Taming a 150 Giga

Ochakos

So I'm in single player, trying to see if I can tame this 150 giga, and last night I was sitting there for at least an hour continuously shooting darts into it, and today I've been doing the same thing for just as long except with tranq arrows, because I've seen everyone say those work better than the darts for the giga. Maybe I'm just impatient (it is a 150 after all) but it's taking so long that I'm starting to wonder if I'm not doing this right. I looked up videos of people taming 145 gigas and another person taming a 150 and they both used way less ammo than I have; not only did they also use darts and not arrows, but they did it a lot quicker than I am too. I'm just getting a lot of mixed info because even though I read a few posts with people saying arrows are better, these videos show otherwise and so does Dododex, which showed that you use significantly LESS darts than arrows to knock a 150 giga out.

Is there a "best place" to shoot it that I'm missing? Are arrows ACTUALLY better than darts for this thing or is that just a myth? I'm kind of ready to give up at this point after seeing people who used darts being able to knock it out within half an hour while I've been shooting and shooting with arrows and nothing is changing. I have no idea if I'm even close to knocking this thing and if I'm not, I would rather just give up and find one of a lower level. Chasing it around every time I get no more than six arrows into it is really annoying.

You would normally require two shooters because the torpor drops extremely fast, that can be circumvented by a high damage mc or asc crossbow / longneck.

In short, get a stronger xbow. When it runs it will run far and you wont be able to catch it fast enough to keep up torpor so i suggest (especially since its a 150) to set a metal dino gate trap and get it in.

Theres no special tricks, just keep shooting. It took over 100 arrows in my asc xbow to down a 140 i had trapped. 

Edit: After a reread you need to trap it. Take a disposable bird and set a bag + box near to hop to after its in the trap (if u cant survive trapping it that is)

11 minutes ago, d1nk said:

You would normally require two shooters because the torpor drops extremely fast, that can be circumvented by a high damage mc or asc crossbow / longneck.

In short, get a stronger xbow. When it runs it will run far and you wont be able to catch it fast enough to keep up torpor so i suggest (especially since its a 150) to set a metal dino gate trap and get it in.

Theres no special tricks, just keep shooting. It took over 100 arrows in my asc xbow to down a 140 i had trapped. 

Edit: After a reread you need to trap it. Take a disposable bird and set a bag + box near to hop to after its in the trap (if u cant survive trapping it that is)

Ohhh okay, I can't believe I didn't think of that before! I'll give it a try now; thanks for the help!!

As d1nk said, you need to trap it. Put down five metal dino gates (just the regular sized ones) in a rectangle with one of the short ends open. Use a trash Ptera to bait the Giga in, then quickly run around and pop down the last gate. You'll probably want to put a large bear trap down in the middle to help keep the Giga still.

Just a note, it's a lot easier, too, if you leave a little space between each gate. Not a lot, just enough for your character to walk through. The Giga is pretty fat, so getting him into the trap normally may be a little tough.

Also I'm not sure how familiar you are with Giga taming, but just be ready for insane Torpor drop once it's down. You'll pretty much need to have food on hand or access to meat very nearby (<60 seconds), or that sucker is gonna wake up

4 hours ago, Ochakos said:

So I'm in single player, trying to see if I can tame this 150 giga, and last night I was sitting there for at least an hour continuously shooting darts into it, and today I've been doing the same thing for just as long except with tranq arrows, because I've seen everyone say those work better than the darts for the giga. Maybe I'm just impatient (it is a 150 after all) but it's taking so long that I'm starting to wonder if I'm not doing this right. I looked up videos of people taming 145 gigas and another person taming a 150 and they both used way less ammo than I have; not only did they also use darts and not arrows, but they did it a lot quicker than I am too. I'm just getting a lot of mixed info because even though I read a few posts with people saying arrows are better, these videos show otherwise and so does Dododex, which showed that you use significantly LESS darts than arrows to knock a 150 giga out.

Is there a "best place" to shoot it that I'm missing? Are arrows ACTUALLY better than darts for this thing or is that just a myth? I'm kind of ready to give up at this point after seeing people who used darts being able to knock it out within half an hour while I've been shooting and shooting with arrows and nothing is changing. I have no idea if I'm even close to knocking this thing and if I'm not, I would rather just give up and find one of a lower level. Chasing it around every time I get no more than six arrows into it is really annoying.

Always trap the giga with four metal dino gates.  Place 3 gates with a bear trap in middle lure him in, then throw the last metal gate behind him.  Then you can pelt the sucker with arrows without worrying about missing.  Arrows are cheaper just keep in mind that it is going to take 600 plus arrows with a primitive crossbow, and for everyone of those arrows there is  10 second torpor fill that stacks, so you could empty your entire 600 arrows in the giga and it may still be up since the torpor is applied over 10 seconds.  always bring extra tranq arrows.  Darts and a longneck are just too expensive to justify using on a giga.  DONT FORGET TO HAVE THE NEEDED NARCOTICS TO KEEP THE GIGA DOWN AFTER YOU TRANQ IT, IT HAS A 3 MINUTE TORPOR DRAIN.

2 hours ago, HiImZech said:

giga is one of the few dinos that we recommend to use berries instead of drugs due to the fact you need to ramp up the amount of time it takes to bring torpor back up

berries are better in every situation, they're just less convenient. there is no tame in the game where narcotics are **better**. the only downside to berries is the weight. 100 berries is 10 pounds but refills 750 torpor over 5 minutes. narcotics fill the torpor up twice as fast but there is no benefit to filling it up faster, it just makes your tames more work because you have to come top them off sooner.

berries, 7.5t/3 seconds, 2.5t/sec

narcotics, 40t/8 seconds, 5t/sec

biotoxin, 80t/16 seconds, 5t/sec

5 hours ago, vkaslad said:

berries are better in every situation, they're just less convenient. there is no tame in the game where narcotics are **better**. the only downside to berries is the weight. 100 berries is 10 pounds but refills 750 torpor over 5 minutes. narcotics fill the torpor up twice as fast but there is no benefit to filling it up faster, it just makes your tames more work because you have to come top them off sooner.

berries, 7.5t/3 seconds, 2.5t/sec

narcotics, 40t/8 seconds, 5t/sec

biotoxin, 80t/16 seconds, 5t/sec

Really using narcotics is better because of taming effectiveness. More you force feed the less taming effectiveness it gets.

2 hours ago, JackTLWL said:

Taming effectiveness is based on time and had nothing to do with using narcs or berries hence why you get 1 extra level on a double weekend because the time taken to tame increased hense higher taming effectiveness you could feed it a billion berries and you'll still get max level on a kibble tame 

uh what? I could of sworn this was the case.... I could of sworn once I fed like 100 narcoberries to something the effectiveness became lower... didn't eat anything and didn't get hit....

Just to add from my experience:

1) Use metal gates, but unless positioning and terrain is -perfect- it's not going to be big enough with just 4.     7 or so gives a lot more room for error

2) You don't need a sacrificial animal, a bear trap works.     Just hurry the hell up with the last gate once you hear it go off.

3) Tranq arrows over tran darts, make sure you're using a good -2- bows, sometimes it takes so long that your first bow will break, especially if it's not MC or ascended.

4) Make sure you have ALL THE NARC IN THE WORLD on you.    It's going to take a lot, ~1000 iirc, and it loses torpor FAST.     If I recall correctly once it drops 4000 torpor that's the equivalent of 100 narcotic, so you can immediately pump all 100 and buy yourself around 10 minutes each time after it loses that much.

On ragnarok I tame them  in the highlands only. Basically just because we can utilise the creek canyon for a pen. Just need 2 behemoth gates and lure the bugger off the edges into the canyon. Easiest way I've done it. 3 have been tamed this way including a lvl145. Solo tamed with acendent xbow, and long rifle with shock and tranq darts. Lots of mutton around to help feed the beast.

Just make sure you keep an eye out to make sure nothing else tries to jump in there with ya. 

If I may share some of my experience here from someone who successfully tamed/bredded 20+ gigas solo on official hardcore/primitive servers.

Trap It!
At the very minimum, 4 metal dinosaur gateways are required if properly spaced out. Stone gateways can also be used if you are short on metal, but i'd recommend double a double layered setup to prevent it from escaping. (Metal is mandatory for any high level giga as it will eat stone in seconds.)

If you are cheap like me, you can use the terrain to your advantage! Multiple locations (especially on the island) can be used as a natural trap from which the giga can't escape. My favorite one is roughly at 43 long, 15 lat. You also need a set of large bear traps in the middle to buy yourself time to close the trap once your catch is in.

Prep work.
From experience, I'd recommend killing everything breathing in the vicinity of the cage because the giga WILL aggro anything that get within its range. You can use your flyer as a bait, but it's safer to use a disposable life form that roams around. If the giga manages to bite you, the bait will die first, taking most of the dmg you would normally take.

Trust me, you don't want any high level gigas to bite you if you can avoid it. Heck, on our unffocial cluster, wild dinos are capped at level 300 with gigas doing as much as 2k per bite.

Tranq it down!
Countless players can and will argue as for what is the the best method to tranq down quickly a giga. I used both tranq darts and arrows methods. Arrows are hands down the most efficient and quick method of doing so.

1- Far cheaper to craft, far cheaper to fix 1-2 ascendant crossbox than a single asc longneck.
 2- Torpor stops being applied by time the gun has been realoded (longneck), thus wasting a lot of ammo when the gun lags the hell out, won't reload, etc.
3- Arrows gives you a much better control on the application of the torpor as it keeps raising for a good 6-7 seconds after the shot, thus allowing you to space your x-bow shots by 5 secs.
4- Be patient. High level giga takes a lot of time to go down, torpor can takes as much as 5+ mins to go up and will most of the time stays maxed out for a few minutes once the beast is downed.

Narcotics.
As for narcotics managament, easiest/stress free method is to calculate the amount of torpor needed for the entire tame.
Ex: Your giga need 400 narcs (low level one) for the duration of the tame, let it go down 16k (4k per 100 narcs) torpor, then feed it 400 narcs all at once. In every case, by the time the topor has finished going up, it will be the time to feed your giga and insta/tame it. This works for level 10 gigas as well as for level 300 ones. No need to babysit the giga.

Regards and good luck!

Hello,

You are lucky to find a 150 take care of that rare creature.

But yes a higher damage crossbow is the difference you see.

You need a flyer and not a trap, avoid water and once sleeping use berries. Get help guarding the beast. More Argents if alone.

I started taming lower level Giga just to know how. The reach and speed is like nothing else and solo is hard. I tamed two high level solo but I needed others to help getting all that is needed after. Food berries guarding and torpor.

Have fun

Ariana

why do you need to guard a giga nothing will come biting it. collateral damage is another thing altogether use a yuty or rex to shoo them then pick them off

trapping it will make it easier on yourself when it starts running away since a flyer will eventually need to land and all flyers will get attacked by a rex. you don't want to waste time trying to catch up to a runaway giga especially if its heading into a forest

Archived