The servers getting wiped aren't fair for a majority of the players

Ethorbit

Most of us have spent a great deal of time on the game, on the official servers, probably on a server that is on a list of servers to be terminated, shut down forever, out of the blue.. With very little notice.

This just simply isn't fair, to do this all because the game is going on release, getting out of early access.

I'd like to read other user's reactions to the list of servers going down..

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reality buddy. Its a business at the en of the day the decision was made to preserve your character and dins and stuff this was the lesser of 2 evils and you should be grateful that you got this the other option was to wipe everything like 90% of other games coming out of beta. Moan all you want but they have dont most people a favour. 

Ill quit ark, my server will get killed too.

But its in my opinion not fair to shutdown in just - what? 4 days?

Imagine everybody needs now an Ark to upload and download 400 Dinos AND stuff also.

Thats not done in so less time.  Fair would be to tell that 1 month earlier, that now no panic will start.

Again a point on the "Ark hates their players" list for me.  If i imagine now, from my server  are 3 big bases at blue with lots of dinos and stuff. How to handle that?

To get a bit mats back, ppl will demolish a metal base ofc. and upload the stuff. That bases close to me will mearly need only a whole day to destroy their buildings.

I raised dragons just 3 days ago. Thanks, if this fúcking list would had been exist earlier, i never would had make that sleepless nights and days.

For what? That i can now start another base, upload all my stuff like the apokalypse will come?

No. Thats it for me. I had over 2 years with that game with 3680 hours playtime.  I lost poop tons of stuff and dinos because of bugs and issues.

I always thought to keep on... keep on and keep on. But now they want to destroy my home? All what i have left?

Okay, fine. There are so many other games to play. Destroy the server, destroy my home and dinos. Ill upload the best and give them away.

But i dont be like a headless chicken now and start panic like all others, how the hell my stuff will be in time on another server.

Its already so, that the arks are full of dinos from new players. And yay. Why to bring away and make space for the next? Its offline protection, so why not blocking the ark?

Again its so clear that wildcard gives a massive ton of poop about players. 4 Days to move big bases? To find a server, find a place to live, find a place for all of the dinos? Great plan Wildcard. Dont care about that massive stress, as long as YOU have fun.

Quit and start over on new, or go unofficial (maybe using the save game, if even possible on Xbox/Win 10 UWP).

It's going to be pretty difficult to find a new server now given the timeframe, makes more sense to me to just leave it all and start fresh. I don't have much of a base anyway given I only started on SE about a month ago but I can imagine for some of the tribes on my server it's going to be difficult, especially as I'm not sure they're even leaving many SE servers up to transfer to.

Well...well....well we tried to migrate to another server....went to an Obelisk....oh build in no way in there....went to the next Obelisk yai got lucky one door missing. Uploaded everything we wanted to take with us and went on one of the servers that is not on the List. Ark primitive cause we like that. Hey spawned on the beach went to red Obelisk....oh build in and guarded with plants.....grumbling a lot and some rants later moved to the green Obelisk....Oh wonder oh wonder also build in and guarded. WHAT THE HECK?! I mean really? Is it on every server like this? How are we supposed to get of that server if every damn Obelisk is litteraly shut down? Dear Wildcard Gms forgive me for beeing a little bit angry but pls do something about those tribes who clearly dont go by the rules. And yes I could write a support ticket but I already have one pending and no answer to it yet because they are flooded with requests. And yes even if we would have sent someone to scout that someone would also not be able to leave the server and transfer again because you cant access the Obelisks.

20 minutes ago, Voodoozwiebel said:

Well...well....well we tried to migrate to another server....went to an Obelisk....oh build in no way in there....went to the next Obelisk yai got lucky one door missing. Uploaded everything we wanted to take with us and went on one of the servers that is not on the List. Ark primitive cause we like that. Hey spawned on the beach went to red Obelisk....oh build in and guarded with plants.....grumbling a lot and some rants later moved to the green Obelisk....Oh wonder oh wonder also build in and guarded. WHAT THE HECK?! I mean really? Is it on every server like this? How are we supposed to get of that server if every damn Obelisk is litteraly shut down? Dear Wildcard Gms forgive me for beeing a little bit angry but pls do something about those tribes who clearly dont go by the rules. And yes I could write a support ticket but I already have one pending and no answer to it yet because they are flooded with requests. And yes even if we would have sent someone to scout that someone would also not be able to leave the server and transfer again because you cant access the Obelisks.

this issue been around 6 mnths ago, its the servers alphas tribes taht scared of the invasion of 40 chiniese or ryssians and wiping them in a heartbeat, ithappen on the server i was on and in ttribe , after 4 days after i joined half of the floating base on apillar just taken a small bit of, and in north the most protected base they find a tiny crack where turrents dont shoot so they managed too blow on that side .. like DILO.

They gave us 4 days to discourage tribes from migrating... and it worked in our case.

It's a business - loyalty to a fanbase vs monthly server rental cost...   and cash is king

The part about this that hits me the hardest is the poor management and communication skills.  They give figures and dates and don't follow it.   And ... another post will come out...they'll give more figures and dates...and i continue to trust them.  It's like a bad relationship lol

Our tribes starting fresh in a few days...ready for more abuse :/

3 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

Isnt fair? Most games wipe everything from beta going into live. I was shocked they were letting people keep anything much less everything. They made a huge mistake in promising you could keep anything. Im sure they learned their lesson.

after all the months of complaining, I'm sure they still haven't learned their lesson. They will when they lose +50% of their players and when no one buys their game/dlc anymore. but that won't happen, the cycle of life goes on..

I have been extremely critical, probably overly so against wildcard making this move on short notice coupled with no support for legacy. In short, I'm the last person at this point to be a fanboy. I really do however, believe they will stick to what they said about only wiping legacy servers with almost no human activity from here on. I believe this because of the extreme backlash of their current decision and repeating it, to any extent, would be just plain stupid. So anyone who wants to stay legacy.. stay. I am, and have no plans to quit or start over on the new cluster. And Im not going to live in fear of my server being wiped in the near future either. 

22 minutes ago, Arkonautalus said:

Ok all of you need to calm down. Its just a game. Take this opportunity to make new friends and join the new servers

Agreed, I'm joining one of the few new PvE servers with all the people that just didn't want to be civil with any current server. Because after all they should be able to build where they want and not have to play nice with anyone. Understandably, they should have everything and have it now.  I'm also looking forward to new players building right next to me, right down on the beach where it blocks everybody.  I always thought it was cool this happens and it gives me an opportunity to mentor them. Psyched man! See you there

10 hours ago, WarriorCupcake said:

They gave us 4 days to discourage tribes from migrating... and it worked in our case.

It's a business - loyalty to a fanbase vs monthly server rental cost...   and cash is king

The part about this that hits me the hardest is the poor management and communication skills.  They give figures and dates and don't follow it.   And ... another post will come out...they'll give more figures and dates...and i continue to trust them.  It's like a bad relationship lol

Our tribes starting fresh in a few days...ready for more abuse :/

Oh this is not poor management and communication skill, they very well knew what they were going to do. They Simply lied about it to keep players on. If they had been honest 2 months ago (when they released the official 10% lowest server repupose announcement), players would have had 2 month to review bomb and spread the news to stay away from this game. Peoples using Twitter has beaten a freaking earthquake in speed, Washington D.C.(i think it was) got warned about the incoming earthquake before they even felt it. That's 2 months of that speed of bad press and people talking to each others WC could not have.

Moreover, planning for a repurpose of that magnitude isn't done in a week, that's months of preparations if you want this to be executed swiftly and without hitches (8 hours to, delete, patch, changing server names, opening servers internally to test acess, hotfix them, retesting, test the new DLC servers).

WildCard totally knew what they were doing, everything was pretty much intentionnal.

10 hours ago, WarriorCupcake said:

That doesn't make any sense.  They said they're taking down these servers, and adding new ones.  So, they save money by taking down servers, and spend money opening new ones.  Anyone with a middle school education could see that they could have just left the low population servers online, and used them for the new players.  The only way to potentially save money in this way is if there will be fewer servers than there are now.  I say "potentially" because they stand to lose more business than they gain from making such a ridiculous decision.

From context, it appears that they want to have servers to accommodate new customers.  Assuming they also want to keep their current customers, the number of servers will likely be as many as there are, or slightly less, unless they're planning not to make very much money at all on game sales with the "official" release.  It may be possible, however, that they maybe do not want to hang on to current customers, because they will probably not generate additional sales;  those of us here already have the game, so we won't pay their retail price for a still-incomplete game, and although we may drop a small price here and there for some downloadable content, it won't be nearly as juicy as getting new game sales.  So, perhaps this "official release" is the last hurrah, a cash-grab for as many new player sales as they can muster, followed by abandonment.  That is, in fact, a strategy we have seen employed by many other developers.  Release, get your sales, and move on to the next thing.

Let's just think about it logically for a moment...

If there's supposedly no one or almost no one on a server, then new players can populate it.  There is vacancy, a void to fill.  It does not make sense to take it offline, only to raise another one in its place.  That is an unnecessary step, and one that is only pissing a lot of people off, myself included.

A "new" server will start just about as empty as any of the servers on the list.  It could be as simple as re-naming the servers, if being perceived as "old" is the problem at hand, which it likely is not.  And, who cares if it's hosted on a new machine from the one it's currently on?  A server is a server.

And, to those who keep cluckin' about how "it's coming out of 'early access' "...  What one needs to realize is that this term, "Early Access" is a meaningless title.  It is there as an excuse for being unable to develop a game properly with closed testing.

The fact is that this game was released some two years ago, for free, in a very incomplete state...

After a while, they started to charge a lesser amount than other complete games on their release, in order to increase funding to continue the work of improvement and as a reflection of its lower quality from having been released too early...

Now, it is more than two years old, and approaching a more respectable state, so they've begun to charge more - they put their product on the market well before they should have, and now we're supposed to think that everything before magically did not count.  Calling August 29th "official" is asinine;  what we will be getting in 4 days equates to just another patch, although I'm not sure I will continue to play, now.

Archived