Issues with phobias when playing ARK

lucca1

I wanted to share a personal struggle I've been facing and seek your support and advice. You see, I'm a huge fan of ARK, but sadly, I've had to take a break from playing due to the development of some intense phobias. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and it has led to arachnophobia, ophidiophobia, and entomophobia (fear of spiders, snakes, and insects) creeping into my life.

It's been tough dealing with these fears, as they not only affect my daily activities but also prevent me from diving back into the world of ARK, which I used to love so much. I want to stress that these phobias are not just fleeting fears; they are deeply disturbing and cause physical and emotional paralysis. Facing these creatures, even in a virtual world (but one aiming for realistic graphics), can be overwhelming and utterly debilitating for individuals like myself.

Now, I understand that altering the game's mechanics to accommodate my fears might impact the experience for other players. However, as someone who mainly enjoys the single-player mode, I wanted to reach out and ask if any fellow players have discovered a way to disable the spawns of the following creatures in singleplayer:

• Araneo (Spider)
  • Arthropluera (Giant Centipede)
  • Dung Beetle
  • Eurypterid (Sea Scorpion)
  • Giant Bee
  • Glowbug
  • Jug Bug
  • Leech
  • Lymantria (Moth)
  • Mantis
  • Meganeura (Dragonfly)
  • Pulmonoscorpius (Scorpion)
  • Titanoboa (Giant Snake)
  • Titanomyrma (Ant)

By removing these specific creatures from my ARK experience, I believe I could regain the ability to play and enjoy the game without my phobias overwhelming me.

Additionally, if any members of this community have experienced similar challenges or have overcome their fears through other means, I would be grateful to hear about your experiences and any advice you may have to offer.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. Your support and guidance would mean the world to me and enable me to re-engage with a game that has brought me so much joy in the past.

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, lucca1 said:

Additionally, if any members of this community have experienced similar challenges or have overcome their fears through other means, I would be grateful to hear about your experiences and any advice you may have to offer.

A friend of mine was in the same boat when it came to explore caves and diving deep in the sea. What helped her overcome her fears was to go with god mode until she was comfortable without it. Now, the caves fear her!

There are most definitely mods that can do this. Especially if you learn the working of certain admin and console command mods it is totally possible. There is a literal mod for disabling pegos and stuff and I'm sure there's a mod or several servers who just completely disable Pegos and Icthyornis because of the stealing mechanics.

Do some research and try to find something that can enable you or introduce you to tools that can and I'm sure you can do it. Don't think you have to give up on the game. Changing spawns and stuff is just another game mechanic and who says you can't if you really do have such phobias interfering I understand. I have a lot of anxiety problems irl that have causes me a lot of trauma in my life and I want you to know you don't have to abandon this game merely because of fears, whether you find them something you don't think you can get rid of or a thing you've been unwittingly having to deal with.

As someone who has issues similar Especially with paranoia and stuff I will let you know that if you are eating a diet that has high amounts of gluten, wheat or corn in it this can actually intensely aggravate these symptoms thanks to people getting inflammation in the brain area due to this. So I know I may sound like a person trying to cure you or tell you to do things for something like this but as someone who had to literally omit these foods and more to live without intense anxiety and all sorts of mental issues that stemmed from just those foods effects I implore you to try it even if it only alleviates a bit. I almost possibly killed myself or at the least made myself far worse by taking pills that were supposed to be for anxiety that had wheat in them. I didn't know and hadn't looked at the bottle intentionally becuase my parents told me to not do it or id overthink it so when they said it was in my head this cemented that i wasnt just making the symptoms up.I never forgot it and I learned to always read what the ingredients of what I eat or take are.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest:

Maybe this isn't the game for you.

It most certainly is, though; I enjoy almost every part of it: the crafting, the exploration, the dinosaurs, etc. I just can't deal with the creepy crawlies.

3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

A friend of mine was in the same boat when it came to explore caves and diving deep in the sea. What helped her overcome her fears was to go with god mode until she was comfortable without it. Now, the caves fear her!

That worked for me when it came to facing sharks and the larger dinos, which used to make me afraid but, of course, rationally so. The issue with spiders, insects, etc., though, is that my fear response is not linked to the fear of losing my items or dying in the game, it's a mental and physical paralyzing reaction to their movement and their sound effects. The only way I could find to comfortably face them was by being on the back of a huge dino (either a Rex or a Bronto or whatever), from a distance that made them basically just a speck on the screen.

1 hour ago, Luux said:

There are most definitely mods that can do this. Especially if you learn the working of certain admin and console command mods it is totally possible. There is a literal mod for disabling pegos and stuff and I'm sure there's a mod or several servers who just completely disable Pegos and Icthyornis because of the stealing mechanics.

Do some research and try to find something that can enable you or introduce you to tools that can and I'm sure you can do it. Don't think you have to give up on the game. Changing spawns and stuff is just another game mechanic and who says you can't if you really do have such phobias interfering I understand. I have a lot of anxiety problems irl that have causes me a lot of trauma in my life and I want you to know you don't have to abandon this game merely because of fears, whether you find them something you don't think you can get rid of or a thing you've been unwittingly having to deal with.

I looked around and I couldn't find any mods that could disable the spawn of specific dinos other than Pegos and Ichtys, which I find very unusual since I have seen plenty of arachnophobia concerns about this game in the past. The only commands I could find to "disable" their spawns would do nothing more than just delete every one of their species that were spawned at that moment, which is a bit useless for this purpose. I couldn't find one that would actually prevent them from spawning.

Edited by lucca1
grammar

4 minutes ago, TheDraconicBard said:

How does GAD translate to issues with specific creatures ingame??

-someone with GAD

GAD doesn't directly translate to to issues with the creatures. What GAD does is it facilitates, in some people, the development of new phobias throughout their lives. I just mentioned GAD to explain how I quickly developed these new paralyzing phobias, why I could play ARK in the past but not anymore.

7 hours ago, lucca1 said:

I wanted to reach out and ask if any fellow players have discovered a way to disable the spawns of the following creatures in singleplayer:

Yes.

You can add lines to your Game.ini file to remove creatures, or to replace them with different creature.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Server_configuration#NPCReplacements

On my private server we use this to get rid of the Titanosaurs because they're annoying and pointless. The line we use to get rid of Titanosaurs looks like this:

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName=")

If we wanted to replace the Titanosaurs with something else, in this example a pteranodon, it would look like this:

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")

Notice that it uses the blueprint name for the creature, "DIno_Character_BP_C", you can find these blueprint names on the wiki if you look at the spawn commands for each animal.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I certainly wouldn't trade my mental health for a videogame.

Agreed, which is exactly why the OP was asking for information and help, not rando opinions on which games they should be playing.

If this was a game that lacks in customization options for single player then maybe 'not for you' would have been accurate, but in this game, where it's quite possible to provide a solution to the OP's issue, it's pretty callous and patronizing to just tell someone that they shouldn't be asking questions.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a lot of the creatures you listed are pretty important to the ark experience, mainly araneo, arthropleura, and the dragonflys and ants. The former are major cave critters and the latter are just something everybody has an experience with. If you are really set on Ark though, there are almost definitely ways to remove these creatures from the game assuming you are on pc. If not, there isn't much to say here.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:46 AM, Pipinghot said:

Yes.

You can add lines to your Game.ini file to remove creatures, or to replace them with different creature.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Server_configuration#NPCReplacements

On my private server we use this to get rid of the Titanosaurs because they're annoying and pointless. The line we use to get rid of Titanosaurs looks like this:

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName=")

If we wanted to replace the Titanosaurs with something else, in this example a pteranodon, it would look like this:

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")

Notice that it uses the blueprint name for the creature, "DIno_Character_BP_C", you can find these blueprint names on the wiki if you look at the spawn commands for each animal.

This sounds like the perfect solution, and thank you for that, but I'm convinced that the command is broken on singleplayer.

First of all, I have added this line—which changes the player's base Stamina value and is therefore quickly verifiable—below them to verify that this was the correct file to make singleplayer modifications (I also changed the value everytime I made modifications to the file; it worked and followed my modifications every single time, indicating that this was indeed the correct file):

PlayerBaseStatMultipliers[1]=5.0

I have been trying to make it work for hours, with no success. I added the exact code you mentioned - NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C") - under "[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode]" in the Game.ini file in the WindowsNoEditor folder, changing it to a more easily verifiable dino, the Parasaur (Para_Character_BP_C). So the first two lines of my Game.ini file look like this:

[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode]
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")

I also attempted to add spaces between the terms {NPCReplacements = (FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C", ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")}, to change the dinos involved {NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Compy_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C")}, to just remove the dino without replacing it with any other {NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="")}, to replace multiple dinos at once or just one, to use the "dynamic config" with {NPCReplacements=((FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C", ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C"))} and without a space {NPCReplacements=((FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C"))}, to put these lines at the middle or at the bottom of the text file, playing on Valguero, The Center, and The Island, to no avail. I restarted the game after every modification and used the destroyallenemies command; I also checked to see if the file kept my last changes—it always did. But still, the dino spawns remained the same.

7 hours ago, lucca1 said:

used the destroyallenemies command

...hmmm..try with:

DestroyWildDinos

DestroyWildDinos

Cheat: Yes
Target: -
Added: 207.0
Description: Destroys all untamed creatures on the map. Useful for helping newly-released creatures to spawn.
Compatible with gaming consoles: Yes
Example:

cheat destroywilddinos

-- OR --

DestroyWildDinoClasses

DestroyWildDinoClasses <ClassName> <bExactMatch> 

Cheat: Yes
Target: -
Arguments:

Name Type Description
ClassName FString Type to destroy
bExactMatch Bool  

Description: Destroys all wild creatures of the specified Class.
Compatible with gaming consoles: Yes
Example:

cheat DestroyWildDinoClasses "Ankylo_Character_BP_C" 1

---- From Wiki.gg --> https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Console_commands#Destroying_Commands

I have a few phobias myself that do translate to video games, but I've managed to conquer a couple of them somewhat in video games through exposure to them.

Thalassophobia is probably the biggest one I have which is ironic because I actually love water content in games.
But once I get into a situation where it's endless water with limited visibility.. oh boy do things get very uncomfortable.

In ARK it pretty much kept me near the shore for a long time, wouldn't go deep in the water, especially at night.
But it's not a problem for me anymore.. still makes me uncomfortable but I deal with it much better than I used to.
I can thank the Subnautica games mostly for helping me overcome this phobia, as well as SOMA to some degree and ARK.

It doesn't do jack for the real world though XD
But at least in games I can conquer it now.

On 7/18/2023 at 5:18 PM, lucca1 said:

This sounds like the perfect solution, and thank you for that, but I'm convinced that the command is broken on singleplayer.

It works, I just tested it on my single player. Have included a couple of screenshots at the bottom so you can see that it worked. Having said that, let's talk things through because ARK can be painfully finicky about how you do things.

Some of the items I'm going to mention you've already addressed, but since we're troubleshooting it's important to go through all of the points, this isn't a good time to skip steps in the discussion.

First of all, I have added this line—which changes the player's base Stamina value and is therefore quickly verifiable—below them to verify that this was the correct file to make singleplayer modifications (I also changed the value everytime I made modifications to the file; it worked and followed my modifications every single time, indicating that this was indeed the correct file):

PlayerBaseStatMultipliers[1]=5.0

I can't say anything about that command, I've never used it. Whether it works or not can't be used in a discussion of our other command, so I'm going to ignore this.

I have been trying to make it work for hours, with no success. I added the exact code you mentioned - NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C") - under "[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode]" in the Game.ini file in the WindowsNoEditor folder, changing it to a more easily verifiable dino, the Parasaur (Para_Character_BP_C). So the first two lines of my Game.ini file look like this:

[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode]
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")

A) Any edits that you make to the config files while a map is running will get ignored, ARK only reads config files at start time. If, for example, you have The Island running while you edit the Game.ini file, it won't matter because the game already read that file during the startup process, it will not recognize changes on-the-fly.

B.1) If you edit a config file while the game is running, it will overwrite your changes when you exit and revert the file back to how it looked before you started the game.

Example:

1) I'm running The Island

2) I edit the Game.ini file, save the changes and exit Notepad

3) I exit The Island

4) I re-open Game.ini to look at the contents. My changes are gone and the file is reverted back to before I did the editing.

B.2) This is true even if you're only in the menus and not running a map.

1) I exit The Island but leave the game running.

2) Edit the Game.ini file, close Notepad.

3) either start The Island or a different map, or close down ARK completely

4) I open Game.ini to look at the contents. My changes are gone and the file is reverted back to before I did the editing.

So... you must exit ARK completely before editing any files or the changes you make can get rolled back and you might not notice until later. My gut tells me that this is probably what's causing you so much grief, but in the interest of being thorough I'm going to continue to the other points.

I also attempted to add spaces between the terms {NPCReplacements = (FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C", ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C")}, to change the dinos involved {NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Compy_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C")}, to just remove the dino without replacing it with any other {NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="")}

A) Spaces

In my testing spaces don't matter (just as they don't matter with most commands inside of .ini files). Spaces are for our benefit, the game ignores them when it reads the file.

On the wiki they show the example command with a space:

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="MegaRaptor_Character_BP_C", ToClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C")

But in both of my config files (dedicated server and my single-player) I don't use spaces and it works for me in both places.

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")

B) Brackets

Just to make sure I'm not overlooking something, I'm assuming that you are using brackets { } in your post just as a way to make it more obvious where the command starts and stops, but you're not using them inside your Game.ini file.

If my assumption is wrong, then you need to remove them from your Game.ini file.

to replace multiple dinos at once or just one, to use the "dynamic config" with {NPCReplacements=((FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C", ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C"))} and without a space {NPCReplacements=((FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C"))},

I've never used the dynamic config, mainly because it's not really dynamic, really it's just a way of combining multiple commands into a single command, that's not what dynamic means in computing.

Also, I prefer one command per line which makes it easier to understand what commands are doing and easier to troubleshoot. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my ability to write compact computer code, I just want is easy to read and understand, both for myself and any tribe mates that I might ask to help me.

So... maybe the dynamic config works, maybe it doesn't. I'm guessing it does work and that it's failing you for the same reason the regular config is failing you.

to put these lines at the middle or at the bottom of the text file, playing on Valguero, The Center, and The Island, to no avail.

Agreed, it doesn't matter where in the file you put these commands, they'll either succeed or fail equally no matter where in the file they're located.

I restarted the game after every modification ... I also checked to see if the file kept my last changes—it always did. But still, the dino spawns remained the same.

When you say you restarted the game, do you mean you exited ARK completely, or do you mean you exited the individual map but kept the game running somewhere in the menus?

As discussed above, editing the Game.ini did not work properly for me unless I shut down the game completely.

I also checked to see if the file kept my last changes—it always did.

In order to be thorough I have to ask, did you exit your text editor every time before you restarted the game?  It's really easy to leave the text editor open and fool ourselves into thinking the changes are still there because we're looking at the editor screen and we forget that we need to re-open the file from scratch. That's not just an ARK thing, I've done it while editing .ini files and code for other purposes too. It's easy accidentally skip the important step of exiting the text editor every time.

used the destroyallenemies command

1) DestroyWildDinos

As noted by @CervantesMor you have to use the DestroyWildDinos command. Wild dinos are not your enemy unless you are actively engaged in combat with them, unless you're in a fight they're all Neutral to you.

2) Time, lots of it

Also, it takes a while for the map to repopulate after doing a DestroyWildDinos. My PC is almost 10 years old, and it takes 40-60 seconds before even the first new dino starts respawning. This might be faster on a newer PC or it might not, I don't know. That time delay might just be true for everyone because it's built into the game or it might be because my machine is older.

And, even when they do start respawning it takes a while before the map really feels populated. The spawn points have some sort of time delay built into them, even if every single dino on the spawn point is dead it's not going to replace them all at once.

It helps if you just sit in one location with your character facing a rock (the game tries to spawn dinos where you're not looking, if you're watching a section of the map you have to wait until new spawns walk into your field of view.

3) Pictures

And finally, just in case you want to see some proof that it's working, I replaced a bunch of dinos (Dodo, Ptera, Dilo, Lystro, Raptor, Trike, Stego, Phiomia, Carbo, Ichthyornis, Dimorphodon, Sarco & Moschops). First I replaced them with Parasaurs, then did it a second time replacing them all with brontos.

Parasaurs.JPG

Brontos.JPG

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Like 1

Also, just in case you want to see it, here is the exact text I edited into my Game.ini file for the two screenshots, copied here directly from my Notepad.

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dilo_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Lystro_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Raptor_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Trike_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Stego_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Phiomia_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Turtle_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Ichthyornis_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dimorph_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Sarco_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Moschops_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dodo_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Para_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Ptero_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dilo_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Lystro_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Raptor_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Trike_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Stego_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Phiomia_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Turtle_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Ichthyornis_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Dimorph_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Sarco_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Moschops_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sauropod_Character_BP_C")

• 3 weeks later...

Bloodstalkers activated something in me, I was actively repulsed, squicked out, felt physically ill. Over time of HAVING to use them for gen1 I was able to just immerse myself through it over a few weeks, going closer to ones my tribe were riding etc. Not nice to get there but now I can ride them and be near them fine :)

On 7/18/2023 at 8:37 PM, Seachi said:

Unfortunately a lot of the creatures you listed are pretty important to the ark experience, mainly araneo, arthropleura, and the dragonflys and ants. The former are major cave critters and the latter are just something everybody has an experience with. If you are really set on Ark though, there are almost definitely ways to remove these creatures from the game assuming you are on pc. If not, there isn't much to say here.

I think caves without the Araneo and Arthro would be empty. But you could easily, if you learned to adjust those codes, replace them with viable variants.

Araneo -> More Dilos
Arthro -> Purlovia, Megalania, Kapro instead of Sarco (most caves have them)
Ants -> More Compies, Microraptors.
Flies/Meganeura -> Vultures on the Island, why not. Could be too much of them, but maybe you can also adjust spawnrate?

Edited by SunsetErosion