Remove or Increase Tether on Xbox

Detrik

Suggestion

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

• Like 1
  • Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Allow console players to fry their consoles. Great idea.

When I first started playing ARK on my XBOX ONE S, single player split screen with my kids, there was a tether distance adjustment bar in the set up.  we played with it at its max (which was pretty fa

69 replies to this server topic

Man I am about to sell all of my ARK stuff that I have acquired over the years, i used to suggest it to people all the time but now I wouldn't suggest to to my worst enemy for the insanity that it causes, Does anybody at wild card even play the game? because it takes less than 5 minutes to find out for yourself how effin enraging it is!!!

On 2/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Detrik said:

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

I agree I have it on PS4 and I get super annoyed that my friends and family can't do thier own thing while in the same sever

Drag Tether in nondedicated multiplayer

recently i was looking for a way to turn the nondeicated multiplayer drag tether off in the options and saw a video on how to do this.....on the computer. but i dont have3 a gaming computer, i have an xbox one. i cant find the same option that is available for pc in the xbox options menu. that seems a bit odd. could you please add an option to the xbox one options menu to turn the tether dragging off?

my reasoning is simple. i play this game mostly with my nephew. e4specially right now with everything going on with the crisis. i have been babysitting my nephew through the xbox an entire state away (he is old enough to be home alone for short periods now but it makes my sister feel better to now he has contact with someone). as such we have been playing a lot of ark together online. this has overall been very helpful for both of us. it kept him calm and gave him enjoyment while home alone and it kept me distracted from the troubles going on right now. but we keep getting frustrated with the game too. lets be honest ... its kinda a buggy mess. dinos able to shove their faces several block lengths through walls..... plant species x not firing like it should... setting slider values being confusing.... unable to stop certain wild dinos and resources from spawning inside my bases despite having pillars and foundations everywhere and the settings for spawn radius set.... and of course the drag tether that wont quit.

often we get draggted for being out of range even when we are standing right next to each other.its very confusing to get caught in a dragloop when you onlyu want to take 5 steps away from host. thats of course the worst part. but it is still also annoying when you reach the default max tether distance and get yanked back to host. it means we have to be holding hands with everywhewre we want to go and everything we want to do. we cant split up and save time by doing our tasks seperately. also we often end up accidently dying together and losing all inventory because host dragged one of us off cliff. its very disruptive to gameplay.

that being said it is not a total curse. i must givecredit where credit is due. it is actually a two edged sword because we have also saved each others lives using the drag tether too. mostly by drgging one another away from a trex or by dragging each other away from the radiation zone in aberration etc. we also manage to helpget lost dinos or other dinos stuck on cliffs to safety and back to base by riding said dino and having host drag us to base.... but honestly its definitely more annoying than it is helpful.

i dont want to play on a real time public server either. especially not with a young child due to contact with strangers. but also because its a lot of constant work tomaintain the dinos and bases from raiders. not to mention the giga draggers (players that delight in dragging gigas to other groups bases for fun). so please add an option to turn host tethers off

If you want to play so badly with friends and family I suggest buying a server for said device. Use nitrado. It's trusted, advertised by ask itself and supports for pc, Xbox and ps4 servers. It's not that much for a server of 10 people and it won't have a tethering at all!

https://server.nitrado.net/eng/offers/ark-survival-evolved-ps4/?sctid=

Dear Wildcard Studios,

Please remove the tether limit on windows 10 (slider) because PC's can more than handle no tether limit for one person. Tether distance cripples the fun of ark because you cant really explore and it would be nice to play with friends and not be on a leash. This "leash" ruins the fun of ark all together because its just not entertaining sticking together the game is all about exploration and grinding resources.

Sincerley,

strong541

I have a question for you guys (wildcard studio) why did you guys remove the tether distance for Xbox one, because I want to play ark with my family and friends in my own server with no tether can you guys please add the choice to have the tether or not please?

Edited by FinancedBongo87

Its not something that can happen due to console limitations. If you want to play with your friend your best bet is to find a server to play on, there's plenty of unofficial servers out there so you'll find something that suits your play style sooner or later, or you could set up your own if you really wanted to play with just your friend.

On the steam version, the tether can be extended. But still an issue with caves or other areas considered different zones. Also, for the steam version its simple to setup a dedicated server as long as you can port forward and have a spare PC to run a server.

For console turning off tether is like asking for permission to destroy your console. And it will not pass the certification process. 

Console options are to rent a dedicated server.

The tether is there so you can play the game with out fault. Me and my friends used to play with the tether way before unofficial ever existed. But the main thing I recall from that was when ever the host died the tether broke. Thus the everyone crashed out of the session. The point being that both the console and PC tether is there for a reason. If the tether wasn't there the game would kill your console or PC. 

Your best bet is to find a unofficial server or gather your friends together and host your own server. I'm doing that now for those same friends and we are having a blast. 

As others have mentioned the reason the tether is there is due to the limited resources (processing power, memory, and limitations on how fast your hard drive or solid state drive can load) the consoles have. Yes, they could put in an option to adjust the length but to be honest the tether is more likely then not already optimized. Stretching the tether further would require more memory and would put a much greater load on your consoles processor and storage media. If your console starts to run out of memory your game will crash, if it overloads the processor and/or storage media everything will start to run really sluggish. It'd take much, much longer to load bases or new terrain as you get closer to it assuming the game doesn't crash from the strain or worse yet, causes so much heat output so as to damage your console at which point you'd need to buy a new one.

Long story short: Sorry, it can't be done. The tether is there to keep your console alive and healthy.