Parasaurs are actually good!

DinoDash

I was thinking about how lame parasaurs are and how nobody uses them, but I realized that they have a very specific role. They are used as a horse in that they can carry a substantial amount of weight while still being fast. There are only few creatures with this role and parasaurs are the only ones in early game, trikes can carry a lot but are very slow, raptors are fast but can barely carry anything. So in conclusion parasaurs are good early game mounts for traveling, although they will probably be replaced by actual horses.

5 minutes ago, DinoDash said:

I was thinking about how lame parasaurs are and how nobody uses them, but I realized that they have a very specific role. They are used as a horse in that they can carry a substantial amount of weight while still being fast. There are only few creatures with this role and parasaurs are the only ones in early game, trikes can carry a lot but are very slow, raptors are fast but can barely carry anything. So in conclusion parasaurs are good early game mounts for traveling, although they will probably be replaced by actual horses.

This is true. They can carry a good amount of weight for a lower level person and still be pretty fast. Trikes can carry more, but are slower.

This same paradigm is reflected in the upper tier as well. Paracers can carry a lot and are still pretty fast. Brontos can carry more, but are slower.

It's a tradeoff between speed and strength.

Side note: Dossier says that the Parasaur is defenseless and not a threat. Don't believe it! If you've never picked up a Parasaur egg with them around, you have no idea what true herbivore fury is.

Also I've used a high level one in conjunction with a low level Raptor to take out a high level Carno. Almost lost both of them, but we won, and saved what little supplies I had at the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, Im going to tame one on my new server tonight.  becaue i Lost my trike to a level 135 raptor i now call Berry Killer   Becasuer he killed my Berry Getter( the trikes name) i like to name them by thier jobs. My first ptera is always finally flight, argy is usall Heavy transport, Quezts - the farm machine

My Ducky (145 mejo tamed parasaur) saved me and several tames on multiple occasions... My very first low level Bronto tame on The Center was her last one though... We'd been through carnos, raptors, and a very large swarm of ants that we ended up leading away... But in the last 5 minutes of the tame, a Rex showed up. Level 15, so not a HUGE problem... if I had anything that could take it... which I didn't.

We started by running away, but the rex turned around and was going for the bronto. I'd waited too long for that thing, wasn't about to lose it.... So we charged in, first thing I did was jump off, whistle her to attack it, and then ran around behind to stab it with spears. It was working fairly well, rex couldn't decide who it wanted to eat, but we weren't doing that much damage.... In the end, Ducky died a true warrior, facing that rex head on, and she bought enough time for the bronto to finish taming, and she slapped that rex so hard its body flipped over completely. We stayed a moment to mourn the fallen, and then headed back to base.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Side note: Dossier says that the Parasaur is defenseless and not a threat. Don't believe it! If you've never picked up a Parasaur egg with them around, you have no idea what true herbivore fury is

Yep, made that mistake once, when there were several Paras in the area.  Was swarmed by angry Parasaur fury....very embarrassing.

8 hours ago, DinoDash said:

Yeah I'm level 95 and would be lost without my removal trucks ? they kart my stone from my quarry on a daily basis and in a pack stomp any attackers to pieces

9 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Side note: Dossier says that the Parasaur is defenseless and not a threat. Don't believe it! If you've never picked up a Parasaur egg with them around, you have no idea what true herbivore fury is.

All of my current paras were tamed following me grabbing one of their eggs. Duck n' weave, tranq arrows to the face, a few bolas saved ;) 

• Volunteer Moderator

Yes they are ok beginner mounts for carrying. I'd rather use a pig over them easier and faster to tame. But I rarely tame either unless one walks by while already taming something. Just for fun I tame a parasaur set on aggressive and let it go into the wild. Seldom do they last longer then a hour. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Lolzoor said:

They are not really a begginer dino, the saddle is hard-ish to make and the tame requires a lot of time and narcos.

What? It is 100 percent a beginner mount takes less then a hour for 150 level saddle is cheap... level 30 only 8 narco berries ... 

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Parasaur

Parasaurs really really shine, when it comes to scorched earth. And it is always my first tame unless i spot a jerboa first, then it is my second. Parasaurs save lives on scorched earth, they might not battle the best, but they can buy you plenty of time of you level only health and weight, i usually pin sabers and things in place with it while i spear/pike/arrow things to death.

Parasaurs are heavily underrated, until you dont get to have things like trikes.

I know this isnt a scorched thread, but this is the place where parasaurs and paracers really, really shine and get a lot of utility, partially because you do not have any other choices for carrying, but mainly because their utility really comes out when you have no other choice, you get a whole new appreciation for them.

26 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

Parasaurs really really shine, when it comes to scorched earth. And it is always my first tame unless i spot a jerboa first, then it is my second. Parasaurs save lives on scorched earth, they might not battle the best, but they can buy you plenty of time of you level only health and weight, i usually pin sabers and things in place with it while i spear/pike/arrow things to death.

Parasaurs are heavily underrated, until you dont get to have things like trikes.

I know this isnt a scorched thread, but this is the place where parasaurs and paracers really, really shine and get a lot of utility, partially because you do not have any other choices for carrying, but mainly because their utility really comes out when you have no other choice, you get a whole new appreciation for them.

The Camel is also a really good SE mount, even for a low level player. Not only for hauling things, and some limited fighting... but also just for the water carrying thing. Just gotta find one that doesn't have a herd nearby and hit it in the face with your boomerang.

On my single player game, I have a herd of them that I lead around from a raptor. Works pretty well I think.

2 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

The Camel is also a really good SE mount, even for a low level player. Not only for hauling things, and some limited fighting... but also just for the water carrying thing. Just gotta find one that doesn't have a herd nearby and hit it in the face with your boomerang.

On my single player game, I have a herd of them that I lead around from a raptor. Works pretty well I think.

Oh yeah, they are obviously amazing mounts, and great for survival. But parasaurs are your absolute starter (aside from jerboa). With Parasaur being a farily easy, expendable tame at level 10 (mainly because thats when you get the saddle) and Morellatops being at level 15 (same reason). Morellatops are great because they also have some great speed and wicked knockback. 

And Paracers, well they make amazing mobile homes, or taming platforms(for rock elementals), battle platforms and Heavy carriers.

32 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

Oh yeah, they are obviously amazing mounts, and great for survival. But parasaurs are your absolute starter (aside from jerboa). With Parasaur being a farily easy, expendable tame at level 10 (mainly because thats when you get the saddle) and Morellatops being at level 15 (same reason). Morellatops are great because they also have some great speed and wicked knockback. 

And Paracers, well they make amazing mobile homes, or taming platforms(for rock elementals), battle platforms and Heavy carriers.

Taming a decent level Morellatops even before you get the saddle should be a priority. If you can knock one out before you're able ot make the saddle, by the time it's done taming you'll probably be able to.

They are honestly one of the best mounts you can get up until you get a Paracer or Rex. (which are the best until you can get an elemental, which other than being slow is pretty much the best thing on the map. Great at gathering wood, great at gathering meat, great at gathering stone/sand, and great at murder. What's not to love about these things?)

59 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Taming a decent level Morellatops even before you get the saddle should be a priority. If you can knock one out before you're able ot make the saddle, by the time it's done taming you'll probably be able to.

They are honestly one of the best mounts you can get up until you get a Paracer or Rex. (which are the best until you can get an elemental, which other than being slow is pretty much the best thing on the map. Great at gathering wood, great at gathering meat, great at gathering stone/sand, and great at murder. What's not to love about these things?)

True, but this is a thread about Parasaurs, so pointing out what makes them good in places like scorched earth, shows their utility. Parasaurs are starters, there will always be something better, but in a pinch, Parasaurs come in real handy.

Their only flaw in my opinion, is that they can't really harvest berries. Sure, if you stand on low ground and hit a bush on high ground, it will gather a little, but not enough to make it worth the trouble. So, unlike the trike/morellatops, you can't use them as an effective stepping stone to a bigger better herbivore.

They are still great early transport, and hauling. And a whole herd of them can easily protect you from carnivores, especially if you level health primarily on the one you'll ride, as wilds will focus more on that one than the others.

I like being unconventional in my approach to things. While everyone else is going "Just tame a raptor/carno/low level Rex for early protection" I like to go "What else can be good for that?" And in the late game, everyone else is sprinting around on their rexes, spinos, gigas, whatever... I'm just stomping away on my bronto. And just like the wild brono AI, I am confident that I am perfectly safe up there. There's nothing that spawns in my grazing lands that can pose a legitimate threat except maybe a rare high level alpha rex, and I bet that Braun (hauler bronto, 20k+ health, 400% melee) and Kane (murder bronto 20k+ health, currently 755% melee) could take that too.

1 hour ago, spacejam said:

IF they got a little more berries when harvesting i would be happy. but they are worse than doing by hand.  I am in the middle of raising a tribe of war pigs, as i have the saddle to end all saddles for the old poo machines

On my primitive+ server, my pig helped defend my base, got the killing blow on a pretty high level raptor. only thins defending the base at the time were me with a pickaxe, a turtle leveled only in health, and the pig that I'd just tamed literally 5 minutes prior.

Archived