No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

I've been keeping my eyes open for information on this but as of yet I still haven't seen anything definitive so I'm taking to the forums.

On the Xbox version of ARK: Survival Evolved there is an option in the Host\Local screen called Run Dedicated Server which uses that copy of the game to host a server on the machine the game is being run on. This local dedicated server can then be accessed from a second machine if one has such resources available to them. This is how my friends and I have been playing ARK for years because a couple of us have extra PCs we've ran dedicated servers on.

Unfortunately on the Steam version of Survival Evolved, even though the Run Dedicated Server option appears to be available, it doesn't work. Hosting a local dedicated server for the Steam version of the game is much more complicated and usually requires third-party software to streamline.

What I have been trying to figure out is what local dedicated server hosting is going to look like with ARK: Survival Ascended? Is there any good information available on this yet or are we waiting until the game drops before we learn such details? I don't want to buy two copies on Steam if the Steam version of Survival Ascended ends up not having easy local dedicated server hosting capabilities as is the case with Steam's Survival Evolved.

Basically I want to know, for local dedicated server hosting purposes, if I should buy Survival Ascended on Steam or Xbox, or if it will matter at all?

3 hours ago, Arambourgiania said:

Basically I want to know, for local dedicated server hosting purposes, if I should buy Survival Ascended on Steam or Xbox, or if it will matter at all?

I don't think anybody knows the answer to that question. It's for sure that WildCard hasn't given a good explanation on how dedicated servers will work in ASA.

Is there a guide to configuring a server for ASA, or do we have to figure it out for ourselves? It's been a very long time since I did this for ASE without the help of a server manager.

Guess I'll start with steamcmd and see what I can get running.

EDIT: I made it as far as trying to steamcmd to install ASA, and received the following error: ERROR! Failed to install app '2399830' (No subscription)

The release was only an hour ago, so I'll wait a bit and try again.

Edited by zero064

If the rumors are true and WC gives Nitrado 100% monopoly without releasing the dedicated server files, i am (and probably so many others) totally refunding ASA !

EDIT: So the clock is ticking...if the dedi files are not out before refund deadline, i'm out!

We are one of the largest PvE ARK communities in EU, trying to force Nitrado uppon us is unacceptable practice and we are not helping financing shady monopoly deals!

Edited by nworlds
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, nworlds said:

If the rumors are true and WC gives Nitrado 100% monopoly without releasing the dedicated server files, i am (and probably so many others) totally refunding ASA !

EDIT: So the clock is ticking...if the dedi files are not out before refund deadline, i'm out!

We are one of the largest PvE ARK communities in EU, trying to force Nitrado uppon us is unacceptable practice and we are not helping financing shady monopoly deals!

Given the lack of official statements on it, it's not looking good on the outside.

Certainly appears like Nitrado might be allowed to charge a high rate for renting servers while Snail denies the end users the ability to host their own so there's no alternative aside from paying Nitrado.

Obviously if that's what's going on we're not going to see them come out and say that because it would torpedo a lot of the sales potential during the initial sales push.

I really don't want to be right on this, but I have that sinking feeling in my gut I just can't shake.

Heya, Tried setting up my Dedicated but I am unable to download the server files. I have tried anonymous and with username  password from a valid account with a purchased game and neither allows for download via Steam cmd. Any one with a work around to for Steam cmd or am I stuck with full game install for now?

Cheers

Final verdict: there is NO option to host a local dedicated server. The only custom game options available are singleplayer and non-dedicated. I read somewhere the non-dedicated sessions have an eight-player limit, so if you have a small group of friends to play with that option should work fine especially with A:SA's instanced rendering feature which I can't yet confirm but suspect improves the tethering limitations that A:SE had.

Unfortunately A:SA's initial release build is so unoptimized I actually can't play it right now despite having a PC that by all counts should handle it fine at least on moderate graphics settings, so I am currently unable to experiment with the non-dedicated feature further.

Edited by Arambourgiania

3 hours ago, Arambourgiania said:

Final verdict: there is NO option to host a local dedicated server. The only custom game options available are singleplayer and non-dedicated. I read somewhere the non-dedicated sessions have an eight-player limit, so if you have a small group of friends to play with that option should work fine especially with A:SA's instanced rendering feature which I can't yet confirm but suspect improves the tethering limitations that A:SE had.

Unfortunately A:SA's initial release build is so unoptimized I actually can't play it right now despite having a PC that by all counts should handle it fine at least on moderate graphics settings, so I am currently unable to experiment with the non-dedicated feature further.

does non dedicated still do the tethering thing?

3 hours ago, nworlds said:

This is why we MUST refund ASA unless they release the files.

We MUST NOT let them get away with such practice!

Honestly, i stand behind you, brother.

If ASA is gonna be Nitrado only, im gonna refund the game, hosted my own server over pterodactyl on a small machine besides me. And i aint gonna shove 30+ Bucks in Nitrados mouth just for some 2nd grade shared machine.

I have been hosting ARK ASE since 2016 for our community.  I won't be buying this game until we know that we will be allowed to host it.  I will not be paying Nitrado for anything.  Also we don't have anywhere near 10k active members.  If we have to apply for a server license we won't meet the requirements.  If they don't open up DS files to private hosters, they are killing this game before it starts.  

Hosting ASA Servers with a Dedicated License (PC Only) 
At the moment, we are actively working to ensure the community can be provided with non-commerical licenses for ARK: Survival Ascended servers. As we do not want to block communities by the exclusivity, we will be aiming to have this ready after launch. The system will work by providing server communities and content creators the ability to request this temporary license or a partnership by applying. To check ahead of time if you meet our requirements, you can see them below:

Server Admins & Cluster Owners Requirements (Communities)

Have at least 10,000 active members in your community.
Content Creator Requirements

Have at least 10,000 followers and 5,000 impressions per content piece.
If you do not meet these requirements, you can find additional options below to still host community servers and ensure you can grow into the new worlds of ARK: SA. Then, once you do meet our requirements we encourage you to apply!

-nitrado

• Like 2

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?