Community Crunch 379: ASA Cross-Platform Mod Preview

StudioWildcard

It's sad that you haven't posted anything on any platform for ASA, but every platform has Ark2 listed and isn't coming out until maybe 2026. This is the reason why I won't be on with Ark. Don't get me wrong, Ark: survival evolved is a great game and I love it, but poor choice on both companies is why I wouldn't consider moving forward with ASA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GP said:

It will exist at launch.

so thats a creature for the island then? because all we know is its name .... not been rotten but yes its says it will be available as a mod at launch but for what place? and even so WC / SG might charge us a couple of quid (or more most likely - if its a paid mod) just to have that ONE dino on the island / wherever lol

Its just too vague atmo for many of the community which with such a SHORT amount of time left we really shouldnt be this much in the shadows :(

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:35 AM, Reaperking9 said:

Where was crossplay mentioned as a mod at all

Back at the beginning of the talks of ASA. Plus FromtheDepths (One of the main team members of Ark Additions and the Paleo Mod, if I spelled his name correctly) announced that Ark Additions and his paleo mod were going to be CrossPlatform

Edited by OverRannus

On 9/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, Mike585x said:

That isn't a screenshot from the game... it's User Generated, may as well be AI generated.

User Generated Content means it was made by Garuga in ASA developer kit which means it is UE5 content. You can see he is in the ASA early access developer kit and not ASE because there is an image of the site in the bottom right corner of the picture.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 10:11 AM, DarkDraken17 said:

Who do you guys hope wins?

Personally I was thinking the Aerosteon, but what do you guys think?

I got to say that I’m a Gorgonops fan and I’m really hoping that this time it will get into ASA on the perfect map for it. But I do also like the Ozimek and Jumper and put them pretty high on my list.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OverRannus said:

User Generated Content means it was made by Garuga in ASA developer kit which means it is UE5 content. You can see he is in the ASA early access developer kit and not ASE because there is an image of the site in the bottom right corner of the picture.

Doesn't mean squat unless it comes from WC, was my point.

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/20/2023 at 3:26 AM, mikehenson said:

It's sad that you haven't posted anything on any platform for ASA, but every platform has Ark2 listed and isn't coming out until maybe 2026. This is the reason why I won't be on with Ark. Don't get me wrong, Ark: survival evolved is a great game and I love it, but poor choice on both companies is why I wouldn't consider moving forward with ASA.

where did you get the news that 2026? even if they announce that the premiere will be in e.g. 2095, they will postpone it anyway this premiere. btw ark 2 was supposed to be released in May this year, then the production date disappeared from the video. then postponed until the end of December this year. and in the meantime they wanted to play with their ASA, which was supposed to be something sideways and not to affect the delay of ARK 2

How about knowing them. They will probably release this game. But they will never make it on time. Instead of announcing a longer time they prefer to move the date 100 times and annoy people. 

On 9/17/2023 at 6:44 AM, FlorianWind9 said:

What I'm saying is that we've been asking for proper ASA comparison content for 2 1/2 months now and this is what they give us? It's nice, sure, but not only is it not an actual in-game screenshot but just a render, but it isn't even one that they themselves did. Can't they give us a cinematic screenshot of their redoing of, say, a stego in UE5 with maybe a forest in the background? To make me interested and excited for ASA? How difficult of a ask is that at this point in their development? How much of a "spoiler" would that be?

If you take a look at this crunch, there is not a single piece of it that is wc made; it's all the community's hard work. I enjoy seeing the community's hard work, but at this point in the development cycle I want to see what wc's work is.

What I'm saying is that a game development company should be building hype for the release of their "new" game; especially this close to supposed release. wc has built hype properly in the past for their new content, but this time they have practically done the opposite; and then done nothing to try and correct this marketing strategy they've been using. 

Just above your comment someone else posted an image of essentially the same picture but rendered in UE4 for comparison. Maybe it's my computer, but to me the 2 images look almost exactly the same quality. The one major difference, as you said, is the lighting in the UE5 picture makes it pop more.

I don't buy video games for the pretty graphics. I don't buy video games for slightly better lighting that makes the images look maybe 10 or 20 percent better. What I buy video games for is the game mechanics and what you can do in the game.

wc could give a sneak peak about how they've fixed the terrible way that vanilla structures in ASE snap together thus making building difficult and not as nice looking as it could be. (They fixed the building mechanics in Atlas for example and it's so much better).

They could give a sneak peak of if they've decided to add extra items in the game like new armors or weapons that aren't in ASE which might provide hype and excitement since that's something that ASE lacks. (They did this for ARK 2 and it's one of the major things people liked and got hyped about). 

But that's not the main problem. The main problem is that they as a company have done so many things lately that have built upon each other which has caused a sense of a lack of confidence. And then when we ask for reassurance, they give us nothing to reassure? The one positive I have been hoping to see in this is that they will finally leave ASE alone like they should have at the end of Extinction. Personally, I wish they would have decided to move onto ASA before adding the intro cinematics and Rhynio. If they gonna end support for ASE then it would have been nice if they had done so before ruining it just a little bit more.

Why was I notified about this?

My predictions for the vote. These are my opinions and I only came back to look at the votes very recently within a few days of the votes closing and bear in mind I didn't have the time to read every entry below the initial posts or even the contenders that didn't make top 10.

1. Gorgonopsid, if enough people feel like there is not enough good options or they don't appear to them I can strongly assume the Gorgonopsid will win. In spite of all odds and poop flung across the battlefield.

2-3 Both fliers. I'm not giving these creatures separate sections because they don't need it. They both have the same issue of being a very strange use and purpose that doesn't seem to fall very well next to the other fliers. The Hatzegopteryx is honestly just a Carchar situation, it's a slap in the face to the Quetzal that hasn't seen a QoL sign in forever, and the Darwin flier is TOO specialized imo, and execution type abilities are very delicate for a game like this, it being primarily for killing Corrupted dinos, it basically takes the abilities of a Ferox and puts them on a Griffin. I don't personally see any reason to have this creature in the game, but I don't care about PvP so maybe this creature is very targeted at the niches of uses it is described to have in that mode. I do think that new pterosaurs would be nice, but above a few other of the contestants and then with the concepts they have as is I don't think they're very good options. I don't mind when creatures have PvP uses, infact it's more interesting and rounds them out more, but it feels terrible when we get something like Amargasaurus and it's literally just a Mortar. Nothing else. It doesn't have a saddle that let's you transport squadrons of Monkeys that hang off the sides, it doesn't help with farming or fishing, it doesn't have any synergies built into it like maybe with dimetrodon or some other temperature related mechanic, it just feels boring and a whole missed opportunity.

4. Sauroposiedon is one of the only ones i actually both like but feel like it's mechanics wouldn't work well. In Ark you have to be able to react properly to things and having a dinosaurs power locked behind a rhythm game could be a coin flip on if it'll work or not. But I do love the idea and not only to add a sauropod, it's taming method is also cool and funny, using those Drums that hardly see any light of day. Their concept could be expanded upon beyond this though and I wouldn't suggest letting this hold it back even when you don't see the full range of uses or features displayed on the page.

5. Maevia has been through a lot and I feel really sad that it hasn't gotten into the game, I think it deserves to be and it should be, unfortunately the limit on 1 vote per map has gotten it strung along next to the Gorgonops as people love it enough to not let it go even as they pick other entries for the maps. I think it should have been in Rag or Scorched if it was added. I personally think a set of 2 or 3 creatures like it, the Gorgonops and the Gigantoraptor or something else would have been the perfect additions but i don't run the votes so we're left with what we've gotten. If anything its only lost based on map theme and just having so many good votes for the ones it was in that the ones more suited to those maps was picked after the desert ones.

6. Aerosteon is one of the only entries I really just don't think has a chance, unless it somehow gets vote blasted by outside sources. Mainly because I think it feels very similar to the Yi Qi in how it is designed and functions as well as its place in the overall ecosystem of Ark. Not exactly in abilities but in tone and how it's handled. It feels like another compact swiss army knife packed into a high tek motorcycle. I don't see much reason to vote for it, especially not over the others.

7. Ozimek is one of the strangest yet kind of bland entries I've seen. I am not a fan of gliding creatures, I do not like the Yi Qi, I think it was the worst option and brings hardly anything to the game outside of its feather shooting while literally just offering an easy mode glider to people on Ab, but again I am not a PvP person. I don't care for big scale awe on its own or 360 noscope and creature that owns everything stuff as an appeal in games like this where a jack of all trades has to be done correctly or it ends up overpowered. Ozimek may be a little odd but I think it's actually one of the best ideas for the vote. It's concept is one of a crazy divebombing lizard that flies with its tongue out of its mouth and its eyes wide with what can be seen as joy as much as it can mania. The personality its been given it great, and it's just the kind of creature that fits the odd and mutated earth fauna style that Extinction has, not many entries did this well, or just slapped on Element corruption textures. I dunno about its uses exactly but I think given the attention of better focus it would be a odd all addition to the game the same way the Diplo surprised us.

8. Edmont is a really unique idea, and I say that in a good way cause I don't think a lot of people would have thought of a literal walking Flint-and-Steel. Let alone to use an Edmontosaur for it, the concept and idea is very good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's going to beat out the other contenders, especially when 2 long-running highly loved and pushed creatures like the Maevia and the Gorgonopsid are here. That being said though I still really like this creature and would love to see more of this family of dinosaurs in the game. The Anky shouldn't be the only example of its section of the dinosaur fauna.

9. Dreadnoughtus is a sad tale of a dinosaur that is very cool and interesting but is held back by its own niche and uses. The dread is a huge sauropod that is depicted to follow in the scale of the Titanosaur and be a boss fighting battleship. Hwoever. We don't need this and it is actually one of the most basic functions you could think of for a huge Sauropod, what would have stopped Wildcard from giving the Titano these abilities if they felt like it? Nothing. It's so similar it could have been swapped out, and that's an insult to this dinosaur. It could do so much more and be so much more than this round's battleram or seige machines. Or, oh, Giga slayer, that too. Cause we haven't had enough of it still I guess, even after the Carchar got designed to take it down. If this thing gets voted please don't reduce it to a ship you crash into the boss to kill it and then leave it sitting there doing nothing else. Unfortunately large Sauropods don't have the same flexibility and range of uses as the smaller and medium sized ones, so the details of it are being obscured by the presentation and its size alone. Give it more and maybe it'll be worthy of being in the game.

10. The Thylacosmilus is a creature I've seen a few times in general paleontology stuff but never seen it mentioned by people who play dinosaur games, so to see it suggested was a bit of a shock. I don't oppose it itself but I think it's far too similar to the Shadowmane and Direwolves to really stand out or validate putting it in when other creatures do what it does by the dozens. It especially is unlikely to win over the other options cause they're much more tailored to the style and scale of the map itself.