Current state of official servers

FuzzyFishies

3 hours ago, FuzzyFishies said:

I've been playing on official Crossark servers for years and this is the most dead I've seen the game since the ASA announcement. It seems most players have given up at this point.

Curious if this has been anyone else's experience with official servers.

The official servers have been declining in numbers before the announcement of asa if I remember

• Volunteer Moderator
On 4/20/2023 at 3:31 PM, FuzzyFishies said:

I've been playing on official Crossark servers for years and this is the most dead I've seen the game since the ASA announcement. It seems most players have given up at this point.

Curious if this has been anyone else's experience with official servers.

I stopped playing ASE. What's the point? It's all gone in 4 months. I'll still check out ASA after release. 

Playing other games has been quite liberating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I know this doesn't track with console players as the dated consoles will not be able to play any longer but with all the hubbub, the PC crowd's playing habits hasn't changed:

https://steamcharts.com/app/346110#1m

In fact, playing has increased slightly.

There is a bunch of newish players going at it on pve.  I’d say there’s less people trying to claim all the decaying storages and vaults.   Land has been opening up and staying open.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, GrumpyBear said:

There is a bunch of newish players going at it on pve.  I’d say there’s less people trying to claim all the decaying storages and vaults.   Land has been opening up and staying open.

While anecdotal, that's still interesting. 

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

While anecdotal, that's still interesting. 

very true, my personal experience can't be truly representative of every experience.  Its just my observations from this last week.  And I don't focus anywhere near as much attention as I have in the past.

Edited by GrumpyBear

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

very true, my personal experience can't be truly representative of every experience.  Its just my observations from this last week.  And I don't focus anywhere near as much attention as I have in the past.

I'll have to jump on and look around my old servers. I haven't been on the game since the announcement. No point. I don't have much laying around officials anymore as it is. 

current state:

- players who wanna preserve the game saves after shutdown, 90% of them just refreshing base or playing very little. A good number just quitted for depression. 10% or less said they will check for ASA if it will worth (nobody "excited" at all for more demaning graphics and loosing everything, progress and community).

- new players every day (ark still selling good), 99% of them not aware of incoming shutdown, some of them asking why so few active people in servers that still have gazillion of user content. A good number of them quits immidiately or after a while they found offilciall will die in august.

- still some RMT scam bots.

- the "economoy" between tribes and players is almost no more except between new players not aware of official shutdown. Basically only clones sells for clonig price (or just allowing other players to clone by their own).

- me making random gifts and giveaway in our server community discord, trying to help people that sill wanna play and progress the storyline waiting for shutdown (we may eventually make our private community "enhanced PVE" with blackjack and hookers)

summary: sadness.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

yeah, been keeping up with a youtuber who "just" started playing. But its been single player. Sadly a bunch of his followers decided to buy and play the game after he started showcaseing it. 

How to print money the wildcard way, sell a product that is useless in 3 months.

How is it that going from ONE purchase price that includes ARK Ascended and ARK2, to NOT including ARK2 with ARK Ascended is a better decision? I mean...they really do not get it.

Mixing PC gamers with Console gamers I think is a bad idea since we are completely different breeds.

Also, is there an up to date thread that explains in detail how we will download our characters and our bases, etc from maps?

Edited by WeezerHOPw

1 hour ago, WeezerHOPw said:

Also, is there an up to date thread that explains in detail how we will download our characters and our bases, etc from maps?

If it works as before (do not see any way they will change it) they will add a selection to the server backups that says something like Hover for ASE Server list, that would list the thousand or so server backups they said they allow us access  too

image.png.dc7521f68bede9ea9626b75d6a5de99c.png 

Edited by Frack
clean it up

1 hour ago, WeezerHOPw said:

How is it that going from ONE purchase price that includes ARK Ascended and ARK2, to NOT including ARK2 with ARK Ascended is a better decision? I mean...they really do not get it.

Mixing PC gamers with Console gamers I think is a bad idea since we are completely different breeds.

I'm not sure you are able to reuse your character.  It will be on the map you were last on, but it will probably be disconnected from you once you load up the game save.  I'm not 100% sure though. My assumption would be we just force ourselves into our old tribe and take it over with a new fresh character.

You character will be gone, you will have to create a new one and force join your tribe with admin commands. Maps will be available via a download list as with old legacy severs, you can then host your own game using the save, i cant see how consoles will do this since you cant access the game files so either wildcard will have to create some kind of workaround or we get to sit back and watch a giant poo storm when all console players find out you don't even get access to the save games anymore.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I'm not sure you are able to reuse your character.  It will be on the map you were last on, but it will probably be disconnected from you once you load up the game save.  I'm not 100% sure though. My assumption would be we just force ourselves into our old tribe and take it over with a new fresh character.

@Yggdrassil @GrumpyBear

I'm not sure how it's handled if you download a map and run it on single player. I'm guessing they will have to make a change to the client for consoles. Not sure, I won't touch single player with a 20' pole (way too buggy). 

When they make the maps available, if you rent a server and upload it. You keep your character. It's as if you are logging right back into the official server on the day they took the save. Nothing changes other than everyone else is gone (lol) and you are an admin now.

I did this last time they made the legacy maps available in 2017. If I remember correctly, it's been a while. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Thanks 2

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, darkradeon said:

your browser may blocking the download for fake security reasons. check for any option about that. The download site doesn't use https for the download so modern browser will block them, but usually you can just open the download pop-up and allow it.

I'm using Edge, up to date with plenty of popup and ad blockers. Downloads just fine for me without intervention.

But like Dark said, the zip file is being served via http so some browsers will balk at downloading it unless you allow it.

Edited by Joebl0w13