T Rex

Whistle

Just saw this on the BBC.. Ark devs must have seen this research already.. ha ha ha ha!

The size and weight of a T. rex would have prevented it from moving faster than 20km/h (12mph), research suggests.University of Manchester scientists used a new computer simulation to assess the speed of the massive biped. Based on T. rex's muscles alone, the model came up with a maximum speed of 30km/h, but this dropped to 20km/h when skeletal strength was assessed too.

Had it moved from a brisk walk to a sprint, the dinosaur's legs would have snapped under the weight of its body.

''That means that T. rex was actually quite slow and therefore not a pursuit predator.''

18 minutes ago, Whistle said:

Just saw this on the BBC.. Ark devs must have seen this research already.. ha ha ha ha!

The size and weight of a T. rex would have prevented it from moving faster than 20km/h (12mph), research suggests.University of Manchester scientists used a new computer simulation to assess the speed of the massive biped. Based on T. rex's muscles alone, the model came up with a maximum speed of 30km/h, but this dropped to 20km/h when skeletal strength was assessed too.

Had it moved from a brisk walk to a sprint, the dinosaur's legs would have snapped under the weight of its body.

''That means that T. rex was actually quite slow and therefore not a pursuit predator.''

It also had feathers and the in game head is too big. Spinosaurus is too small, giga too big, quetzals too strong and not hairy enough, allosaurus too weak, bronto... Basically wrong in every way. Pteras can't carry humans, therizniosaurs was likely so feathery that it's face looked like an owl, pulminwcorpious was about the size of a dog, raptors where too small to ride and as feathery as birds, all pterasaurs including pteradon had a fuzz across their body,  the colorations of a single species would be nowhere near as diverse as they are in ark, carnotaurus was a fast pursuit hunter like cheetah, Titanosaurs and nowhere near as large as they are in game, mosasaurs should be much smaller, megaladon should be the size of the mosa, dunkies had lips, etc, etc, etc. 

This game is miles, miles, miles away from realistic. But that doesn't matter

55 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

It also had feathers and the in game head is too big. Spinosaurus is too small, giga too big, quetzals too strong and not hairy enough, allosaurus too weak, bronto... Basically wrong in every way. Pteras can't carry humans, therizniosaurs was likely so feathery that it's face looked like an owl, pulminwcorpious was about the size of a dog, raptors where too small to ride and as feathery as birds, all pterasaurs including pteradon had a fuzz across their body,  the colorations of a single species would be nowhere near as diverse as they are in ark, carnotaurus was a fast pursuit hunter like cheetah, Titanosaurs and nowhere near as large as they are in game, mosasaurs should be much smaller, megaladon should be the size of the mosa, dunkies had lips, etc, etc, etc. 

Thanks for this.. i was actually only joking and making a flippant comment as Rex speed was nerfed recently.. i wasn't actually saying i thought all the dinos were realistic in any way tbh.  It was a post to just lighten the mood away from all the patches/glitches/insiding/delayed release et al.

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Most important thing: Pteranodon had NO teeth, but ours in Ark have. Pteranodon = Toothless wing. I still hope, devs will remodel it... :D 

Funnily enough just seen this article on the BBC as well. If we are going to start discussing realism, one has to take note that the dinosaur in the game is not a Tyrannosaraus rex, but in fact a Tyrannosaraus dominium. Therefore the rex in game shouldnt even be calleda rex.

None of the dinos in game are real species apart from a very few, with only the kentro having the same scientific name as its real life counter part as far as I am aware. Most of them are made up species and therefore artistic licences is allow :P .

that probably why is bite was 1000 time stronger than the giga. I dont know if the rex would have avoid fighting when he was much more heavy and much more deadly than is competition . There is proof that T-Rex did Fight Triceratop and during those fight he would often bite the horn so hard that they would brake. There is one triceratop that got there horn broke by a T-Rex and the bone healed up so that mean the trike ad escape or kill the T-Rex. Its hard to imagine how a T-Rex would have been since this thing was massively more heavy than is other cousin .

IMO the theory that he was a scavenger if you look at the hyena kinda make sense since the hyena as a powerful bite able to crush bone but unlike the hyena the T-Rex was heavier than the other hunter. So its really hard to make connection since since in or actual world scavenger are often less dangerous than the hunter. But there the brown bear but the brown bear does nt have a power full bite for is size. I really wish they figure out the rex in my life time.

Very interesting stuff when they look some of the dinosaure bone under the X-Ray they realize that the bone himself as an history.

To follow up with the game i doi think that the Megalodon need a buff in size. A megalodon Teeth is 100 time bigger than one of a great white shark adult . Speaking of shark. They made a video recently with the biggest great white ever filmed. 

this is a must watch. Its kinda funny how calm this giant killer is. 

You don't need to be particularly fast when your prey isn't either.  There are numerous fossils of wounds from rex teeth that healed, and even a vertebrae that healed around a rex tooth, so the scavenger theory is at most only partially correct.

2 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

There's so much wrong in this though.  Megalodons in game scale to about 60 feet, which is an optimistic maximum.  The average should be 40-50 feet.  You just think they're small because everything else is oversized.  K mode to your character compared to them.  Rex and spino are both too big already.  Some dromeosaurs(raptors) were very large, and some close to carno sized. 

But I don't really care that it's not realistic because it's cool.  As for model consistencies, the older dinos tend to be less realistic with newer ones being moreso.  Change in art direction.  Hyped for the creature updates coming.

From what I read, in real life tyrannosaurus hunted with their young. These were much lighter, faster and could actually do pursuit predation. So they could diversify their prey that way: the younger specimens chased smaller, faster prey, while the adults focused on things like triceratops. I don't know if they hunted sauropods though, rex couldn't open it's mouth very wide which would cause problems attacking them.

1 hour ago, FenTheReaper said:

There's so much wrong in this though.  Megalodons in game scale to about 60 feet, which is an optimistic maximum.  The average should be 40-50 feet.  You just think they're small because everything else is oversized.  K mode to your character compared to them.  Rex and spino are both too big already.  Some dromeosaurs(raptors) were very large, and some close to carno sized. 

But I don't really care that it's not realistic because it's cool.  As for model consistencies, the older dinos tend to be less realistic with newer ones being moreso.  Change in art direction.  Hyped for the creature updates coming.

True, I wasnt exactly researching well, I was just pointing out ways in which theres are inconsistencies, and that the game not being accurate is not an issue.

3 hours ago, Whistle said:

Yup they got the speed right. Now if only they would watch one of the documentaries that explains how Tyrannosaurus had the strongest bite of any animal that walked on land 9_9

Anyway Jack Horner's whole assertion that it could only scavenge is based on flawed reasoning. It rests on the assumption that only animals built like a cheetah can be a successful hunter. By that logic snakes, sharks, komodo dragons, and crocodiles would also exclusively scavenge. Different hunting methods for different types of prey.

It also had feathers

This has been debunked. Look it up. Of course there are still people trying to hold on to the idea of a feathery Rex, but they're trying to put feathers on the parts of the body where skin impressions have not yet been found. It's not based on any actual evidence.

9 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Yup they got the speed right. Now if only they would watch one of the documentaries that explains how Tyrannosaurus had the strongest bite of any animal that walked on land 9_9

Anyway Jack Horner's whole assertion that it could only scavenge is based on flawed reasoning. It rests on the assumption that only animals built like a cheetah can be a successful hunter. By that logic snakes, sharks, komodo dragons, and crocodiles would also exclusively scavenge. Different hunting methods for different types of prey.

This has been debunked. Look it up. Of course there are still people trying to hold on to the idea of a feathery Rex, but they're trying to put feathers on the parts of the body where skin impressions have not yet been found. It's not based on any actual evidence.

Bite strength is good for combat, but not the sole determining factor: consider teeth sharpness and serrations. Allosaurus and giga were very good at that and relied on slicing the opponent rather than crushing it. Which worked very well.

4 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Bite strength is good for combat, but not the sole determining factor: consider teeth sharpness and serrations. Allosaurus and giga were very good at that and relied on slicing the opponent rather than crushing it. Which worked very well.

True. And that's why I think that they did a good job in designing Allosaurus. That slicing action would allow it to bleed the prey to death, which is what makes Allo so deadly in this game. Especially against extreme health targets such as Titanosaur.

Now if you compare T-Dominium to Giga, Megalosaurus, Wyvern, Mosa, or Plesi you'll see that it just has a facepalm-worthy bite force compared to the T-Rex that it's supposed to represent. Even a slap from a bear does more damage...

2 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

True. And that's why I think that they did a good job in designing Allosaurus. That slicing action would allow it to bleed the prey to death, which is what makes Allo so deadly in this game. Especially against extreme health targets such as Titanosaur.

Now if you compare T-Dominium to Giga, Megalosaurus, Wyvern, Mosa, or Plesi you'll see that it just has a facepalm-worthy bite force compared to the T-Rex that it's supposed to represent. Even a slap from a bear does more damage...

yeah, true. In this game the rex is so infinitely more massive than those, and could certainly make a target bleed even more. Definitely should be much stronger

6 hours ago, Whistle said:

bbc sounds like they need to sack there researchers :Jerbmad: how the heck do they think trex hunted? by chasing down prey at a brisk walk? its pretty widely scientifically accepted that creatures like rex relied on ambush and a short intense burst of speed to take down prey , and bone isn't static like rock its always  changing in strength and density under load so a massive creature is going to have extraordinarily strong bones! 

34 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

yeah, true. In this game the rex is so infinitely more massive than those, and could certainly make a target bleed even more. Definitely should be much stronger

Eh. I think the Rex is plenty strong enough as it is. I mean, there's a reason it's the primary offensive animal in the game. If anything, I wish the Rex had more weaknesses so that other animals could actually stand up to it. Then again, I haven't played since the Rex speed nerf. Maybe it's a bit more balanced. 

7 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Now i get where your coming from... but allow me to flex my paleo autism erm... With recent skin impressions found rex was more likely naked rather than feathered with every (admittedly small) patch of fossilized skin found on its body showing naked tubular skin Spino is nearly 80 feet long in game not "too small" and with spinos short legs now a days it had to look up at rex, Allosaurus was always a 2-3 ton wimp, a Therizinosaurus skull was never found but all Therizinosaur skulls are long and "horse-like" with relatively small eyes not sure even with all those feathers and skin it could look like and owl. Coccosteus the most complete placoderm known has a few soft tissue specimens showing no lips.

.... Everything else is spot on.... REEEEE

7 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

You forgot titanaboa. Boa is in the name = none venomous :Melee_Damage:

1 hour ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Eh. I think the Rex is plenty strong enough as it is. I mean, there's a reason it's the primary offensive animal in the game. If anything, I wish the Rex had more weaknesses so that other animals could actually stand up to it. Then again, I haven't played since the Rex speed nerf. Maybe it's a bit more balanced. 

Oh, I mean for a realism standpoint. It's massive jaws should be stronger than the plesi's or megalosaur's tiny heads. 

It is hard to balance these creatures in a realistic way, though, because a massive dino with a head half it's size should make quick work of it's opponents. In this game it would make the rex downright broken, however.

Archived