-5 if you want more than none.

Grass.enable 0 only eliminates low vegetation such as grass, flowers and bushes, but I believe that the problem you are talking about "too much vegetation" refers above all to trees (harvestable and otherwise) whose command is similar to ToggleFoliage 0 (not I'm sure it's spelled correctly, I don't use commands) but I know this command has been disabled by WC.