Pre tame stats question.

Grandta

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I was just trusting that Ark smart breeding displayed the info correctly, which it clearly did not...It may not support wild melee in the Extraction tab. in the testing tab, it shows correctly (24 points = 220.0 melee). Since the whole purpose of the comparison screenshot is how you can't predict post-tame point distribution based on pre-tame, the actual melee value being wrong isn't important as long as the points are right xD

I'll try saving some pre-tame stats tonight and see if/how they change and try to report it if it's a bug in smart breeding.

49 pre tame points would be 33% (above the 25% limit) of total points on a 150.....was this recently?

The limit is definitely not 25%. I once downed a 145 Saber on officials that had 39 (~27%) wasted points (it had 850 hp, it was ridiculous) and I recently spawned a 150 wild Giga on my private server that had 40 pts ( ~27%) into melee (300% melee).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

And did you find your stat? I bet you would have found it had you been taming them.

Doubtful. I am looking for 800 base weight because I sit at 760 (45). A 150 Argy on 2x gains 74 levels. Which means an average stat roll would apply 12 levels. This means to have the best chance I need to be looking for pre-tame weight of 38 points (708). RNG seems fickle. The other day I knocked out a 145 Argy that had 680 weight pre-tame. An average stat roll of 11 levels would have pushed that weight to 768 (46). I got 4 levels (712). That being said, I'd definitely tame a 680 again if the average stat roll would surpass my current weight but Stego kibble is finite, time is finite, Argy spawns are infinite. In this case patience is the virtue. 

5 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

The limit is definitely not 25%. I once downed a 145 Saber on officials that had 39 (~57%) wasted points (it had 850 hp, it was ridiculous) and I recently spawned a 150 wild Giga on my private server that had 40 pts (60%) into melee (300% melee).

:Jerbcry:  I could assume the 5%-25% window may have been a more recent change to the game, and that it doesn't apply to special case dinos like the giga.. but i Hate making assumptions, i just want to know the truth of how it actually works.

If anyone has the dev kit installed and feels like poking around...Please enlighten me :$

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

The limit is definitely not 25%. I once downed a 145 Saber on officials that had 39 (~57%) wasted points (it had 850 hp, it was ridiculous) and I recently spawned a 150 wild Giga on my private server that had 40 pts (60%) into melee (300% melee).

I'll try to find the screen shot tonight but I downed a 150 rex with 2320 (5 levels) in HP before. You'd hope for melee or stamina to be superb but they were just average. If I can find it I'll find the date of the screen shot and post it up. 

OK want to clear some things up before yall keep moving forward. I am trying to take notes.

1. Pre-tame and post-tame stats matter YES or NO I wish there was a poll option in here.
  2. I want 30-40 points in a stat collectively OR in at least pre-tame and I hit the lottery if I get something like that again post-tame?

I don't have a PC at home to install the smart breeder program and don't know of a smart phone app with will do this stuff. So I am trying to know what to look for and will have to do some math myself. I don't want to waste time with pre-tame stats if post tame is all that matters. It seems like pre-tame would matter to accuracy purposes but maybe it's just not worth the time? It gets annoying trying to keep up with this as the math changes from pre to post-tame.

22 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I'll try to find the screen shot tonight but I downed a 150 rex with 2320 (5 levels) in HP before. You'd hope for melee or stamina to be superb but they were just average. If I can find it I'll find the date of the screen shot and post it up. 

Perhaps the 5%-25% only applies to post tamed wild levels then... and the pre-tame follows a different set of rules o.O

2 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I was just trusting that Ark smart breeding displayed the info correctly, which it clearly did not...It may not support wild melee in the Extraction tab. in the testing tab, it shows correctly (24 points = 220.0 melee). Since the whole purpose of the comparison screenshot is how you can't predict post-tame point distribution based on pre-tame, the actual melee value being wrong isn't important as long as the points are right xD

I'll try saving some pre-tame stats tonight and see if/how they change and try to report it if it's a bug in smart breeding.

49 pre tame points would be 33% (above the 25% limit) of total points on a 150.....was this recently?

That rex wasn't recently, but a roll rat with 49 melee levels was about 4 weeks ago.  I've never once heard of a 25% limit, though.  There's an average which will be the most common case that would be somewhere around 25%.  I also have a bunch of examples of 45+ movement speed levels on knock out, so wherever you got the 25% limit info was mistaken.

11 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

OK want to clear some things up before yall keep moving forward. I am trying to take notes.

1. Pre-tame and post-tame stats matter YES or NO I wish there was a poll option in here.
  2. I want 30-40 points in a stat collectively OR in at least pre-tame and I hit the lottery if I get something like that again post-tame?

I don't have a PC at home to install the smart breeder program and don't know of a smart phone app with will do this stuff. So I am trying to know what to look for and will have to do some math myself. I don't want to waste time with pre-tame stats if post tame is all that matters. It seems like pre-tame would matter to accuracy purposes but maybe it's just not worth the time? It gets annoying trying to keep up with this as the math changes from pre to post-tame.

Some think pre-tame matter, Some think they don't... Post-tame always matters. when you tame a dino, all the bonus levels it receives from taming effectiveness goes into WILD levels. Those make the breed-able stats.

While pre-tame value is debated, most agree that you want 40+ points post tame. for things like un-ridden boss fight dinos, you would only really care about health and melee. For utility dinos like an anky/doed/beaver/mammoth etc you would care more about weight and melee. For something you will ride around on, you will likely want health stam weight and melee.

If you ever plan to breed for mutations later, it is very important that you avoid all mutations until you have your all stat, 0 mutation pair.

2 hours ago, DeningWei said:

I used to do that for a long time with rexes.  Hundreds upon hundreds of rexes I rejected based on pre tame stats.  In the end I believe now that I was wrong.  Most of the best stats I have gotten there was absolutely no indication of it in the pre tame stats.  If the kibble is common then tame everything level 145+ and you will succeed at finding your stats much more quickly.

This, pre tame stats are just an indicator, but luck being involved, post tame stats is the only thing that matters

29 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

1:  Post-tame, pre-leveled stats are the only stats that MATTER.  Pre-tame stats can be a good indication of about where the post-tame stats will end up.

2:  If you're looking for boss-tier stuff, you typically want to settle around 50 HP and 50 melee levels in the end.  Less than that number can work, and more is a blessing, but that's the typical goal.  Keep in mind,  it's a lot harder to push the number up through mutations than just finding a god-tier knock-out.

7 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Some think pre-tame matter, Some think they don't... Post-tame always matters. when you tame a dino, all the bonus levels it receives from taming effectiveness goes into WILD levels. Those make the breed-able stats.

While pre-tame value is debated, most agree that you want 40+ points post tame. for things like un-ridden boss fight dinos, you would only really care about health and melee. For utility dinos like an anky/doed/beaver/mammoth etc you would care more about weight and melee. For something you will ride around on, you will likely want health stam weight and melee.

If you ever plan to breed for mutations later, it is very important that you avoid all mutations until you have your all stat, 0 mutation pair.

Utility dinos don't need to be perfect by any means.  A trash 150 rex pre-tame is still going to be an effective meat gatherer.  That's the utility of a rex.  I had a 130 rex that was mutton tamed and got smacked by an ant 15 seconds before stand-up dropping efficiency by 40%.  That rex has been invaluable to my scorched base for meat purposes.  The same applies for any utility dino.  If I need an anky for metal, I'll look for any 130+ anky to tame up.  Even if it's trash in the beginning, you can get it to a more-than-adequate position eventually.

8 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

That rex wasn't recently, but a roll rat with 49 melee levels was about 4 weeks ago.  I've never once heard of a 25% limit, though.  There's an average which will be the most common case that would be somewhere around 25%.  I also have a bunch of examples of 45+ movement speed levels on knock out, so wherever you got the 25% limit info was mistaken.

It's possible the 25% limit only applies to post-tame stats... i believe everyone in this thread that has something outside of the limit was referring to pre-tame stats.

Did the roll rat's melee or any of the 45+ movement speed dinos stats exceed 25% post tame? average on 7 stat dinos would be about 14%. on 6 stat dinos about 16%.

18 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Utility dinos don't need to be perfect by any means.  A trash 150 rex pre-tame is still going to be an effective meat gatherer.  That's the utility of a rex.  I had a 130 rex that was mutton tamed and got smacked by an ant 15 seconds before stand-up dropping efficiency by 40%.  That rex has been invaluable to my scorched base for meat purposes.  The same applies for any utility dino.  If I need an anky for metal, I'll look for any 130+ anky to tame up.  Even if it's trash in the beginning, you can get it to a more-than-adequate position eventually.

No Doubt. After the weight reduction changes to most utility dinos, breeding them is far less important than it used to be. Though after the speed changes, the 20% speed boost from 100% imprinting is a pretty good reason to breed some of them ^_^

45 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

It's possible the 25% limit only applies to post-tame stats... i believe everyone in this thread that has something outside of the limit was referring to pre-tame stats.

Did the roll rat's melee or any of the 45+ movement speed dinos stats exceed 25% post tame? average on 7 stat dinos would be about 14%. on 6 stat dinos about 16%.

No Doubt. After the weight reduction changes to most utility dinos, breeding them is far less important than it used to be. Though after the speed changes, the 20% speed boost from 100% imprinting is a pretty good reason to breed some of them ^_^

Allow me to say this a different way:  The only limit I've ever heard of for any dinos period is the 450 level cap.  Anything 450+ will despawn on server restart.  I know accounts of people mutating far beyond 25% in a single stat.  I, myself have found a unicorn of a megalo with 85 movement speed levels (I almost threw up at seeing a 145 megalo with level 60 stats.)  At 85 wild levels on knock out in a single stat, that's more than 25% of a 225 post-tame 100% efficiency (which isn't possible on a megalo anyway.  Like I said,  I believe wherever you got that 25% limit information, they're mistaken.

About my comment of utility dinos,  sure, breed to your heart's content.  It will make them more useful.  I'm simply saying that for utility purposes, if you find a 150 dino, regardless of where its stats went, it'll be useful.  If you then choose to breed it, it will be better.  I'm just saying you'll be hard pressed to find a level 150 wild dino that wouldn't make for a good utility dino.   (Though my stupid 145 megalo knock out wouldn't even have served that purpose....)

Thanks @SingleSidedPCBand @banggugyangu I understand much better now. Would be nice if a good calculator existed for mobile devices for those of us who only have a work computer and have no need of a personal one. (I mean I’d love to have a gaming one but just isn’t in the cards right now. PM me if you’d like to make a donation :Jerblove:)

6 hours ago, SirPeter said:

Thanks @SingleSidedPCBand @banggugyangu I understand much better now. Would be nice if a good calculator existed for mobile devices for those of us who only have a work computer and have no need of a personal one. (I mean I’d love to have a gaming one but just isn’t in the cards right now. PM me if you’d like to make a donation :Jerblove:)

There is a site which has an app version and it does taming calculations with bonus info bout wat can carry, wat can trap it, wat it fits thru.  Thn theres a stat distributor app that u can plug its wild stats into to see how its stats hav been distributed.  Landdragons the owner, google it

11 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

Allow me to say this a different way:  The only limit I've ever heard of for any dinos period is the 450 level cap.  Anything 450+ will despawn on server restart.  I know accounts of people mutating far beyond 25% in a single stat.  I, myself have found a unicorn of a megalo with 85 movement speed levels (I almost threw up at seeing a 145 megalo with level 60 stats.)  At 85 wild levels on knock out in a single stat, that's more than 25% of a 225 post-tame 100% efficiency (which isn't possible on a megalo anyway.  Like I said,  I believe wherever you got that 25% limit information, they're mistaken.

About my comment of utility dinos,  sure, breed to your heart's content.  It will make them more useful.  I'm simply saying that for utility purposes, if you find a 150 dino, regardless of where its stats went, it'll be useful.  If you then choose to breed it, it will be better.  I'm just saying you'll be hard pressed to find a level 150 wild dino that wouldn't make for a good utility dino.   (Though my stupid 145 megalo knock out wouldn't even have served that purpose....)

Yup, there is a 450 level cap on officials, and yup you can mutate well beyond the 25% (have done so myself). The 25% is about the total distribution of "random" levels from taming (now that we know its definitely not about pre tame wild levels). I'm going to assume your referring to a Megalosarus and that's certainly outside of the limit. If your referring to a Megalodon, anything that doesn't have an oxygen stat still wastes points in oxygen, and since there's no way to know how many wasted points are in oxy and how many are in speed the calculators put them all in speed. So all water dinos will potentially break the 25% limit in speed.

If only the devs would interact with us and let us know how things like this work :|

13 hours ago, SirPeter said:

My opinion

1) Yes. So since Ark uses a random number generator for everything (from loot crate quality, to loot crate positions, to wild stats distributed, colors distributed, etc.) you always have the chance for just a monster number roll. If you down a level 150 anything and it has it's base level in a stat pre-tame and you "perfect" kibble tame it on 2x and receive a 74 level distribution, all 74 levels could conceivably go into that one stat. The pre-tame stats help you play the odds.

Taming is roulette or blackjack or poker. It's having a number in mind (I want to start my breeding line with 45 points in hp, stamina, and melee) and then taming the dino that gives you the best chance to get that number. You just have to use the information supplied to you. So lets break it down by 2x rates. You drop two 150 Rex's. Pre-tame One has 27 levels in hp (7040) and the other has 32 (8140). You're preference to start a breeding line is 45 levels and on 2x an average stat roll would distribute 12 levels into each stat. You have enough kibble for one tame so the odds favor the one with 32 hp levels pre-tame to get as close to 45 hp levels as possible. All that information could be for naught of course since it uses such a random algorithm.

I tamed on back to back days two 150 rex's with  7480 pre-tame hp. It was 2x so despite having 9900 post tame hp off of a 7700 pre-tame hp, I gave them both a shot. Tame 1 ended up with like 8500 hp. Tame 2 ended up with 10120 hp. So like roulette, blackjack, and poker sometimes you may want to gamble and hope for things to fall just right, like those games though consistently gambling gets expensive and you'll go broke more than you'll hit. 

2) If you are just starting your line, I'd give anything that dododex lists as a high level distribution a tame early on. Also if you have an excessive amount of kibble. You can be more discerning with your tame choices as your line progresses and apply time saved to breeding or other upkeep/exploration adventures. 

The maker of dododex has mentioned (don't remember source) that he'd like to incorporate something like smart breeding into his app and that it is a work in progress, in the meanwhile, ss of stats could give you a good data bank to refer to or even just the old pen and paper. That way you can look back when trying to determine if that pre-tame stat is worth giving a go. 

14 hours ago, SirPeter said:

1. Pre-tame no, post-tame yes. Some of my best rolls have been on "trash" pre-tame stats that half the people here would have abandoned after 2 minutes. Random is random, there's no accounting for what TE bonus is going to do. So this also answers 2. to an extent, in that I look for 30-40+ in post-tame only. However, there is one critical factor here that I also take into consideration when looking for stats:

Rarity of the animal. I will accept a slightly wider range of wild level and gamble more on RNG if the animal I'm looking for is harder to find. So for example I'd only tame level 150 ankys, but I'll take 135+ spinos. The amount of RNG that goes into finding good breeding stock is kind of crazy when you think about it, and if I have the supplies to do it I'd just as soon give myself as many chances as possible instead of relying on a nebulous, ultimately random metric that has little to no bearing on the final outcome.

I think this actually comes down to a matter of personal taming style more than an actual numbers game, honestly. No single answer will be the right one, because it's all random and confirmation bias is strong. There isn't a "correct" way to do it. I don't understand why anyone would limit themselves by only accepting high pre-tame stats when it's the post-tame that matters, but I'm sure many people would also argue I'm wasting time and taming supplies on trash low-rollers. If we all actually compared notes, I would guess we have a similar ratio of keepers to trough fillers at the end of the day. Server type also plays into this; I would probably be a lot pickier too on official rates.

Do it the way that makes the most sense to you, or even run a small experiment to decide which you prefer to do. Tame say 10 dodos and write down both their pre- and post-tame stats, and see if there's any correlation between them. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe my opinion is different because I started playing before other maps, kibble and breeding existed, so we learned to take what we could get. Maybe I'm less selective because I prefer a lot of rarer animals, so I often don't have the luxury of choice. Experience and playstyle account for a lot when it comes to these types of decisions.

2 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Yup, there is a 450 level cap on officials, and yup you can mutate well beyond the 25% (have done so myself). The 25% is about the total distribution of "random" levels from taming (now that we know its definitely not about pre tame wild levels). I'm going to assume your referring to a Megalosarus and that's certainly outside of the limit. If your referring to a Megalodon, anything that doesn't have an oxygen stat still wastes points in oxygen, and since there's no way to know how many wasted points are in oxy and how many are in speed the calculators put them all in speed. So all water dinos will potentially break the 25% limit in speed.

If only the devs would interact with us and let us know how things like this work :|

I was indeed referring to an aberrant megalosaurus.  So yeah,  As I said, it seems wherever you got that info was misinformed themselves.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

and if I have the supplies to do it I'd just as soon give myself as many chances as possible instead of relying on a nebulous, ultimately random metric that has little to no bearing on the final outcome.

Thats the misconception. You lower your overall chance of a great tame by wasting time taming dinos with very low chance to come out good. You don't have all time in the world to do it. It's pretty much the same reason you should not play lotto ever. The chances are so slim that you can round it to a guaranteed lose. And it doesn't matters how many tickets you buy. You increase your chance to get rich by a so insignificant number, it doesnt even increase your chance to get rich by some random event. For example you stumbling over a treasure (which does actually happens).

It's the exact same for taming. If there is a 150 with 10 levels in the stat i want, it's a guaranteed junk tame. Taming it will not increase my chance to get a good tame.

This is my favorite thread. I understand now that being concerned with the pre-tame stats increases my chances to have something good or better than good etc. If I am limited on resources/time/rarity/whatever I can be much more effective with focusing on pre-tame and helping ensure the post tame will be better even though there is still the chance none of the points go to the desired stat. But if I am not as concerned with the numbers I can still tame something average and the chances exist it could be good, but overall if I am looking for the best then I will have to get lucky on both pre-tame and post tame.

Is that somewhat right? haha It makes sense in my head. If my understanding is correct the most neutral way of saying it without triggering anyone should be:

Pre-tame and post tame stats (can) both play a part in the outcome of the tame. However depending on what the player is looking for and how serious/particular/(fill in blank) some players only care how the tame ends up and don't concern themselves with pre-tame numbers as the tame could still get good stats even if the pre-tame stats were not impressive. While others like to only invest resources into possible tames if the pre-tame stats are already stacked in the desired categories. There is still the possible outcome that the target stat will not get any of the points in post tame. The amount of points in any one or more categories is up to each player but the popular consensus is between 30-40 points in any one (desired) stat.

There ya go and now everyone can agree to disagree and now whoever is the most knowledgeable can start a breeding thread I can stalk like I did this one. Class is in session! I am not sure if this one has been hijacked or not.. and I don't even know if the OP got his question answered or not...

21 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

I was indeed referring to an aberrant megalosaurus.  So yeah,  As I said, it seems wherever you got that info was misinformed themselves.

They claimed to get it directly from the dev kit, and i validated it as best as i could from the 150 or so sets of dino stats i currently have in my smart breeding library. A lot of those 150 dinos are bred, and themselves represent the best stats for 50-100+ tames each. I've also been playing with the same group for about 2 years, some of them also breed, and none of us have ever seen more than 54 wild points in a fresh tame (outside of dinos without oxygen). That's a whole lot of data backing it up.

So as you see, it wasn't just some rumor. It also makes logical sense from a game balance perspective that there would be a limit.

While i don't doubt your aberrant megalosaurus with 85 points in speed, i would really like to see more data from multiple sources before i say the 25% limit doesn't exist. Ark has (lots of) bugs, and there may be special cases. If anyone reading this has a dino that had more than 25% of its tamed wild points in a single stat please post a screenshot. I would really like to figure this out ^_^

• Volunteer Moderator
16 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I could not disagree more with that. By combining your stats for mutating purpose you ends up with ghost markers which results into twice as more eggs needed to mutate a specific stat. I will always recommend to keep your stats separated and never duplicate markers until you have 20 that are mutations in the stat you are looking for. This is how I used to do on legacy:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/272654-officially-killed-beta-and-alpha-dragon-on-official/&do=findComment&comment=1584212

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/272654-officially-killed-beta-and-alpha-dragon-on-official/&do=findComment&comment=1584359

2 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

While i don't doubt your aberrant megalosaurus with 85 points in speed, i would really like to see more data from multiple sources before i say the 25% limit doesn't exist. Ark has (lots of) bugs, and there may be special cases. If anyone reading this has a dino that had more than 25% of its tamed wild points in a single stat please post a screenshot. I would really like to figure this out ^_^

I personally don't believe the 85 and was most likely the results of an outdated stats calculator. As far as I know, the max points into a single stat used to be 62 without mutation. At least, this was the max non-mutated stats that was being traded around from players that were taming wild babies.

15 minutes ago, SirPeter said:

This is my favorite thread. I understand now that being concerned with the pre-tame stats increases my chances to have something good or better than good etc. If I am limited on resources/time/rarity/whatever I can be much more effective with focusing on pre-tame and helping ensure the post tame will be better even though there is still the chance none of the points go to the desired stat. But if I am not as concerned with the numbers I can still tame something average and the chances exist it could be good, but overall if I am looking for the best then I will have to get lucky on both pre-tame and post tame.

Is that somewhat right? haha It makes sense in my head. If my understanding is correct the most neutral way of saying it without triggering anyone should be:

Pre-tame and post tame stats (can) both play a part in the outcome of the tame. However depending on what the player is looking for and how serious/particular/(fill in blank) some players only care how the tame ends up and don't concern themselves with pre-tame numbers as the tame could still get good stats even if the pre-tame stats were not impressive. While others like to only invest resources into possible tames if the pre-tame stats are already stacked in the desired categories. There is still the possible outcome that the target stat will not get any of the points in post tame. The amount of points in any one or more categories is up to each player but the popular consensus is between 30-40 points in any one (desired) stat.

There ya go and now everyone can agree to disagree and now whoever is the most knowledgeable can start a breeding thread I can stalk like I did this one. Class is in session! I am not sure if this one has been hijacked or not.. and I don't even know if the OP got his question answered or not...

This is definitely a good thread. no trolling, name calling or fighting just friendly discussion and debate ;)

You should pay close attention to pre and post tame stats for awhile, and decide for yourself if you think pre tame matters...

If you have questions about breeding, start a new topic. you'll get the answers you seek :D

Archived