Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

6 hours ago, BobRoss said:

Can someone ANTI WIPE give me a decent reason that is not selfish as to why WC shouldnt wipe their server on release?

I was going to suggest reading the thread since people have given a long list of compelling, unselfish reasons why a wipe is a bad idea but then I noticed we're at over a thousand posts. So I'll just repost some of my own since they're in my post history and easily found rather then have you go through all that.

Here's one:

"We have a history of "equal playing fields" in ARK. SE had an "equal playing field." The PvE servers were covered in pillars and there was constant kiting of animals to other bases in order to acquire better/more land. In PvP it was similar but with direct attacks between players.

Same thing has happened with new maps each time.

As for item duplicators, once they lose everything do you know what they'll do? Duplicate, duplicate, duplicate. They've wiped before and the duplicators just kept duplicating.

To those who want a wipe:

Instead of sharing your hopes and dreams for what you believe a wipe will accomplish how about looking at what happened in similar scenarios or even wipes in the past? We have plenty of evidence pointing to a release wipe being a bad idea. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary."

Here's another:

"And for PvE it'll be even easier. All those players will need to do is drop a pillar with a ceiling on it to claim land. No need to even build anything else until the area they want is secure. Wiping the servers is definitely going to change one thing. Servers are going to be a hell of a lot more hostile to new players than they are now. No more welcome centers. No older players giving them free supplies or dinos. No more unlocked taming pens. Everything's going to be destroyed and the veterans will be too busy rebuilding to care. Global chat is going to be fun. :D"

There were several more of my own posts but it seems the post history isn't that long. You may have to read the thread after all. Sorry. 

Now that we've got that out of the way, are there any reasons that aren't selfish for wanting a wipe? As has been shown in the past most of the reasons pro-wipers give have been proven to be false. Like equal playing fields, no alphas for a time, new players having it easier without established tribes, etc. Seems the only actual reasons for a wipe are personal/selfish. Clobbered by alphas, not getting the land one wants to build on, and trying to keep up with the joneses but failing.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BobRoss said:

Can someone ANTI WIPE give me a decent reason that is not selfish as to why WC shouldnt wipe their server on release?

All the reasons for either side of this argument are selfish. Even asking this question is making presumptions that your argument is morally superior to anyone from the "Anti Wipe" side as you call them. Personally, I couldn't care less one way or the other if they wipe or don't wipe. 

So the Pro Wipe stand point can basically be boiled down to this:

The servers should be wiped because of Duping, Greedy alpha tribes that will ruin the game for newcomers and that it is unfair to new players just buying the game because they didn't have access to the game when there were advantages to dinos and such that are no longer around.

In counter to these arguments, why should all the current players lose all their progress because of the bad actions of the dupers? Yes the dupers should be punished, but not every other player. As for Greedy alpha tribes ruining the game for new players. That would happen regardless of a wipe or not. Do you think the new player will have any chance against an organised alpha tribe? Most of these Mega alpha tribes would be back up to where they are in no time at all. As for the unfairness to new players because they are joining a game and aren't on equal footing. Why should they be rewarded for waiting until full release to buy the game? They didn't support the game during early access like the current player base did. Why should the current player base be punished for supporting the game during early access? 

A lot of the pro wipe argument boils down to "Well it is EA, you should expect a wipe." Well yeah, it is EA, but that doesn't mean there has to be a wipe. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be a wipe either. If Wild Card feels that is what they should do for the best interests of their game, that is fine. To call for a wipe simply because it is an EA game is asinine. Both sides quote Jeremy as having said a year ago that there would be no wipe. The pro wipe side saying that quote doesn't matter because that is a year ago and things have changed. Yes, things have changed. It is an EA game after all. Things are bound to change. The fact that there has been no other official word on this subject (aside from the Right Hand stating in an interview that he is for a wipe personally) speaks volumes. The only word on this subject officially has been that there won't be a wipe, and so players have played accordingly. It is very selfish of the pro wipe crowd to think that the time these people have spent playing the game on the official servers should not count for anything. 

What I read from most of the people posting for the wipe is that they are bitter players that have been wiped by "Greedy Alphas". Do you truthfully want the wipe for the betterment of the game? Or is it more to get revenge on the "Greedy Alphas" that ruined official PvP for you?

2 hours ago, electricblooz said:

they WON'T do this, because it will require activating additional, new, servers which cost money they don't have.

I think they said relatively recently that they didn't have a problem with money for new servers when the game comes out; I suspect your 'EA Veteran's Retirement Cluster' is the most probable course of action. I was thinking about this whole thing earlier and I think that probably is the way it'll go down!

Wildcard doesn't need to wipe.   They have a xbox/windows 10 compatible version in the works and thats the wipe.   Thats the project wildcard needs to focus on with network changes and to police to prevent exploits.

The steam version is the wild west.   No reason to wipe it to lose player base.  The elitist jerks will have everything back within a month of two.  The filthy casuals will be the ones hurting.

5 hours ago, Ringo said:

It's not about whos pro wipe or whos against it the bottom line is I would of never spent over 3000 hours on a game I knew was going to be wiped at the end. Love the game but the fact they said they wouldn't wipe I played thinking I had nothing to worry about. I still would of played a lot but there's different mind sets involved. I haven't really played at all except to reset my timers and feed my dinos since they said it was a possibility. The longer it takes for them to actually announce it the more mad people are going to be.

I agree why they are dragging their feet simply and not simply saying here is the end plan? the longer they wait the worse it will be for both sides. Being an official X box PvE player that has given away literally 100's of dino's to new players I can say the benevolence new comers receive (on most servers) will be nonexistent if there is a wipe and they will be facing unforgiving competition for some time while the non Alpha tribes (small tribes) carve out their space using the experience they have to do so. Honestly I won't play again if there is a wipe but if I did I would start day 1 pillaring every spot I wanted instead of trying to build a small house and grow from there since I completely understand how effective this is and the best spots to build on and where all the resources are. New players will be screwed if there is a wipe (PvE) but if there is not most will find an open welcoming environment to grow in (not on all servers of course).

The Following story is what a new player to the game this week has encountered. Imagine this x10000's extra on official release day. WC would be committing the game to a death sentence if they don't do a wipe at release. Or if they don't make a zillion new servers that can not be transferred into from old servers.

Let me paint the picture. I've been on this game for a week on Xbox and the first server I join was 47 (official) didn't know what I was getting myself into but it seem like the right choice. When I spawned on the beach south 2 the first thing I notice in global chat was a bunch of name calling and asking who's " alpha " while being spit at by what looks like an overgrown lizard. As I'm punching a tree the ground begins to shake and this T-Rex fossil with the biggest witch hat ever is coming down the beach. This was the alpha, he began to ask if I was new and drop so much raw meat and hide that I couldn't move to pick up the other 30 packages. He said " we are a friendly tribe, we patrol the coast to make sure no trolls attack and help out new players. " So now I'm like hell I can dig this. Thyen in the same breath he said " but you cannot do bosses, build in any caves, or build near us. " Me being a fresh naked noob who was now rich from hide and raw meat I'm like sure gotcha no problem. Later I found out that this how you get TEK gear and building in caves well I'm still trying to figure that one out. I ended up switching servers because the ideal of controlling something that was meant to be played was just stupid and not to mention they block every supply drop. I transfer to 136 and it looked promising. No one had built on Herb island. So I figure I could build a raft on the south east coast and set up runs back and forth for metal. By this time I grab a couple of friends and got them hooked on the game so now we became a tribe ( A Tribe Called Quest ). Everything seem to be going well until a lvl 100 decide to bring what was the fastest tiger/bear/saber/lion I've ever seen that could literally climb up walls . Well time to pack up and hit the road again. Server 371 was the straw that broken the camel's back. I text in global chat as soon as I arose on the beach " hey is this sever friendly " and the Alphas ( 4 inches Buff ) or something like that responded " yes " Well that was a lie. A giga came and destroy my first base and said he was partially blind yea right. Rebuilt again and I fire dragon came a blew fire inside of my stone walls. He said that one of the guy's wife was playing and may have been a little blood thirsty. Ok whatever but after coming to an agree like explaining to them that I'm friendly and only want to build and stay away from alpha. They said it was cool. 9 behemoth gates later with a base inside of it I felt like I this is the farthest I have been in the game. We then was approached by the ugliest lizard dragon you ever saw and he explained. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP THIS SERVER SMALL. SO WE PURGE. WE NEVER KNOW WHO TRANSFER WITH A TEK(something) IN THEIR BASE WAITING TO WIPE US. I DONT MINE YOU HAVING 2 PEOPLE BUT YOU CANT HAVE ANYMORE. I then turn to the lvl 4 viewer that had just join the tribe from my stream and said " sorry bro I gotta kick you or everything we spent 10 hours to build will be destroyed ". He was pissed but understood. I finally felt like ok I have formed some kind of relationship with the alpha and figure the sky is the limit. Woke up this morning YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED BY A LVL 311 QUEWTZ............____  THIS GAME

Sorry that happened to the guy but that is what you get on PvP... it's not right, or wrong, it just is.

It has been stated a few times that there are no plans to wipe official upon release. To handle the influx of new players they are going to release new servers(Jeremy had already said "they can afford it"). 

The whole issue here right now with everyone going back and forth is so many people and they all either play on PvP, PvE, Official, Unofficial, etc..etc..etc...

My own personal opinion is that official PvE should not be wiped. As for the rest of the servers... wipe or don't wipe since I don't really play on them it's not my place to say what should or shouldn't happen to them. Can everyone else say the same?

33 minutes ago, spacejam said:

The Following story is what a new player to the game this week has encountered. Imagine this x10000's extra on official release day. WC would be committing the game to a death sentence if they don't do a wipe at release. Or if they don't make a zillion new servers that can not be transferred into from old servers.

Let me paint the picture. I've been on this game for a week on Xbox and the first server I join was 47 (official) didn't know what I was getting myself into but it seem like the right choice. When I spawned on the beach south 2 the first thing I notice in global chat was a bunch of name calling and asking who's " alpha " while being spit at by what looks like an overgrown lizard. As I'm punching a tree the ground begins to shake and this T-Rex fossil with the biggest witch hat ever is coming down the beach. This was the alpha, he began to ask if I was new and drop so much raw meat and hide that I couldn't move to pick up the other 30 packages. He said " we are a friendly tribe, we patrol the coast to make sure no trolls attack and help out new players. " So now I'm like hell I can dig this. Thyen in the same breath he said " but you cannot do bosses, build in any caves, or build near us. " Me being a fresh naked noob who was now rich from hide and raw meat I'm like sure gotcha no problem. Later I found out that this how you get TEK gear and building in caves well I'm still trying to figure that one out. I ended up switching servers because the ideal of controlling something that was meant to be played was just stupid and not to mention they block every supply drop. I transfer to 136 and it looked promising. No one had built on Herb island. So I figure I could build a raft on the south east coast and set up runs back and forth for metal. By this time I grab a couple of friends and got them hooked on the game so now we became a tribe ( A Tribe Called Quest ). Everything seem to be going well until a lvl 100 decide to bring what was the fastest tiger/bear/saber/lion I've ever seen that could literally climb up walls . Well time to pack up and hit the road again. Server 371 was the straw that broken the camel's back. I text in global chat as soon as I arose on the beach " hey is this sever friendly " and the Alphas ( 4 inches Buff ) or something like that responded " yes " Well that was a lie. A giga came and destroy my first base and said he was partially blind yea right. Rebuilt again and I fire dragon came a blew fire inside of my stone walls. He said that one of the guy's wife was playing and may have been a little blood thirsty. Ok whatever but after coming to an agree like explaining to them that I'm friendly and only want to build and stay away from alpha. They said it was cool. 9 behemoth gates later with a base inside of it I felt like I this is the farthest I have been in the game. We then was approached by the ugliest lizard dragon you ever saw and he explained. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP THIS SERVER SMALL. SO WE PURGE. WE NEVER KNOW WHO TRANSFER WITH A TEK(something) IN THEIR BASE WAITING TO WIPE US. I DONT MINE YOU HAVING 2 PEOPLE BUT YOU CANT HAVE ANYMORE. I then turn to the lvl 4 viewer that had just join the tribe from my stream and said " sorry bro I gotta kick you or everything we spent 10 hours to build will be destroyed ". He was pissed but understood. I finally felt like ok I have formed some kind of relationship with the alpha and figure the sky is the limit. Woke up this morning YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED BY A LVL 311 QUEWTZ............____  THIS GAME

And that is where PVE is so much different than PVP. On the PVE servers I play on (592, 327 and 759SE) we have a community that often helps new players get established, giving them advise and often starter supplies. I've helped more new players than I can count, often taking time off from what I'm doing to help them find a decent place to set up shop. Yes, there are pillars in a lot of places, but more often than not if you are new and ask someone if you can have a pillar removed they will remove it. The only exceptions are if the pillars are placed to preserve resources. I've given away prime beachfront property that we had pillared because we didn't need it.

In PVE you generally don't wake up to a message such as you did. In fact, there are usually reports in global about giga and titan sightings to let folks know of dangers in their areas. Sure, there are douches. You can't avoid them no matter what the game.But with the right community their shenanigans can be monitored and minimized. We play for the social as well and the challenge aspects of the game. 

43 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

Sorry that happened to the guy but that is what you get on PvP... it's not right, or wrong, it just is.

It has been stated a few times that there are no plans to wipe official upon release. To handle the influx of new players they are going to release new servers(Jeremy had already said "they can afford it"). 

The whole issue here right now with everyone going back and forth is so many people and they all either play on PvP, PvE, Official, Unofficial, etc..etc..etc...

My own personal opinion is that official PvE should not be wiped. As for the rest of the servers... wipe or don't wipe since I don't really play on them it's not my place to say what should or shouldn't happen to them. Can everyone else say the same?

I also play official PVE. I also don't want a wipe and can't find a single long standing player on our server who would look forward to one. 

I personally have a lot of memories with certain dinos that have created somewhat of a bond with these stupid online pixels. I'd hate to lose them to a wipe. The game just wouldn't feel the same anymore. I can't say I wouldn't play anymore. I almost certainly wouldn't play official.

From the first day I started I thought that official servers were safe. That even though it was slower and overall more effort required to build anything that it would mean i was building something that would last as long as I wanted it to (barring obvious in game shenanigans)

Just my 2c.

1 hour ago, spacejam said:

And people wonder why I avoided PVP official like the plague. IT SUCKS. It's for the 'old' alpha's and only them. It's sad to see WC built the game mostly to cater to this selfish crowd.

PVE would have been better for that guy. But it baffles me that WC thinks the PVP side of the game is what lure people to it. No...they want to experience your CONTENT WC. your dinos, your bosses, all the stuff you can do with the items. the players in official PVP at least just don't let them! I wish they would get this through their thick skulls.

I've said it before, as long as the duping bgus are fixed, then a wipe can happen without you all claiming 'oh but dupers will just go right back to duping whaaaaa'.

Also you wanna know what makes an unofficial server with low pop get high pop again? that's right...a WIPE. If it happened to officials, you old players can't tell me that the temptation of a fresh clean server with all those tasty now-free building spots that you had your eye on isn't tempting enough to quickly hop right back in and start anew in a much nicer location. A brand new start isn't the end of the world people. Heaven forbid you experience one of the best games you've played (subjective) all over again, but this time with minimal bugs, better knowledge, and no duped items. Oh woe is you.

3 hours ago, Vrallox said:

I was going to suggest reading the thread since people have given a long list of compelling, unselfish reasons why a wipe is a bad idea but then I noticed we're at over a thousand posts. So I'll just repost some of my own since they're in my post history and easily found rather then have you go through all that.

Here's one:

"We have a history of "equal playing fields" in ARK. SE had an "equal playing field." The PvE servers were covered in pillars and there was constant kiting of animals to other bases in order to acquire better/more land. In PvP it was similar but with direct attacks between players.

Same thing has happened with new maps each time.

As for item duplicators, once they lose everything do you know what they'll do? Duplicate, duplicate, duplicate. They've wiped before and the duplicators just kept duplicating.

To those who want a wipe:

Instead of sharing your hopes and dreams for what you believe a wipe will accomplish how about looking at what happened in similar scenarios or even wipes in the past? We have plenty of evidence pointing to a release wipe being a bad idea. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary."

Here's another:

"And for PvE it'll be even easier. All those players will need to do is drop a pillar with a ceiling on it to claim land. No need to even build anything else until the area they want is secure. Wiping the servers is definitely going to change one thing. Servers are going to be a hell of a lot more hostile to new players than they are now. No more welcome centers. No older players giving them free supplies or dinos. No more unlocked taming pens. Everything's going to be destroyed and the veterans will be too busy rebuilding to care. Global chat is going to be fun. :D"

There were several more of my own posts but it seems the post history isn't that long. You may have to read the thread after all. Sorry. 

Now that we've got that out of the way, are there any reasons that aren't selfish for wanting a wipe? As has been shown in the past most of the reasons pro-wipers give have been proven to be false. Like equal playing fields, no alphas for a time, new players having it easier without established tribes, etc. Seems the only actual reasons for a wipe are personal/selfish. Clobbered by alphas, not getting the land one wants to build on, and trying to keep up with the joneses but failing.

What reasons from the past show a wipe would be a bad idea? There hasn't been a wipe yet so how would anything else show it would be a bad idea?

24 minutes ago, Ulta said:

And people wonder why I avoided PVP official like the plague. IT SUCKS. It's for the 'old' alpha's and only them. It's sad to see WC built the game mostly to cater to this selfish crowd.

PVE would have been better for that guy. But it baffles me that WC thinks the PVP side of the game is what lure people to it. No...they want to experience your CONTENT WC. your dinos, your bosses, all the stuff you can do with the items. the players in official PVP at least just don't let them! I wish they would get this through their thick skulls.

I've said it before, as long as the duping bgus are fixed, then a wipe can happen without you all claiming 'oh but dupers will just go right back to duping whaaaaa'.

Also you wanna know what makes an unofficial server with low pop get high pop again? that's right...a WIPE. If it happened to officials, you old players can't tell me that the temptation of a fresh clean server with all those tasty now-free building spots that you had your eye on isn't tempting enough to quickly hop right back in and start anew in a much nicer location. A brand new start isn't the end of the world people. Heaven forbid you experience one of the best games you've played (subjective) all over again, but this time with minimal bugs, better knowledge, and no duped items. Oh woe is you.

PvP selfish? Pot & kettle xD

11 hours ago, thedogowl said:

Even ignoring the glitches that I'm pretty confident anyone who played in a tribe on official PvP that got large enough to benefit from it used/benefited second hand from, despite what they may claim; There's still a case to be made that anything created pre 1.0 release (or whenever they stop the big balancing) has been obtained via a noticeably different game, a fact that get's truer the further back you go.

Got some max level Rexes that you've had forever? Did they get that XP before dinos were nerfed wholesale? Got a fleet of max level quetzal's? Had them before the flyer nerf? People could have stashes of artifacts that they've got from max player speed cave runs? (Is a thing, have done it, doubt is still a thing) Got oodles of resources gathered from an unbalanced Thero that doesn't gather nearly as much? There's plenty of examples!

My point here is that even taking exploits/duping out of the picture, players entrenched on existing servers have got to where they are playing a different game than the people who would be coming in post release, and I think if I were them I'd want an even playing field to start.

But isn't this an irrelevant argument?  Should I feel slighted that children with no jobs can play all day and thus have an unfair advantage? I mean they can play longer than me so they can achieve things before I do, perhaps easier than I do.  

The fact that someone else who played legitimately at the time should be knocked back to 0 for the purpose of allowing new players to have a sense of balance seems very backwards. Slighting your current players to allow for a since of balance that new players won't even realize they've been granted. Not to mention creating instant hostility between old and new players. 

Here we are again , another day another lack of any kind of response on this. So wildcard...

Let me ask you this, even if you fixed the duping and stop the ddos which not even some of the biggest gaming companies can prevent , why would you let all the duped items , dinos , and even duplicated characters remain in the game ? If you have no way of knowing what's legitimate and what's not then how do you fix the current problem ? I have 5000 mantis kibble in a stash location that I got from a duping server and I've already traded about 5000 already. So what happens to all the illegitimate gains ? All the stuff that is already spread throughout servers far and wide ? There is no alternative to a full 100% server wipe to deal with the problem that I know of and because you refuse to wipe or acknowledge the problem , you have created a downward spiral that will only continue to grow further out of control until the playerbase just leaves and the only ones left are the dupers and the new beach dwellers who are blown away by such an amazing game that they don't realize it is only an illusion, and there lies deep problems underneath. Wildcard , if you want to finish making a great game and not have your dedicated players leave, then you need to fix this and you need to wipe the servers before release. It doesn't matter how many people complain , that's your only option to save this game. You need to stop the cheating because no one is going to grind out anything when the tribe across the mountain is just going to ddos the server and dupe tek gates all night , effectively shutting down the server every few minutes to stockpile stuff that another mega tribe will take after they fill the server to cap and offline them. 

I've been here since day one on Xbox. I have 190 days of my life invested in this game. I've played solo , duo , medium tribes ; I've been the leader of a 30 person alpha tribe for months. I've watched your game evolve, the good and the bad. And it's an amazing game. You guys have made something that no one else and no other company has even attempted to make. The sheer complexity of this game means that even after 190 days played I still don't know everything. And I still learn something new almost every day. These cheaters and lowlife ddosers will be the nail in the casket if they can't be dealt with by release ; however , as a team I know you guys can work hard and accomplish what you have dreamed of. You're almost at release, so while you guys plot and plan every other detail , please don't release this game before you deal with the cheating ( and if you have a plan to fix it without wiping the servers then I am all for it , but the lack of response is just disheartening to a lot of players including myself)

I think everyone here in this forum , whether they agree or disagree with me, loves this game and is passionate about it. If you look back at the patch notes you will notice that most of the changes to the game were based on ideas created or reinforced by the community , and that right there shows you listen to us and that you do care. So if you're listening now , thank you.   

-TVNM     

(Server 425/664/1009/813/64/113)

3 hours ago, spacejam said:

Was expecting a story of a map covered in pillars and foundations or bases in all the easy build spots.  I finished reading this and didn't find a single thing that I wouldn't expect from PVP.  This was basically a story of we need a wipe because people are mean.  I play PVE to not deal with this and sounds like this person should too. 

3 hours ago, spacejam said:

OK I'm a PvE player on X-Box on an official server.  Now that I've said that - This story sounds so stupid (I hate using that word) If this is about a PvP server(s) which unless I'm wrong means you are supposed to KILL/DESTROY everyone else on the map right? Is this not the purpose of PvP? If it is not then what is the purpose of PvP (please someone help me with the explanation on this PLEASE). If an individual does not want to be under the constant threat of destruction why wouldn't you play on PvE? If I understand this game correctly (I think I do) then the major difference between PvE and PvP is that on one you can randomly destroy/kill other peoples/tribes stuff. It sounds like the PvP servers are trying to be PvE servers which makes absolutely no sense to me at all...

I would think if these players came to the PvE server I play on (or any other one) and ran into almost any of the veteran players (or other new players for that matter) they would have had a very different (much happier??) experience and would likely still be playing.

1 hour ago, YUSHOETMI said:

What reasons from the past show a wipe would be a bad idea? There hasn't been a wipe yet so how would anything else show it would be a bad idea?

Each new map shows it. The same shenanigans that happened during each map's release will happen after a wipe.

Not only were people dropping pillars all over Ragnarok but since it was a popular mod before becoming official the veteran players knew all the choice spots and grabbed them within minutes of it being released. Any new players or people new to the map didn't stand a chance. Look at the forums. So many threads complaining about the pillar forests that Wildcard released a patch to try and fix the problem.

A wipe is simply bad news. I can't help but root for it though because it feels like those who are for the wipe are voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party. I'm conflicted about that. While it'll be amusing to read their posts complaining about having their faces eaten by leopards after having voted for the wipe the rest of us will have to deal with the aftermath as well. New players will have to experience all of thatt too and it's sad that that will be their first impression of the game.

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

I could be mistaken but I believe you said before that you do not play on official servers, if that is the case then why exactly would you even care about a wipe on the official servers? As I have said before, you are entitled to your opinion but to sit here and try to decide the fate of groups that you do not interact with ingame ... well that is one of the problems we have here. To many people want to try and have a say in an aspect of the game that they have nothing to do with. If you are on an unofficial server and want it wiped then by all means push to have it wiped, just please leave the rest of us out of your crusade.

44 minutes ago, Thexone said:

But isn't this an irrelevant argument?  Should I feel slighted that children with no jobs can play all day and thus have an unfair advantage? I mean they can play longer than me so they can achieve things before I do, perhaps easier than I do.  

The fact that someone else who played legitimately at the time should be knocked back to 0 for the purpose of allowing new players to have a since of balance seems very backwards. Slighting your current players to allow for a since of balance that new players won't even realize they've been granted. Not to mention creating instant hostility between old and new players. 

Is it really necessary to resort to insults and name calling? There are better ways to express your opinion without lowering yourself to these tactics.

I have recently said this so I will once again repeat it... I play on Official PvE, I do not care what happens to Official Pvp, or Unofficial or Player Dedicated, or any of the other servers... my reason for not caring aren't selfish... it's because I don't play on those servers so to be fair I shouldn't try to have a hand in determining their fate. Long and short my yard is Official PvE... I'll worry about keeping my yard clean and let everyone else worry about keeping their yards clean.

Now, can anyone else agree to do the same or should we all sit here and try to ruin the game for people that we will probably never have a chance to interact with?

Mjsechrest, my name is not WildCard but, I agree with what you say. Yes these cheating did a lot of damage to the game itself because of server transfer, but in counterpart, I really hope they get a good system to fix this. Yes I'm really passionate about the game. Maybe im daydreaming but, i really think that they observe and slowly adjust the game. I really see improvement thats why i still play the game. Last patches they patched a big bunch of bugs. I think the duping and the anti cheating system will be improved just before the release with final touch up. 

4 hours ago, spacejam said:

Things like that will keep happening, despite they wipe or not.

And for things like that I'll never give an opportunity to ARK PVP. There is very slim line between this and what is considered bullying.

And dont think I hate PVP because I dont know how to play games. I was Gladiator at WoW, meaning I had really high skills with the class/spec and team I played long time ago. I love PVP.

But ARK PVP is toxic. I dont know what fail in the model, but something really fail. Dont know if its the possibilty to communicate with enemies, or the lack of rules to not permit a tribe bully a whole server, or other thing. But something is really wrong.

1 hour ago, Vrallox said:

Each new map shows it. The same shenanigans that happened during each map's release will happen after a wipe.

Not only were people dropping pillars all over Ragnarok but since it was a popular mod before becoming official the veteran players knew all the choice spots and grabbed them within minutes of it being released. Any new players or people new to the map didn't stand a chance. Look at the forums. So many threads complaining about the pillar forests that Wildcard released a patch to try and fix the problem.

A wipe is simply bad news. I can't help but root for it though because it feels like those who are for the wipe are voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party. I'm conflicted about that. While it'll be amusing to read their posts complaining about having their faces eaten by leopards after having voted for the wipe the rest of us will have to deal with the aftermath as well. New players will have to experience all of thatt too and it's sad that that will be their first impression of the game.

Quite wrong tho. The problem with ragnarock wasn't the alphas blanketing the map with pillars, (well it was but go with me here), the problem was the game allowed them to do that with transferring being possible. Had they not allowed transfers onto the new servers for the map then the likelyhood is players would have taken up those spots and whilst bob and his "alpha" tribe where too busy crafting endless pillars somebody would have built up and wiped them out. Alas they just transferred an obelisk or two full of pillars and took over a map. 

If a wipe occurs then how are they going to do that straight away? Magically magic up some magic pillars of magic and place them around the map. Also you're talking about PvE here which is solely where that problem lays and one of the many reasons  I wish PvE had just stayed on the "suggestions" table in development. 

One of my favourite experiences in ark was when they brought out the centre. Moving to that map and starting again was incredible. The server was vibrant, wars where plenty and the community was alight. Now it's just "meh". 

Past expereicnes and knowledge of the game to me would suggest a wipe is the best way forward for the game. 

1 hour ago, arkark said:

Things like that will keep happening, despite they wipe or not.

And for things like that I'll never give an opportunity to ARK PVP. There is very slim line between this and what is considered bullying.

And dont think I hate PVP because I dont know how to play games. I was Gladiator at WoW, meaning I had really high skills with the class/spec and team I played long time ago. I love PVP.

But ARK PVP is toxic. I dont know what fail in the model, but something really fail. Dont know if its the possibilty to communicate with enemies, or the lack of rules to not permit a tribe bully a whole server, or other thing. But something is really wrong.

Pretty much everyone seems to be missing the main point tho. Its poopty business to release a game that already has a full blown toxic following. If you are going to take a game from alpha to full release and charge 4x the price that most alpha testers played. you need to wipe other wise the 1000's of people the will buy the game on release will just simply return the game costing WC pooploads.

I know for myself If I purchased a game that's just been launched, and log onto the first server I see. an I load into a zerg base. or I die instantly because someone has place spawn spikes everywhere I wouldn't be considering this game as a long term option to play and would likely just return it.  If this happens WC will suffer

Its got nothing to do with the felling of all the cry babies that don't want to loose their progression but everything to do with the people that pre-ordered the special edition for $150 and cant log onto any official server because they are already full of people telling fresh spawn to try a new server, this one belongs to ARB tribe.

There is a core difference in joining the game a year after its been out to actually releasing the game to the public in full. The two ideas couldn't be any different

2 hours ago, Dark2084 said:

Is it really necessary to resort to insults and name calling? There are better ways to express your opinion without lowering yourself to these tactics.

I have recently said this so I will once again repeat it... I play on Official PvE, I do not care what happens to Official Pvp, or Unofficial or Player Dedicated, or any of the other servers... my reason for not caring aren't selfish... it's because I don't play on those servers so to be fair I shouldn't try to have a hand in determining their fate. Long and short my yard is Official PvE... I'll worry about keeping my yard clean and let everyone else worry about keeping their yards clean.

Now, can anyone else agree to do the same or should we all sit here and try to ruin the game for people that we will probably never have a chance to interact with?

I had to double check to make sure you were replying to me.  Insult? Name calling? Where!?   Neither of those are the type of things I engage in so I'm confused.  I don't really want to get off topic or derail the conversation so i'll get back on topic.   Part of me would be cool with a wipe for PVP and no wipe for PVE but that's like me saying I don't care about the gameplay of the players who don't want a wipe. Granted I feel PVP players are cool with a wipe because having to start over is part of the mechanic of the game type they play under, it truly wouldn't be a big deal for some of them. But I won't speak for those on a game type I don't play. 

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived