What is in your opinion a creature you find pretty useless that others adore

axodrimk

Even a top stat trope can't compare to a top stat wyvern for killing power in any way.  It's extremely slow on the ground and its melee ability is terrible. not in a million years is a trope better than a wyvern other than moving around the map and that's only burning gas.  Other than that its fly speed is horrid.

Id say the Bronto has gotten extremely dated. people still seem to tame them for collecting but they are easily replaced now by the theri which is more compact and has a better harvesting rate.  The same with the Thyla. it feels like a early game tame compared to the shadowmane it just seems like a glorified sabertooth with a bleed.

i am so glad i am not the only one that feels this way.

my personal feeling is i don't much like any of the dinos that are huge.  yet you are sort of forced to use them.  wyverns are a great example.  large, slow to turn, take up a bunch of space. yes they can pick up larger things than an argentavis, but it's annoying to try and align to pick up and drop dinos.  yet they're about the fastest thing out there, and i don't want to have two birthdays while flying across the map.

i feel similarly about carchars and gigas.  huge dinos, but you almost have to use them because you need the huge damage for some things.  any chance i have to get away with using something smaller i take.

2 minutes ago, Grissom said:

The same with the Thyla. it feels like a early game tame compared to the shadowmane it just seems like a glorified sabertooth with a bleed.

Because it is early game compared to the Shadowmane. Thylas can be found on most maps and aren't terribly hard to tame outside of the fact that without Extraordinary Kibble you're looking at a decent loss to taming effectiveness. 

Shadowmanes can only be found on two maps (And were only initially on Genesis P2) and got a lot of that Genesis 2 powercreep. 

Thylas are WAY beyond Saber levels of strength. Even if they had the same stats, Thyla's bleed and mobility would still put it leagues above the Saber.  

7 minutes ago, Grissom said:

Even a top stat trope can't compare to a top stat wyvern for killing power in any way.  It's extremely slow on the ground and its melee ability is terrible. not in a million years is a trope better than a wyvern other than moving around the map and that's only burning gas.  Other than that its fly speed is horrid.

i'm not intending to be confrontational but honestly why would you use a wyvern for killing power or ground speed movement.  if that is what needs doing, a Managarmr does that better.  the ONLY time i use a wyvern is travel speed, and really that could be replaced by a griffin (i just don't like dealing with the swoopy dive crud), or a trope (i just don't like dealing with the gas crud), or again a Mana (unless you don't like dealing with the jump n dive crud).

i understand this is an opinion, and i understand what they say about opinions.

1 hour ago, Qwertymine said:

Because it is early game compared to the Shadowmane. Thylas can be found on most maps and aren't terribly hard to tame outside of the fact that without Extraordinary Kibble you're looking at a decent loss to taming effectiveness. 

Shadowmanes can only be found on two maps (And were only initially on Genesis P2) and got a lot of that Genesis 2 powercreep. 

Thylas are WAY beyond Saber levels of strength. Even if they had the same stats, Thyla's bleed and mobility would still put it leagues above the Saber.  

This. Someone who thinks a Thyla isnt 1000x better than a Saber clearly hasnt used a thyla very much. They shred.

I wish you could take them into boss battles, would have definitely made a thyla army.

2 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

This. Someone who thinks a Thyla isnt 1000x better than a Saber clearly hasnt used a thyla very much. They shred.

I wish you could take them into boss battles, would have definitely made a thyla army.

I'm not saying a thyla isn't a good animal and better than a saber. but the second you get a rex or a giga it's not a useful animal. A megatherium is better in a cave. A rex or giga is better to collect meat and any flyer is better for travel. The only thing the thyla excels at is collecting Hide and really that doesn't make it worth using over the former for the pain it is to tame early game with the lack of the option of top end kibble. I feel its just a cute fuzzy cat with cute babies and that's why everyone likes the thing.  it's easily replaced for every job it does accept maybe assisting with titano kills on the island early game with its bleed.

Edited by Grissom
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stewbawl said:

i'm not intending to be confrontational but honestly why would you use a wyvern for killing power or ground speed movement.  if that is what needs doing, a Managarmr does that better.  the ONLY time i use a wyvern is travel speed, and really that could be replaced by a griffin (i just don't like dealing with the swoopy dive crud), or a trope (i just don't like dealing with the gas crud), or again a Mana (unless you don't like dealing with the jump n dive crud).

i understand this is an opinion, and i understand what they say about opinions.

Ill take a 2k melee damage lightning over a mana any day. If you learn to hold X hover in the air completely out of range of your attacker and nearly instantly kill anything in the game short of a Giga, carcha or titan it changes your mind real fast. I do love the Mana but prefer the wyverns mobility style.

Edited by Grissom

10 hours ago, Grissom said:

I'm not saying a thyla isn't a good animal and better than a saber. but the second you get a rex or a giga it's not a useful animal. A megatherium is better in a cave. A rex or giga is better to collect meat and any flyer is better for travel. The only thing the thyla excels at is collecting Hide and really that doesn't make it worth using over the former for the pain it is to tame early game with the lack of the option of top end kibble. I feel its just a cute fuzzy cat with cute babies and that's why everyone likes the thing.  it's easily replaced for every job it does accept maybe assisting with titano kills on the island early game with its bleed.

Shall we have a competition to see who kills a Rock Elemental or Titanosaur first? :);)

Add: bleeding + climbing ability + good mobility + good stats (hp, stam, wgh, dmg) = Reliable, resistant, powerful, versatile Dino.

Edited by CervantesMor

8 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

Shall we have a competition to see who kills a Rock Elemental or Titanosaur first? :);)

Add: bleeding + climbing ability + good mobility + good stats (hp, stam, wgh, dmg) = Reliable, resistant, powerful, versatile Dino.

Any why would you ever use this say over a argent which is infinitely easier to tame and has multiple uses which can do all these things better other than the bleed as well as has a self heal and can fly. When it comes to wild bred tames they are just not that strong even leveled. Once you put a lot of breeding time in they become more useful but other than the bleed they have they are outclasses in every way.

Edited by Grissom

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Itch said:

Rex has become pretty useless... only breed them for hp to pvp nowadays - dont need em for bosses anymore.

I kinda agree, as there are better picks like the Theri, but Rexes are generally easier to get than most boss creatures (Aside from Megatherium for the Broodmother). If you want to do a fight optimally, then yeah, Rexes are outclassed nowadays, but if you just want to do the fight, then Rexes are fine. A bit clunky compared to the more compact options, but still useable. 

i was going to say Casteroides, but it's kinda hard to decide what animal will be useless now that we're not going to be able to alter movement speed.. Due to that the Casteroides gained a lot of points due to the speedboost in water. 
i think hierarchy will change a lot overall due to that simple change.. 

for instance more will probably go for a land dino over an argy for mid transport/quick meatruns.
(obviously for easy lift and trap taming an argy is useful, but that can be any lowlevel argy )
so in my case:
Argy is kinda useless to me

(plus the obvious Karkinos)

Edited by BLiNNeMaNS

1 hour ago, BLiNNeMaNS said:

i was going to say Casteroides, but it's kinda hard to decide what animal will be useless now that we're not going to be able to alter movement speed.. Due to that the Casteroides gained a lot of points due to the speedboost in water. 
i think hierarchy will change a lot overall due to that simple change.. 

for instance more will probably go for a land dino over an argy for mid transport/quick meatruns.
(obviously for easy lift and trap taming an argy is useful, but that can be any lowlevel argy )
so in my case:
Argy is kinda useless to me

(plus the obvious Karkinos)

I am still probably going to use Argent's for metal gathering on complicated terrain metal runs., usually i carry my wife on an ankylo, argent bred for weight and stamina. it lets you get at the metal nodes people don't regularly farm. same with castoroides, he's a good carryable wood gatherer. but i do see your point